PDA

View Full Version : got into a accident

USHER
10-04-2005, 12:33 AM
i just got into an accident in my gf's car.

on 68th street heading southbound in between the 16th avenue where the red light camera is. light turned yellow and i didnt want to risk getting the ticket since its my gf's car. had to stop pretty fast but didnt screetch the tires. 10 seconds after the guy behind couldnt stop fast enough and rear ended me. i believe its not my fault but can someone please confirm. he also offered to pay for it and not go through insurance.

question is if i go through insurance will the premium go up for me? and would it go up on my gf's car.

thanks

ryder_23
10-04-2005, 12:34 AM
You were not at fault. You were rear ended, your premiums wont go up, and they wont go up for her car. How badis the damage? Did you call the police (since your talking about no insurance, have a feeling you didnt)

USHER
10-04-2005, 12:39 AM
did not call the police. damage wasnt over 1 thousand.

im very surprised how the car held up. seems there are only 2 long scratchs cant see any dents either. but im just making sure, if there is any extensive damage i cannot see i will go through insurance

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Yea, you're good, luckily your insurance won't go up, but go double check how bad the damage is, is it bad? what needs to be replaced? For whomever hit' you's sake I'd suggest going cash, insurance is insane and nobody wants to use it to file a claim.

Fucking insurance, you HAVE to have it, but nobody DARES use it. Completely fucking useless. Ahem, none the less, i'm glad you seem not hurt, had you called the police it would've been a bigger mess. Get the damage (if any) appraised and talk to the guy. Going through insurance if the guy really doesn't want to would be a dick move, so unless he is super shady and doesn't give you money for your broken-ness, don't go through it.

Team_Mclaren
10-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Raz

Fucking insurance, you HAVE to have it, but nobody DARES use it. Completely fucking useless. Ahem

Think about what you just posted, cause this comment is really dumb.

FiveFreshFish
10-04-2005, 01:26 AM
If there's bodily injury involved - no matter how minor - it will have to be put through as a claim.

USHER
10-04-2005, 01:32 AM
^ thanks i forgot to ask about that. going to the doctors tommorow. so even if its not my car i would still have to claim through her insurance?

FiveFreshFish
10-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Yes, you have to go through her insurance unless you have a clause in your own policy that covers you when you are driving a car that's not your own.

USHER
10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
if i make an injury claim will the premiums go up for either me or my gf?

FiveFreshFish
10-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Premiums shouldn't be affected. It's the other guy's fault; his insurance company will be paying out.

Nufy
10-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Premiums shouldn't be affected. It's the other guy's fault; his insurance company will be paying out.

And then we'll all pay for it.......

Ben
10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Think about what you just posted, cause this comment is really dumb.

How so? It's true. You have to have insurance, but try avoid using it whenever possible, because if you make a claim, your insurance goes up. It's there for massive claims, but things that should be claimes often arnt, because of the reprocussions afterwards.

Looks to me like you've got a Vendetta against Raz in the last few threads.

Raz
10-04-2005, 10:11 AM
it's all good, we all have our differences in opinions and I seem to voice mine a bit, ahem, loudly ;) I hate insurance, I hate the concept of something that is so useless, yes its 'good' to have if you hit a bus load of school children, but then again, you'll never ever ever ever ever have cheap insurance again, nor would you really want to drive, err.. No wait I got sidetracked ... Insurane sucks.

Usher, unless you are seriously injured, don't file an injury claim, it'll only get you ~2500 bucks for unproven soft-tissue and it'll usually go towards if you actually missed any work because of your terrible injury.

I'm all for going through insurance if the damage is terrible and there is no alternative for a cash settlement, but unless you are ACTUALLY hurt, which I doubt because of the lack of 'bumper is where backseat used to be'-ness, I'd find it a bit unethical to file an injury claim.

This isn't the US guys, we all can't 'get rich' if get rear ended, yes getting rear ended sucks, but if its just a few scratches, get it touched up by a body shop for a hundred bucks or whatever and settle it with the guy. I was rearended twice last winter, and I just asked for 10 bucks from the soccermom in the minivan, and 20 bucks from the guy in the mercedes, I was driving my old 5000S Audi and it didn't have anything but small scratches, that I went and got touch up paint for both times, no biggie, i wasn't hurt, only the headlamp was cracked on the minivan and no real damage to the mercedes either...

We should just be happy everyone is alive and all get along :)

Team_Mclaren
10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I disagree that insurance is useless, i'm sure you'll feel the same way when someone rear-eneded you without insurance...

Yes you're right, people try to avoid claiming insurance, most of us do. But it is still required for a purpose. It is not "completely useless"

lastprodigy
10-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I hope you got all his info including his insurance jsut incase...I ran into one of those "i dont wanna gie you my insurance info, lets just do it privately"....and guess who didnt answer their phone for the next 3 months till i got the cops involved :thumbsdow

stevieo
10-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ben

How so? It's true. You have to have insurance, but try avoid using it whenever possible, because if you make a claim, your insurance goes up. It's there for massive claims, but things that should be claimes often arnt, because of the reprocussions afterwards.

Looks to me like you've got a Vendetta against Raz in the last few threads.

what makes you think peopel will pay you if they don't have insurance?

People pay cash because they don't want their insurance affected. If I don't have insurance, what makes you think I'm gonna give you anything?

USHER
10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
I hope you got all his info including his insurance jsut incase...I ran into one of those "i dont wanna gie you my insurance info, lets just do it privately"....and guess who didnt answer their phone for the next 3 months till i got the cops involved :thumbsdow

shitty thing is a banged my head pretty hard and i was pretty out of it. i was dazed and didnt realize what was going on. he wrote down his drivers info im going to his house and try to get the rest of his info. thanks for the advice

lastprodigy
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
yeah i got the drivers license but it took the cops 3 onths to even look into it...make sure you get the insurance company in the least and the policy number if you can! good luck

USHER
10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
thanks he co-operated so no need to worry now.

but can someone please actually confirm if my girlfriends insurance will go up if i make an injury claim. because the only reason im not is that i would not want my gf to pay extra money on her insurance because of me. i am suffering from soft-tissue injury. my neck and lower back are very sore but im putting off the claim until im 100% sure it will not raise my gf's premium becasue im getting mixed signals. so if you know please explain clearly.

thanks

lastprodigy
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
i dont think it would be an issue since the other parties insurance would be covering it...if you were at fault it may be a problem, but I highly doubt it!

Zero102
10-05-2005, 08:33 AM
If you make an injury claim, odds are that the other driver will no longer want to settle cash.

Okay, since I know this can be a bit confusing, I'll try to clarify the injury thing a little more.

There is something called Section B, it's carried on all insurance policies. It's essentially no-fault insurance. What it is there for, is paying for treatments you require as a result of an accident. It will be provided to you by your G/F's insurance company (unless you have insurance, then I think they pay it), and it will not affect her premiums at all. There are caps for treatment costs and such, but it's primary purpose is so that you can afford to get in for treatment asap. This is mandantory coverage, and like I said, is no-fault, so it's available to you even if you were at fault.

Now, that is completely seperate from an injury claim. An injury claim would be seeking compensation for your pain, suffering and lost time from the offending driver's insurance company. This also will not affect your G/F's rates, since it's not her insurance company paying out. Whatever you choose to do is entirely your choice, and don't let the judgements of those on this board affect it.

So, roughly here's the course of action.
Speak with your G/F's insurance company, let them know that the accident happened, and that you need to go see a doctor for your injuries. They will explain section B to you, and send over the forms that the doctor has to fill out. Once the doctor has filled the forms out, send them back to the insurance company, and they will advise you to seek treatment. They will explain the limitations of the coverage that they can provide for you, but they're reasonably generous, and the maximums are there only to prevent abuse of the system. From there, you get treated for your injuries. Now, there are situations where you will be left with out-of-pocket costs for certain treatments, since section B doesn't always cover everything. In these situations, an injury claim is prudent, to recover your costs, and compensation for your injuries (if you feel it is justified).
Otherwise, if you don't feel you need compensation, and section B covers all of the costs, you're done.

I'm a touch spaced out at the moment, so I perhaps have forgotten something, but hopefully this clears things up a little.

Mr_ET
10-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Yea, you're good, luckily your insurance won't go up, but go double check how bad the damage is, is it bad? what needs to be replaced? For whomever hit' you's sake I'd suggest going cash, insurance is insane and nobody wants to use it to file a claim.

Fucking insurance, you HAVE to have it, but nobody DARES use it. Completely fucking useless. Ahem, none the less, i'm glad you seem not hurt, had you called the police it would've been a bigger mess. Get the damage (if any) appraised and talk to the guy. Going through insurance if the guy really doesn't want to would be a dick move, so unless he is super shady and doesn't give you money for your broken-ness, don't go through it.

dude how old are you?? Any mature person will tell you to report it. I understand about the premiums but it's rare people have 2-3 grand just sitting there waiting to pay for the damange on your car.

usually people that don't want to go through insurance are shady.

these days whenever you hit a car it's almost always above 1000$ even if it doen not look like it at the time. Unless the guy bumped you going 10 km/h call the police get a report done and take his insurance plate name liscence number and phone number down.

you can never be safe enough!

SJC
10-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Two things: I'm not so sure claiming something won't affect her premiums eventually - otherwise why would the insurance agencies even ask how many "not at fault" accidents you've been in. Everything I've come across indicates that if you get in what they deem "too many" not at fault accidents (not sure what that number is, could be 3, could be 30 :dunno: ) then they raise your premiums.

#2 ICBC has a process in place where you can go through them, they'll watch and approve the repair process just like a normal claim, but then whoever's at fault has the option to pay out the repair bill in full and then it won't affect their rates at all! Not sure if something similar is in place here, but wouldn't hurt to ask...

SJC

Zero102
10-09-2005, 01:51 PM
SJC, some companies around here do offer that. They see it as 'if we don't pay out, you don't'. I think it's a great idea.

Technically, it's illegal for an insurance company to raise your premiums, or to refuse coverage to you because you have 'too many' not at fault accidents. That said, in my 86 944, I was rear-ended twice, and side-swiped once, and my insurance company refused to renew my policy (all 3 deemed not-at-fault) unless I took full coverage with a $100 deductible. I ended up going as high up as the head office in toronto before they backed up on that one, and renewed my policy at the correct rates, with my previous coverage. So, long story short, it's illegal, but many insurance companies will try to do something about it.