PDA

View Full Version : Get me home from work!

Raz
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Allright, my paycheque STILL hasn't cleared and from just paying the downpayment and first months rent on our new rental house I have 21 cents, Yes, 21 cents left on my bank account... My car ran out of gas this morning on the way to work, so i was thinking, could maybe 5 or 6 people paypal me a buck? I've got the paypal mastercard thing so I can use money in the paypal account instantly, anyone who sends me a buck or so i'll pay you back a buck fifty as SOON as my damn cheque clears :(

I really really really don't want walk home to Beddington from Blackfoot and Glenmore

my paypal addy is [email protected] - I don't know anyone here at work, I'm outsourced here for a data migration, so i thought I'd ask my online buds :)

Rockski
10-04-2005, 10:39 AM
hahahaha your living the life of me now haha good luck man :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
HAHA. Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at you, but this is an amusing thread. I sent $2.50 your way.

Ben
10-04-2005, 10:42 AM
I work right at blackfoot and glenmore (11th st and 60th), I can give you a lift man.

PM me.

Cant leave ya stranded.

Lex350
10-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I work at Mcleod and Glenmore and live in the NW...if you need a ride home pm me.

GTS Jeff
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
A bank will not hold a paycheque, because it's a regular cheque received from the same company with the same amounts and at regular intervals. There's no reason for them to hold the cheque, unless they don't know it's a paycheque, which can happen if:

a. the teller screwed up (not hard considering how much shit they do over and over again)

b. you deposited your cheque through an ATM.

Either way, go visit the bank, and just ask them nicely to release the funds to you because it's a paycheque. That might be a little better than panhandling over the internet...

Khyron
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/crack-is-good.jpg

85 PERCENT OF PANHANDLERS USE THE MONEY TO SUPPORT THEIR ADDICTIONS! DON'T BUY HIM CRACK - GIVE HIM A SANDWICH INSTEAD!

For those keeping up with current events downtown anyway.

Khyron

HRD2PLZ
10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
or befriend your banker... I don't get any of my cheques held and I don't pay any service fees whatsoever :D

RickDaTuner
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/crack-is-good.jpg

Khyron

hahahahaha that has to be the best Crack head picture ever haha lol

Raz
10-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Ooh, befriending banker! good idea ;)

No, my credit is SO bad, that it takes up to three business days to 'release' the funds into my bank account, atleat that is what RBC tells me, I think its bull, but what the hell can I do? :(

A ride home would be excellent, I get off work at 4:30, but I'd rather not be parked here overnite? Then I can't go to work tomorrow! :(

Rotten42, when do you go to work in the morning? and when are you off work?

Ben, you live in SE, Can't possibly ask you to drive me to NW in rush hour! that'd be CRAZY! :D

Man, I hate being poor, its the worst, ever...

Now to go smoke some more crack, I mean.. Eat a sandwich. :rofl:

Mrburnsvw, Thank you Nicole Fisher? ;)

- Rasmus

Raz
10-04-2005, 11:43 AM
p.s I ran out of gas three blocks from work and rolled into a parking lot, so if I get a few more bucks I can go to my car, get my jerry can and fill her up and go home and hopefully i'll have money tomorrow to pay you back.

rc2002
10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
What the? Last time I checked, gas stations accepted credit cards and banks had overdraft limits...

benyl
10-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Raz
No, my credit is SO bad, that it takes up to three business days to 'release' the funds into my bank account, atleat that is what RBC tells me, I think its bull, but what the hell can I do? :(

hmm, if your credit is Soooo bad, what makes you think people here will believe that you will pay them back $1.50 for every dollar they give you? The Banks won't even do it.

Raz
10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
and last time I checked my credit card was massively overdrawn and my bank denied me overdraft because of my terrible credit :(

Ben
10-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I could bring you a gerrycan of fuel no problem! I'm feeling generous today.

Raz
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl

hmm, if your credit is Soooo bad, what makes you think people here will believe that you will pay them back $1.50 for every dollar they give you? The Banks won't even do it.

Why shouldn't I? My credit is bad because I am a landed immigrant having only been here three years and just recently having gotten a real job that can actually pay my bills, as opposed to before living off of credit cards.

Look, if you can't trust me far enough to send me a buck, thats ok, but to those of you who does, of course i'll pay you back - I should have 1300 bucks in my account tomorrow :)

Never heard of good people with bad credit? ;)

Raz
10-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Ben, give me a call 619 7549, and we can meet up after work? A few liters will get me home and to a gas station tomorrow morning so I can finally fill up!

:D :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Ooh, befriending banker! good idea ;)

Regardless of credit, a paycheque is a paycheque. No bank will withhold a paycheque. I suggest you speak with them again. In person and if you don't get what you want, talk to someone higher up. They will NOT hold a paycheque.

The only reason cheques are held is when the bank is worried it might bounce. Paycheques never bounce, hence no reason to hold it.

Originally posted by Raz

That's a slogan I see on debt consolidation posters. :rofl:

benyl
10-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Raz
and last time I checked my credit card was massively overdrawn and my bank denied me overdraft because of my terrible credit :(

Could this be why we shouldn't trust you?

Originally posted by Raz

Why shouldn't I? My credit is bad because I am a landed immigrant having only been here three years and just recently having gotten a real job that can actually pay my bills, as opposed to before living off of credit cards.

Sure, there are a lot of good people, with good intentions living beyond their means.

I am not saying people shouldn't trust you and I am not saying people shouldn't help you out, I am asking why we should trust you based on the information you have given thus far.

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, there is no good reason to trust me I guess? I mean is there a good reason to trust anyone?

My paycheques from my wonderful employer have bounced before, which is probably one of the reasons they hold my cheques now.

During lunch just now I ran dow and put 2.50 in the car and drove it back up to the office here, yay! :)

I can maybe almost make it home on that?

- Rasmus

Mr. Burns
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Raz

Mrburnsvw, Thank you Nicole Fisher? ;)

- Rasmus

My wife:poosie:

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Oh, and Benyl, you drive two '05 nice cars, I'm fairly sure you make a decent living and have good credit. Trust me, I'd like nothing more than to be paid what I should. My company hires me out at between 70 to 140 an hour, and I get roughly 1150 a paycheque every two weeks, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on how much my parking expenses have been that month (my employer pays back parking expenses sometimes) and I work anywhere from 30 to 60 hours a week, evenings, weekends, you name it.

My budget is tight, but it works, i have a budget for everything, gas, insurance, tv, internet, food, just once in a while there is an expense that is hard to fit, ie. a security deposit on a lease, its 900 bucks out of my budget that was a bit hard to budget on.

Money woes, they will end, I just have to work my way up higher, or get a better job ;)

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw

My wife:poosie:

:thumbsup: I'll get you 3.75 tomorrow!

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Ben to the rescue! Thanks Ben! :thumbsup:

Lex350
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Regardless of credit, a paycheque is a paycheque. No bank will withhold a paycheque. I suggest you speak with them again. In person and if you don't get what you want, talk to someone higher up. They will NOT hold a paycheque.

The only reason cheques are held is when the bank is worried it might bounce. Paycheques never bounce, hence no reason to hold it.

That's a slogan I see on debt consolidation posters. :rofl:

not true......the royal bank are a particular bunch of fuck-sticks. They used to put a hold on my cheques to. I was making over 40k at the time and had direct deposit. The final straw came years later when they screwed up and issues cheques to another person with the same account number as my 4 year old daughters account...of course they drained it. I had to fight with them to reinstate the money.....no apology...then they has the gall to question why I was moving my investments out of their bank...along with my mortgage..

Royal Bank = a bunch of A holes!!

Raz
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Also back when their computer system crashed last year, i had four NSFs that I had to claw to get back because their system reported no funds to anyone attempting to withdraw funds for a bill... Total gayness.

I think I might open up a TD account, or, which is the nicest most... Humane bank?

- Rasmus

TurboZombie
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Yah, I had a problem with Royal Bank and missing funds that were never replaced, switch banks!

QuasarCav
10-04-2005, 12:45 PM
I've never had a problem with scotia and I'm a landed immigrant.

I have had a steady job forever though.

b_t
10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I really like Scotiabank. They never hold my paychecks, except once when I deposited it at a branch other then my home branch, but a quick phone call and about two minutes talking to a customer service representative and they released it for me immediately. The only problem is Scotiabank has hardly any branches and ABMs compared to RBC.
BMo and TD are supposed to be pretty good, my buddies use them without many problems.

Aleks
10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
the landed immigrant part should have nothing to do with your money woes... :dunno:

Ben
10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Meh, I could care less about his credit history, or what happened where. I'm not going to judge. None of my business. It's someone who needs a hand, and it's not displacing me at all, why the big discussion? We're not talking about a massive loan request here.

Rockski
10-04-2005, 01:07 PM
i really dislike my rolay account compared to my scotia account.

if you deposit directly to a teller they cant hold your cheques (at least with my scotia experiance) even if you get the chance, get a portion of it in cash and have the rest deposited to your account incase of needed cash (this case) next time..

i dunno, mayby worth a try?

Xtrema
10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Raz
My company hires me out at between 70 to 140 an hour, and I get roughly 1150 a paycheque every two weeks, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on how much my parking expenses have been that month (my employer pays back parking expenses sometimes) and I work anywhere from 30 to 60 hours a week, evenings, weekends, you name it.

Am I reading this right, your company pimps you our for $70-$140/hr for average of 40hrs a week but you only get paid 1/4 of what they charge? WTH?

Lex350
10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I moved my accounts to Scotia....I get good service from them

Raz
10-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Aleks, my old job back in Denmark as an NSC Tech landed me ~70 grand a year CAD. I moved here to learn that someone who calls up with an accent and says that their name is "Rasmus" is not someone people want to hire for a nice job, so I pulled shit jobs at just above minimum wage for a while. Now I finally got 'in' with a company, and i'm barely making more than I was doing data entry, moving cars, flipping burgers, whatever drone work.

I know cool guys with degrees who have a bad accent but understand the language well who have issues finding jobs, it's just not super easy for us immigrants sometimes, it's not always what you know - it's who you know ;)

Hopefully, I know someone who will give me an NSC job soon :D

- Rasmus

Raz
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Am I reading this right, your company pimps you our for $70-$140/hr for average of 40hrs a week but you only get paid 1/4 of what they charge? WTH?

Yup yup. Exactly right, it averages out to just over 15-16 bucks an hour for me to do what I do. I could make more than that working two slack 7-11 jobs ;) (yes, it'd be more time spent, but less actual work, you know?)

- Rasmus

Raz
10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
I moved my accounts to Scotia....I get good service from them

Think I'll give scotia a call, see what they 'feel' like.

Has anybody ever dealt with ABT? (sp) Are they useless for someone who travels? Do they even have online interac transfers?

- Rasmus

Weapon_R
10-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Welcome to a market economy.

benyl
10-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Um, all companies do that. How do you think they make money?

Also, his loaded rate is likely double what he is paid.

Raz
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Yup, Company X hires Company Y to do work, Company Y sends over Tech Q, Tech Q gets paid 15 dollars for his work by Company Y, Company X sends Company Y 85 dollars.

;)

- Rasmus

GTS Jeff
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I used to work at TD a long time ago. I still bank with them though; they're pretty awesome. Not cheap, but you're paying for good customer service all around.

turboMiata
10-04-2005, 03:43 PM
'89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro - Engine Swap.

you sure own quite a few cars......

CRX-R
10-04-2005, 03:54 PM
TD Canada Trust is awesome, I've used them forever. 24.95/mo for unlimited everything plus a safety deposit box. Wicked customer service and it doesn't matter which branch you go to. I go to three different ones regularly and I've never had a check held or a bad experience. They're very helpful! But also a very conservative lender, so if your credit's bad I wouldn't count on them helping in that regard. I had to fight for money from them a couple years back, when at the same time, the other 'big banks' were trying to put it in my pockets at a bit higher interest rate. It all worked out OK though, just had to convince them I wasn't a kid anymore I think.

If you still need a hand, I drive right by there on my way home :thumbsup:

Raz
10-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

you sure own quite a few cars......

Yes?

The mazda is my girlfriends, I gave the 4000s to my brother so he'd have something, the audi 200 has no engine and is standing in my garage at my moms house, and the volvo is not insured nor registered. and today Im actually driving the girlfriends Mazda (i bought it for 300 bucks, not exactly an expensive car:))

Raz
10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm home!

Thanks Ben! :D You're the man (I owe you one! Need any ammo?)
Thanks GTS Jeff, and thanks MrBurnsvw :) (you two will get some pms with interac email transfer happiness in them ASAP)

AcuraTl
10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Raz
I'm home!

Thanks Ben! :D You're the man (I owe you one! Need any ammo?)
Thanks GTS Jeff, and thanks MrBurnsvw :) (you two will get some pms with interac email transfer happiness in them ASAP)

:thumbsup:

good to see everything worked out!!

Ben
10-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Hey, glad I could help.:thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
10-04-2005, 06:06 PM
:)

Gurpy
10-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Glad to know things worked out for you man, always a shame to see someone who actually works hard barely getting by.

Raz
10-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Happens every day in Calgary, lots of people much much worse off than me, I could've theoretically collected twenty bottles and taken the bus home... I'm happy I didn't have to though :)

Gurpy
10-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah, no doubt.

You said you immigrated here...where'd you immigrate from? (just wondering)

Edit: I'm guessing somewhere by Germany??

Mr. Burns
10-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Raz
back in Denmark

Raz
10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Yup Yup, Copenhagen, Denmark - Born and raised, hence my affinity for German automobiles and going very very very fast in them ;)

- Rasmus

Gurpy
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Ohhh sweeet

Celica TVS3
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm glad you got home okay. It's a shitty feeling being stranded without a car.

FiveFreshFish
10-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Raz
I moved here to learn that someone who calls up with an accent and says that their name is "Rasmus" is not someone people want to hire for a nice job

Damn, your written English is way better than the chicken scratch you see on these forums from people whose first (and only) language is English.

Raz
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I've practiced and learned alot from TV (believe it or not) and now have nearly the best English I could want, I had to write Robert on my resume to get my current job though ;)

My brother changed his name on his Resume to Mike and got hired instantly!

Then I tell them they got my name wrong and all of the sudden its OK to be a foreigner, just because I speak the langauge...

Tsk tsk ;)

KLCC
10-04-2005, 10:49 PM
I wonder.... if you were suppose to give out 1.50 for every dollar I put in, what WOULD've happen, if I donate you 1500 (suppose the same amount as to your cheque that's about to come in?) that would actually give you one way ticket to the bankruptcy.....unless we get shafted :rofl:

Raz
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Yea, I thought of that, I think if someone sent me too much money, I would've probably sent it back right away :)

But everyone who sent me money is getting it back tenfold.

Seanith
10-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Raz

But everyone who sent me money is getting it back tenfold.

Isn't tenfold ten times as much? :nut:

Raz
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Yup, it sure is. Not alot of people sent me money, but those who do I am eternally grateful for, and they should be rewarded.

Zero102
10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Stupid question, but I thought tenfold was 2^10 times as much...?

KLCC
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
no, that would be 2 to the 10 times, that is not 10 fold

:confused:

I thought 10 fold is what 10 mulitple the stuff into.....

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Raz
I've practiced and learned alot from TV (believe it or not) and now have nearly the best English I could want, I had to write Robert on my resume to get my current job though ;)

My brother changed his name on his Resume to Mike and got hired instantly!

Then I tell them they got my name wrong and all of the sudden its OK to be a foreigner, just because I speak the langauge...

Tsk tsk ;)

would that be Ripleys Believe it or not? hahaha :rofl:

Raz
10-05-2005, 10:59 AM

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Raz

well, since you said that you learned English mostly from TV shows, and then said "believe it or not" i kinda inferred that it might be a pun. since believe it or not was *is?* a popular TV show

http://www.tv.com/ripleys-believe-it-or-not!/show/10278/summary.html?q=believe+it+or+not

Raz
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Aaaaaah! :)

89coupe
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
How do you access the internet? From work? School?

Cause I'm assuiming if you are just making ends meet you wouldn't have luxury items like cable or internet?

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
How do you access the internet? From work? School?

Cause I'm assuiming if you are just making ends meet you wouldn't have luxury items like cable or internet?

thats quite the contrary, recent studies have shown that people making ends meet, rather splurge the excess money or cable or internet...its something that most people take for granted man. Most people usually dont cut down on Cable TV or Internet, if they did it would make them seem more into poverty...ahh i hate english 233 were studying poverty and the causes of it right now :)

89coupe
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't give a shit what the studies say. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Fuck people are stupid. Live within your means. And we wonder why so many people have zero savings and a shit load of debt. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by AcuraTl

thats quite the contrary, recent studies have shown that people making ends meet, rather splurge the excess money or cable or internet...its something that most people take for granted man. Most people usually dont cut down on Cable TV or Internet, if they did it would make them seem more into poverty...ahh i hate english 233 were studying poverty and the causes of it right now :)

Raz
10-05-2005, 01:18 PM
I have internet at home, yes, I need it for work, without it, i'd be fucked. I also a cellular phone which costs me way too much a month on customers calling me 24/7 with support requests. I get the short end of the stick here dude, I can't NOT have internet or a cell phone or I don't have a job, pretty simple.

89coupe
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Uhh...if you use it for work then shouldn't your work be covering the costs?

I have friends in the IT industry and their work pays for their blackberry, pays for their computer and internet services.

Originally posted by Raz
I have internet at home, yes, I need it for work, without it, i'd be fucked. I also a cellular phone which costs me way too much a month on customers calling me 24/7 with support requests. I get the short end of the stick here dude, I can't NOT have internet or a cell phone or I don't have a job, pretty simple.

Raz
10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, your friends are very lucky. I have to pay for my own shit and I am underpaid, what the fuck am I supposed to do about it? I asked my boss and he'll give me FIFTY dollars a month towards internet and cell phone, that doesn't even put a dent in the business usage charges on my cell.

- Rasmus

89coupe
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I think you should find yourself another job. Obviously your boss is a fucking crook. He can't do that.

Originally posted by Raz
Well, your friends are very lucky. I have to pay for my own shit and I am underpaid, what the fuck am I supposed to do about it? I asked my boss and he'll give me FIFTY dollars a month towards internet and cell phone, that doesn't even put a dent in the business usage charges on my cell.

- Rasmus

Raz
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
No shit sherlock ;) I've been applying for jobs like a maniac. It's hard to find anything, too many people applying for IT jobs.

I think I'd like a cozy evening job as tech support somewheres, Shaw for example, I hear their benefits are good and work environment is relaxed and nice.

I've applied there three times, I also hear the magical number is five times though? ;)

- Rasmus

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Raz
No shit sherlock ;) I've been applying for jobs like a maniac. It's hard to find anything, too many people applying for IT jobs.

I think I'd like a cozy evening job as tech support somewheres, Shaw for example, I hear their benefits are good and work environment is relaxed and nice.

I've applied there three times, I also hear the magical number is five times though? ;)

- Rasmus

change ur name to Randy :dunno: :rofl:

Raz
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Nah, I want a name with Class... Like Rasmus ;)

I'll have to find a REAL equal opportunity employer ;)

- Rasmus

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Nah, I want a name with Class... Like Rasmus ;)

I'll have to find a REAL equal opportunity employer ;)

- Rasmus

word i feel sick everytime i come across an indian guy or a european guy that has changed his name to Mike...its kinda sick all the white guys calling them Mike, then when they get home their names change to Krishna...

Raz
10-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Yup... it sucks

I'm real happy my buddy changed his name back to Manpreet, its much more his name than Frank ever was! :)

- Rasmus

AcuraTl
10-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Yup... it sucks

I'm real happy my buddy changed his name back to Manpreet, its much more his name than Frank ever was! :)

- Rasmus

:rofl:

turbotrip
10-05-2005, 09:12 PM
lol, the best one ive personally seen is a fobbed out east indian guy that worked at walmart and his name tag said Jhonson... lol i had to read his nametag a couple of times because I just couldnt believe it....some people man

QuasarCav
10-05-2005, 09:18 PM
It's the sad truth though, a guy named Saddam could not get a job as easily as someone named Steve.

Lexxan
10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
take the bus like all the other poor people

achtung
10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
out of curiosity, how much did you get?

Raz
10-05-2005, 10:32 PM
3.63 plus a jerry can of gas from Ben, everyone has been repaid by a margin of 1:10 or so.

lexxan: I didn't have two dollars for bus fair, go fuck yourself.

Redlyne_mr2
10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Did you ever have any luck selling the volvo..theres some cash in your pocket.

Raz
10-05-2005, 11:51 PM
The 82 volvo I traded for the 4000s in my sig. I gave that 4000s to my brother to drive.

Ben
10-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Wow, a thread with so much hate and hostility.

I think it's safe to say the problem is solved. Might want to cut down on the financial bashing too.

Cheers