PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD: Info, Chat, Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
We will see either Crosby or Ovechkin here, as we saw neither last year. That'll be exciting. I can't wait for the Kipper Vs. Luongo 8 time showdown. I want Kipper to make Luongo his bitch without even coming within 10 metres of him. We'll see either: Ovechkin, Bertuzzi, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Commy with the champions, or Crosby, Forsberg and crew, and the Newyorkjerseys. Either way, it should be fun. If they want to change the format, they'll have to wait at least one more season for one rotation to be over. I do like the 8 divisional games, but would sacrifice them for more easts I'd think.

AquamosH
07-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Just read in the paper we're going to be seeing Ovechkin, Bertuzzi, Carolina and the rest of that division here.

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Capitals, Thrashers, Hurricanes, Panthers, Lightning. Nice.

Majestic12
07-12-2006, 01:28 PM
No Crosby.
Alexander the Great is in town on Oct 30th.
Cup Champs in town December 5th.

There's a stretch where 5/12 games are against the Nucks (Dec 14 - Jan 2).

Longest road trip is a 6-game one in December: Van, Pho, Anh, LA, Col, SJ

Season opener Oct 5th vs the Grease
Home opener on Oct 7th also vs the Grease

Season ends April 7th... against the Grease.

fordo_11
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
I hate this format, 8 games started to wear thin on me. I would rather have a chance to see every team in the league once. Now if that drops it to 6 division games than I would be happy. I think most fans honestly want to see their team play Crosby, Ovechkin, The Stanley Cup champs, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, etc, etc. You just want to have the chance to see everything the NHL has to offer. This is one of the things I hate about MLB and NFL I want to see what all teams have and I want to see all of the leagues best players in person. I am all for rivalries but I was so done with it by the end of the season, and I disagree that playing a team 8 games will develop tension, give them a hard fought playoff series that is how you create really rivalries.

spyce
07-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by fordo_11
I hate this format, 8 games started to wear thin on me. I would rather have a chance to see every team in the league once. Now if that drops it to 6 division games than I would be happy. I think most fans honestly want to see their team play Crosby, Ovechkin, The Stanley Cup champs, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, etc, etc. You just want to have the chance to see everything the NHL has to offer. This is one of the things I hate about MLB and NFL I want to see what all teams have and I want to see all of the leagues best players in person. I am all for rivalries but I was so done with it by the end of the season, and I disagree that playing a team 8 games will develop tension, give them a hard fought playoff series that is how you create really rivalries.

I agree too. I think 6 games against teams in our division would still do the job of building rivalries

fordo_11
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Way to go NHL Flames play three straight games against the Avs (Feb 15, 17, 20) and that retarded stretch where we see the Nucks 5 times within a month (Dec 9, 14, 26, 27 and Jan 2). The only thing I really like is opening and closing against Deadmonton.

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I like how 2 BOAs at Rexall are on Saturdays. That way I can go. We gotta organize the Beyond army of red cruise.

fordo_11
07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
I like how 2 BOAs at Rexall are on Saturdays. That way I can go. We gotta organize the Beyond army of red cruise.

Now that would be sweet, that is something that could become a tradition.

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I tried last year, nobody was comin up. I went on april 1st. Best damn time ever. Pics might still be kickin around this thread somewhere. If you ever go, go EARLY (2 hours early) enter Rexall right at open. No big flags (no sticks longer than 15 inches, boooo) but go in, and stand in the section by the zamboni entrance. It will fill up with red promptly. That's where the away team enters at Rexall, and where the Flames fans welcome their guys to the warmup. The security let us stay till 5 or so mins into the warmup, which was cool.

mac_82
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I will be buying as many tickets as I can together for every Oil home game to put together a small Calgary cheering section!! When the time comes I will let you guys know how many tickets I have available. I may even be able to have a bbq at my place before hand!

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I will be buying as many tickets as I can together for every Oil home game to put together a small Calgary cheering section!! When the time comes I will let you guys know how many tickets I have available. I may even be able to have a bbq at my place before hand!

:eek: Put me down for both Saturday games right away. Ask me when you get them, and I'll make people show up. :thumbsup: :goflames:

mac_82
07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
If we can get 20+ people we can get group seating. I am sure we can fill that out no problem. I will keep you guys posted. I will try to get tickets to the following games...

Thurs Oct 5 2006
Sat Jan 20 2007
Sat March 3 2007

stevieo
07-12-2006, 06:42 PM

thats sweet mac_82!

I can maybe round a few buddies as well.

keep us updated!

88CRX
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
dibs 2 tickets to all BOA weekend games in edmonton :thumbsup:

i'm still gonna try to buy some but if you get extras please let me know :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Me and my brother are in for any and all. :thumbsup:

Kirbs17
07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Im in for all!!

fordo_11
07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Im in for this too.

Gondi Stylez
07-12-2006, 11:00 PM
let me know... me and some friends would be intertested... i "live" in edmonton so i can meet u guys at the games or just before that! :thumbsup: :goflames:

h_s
07-12-2006, 11:21 PM
so simons gone, is nystrom gonna get his chance?? is lombo signed yet??

im down for a road trip to e-town, got my jersey ready, anyone els e down??

im loving how we lost in the playoffs, keeps the bandwagoners quiet

fordo_11
07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by h_s
so simons gone, is nystrom gonna get his chance?? is lombo signed yet??

im down for a road trip to e-town, got my jersey ready, anyone els e down??

im loving how we lost in the playoffs, keeps the bandwagoners quiet

Nystrom will get a chance but will have to impress big time to stay with the team, but it all depends on the injury to Nilson (which no one knows how long he is out). So Nystroms time in the NHL may depend on that, then again he may spend the year as the extra forward on the team, his performance in camp will go a long way in determining where he plays.

spyce
07-13-2006, 09:09 AM
I can see him subbing in for a game here or there. We basically have Nystrom and Ritchie to plug in wholes if theres an injury or something. That..and maybe some of the russian prospects?

Nissanaddict
07-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Me and my brother are in for any and all. :thumbsup:

Make that 3 for me. :P

duffspec
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm in for the weekend games, I'll need 3 tickets. Gotta represent!

h_s
07-16-2006, 01:59 AM
dont let this thread die, lets talk about prospects, is dustin boyd anywhere near nhl ready?? IS LOMBARDI SIGNED YET??? how long before we see these prospects in action??

Nissanaddict
07-16-2006, 03:35 AM
Boyd, Cracknell, Ryder, etc. Will probably be seen in Omaha next year, unless they tear up training camp (which is always a possibility....who knows) it would be nice allowing us to have all the more trade bait to beef ourselves up further. :thumbsup:

fordo_11
07-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Boyd, Cracknell, Ryder, etc. Will probably be seen in Omaha next year, unless they tear up training camp (which is always a possibility....who knows) it would be nice allowing us to have all the more trade bait to beef ourselves up further. :thumbsup:

I don't know about that, Boyd and Ryder both still have a year of eligibility left in junior so there is still a good chance that they could both go back there. That being said I agree that Omaha is the better place for them, they would just dominate in junior and that can lead to laziness it is better that they face a challange against bigger, stronger, faster competition. As for Cracknell you are right he will be in Omaha, as will Chucko. The only real players that have the ability to crack the Flames roster are Nystrom, Regehr, and Giordano. Of course you could always have a surprise from a player in camp and with the unknown period of time Nilson will be out I would not be surprised to see one of these young players get a shot until Nilson is set to return. Most of these prospects are at least 1-3 years away depending on who we lose and gain over the years, and of course don't be surprised if some fail it is not likely to see Boyd, Ryder, Cracknell, Chucko, Nysrtom, Regehr, and Giordano all make it to the Flames roster there is always bound to be a few who just can't make the transition to the big leagues.

As for Lombardi no he is not signed yet, but the fact that he didn't apply for salary arbitration means he doesn't think he is worth a ton so it is just a matter of time. They could be taking their time because they know it will get done.

My biggest question still remains unanswered and that is does anybody know when the hell Nilson is supposed to be healthy again?

h_s
07-17-2006, 11:46 PM
is it true that we get only 4 goalie transactions (minors to nhl) a year?? i heard this on fan 960 a while back, so swapping boucher or kipper for krahn would be 2 already (last year) so that would mean 2 left.. going with such little options is kinda stupid... is this true?

h_s
07-17-2006, 11:50 PM
My biggest question still remains unanswered and that is does anybody know when the hell Nilson is supposed to be healthy again?

this is an iffy topic to me... in a way i want him to return because he was a playmaker and grinder(as was mccarty, iginla, yelle, juice, and lundmark), worked hard day in and day out and was very underestimated, on the other hand he wasnt as good on the stats area, id like him to stay out for a short period of time so we can get some of our minors a chance, who knows they might be the next ovechkin or crosby

spyce
07-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by h_s

this is an iffy topic to me... in a way i want him to return because he was a playmaker and grinder(as was mccarty, iginla, yelle, juice, and lundmark), worked hard day in and day out and was very underestimated, on the other hand he wasnt as good on the stats area, id like him to stay out for a short period of time so we can get some of our minors a chance, who knows they might be the next ovechkin or crosby

nilson isnt a stats kind of person
he is like yelle in that he brings intangibles to the flames game that you cant measure in stats.
he was one of our best penalty killers and he was able to play in any type of situation

the only player id be willing to let crack the flames lineup out of your young guys not already with a roster spot would be nystrom.

i just dont think chucko, or boyd, or ryder are ready yet

kertejud
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know about that, Boyd and Ryder both still have a year of eligibility left in junior so there is still a good chance that they could both go back there.

Ryder is eligible, but Boyd would be an overager, he will definitely be in Omaha this year. (Ryder cannot play in the AHL though).

As for Lombardi no he is not signed yet, but the fact that he didn't apply for salary arbitration means he doesn't think he is worth a ton so it is just a matter of time. They could be taking their time because they know it will get done.

My guess is that contract length is the issue, Sutter would probably want to get him for a few years at under a million, but Lombo's people would want a 1 year deal so he can potentially cash in at the end of the season (assuming he has a breakout year for him).

He's skating at the prospect devellopment camp right now, so he's on his way.

Nissanaddict
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

Ryder is eligible, but Boyd would be an overager, he will definitely be in Omaha this year. (Ryder cannot play in the AHL though).

Awesome. So if Boyd really lights it up, then we can see him in the lineup eh? That's cool (doubtful I know, but plausible :D)

fordo_11
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah it sounds like Nilson will be ready for the start of the season, so I am not to sure how much of a shot a prospect will get. But it will be interesting to see if one of them can get them self onto this team pushing one of the vets to the box.

As for that goalie rule h_s was asking about, that was the first I have heard of that. I thought the only thing that stoped GM's was the budget and losing certain age/contract players when they are clearing waivers. Maybe one day someone will come up with the answer.

kertejud
07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
The Flames finally signed Tim Ramholt, I was afraid we lost him to the Swiss league forever, its good to know he's coming over, even if he'll be starting the year in Omaha, but I think we could be seeing him in the NHL (yes, ahead of Regehr 2.0 and Giordano) if there are injuries.

Now we just need to get Taratukhin and Trubachev over.

fordo_11
07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
The Flames finally signed Tim Ramholt, I was afraid we lost him to the Swiss league forever, its good to know he's coming over, even if he'll be starting the year in Omaha, but I think we could be seeing him in the NHL (yes, ahead of Regehr 2.0 and Giordano) if there are injuries.

Now we just need to get Taratukhin and Trubachev over.

I don't get why everyone is so high on this guy he had 1 point this year in 42 games in a second rate league, can someone please explain as I actually know very little about him.

kertejud
07-19-2006, 07:43 PM

I don't get why everyone is so high on this guy he had 1 point this year in 42 games in a second rate league, can someone please explain as I actually know very little about him.

He isn't all that offensive to begin with, and because he's young he doesn't get as much ice time nevermind PP time and what not so his numbers suffer (Euro leagues are wierd this way). But the guy loves to play physical and loves the North American game. He was also one of the best defenseman in the Q the year he played there (most of the Q fanatics I've ever spoken too said he was probably the best, but they're from Cape Breton so take it with a grain of salt).

I'm really just excited to see what he can do in the AHL first, I really like this guy and think him and Phaneuf would be one hell of a pairing for the next 10 years.

Kirbs17
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
:werd: Ive heard some good things about him in passing. Phanuef and him would be interesting together, but lets see how he does in the A.

fordo_11
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Cool, he is honestly one of the few Flames prospects I know nothing about. I always wondered why people liked him so much, and when I looked at his numbers I was totally confused. Let's hope he becomes as good as you guys claim.

h_s
07-23-2006, 01:47 AM
somebody told me giordano is gone in place of a 7th d-man, is this true

Kirbs17
07-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Not that Im aware of?? I cant find a sorce on this

cman
07-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Incase you didn't know already...
Tanguay will wear 40, Friesen 16, Zyuzin 7 and McLennan 29

88CRX
07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cman
Incase you didn't know already...
Tanguay will wear 40, Friesen 16, Zyuzin 7 and McLennan 29

where can i confirm this? i have an order at jersey city to go place :thumbsup:

spyce
07-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

where can i confirm this? i have an order at jersey city to go place :thumbsup:

if you go to calgaryflames.com they had some news article with a picture of all 4 of them wearing their respective jersey

slick2404
07-23-2006, 11:50 AM
#14 save for FLEURY COMMMMON PLEASE, just one more season!!

fordo_11
07-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by slick2404
#14 save for FLEURY COMMMMON PLEASE, just one more season!!

Yeah right if you want a cracked out player who can't even find the net in a rec league on your team, his jersey is closer to being retired than worn by him again.

Nissanaddict
07-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah lol. I saw him at Coyotes once....man he was messed right the hell up.

fordo_11
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah lol. I saw him at Coyotes once....man he was messed right the hell up.

And that is out of the norm, he is always messed right the hell up.

mac_82
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM

And that is out of the norm, he is always messed right the hell up.

I saw him at the Chinook theatre a couple years ago and he looked HAGGARD.

l8braker
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
^ :eek:

A buddy of mine used to live by him in the hay day, and Theo used to drive an Rt/10 Viper and was the nicest guy. They ran into him not too long ago and said he was a complete asswipe. That's what hard drugs will do to you kids, so stay away from them, mmmmkay...

Back to the hockey talk :goflames:

Nissanaddict
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
:werd: Let's do an objective comparitive Flames 2006-2007 dealie

Forwards from best to worst IMO

Lost:
Simon
Donovan
LeClerc

Gained:
Tanguay
Friesen

Tanguay > Simon + Donovan + LeClerc x2
Friesen > Donovan or LeClerc on their own, and maybe even Simon, we'll see.

Defense
Lost:
Leopold
Hulse
Marchment

Gained:
Zyuzin

Leopold > Zyuzin, but having Hulse and Marchment off the ice and having Richie Regehr or Giordano in their place will offset that a bit, so it's not tragic. Our defense has taken a very minor hit if that (Ference might play like he did in the playoffs for next season, and Mark and Richie can only get better)

Goalies
Lost:
Boucher

Gained:
Noodles

Noodles > Boucher. Boucher = shutout streak, and that's it. Has done nothing else important ever. Also, he's $400 000 more expensive. Noodles is comfortable as a backup, and is an asset in the locker room.

Best GA in the league...likely to repeat? Definitely. Kipper is still Kipper. If Hamrlik stays healthy, he'll be great for #1 pairing with Phaneuf (do remember that last season was strange, in that Hamrlik was injury prone and Pronger wasn't...weird eh? Let's hope that goes back to norm). Regehr, Ference, Warrener, Zyuizin will fill out the bottom 4 juuuust fine.
Bottom 3 in GF in the league, likely to repeat? Not really. With a coach who has more time to concentrate on offense (well Playfair will probably stick to defense as that was his focus, and he did a stellar job, and give the newcomer coach...forgothisname, the offensive duties, I can deal with that), and the addition of Tanguay, and essentially replacing Donovan with Friesen, it will be much better. Even if our secondary scorers don't pick it up, we'll still be in the top 20 somewhere I'd imagine (I am being pessimistic however, as Tanguay will also make Iggy a ton better as he won't be constantly double-teamed).
Division lead, likely to repeat? Very. Vancouver thinned out on defense badly, and lost Bertuzzi and probably Carter. They must realize that the problem was in the 4-6 defenseman and the play style, and not the goaltending. Auld was good. Luongo is great, but he will face a ton of shots like last year, unless new coach does a great job. The Avalanche lost Blake and Tanguay, and gave away Aebischer for a bad right-glove-handed goalie (which works great for Iggy, our right handed shooter). I see Colorado falling this year, and not making the cut. Same with Vancouver. Edmonton is still a wildcard with so many empty spots, but they are running out of good players to fill said spots. Dwayne Roloson will likely NOT repeat his playoff performance...or maybe he will (make amazing saves, and let in weak shots)....and is getting paid more than Kiprusoff. Minnesota is the only team (in the NorthWest) other than Calgary that has improved indefinitely this off-season. Adding Pavol Demitra to play with his buddy Gaborik, and throwing in Rolston, you have some great forwards. The question is, will they score under LeMaire's system? They CAN...but it is harder (same with Sutter's system mind you, but it's Playfair time now). Minny's defense and goaltending are good...I can see Manny Fernandez being even better this year than last, and Josh Harding is a very capable backup.

h_s
07-24-2006, 05:19 PM
so whose taking charge of the meet up in e-town for the oilers home opener against the flames

mac_82
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
im working on getting tickets.

Kirbs17
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Hows that goin?

CRXguy
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
im working on getting tickets.

Hook me up y0!! :D

I'll probably be looking to get at least 4 minimum. Let me know.

Thanks!

fordo_11
07-25-2006, 08:46 AM

Bottom 3 in GF in the league, likely to repeat? Not really. With a coach who has more time to concentrate on offense (well Playfair will probably stick to defense as that was his focus, and he did a stellar job, and give the newcomer coach...forgothisname, the offensive duties, I can deal with that), and the addition of Tanguay, and essentially replacing Donovan with Friesen, it will be much better. Even if our secondary scorers don't pick it up, we'll still be in the top 20 somewhere I'd imagine (I am being pessimistic however, as Tanguay will also make Iggy a ton better as he won't be constantly double-teamed).

His name is Wayne Flemming, and I agree the additions will make the offence better on the first and second line. You have to remember adding Tanguay and Friesen does more than improve the first line it also improves the second line really teams now have to worry about Huselius, Langkow, Kobasew scoring too. I think the additions allow the first line to get upwards of 80 points a piece and the second line upwards of 50 points each. That will also cause teams to not focus on the Iginla line because the second line will burn you if left alone. And if the third and fourth line players put up the 20-30 points they should than we will be in great shape offensively.

Minnesota is the only team (in the NorthWest) other than Calgary that has improved indefinitely this off-season. Adding Pavol Demitra to play with his buddy Gaborik, and throwing in Rolston, you have some great forwards. The question is, will they score under LeMaire's system? They CAN...but it is harder (same with Sutter's system mind you, but it's Playfair time now). Minny's defense and goaltending are good...I can see Manny Fernandez being even better this year than last, and Josh Harding is a very capable backup.

I agree that Minny is better, but with Lemaire there they still won't score that much. The fact is this guy won't pull his goalie when down by one with under a minute to go because he doesn't want to hurt the teams GAA. The only way anything will change in Minny is if either the players ignore Lemaire or management realizes they need to fire him. Unfortunetly niether will happen and it sounds like the fans are starting to lose interest, I really hope they don't blow it there Minnisota is a good hockey city.

Nissanaddict
07-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I hope not. They like their hockey, and I heard somewhere that they've sold out every game so far since their inception into the NHL. Without LeMaire, it would be a much more exciting team that's for sure.

fordo_11
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I hope not. They like their hockey, and I heard somewhere that they've sold out every game so far since their inception into the NHL. Without LeMaire, it would be a much more exciting team that's for sure.

At the same time without Lemaire they wouldn't have been competative so quickly, but I think it is time for a change as Minny has a lot of young offensive talent and when your only star is saying he wants to play more offence I think you should listen instead of losing him to free agency, IMO.

h_s
07-25-2006, 02:40 PM
minnesota is one of those hard working teams that no one really has their number, they would be pretty raw if their offensive talent shines this year

fordo_11
07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
So what do people think about the rumors of Gomez coming to Calgary? By the end of the day the Flames could have a proven #1 centre but who do we have to give up and what will it do to the lines? This is a though one because the Flames won't be able to take on his contract without sheding some money themsleves but NJ doesn't want to take on to much because they are trying to get below the salary cap. I think realistically Lombardi (a young skilled centre) and a pick would be going the other way. But that doesn't help our salary issues, so it would then lead to another trade to shed salary. It would also see Tanguay on the left side meaning either Friesen or Huselius would be pushed off the top two lines. I am not sure I want this to happen it leads to a log jam on the forward lines and budget problems for the Flames. Anyways I just wanted to see what other people thought as this rumor heated up yesterday.

l8braker
07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
I doubt Gomez would ever come to Calgary... He would be a fan favourite and a decent addition, but I don't see it ever happening... Fingers crossed though.

Nissanaddict
07-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Doesn't seem very logical to me. With a 5 million dollar pay, it'd be tough. We'd pretty much have to say bye to Hamrlik and someone else, and with Leopold gone, I don't want to touch our defense anymore. Zyuzin should be ok, but he ain't no Leopold. I like the idea of having him here, but what we need to give up for him, will outweigh that (STILL, Gomez, Tanguay, Iginla would be deadly) In a perfect world, sure. Just not for real. :(

thinmyster
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
where is this rumor from? any sites?

stevieo
07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
how could we take on gomez's salary while giving new jersey picks/prospects for him and then having to deal away from our strength (defence) to try and DUMP salary to fit him in and trying to find cheap replacements.

as much as i would LOVE to have a #1 centre, the price is FAR too high for it.

air_mikey
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
New Jersey has 48 hrs to sign Gomez for 5 million or he becomes an UFA. So Calgary can pick him up, but we just have to deal with salary problems.

mac_82
07-26-2006, 01:30 PM
the only players i can see us giving up that are worth a decent amount are langkow($2.4) or amonte ($1.85), + maybe a lundmark ($0.6) or a ritchie ($0.45), or a drafk pick.

who knows if NJ would even be interested in something like that :dunno: they are dealing from a position of weakness, being over the cap if they sign him and having to unload, or letting him walk for next to nothing.

silverTEG
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
NJ will sign gomez and then trade him, why would they let him go to UFA and get nothing for him... besides i cant see the flames getting him..... my guess is ATL STL or PHX.

spyce
07-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I doubt we would be getting and to be honest, I like the way our team is right now. To get Gomez we would have to give away one of our young centers most likely (Lombardi/Lundmark), a draft pick, and maybe even a defensemen. We would have to cut salary somewhere and I just dont see that being substantially much better for the lineup.

If we have the lineup somewhat like this

Tanguay-Lundmark/Lombardi-Iggy
Huselius-Langkow-Kobasew
Friesen-Lundmark/Lombardi-Amonte
Nilson-Yelle-Mccarty

We basically have 2 legit scoring lines and could also say even a 3rd scoring line. If anything the only way I see us getting a number one center is near the trade deadline when we only have to pay for part of the contract. I think giving one of the kids (lundmark or lombardi) more quality minutes could be quite beneficial. It could possibly turn out into a situation somewhat like what Vancouver had with 2 star wingers and a decent center.

Personally though, I still say we should have gone after Lindros!

fordo_11
07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
where is this rumor from? any sites?

Yeah two that I know of:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=2477
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/njd060726.html

I think that NJ is after prospects, picks, and/or lower priced players. We would have to make another to deal to free up money because obviously adding 5 mil would put us over the cap and NJ can't afford to take on to much salary so we would be in a position that we would have to shed some money.

By the way spyce I like the team too, I think it would be more of a hastle than anything and I am not one of the people who thinks we need to add a so called number one centre.

Nissanaddict
07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
big problem with that, is we'd lose depth. Our depth up front isn't great to begin with, so if we unloaded Langkow and Tony for Gomez, signed Lombardi, we'd have our top 12, but we'd have one less body in case somebody got injured.

fordo_11
07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
big problem with that, is we'd lose depth. Our depth up front isn't great to begin with, so if we unloaded Langkow and Tony for Gomez, signed Lombardi, we'd have our top 12, but we'd have one less body in case somebody got injured.

Yeah but if Sutter expects two rookies to make this team don't you think we are deep enough. I mean right now we have Iginla, Tanguay, Friesen, Langkow, Huselius, Kobasew, Nilson, Lombardi, Amonte, Lundmark, Yelle, McCarty, Richie, Regher, Phanuef, Hamrlik, Warrener, Ference, Zyuzin, Kipper, and Noodles (21 players). So in theory that is the NHL roster on top of that add Richie Regher, Giordano, Nystrom, Prust, and Boyd who all have a chance to make the team. Now if they invision two of those guys to make the team than aren't pretty deep either way. What if the cost is Amonte and Giordano. Than baby Regher and one of the forwards makes the team. I would be more worried about the long term because with Gomez you would have 4 players who deserve 5 mil plus a season that is half your cap. And that list doesn't include guys like Phanuef, Kobasew, and Regher who all could be up in that range in two years. I would honestly be more worried about the long term impact than the depth this year.

Nissanaddict
07-27-2006, 10:19 AM
That's true too. I guess in conclusion, Gomez ain't a good idea either way.

mac_82
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
And that list doesn't include guys like Phanuef, Kobasew, and Regher who all could be up in that range in two years. I would honestly be more worried about the long term impact than the depth this year.

I was thinking about that a lot last week. In a couple years we are going to have a struggle to keep the core of the team together and afford them all.

When Kipper's contract comes up, he is going to want Brodeur/Luongo type money in the $6 million range.

With Bouwmester getting awarded $2.25 mill in Florida, this will be a good benchmark for what its going to take to resign Phaneuf when the time comes.

With Tanguay making $5 mill + a season, I think Iggy might need to take a bit of a paycut down to the $5-6 mill range when his contract comes up.

But first things first, lets sign Lombardi.

And looking on TSN Calgary just signed native Calgarian Brad Ference. So now we have another depth 6-7-8 dman.

mac_82
07-27-2006, 12:17 PM
D:

Ro Regehr
Phaneuf
Hamrlik
Warrener
A Ference
Zyuzin
B Ference

Giordano
Ri Regehr

fordo_11
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
D:

Ro Regehr
Phaneuf
Hamrlik
Warrener
A Ference
Zyuzin
B Ference

Giordano
Ri Regehr

I am not a huge fan of Brad Ference, he after all was the guy who punched a Flames prospect (Martin Sonnenberg) in the back of the head (about two days after Bertuzzi), and didn't even get a suspension for it (part of the NHL's unwritten policy for penalizing players for the result instead of the action). Plus I am not sure he fits in ahead of Giordano or Richie he did only play in the minors last year.

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin/news/comments.cgi?type=newsroom&file_num=0000000905

hustler
07-27-2006, 12:56 PM
its probably a 2 way so it wont have any cap effect as long as he doesnt see action...just another depth move by sutter and hey look another first round pick...mabe a new project for sutter?

SuPhistiKatEd
07-28-2006, 12:40 PM
No relation to Andrew Ference, I might add.

I say give him a chance.

three.eighteen.
07-28-2006, 12:44 PM
i read somewhere b ference is a ferece's cousin?

fordo_11
07-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i read somewhere b ference is a ferece's cousin?

No he was joking they call each other cousin's as a joke, that was in the Sun today.

88CRX
07-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I remember Ken King was talking about a new 3rd jersey/logo coming out this year... did that ever materialize?

three.eighteen.
07-28-2006, 06:34 PM
yeah the horse jersey should be getting replaced some time this year...the sabres are going back to blue/gold on that note

fordo_11
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I heard the Flames new third jersey is being delayed a year as it is expected the entire NHL will becoming out with a new style jersey next year, but I don't have a source for that info since it was a while ago I heard that.

As for Buffalo there is a lot of contraversy surrounding their new jersey's as it was leaked before hand and somebody has started an online protest against them and already has 20 000 signatures (2 months before the jersey are supposed to be released). I have seen what they are supposed to look like and I hate them they are a mix between the old and the new with a return to the blue and gold. I thought I knew where the source for that was but I have lost it, if I find it I will post it.

h_s
07-29-2006, 12:45 AM
here ya be

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Cody1774/sabresjersey9rj.jpg

and heres a handfull of sites about the jersey

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=sabres+protest&btnG=Search&meta=

and the main one

www.fixthelogo.com

Gondi Stylez
07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
i signed the petition! that thing is fuckin gross :barf: but i do like the bringing back of the old colors :dunno:

fordo_11
07-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I just signed it to thanks for the links h_s. I do like the colours but that logo blows ass.

Oh and I found the link for the Buffalo thing: http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2006/07/28/fans_furious_at_sabres_new_log/

Gondi Stylez
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
as the flames new #1 center i think DS should get Langenbrunner as he is only worth 2.8mil and would be a great #1 flanked by tanguay and iggy!

boo yaka sha!

h_s
07-29-2006, 01:01 PM
good pick.. is he available??? why are we pulling in more veterans (somewhat) all of a sudden??

kertejud
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
as the flames new #1 center i think DS should get Langenbrunner as he is only worth 2.8mil and would be a great #1 flanked by tanguay and iggy!

boo yaka sha!

Too bad he isn't a centre.

Gondi Stylez
07-30-2006, 02:40 AM

Too bad he isn't a centre.

he did play center for the devils these past couple years on and off and IMO he did a damn good job just there were others who were natural #1's :dunno:

stevieo
07-30-2006, 03:04 AM
it'll put our backs right against the cap wall, no way lamoriello trades away langenbrunner unless its for prospects/picks. NJ is way over their heads with the cap and stuck with gionta and martin still to sign too.

if anyone is to be traded it would have to be gomez to like washington, that would bea REALLY nice pick up for wash. specially for ovechkin

mac_82
08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Leopold is going to be out 3 months after having surgery to repair a hernia.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173007&hubname=nhl

Nissanaddict
08-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Hope him a speedy recovery. But with that, it makes the Tanguay trade look like an even better deal (didn't ROB Colorado like Montreal did with the Theo Aebi trade.....oh wait, yeah we did. :D)

hustler
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
dont get to comfy with the fact leopold is out....I heard someone else say KARMA....wouldnt want tanguay out for the season....hes a good guy hope him a speedy recovery

Nissanaddict
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Hope him a speedy recovery.

I'm not happy that he's injured. From an objective point of view however, we got a LOT for 2 picks and an injured defenseman.

spyce
08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Any update on whats holding up the Lombardi contract?
With the possibility of the russian prospect Taratukin (sp?) coming over, would Lombardi be cut?

heavyD
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by spyce

I sure hope that he isn't holding out for alot of money. He hasn't really done anything to warrant anything over $800K/year as you don't get paid for potential.

NATE0513
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I hope not .. that kid has the ability to be an impact player.

dericer
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by spyce
With the possibility of the russian prospect Taratukin (sp?) coming over, would Lombardi be cut?

I think Lombardi's gone either way.

IMO he's played himself off of the team with his inability to play effective two way hockey, and his lacksidaisical shifts.

I think Lombardi is going to be trade bait come October 10th

spyce
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I dunno. I would really like to keep him though.
He has really only had 2 seasons. He had a pretty good rookie season with the Flames and I think would have produced quite well if he didnt have that freak ankle injury earlier this season. I think he would fit quite nicely btwn two speedy fowards (friesen and amonte?)

My guess to the actual delay in getting him signed is probably the length of the deal? Sutter probably wants long term at a reasonable price. Whereas I think Lombardi probably wants a short contract, so that if he proves he can have a good strong year, then he can get more money?

heavyD
08-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Do ya think Darryl Sutter rues the day Craig Button decided to let Jarett Stoll go? One of the few decent forwards the Flames have drafted in the last 10 years and the team lets him go back into the draft and essentially gets Lombardi instead.:(

fordo_11
08-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Well I doubt he his holding out for more money otherwise he would have filed for arbitration. My guess is over term, Sutter thinks Lombardi can become a star and would of course want to lock him up long term while he proves himself. Where is Lombardi will want raises every time he has a good year and not to be locked in at a particular amount. It is the usual battle and very well could end up seeing Lombardi sit out come September. I don't see him leaving unless he is part of a trade for the Flames to fill a hole. Sutter thinks highly of Lombardi and has repeatadly sayed he expects him to step it up next season (sounds to me like Sutter expects him to be here).

I say be patient and the signing will come.