PDA

View Full Version : Tracking down msn user

2.2vtec
10-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Ok some wierdo added me to my msn and i thought i knew who it was but i don't. Is there anyway to track where he is sending me these messages from? I want the exact address! Anyway i can do it?

Ben
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
She's gone dude, get over her.

And to answer the original question. not really. I mean there are ways to attempt to locate but nothing concrete as a normal user.

unfocus
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
ip adresss

statick
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Ben
She's gone dude, get over her.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

...unless that was a serious remark:dunno:

2.2vtec
10-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by unfocus
ip adresss

How do I get the ip address and what does that tell me?

Raz
10-04-2005, 06:17 PM
you can always do a netstat, or run ethereal or similar next time the person talks to you...?

- Rasmus

turbotrip
10-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

How do I get the ip address and what does that tell me?

city and isp i believe

Raz
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

city and isp i believe

Well, for a nice verbosely named reverse dns structure like telus and shaw has, it'll get you which city/part of canada they are from, and of course the ISP they are on. However, if your friend there on msn is from another country, it could prove slightly more futile ;)

rage2
10-04-2005, 06:35 PM
With MSN (the older versions anyways) connection is always between you and the MSN server. All messages are passed to microsoft, then to the other party. You never know what IP address the other party is, as it's only connected through MSN server as well.

When you do file transfers, however, if both are not behind firewall, it does make a connection to that other person's IP when it's revealed. I believe when you do a custom smiley, the smiley is transfered through a direct connection as well, so you'll be able to netstat and find the IP address. I may be wrong on that though... it's been a while since I looked at the MSN protocol.

Raz
10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Yes, good point. Sending a custom smiley, will initiate a file transfer to the user in question, netstat'ing then would be the ideal thing to do.

2.2vtec
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Raz
you can always do a netstat, or run ethereal or similar next time the person talks to you...?

- Rasmus

Will doing this possiably give me his address or just general location?

Celica TVS3
10-04-2005, 07:33 PM
^ Just a general location. You won't be able to find her house with the IP address. ISPs will only release that information with a court order.

But if you REALLY wanted to you could find out the exact address using her IP.