PDA

View Full Version : 4G63 eclipse/evo question..

Genjuro
10-04-2005, 08:38 PM
If the engine that is in the 2nd gen eclipse is the same as the Evo 8, what makes the Evo 8 have more HP?
Is it just because of the turbo and intercooler setup?
also why can't the 2nd gen eclipse have the same potential as the Evo? Or can it?

Thank you.

infected
10-04-2005, 10:41 PM
The Eclipse and Evo have the same engine?

3g4me
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I would say t he 2ng gen eclipse/talon has the same potential as the evo. Its just the evo allready comes beefed up, whereas the eclipse would have to be done up.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
If the engine that is in the 2nd gen eclipse is the same as the Evo 8, what makes the Evo 8 have more HP?
Is it just because of the turbo and intercooler setup?
also why can't the 2nd gen eclipse have the same potential as the Evo? Or can it?

Thank you.

Answers:
1) No. They are not the same engine. The 4G63 used in 2G Eclipses is the same as the one used in the older EVO III. They share the same general design but the 4G63 in the EVO VIII rotates opposite from the older 4G63's. While the general desigin of the engine remains, the head, intake, and exhaust designs are different, larger & differently placed fuel injectors, and more exotic materials are used such as hollow camshafts, stronger internals, etc. The twin scroll turbocharger in the VIII is far more advanced & potent than the 14B's and T25's used in DSM's.
2) 2G or 1G 4G63's can make the same or more power than the EVO VIII's engine but it costs money for a larger turbo, forged internals (if you want better reliability), better fasteners, aftermarket cams, fuel mods, larger intercooler, etc. There are plenty of old 1G or 2G DSM's that are running faster 1/4 mile times (11 - 12 second 1/4 mile times are common) than stock EVO's. It just takes some money, knoweledge, & good tuning.

The 4G63 is smooth, stout, and packs alot of potential no matter what year of engine, it has just evolved to the state it is from minor changes and perfections over the years. The EVO IX 4G63 has MIVEC which is another evolution (no pun intended) of the engine. It's definately my favourite 4-cylinder engine as it has withstood the test of time, has tonnes of mods available, and just gets better with age.

2.0turbo
10-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Very well said HeavyD.

the Evo also runs higher compression: 9:1 and run something like 19psi.

Genjuro
10-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks.
Also, I know that the engine is rotated 180 degees but can I do a engine swap with the Evo VIII into the Eclipse if I use the Evo tranny as well?

Milk2%
10-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Don't think so man, i think the body length and width are different..you would have to do alot of custom fabing and what not

heavyD
10-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Genjuro
Thanks.
Also, I know that the engine is rotated 180 degees but can I do a engine swap with the Evo VIII into the Eclipse if I use the Evo tranny as well?

No. If you are looking to make serious power build up a 1G block with a ported 2G head (has smaller ports than the 1G but superior angle entry). Take a look at what Magnus Motorsports in Ontario offers for ideas.

Decoder
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Answers:
1) No. They are not the same engine. The 4G63 used in 2G Eclipses is the same as the one used in the older EVO III. They share the same general design but the 4G63 in the EVO VIII rotates opposite from the older 4G63's. While the general desigin of the engine remains, the head, intake, and exhaust designs are different, larger & differently placed fuel injectors, and more exotic materials are used such as hollow camshafts, stronger internals, etc. The twin scroll turbocharger in the VIII is far more advanced & potent than the 14B's and T25's used in DSM's.
2) 2G or 1G 4G63's can make the same or more power than the EVO VIII's engine but it costs money for a larger turbo, forged internals (if you want better reliability), better fasteners, aftermarket cams, fuel mods, larger intercooler, etc. There are plenty of old 1G or 2G DSM's that are running faster 1/4 mile times (11 - 12 second 1/4 mile times are common) than stock EVO's. It just takes some money, knoweledge, & good tuning.

The 4G63 is smooth, stout, and packs alot of potential no matter what year of engine, it has just evolved to the state it is from minor changes and perfections over the years. The EVO IX 4G63 has MIVEC which is another evolution (no pun intended) of the engine. It's definately my favourite 4-cylinder engine as it has withstood the test of time, has tonnes of mods available, and just gets better with age.

sorry to argue, but the 2nd gen eclipse uses a 7bolt 4g63t where as the evo3 uses the 6bolt design with the possibility of the longer rods.

the 2nd gen eclipse is known for crank problems and throwing rods, where are this is not a known issue for the evo3...if they were the same motor internally they would also share the same issues

heavyD
10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Decoder
sorry to argue, but the 2nd gen eclipse uses a 7bolt 4g63t where as the evo3 uses the 6bolt design with the possibility of the longer rods.

the 2nd gen eclipse is known for crank problems and throwing rods, where are this is not a known issue for the evo3...if they were the same motor internally they would also share the same issues

Nothing really to argue as you are 110% wrong. EVOIII (identical engine to the 2G with the exception of the turbo and exhaust) and up to the present EVOVIII all use a 7-bolt. Do some homework before you decide to post up incorrect info. This is how incorrect info spreads. :thumbsdow

The crankwalk problem is not related to the design of the 7-bolt it was due to incorrectly machined cranks on engines manufactured in Illinois. That's why barely any 98-99 2G's suffered from crankwalk as each crank on a 2G has it's own serial number. When you consider how many 7-bolt 2G's were sold, the problem isn't near as widespread as some suggest. EVO III engines were assembled in Japan.

Decoder
10-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Nothing really to argue as you are 110% wrong. EVOIII (identical engine to the 2G with the exception of the turbo and exhaust) and up to the present EVOVIII all use a 7-bolt. Do some homework before you decide to post up incorrect info. This is how incorrect info spreads. :thumbsdow

The crankwalk problem is not related to the design of the 7-bolt it was due to incorrectly machined cranks on engines manufactured in Illinois. That's why barely any 98-99 2G's suffered from crankwalk as each crank on a 2G has it's own serial number. When you consider how many 7-bolt 2G's were sold, the problem isn't near as widespread as some suggest. EVO III engines were assembled in Japan.

ive owned 2 jdm evo3 motors and both were 6 bolt. explain

heavyD
10-10-2005, 09:49 PM
ive owned 2 jdm evo3 motors and both were 6 bolt. explain

No you haven't . You owned either an EVOI or EVOII but most likely a JDM Galant VR4 (all cyclones) as 90% of all the imported jdm 4G63's are from Galants. You can't even fit the Lancer EVOIII ehaust manifold on a 1G head without modification while it's a direct bolt on for a 2G.

dsmtuners is your friend. Search & learn:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133406&highlight=7-bolt+evo

Decoder
10-10-2005, 10:12 PM
why would i use my 1g head, when i had a full swap?

how many vr4s came with large 16g turbos?

heavyD
10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
why would i use my 1g head, when i had a full swap?

how many vr4s came with large 16g turbos?

I'm making an example as 6-bolt heads do not directly fit with EVOIII exhaust manifolds yet you are saying you had an EVOIII 6-bolt. How can that be.

A few came with the yellow top (530cc) injectors and 16G as did EVOII's. EVOIII's came with a 7-bolt engine & EVOIII 16G (not to be confused with the regular 16G that was on 6-bolt VR4's and EVOII's. You are fighting a losing battle here bud as you aren't right on this one.;)

Genjuro
10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks heavyD, i was going to ask about the crankwalk also but you answered that too.