PDA

View Full Version : Should I Trade the 240 For an SRT-4?

Pages : [1] 2

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Ive had an offer for my car, for a straight trade for a 03 SRT-4. So lets gets the info and see what you guys think.

My car:

1997 S14 240 SX LE
- Converted to a Silvia
- Kouki Kit
- 18'' Racing Hart Rims
- RB20DET Engine Swap
- 3'' Upper/Lower IC Piping
- 24'' Greddy FMIC
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- HKS BOV
- 3'' Down Pipe /w Exhaust
- Eibach Pro Kit
- KYB AGX Struts
- Auto Meter Guages(Oil Press, Pyro, Boost)
- 550cc Injectors
- Greddy Profec B Spec II

Thats the big stuff prolly more im missing

OH!!!

Currently #8 fastest import in Alberta with a 12.8 1/4 mile

Anyways his car:

03 SRT-4
Pretty much stock but has a boost controller, TT, Rims and is lowered. It has 21,XXX km's and is Blue... SO what you think?

I mean I have thought about selling the car but not for a few years....and when I did that I was going to buy a 03-04 VW GLI

Anyways any imput is nice

Chris

mshaw
10-05-2005, 01:00 AM
i probably would myself, i dont really have any reason why, just would

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Me either, just seeing...

Mad$ella
10-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Don't do it!!!
Those SRT-4 guys are in denial that there car is not a NEON.
Sorry guys, it still is a neon... :thumbsdow

This is just my opinion.

lastprodigy
10-05-2005, 01:05 AM
HELL NO......keep that damn s14 you gotta nice modlist going there dont stop keep going with it and youll have (already do) one of the nicer 240's around!

JAYMEZ
Chris your fuckin jokeing right? I would bitch slap you haha

Redlyne_mr2
Keep the FR platform and come out to some track and drift days to see what your car is capable of. Youll never look back.

Forcefed
The ONLY reason why I would EVEN consider it because its a 03, im a 97.....but regaurdless I'd have to talk it over with the Lady....:::Sigh::...... Oh well Atleast i can admit it:rofl:

Phuqu
10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Are you sure it's an 03? Is it from the US?

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 01:24 AM
03-04 I believe, and no, its a local guy

method
10-05-2005, 02:08 AM
I would, your car will never be worth as much. that's just money in the bank.

buh_buh
10-05-2005, 02:20 AM
it depends how you look at it.
From a financial perspective, method is right. Your car won't be worth as much, and you can turn around and sell the SRT4 right away for a lot more money. But from a car enthusiast's standpoint, the S14 is a better car, and you do have a pretty nice mod list on that car already. Personally, I'd keep the S14.

s3v3n
10-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
it depends how you look at it.
From a financial perspective, method is right. Your car won't be worth as much, and you can turn around and sell the SRT4 right away for a lot more money. But from a car enthusiast's standpoint, the S14 is a better car, and you do have a pretty nice mod list on that car already. Personally, I'd keep the S14.

pretty much says it all right there ... i dunno if id be able to get rid of the s14 but thats one hell of a trade ...

statick
10-05-2005, 05:55 AM
:werd: its financially better to do the trade...but i thnk i'd keep the s14.

Aleks
10-05-2005, 07:13 AM
Forget the neon and trade me! :poosie: ;)

heavyD
10-05-2005, 08:07 AM
As I told someone before, the Sylvia/240 fad has peaked already and is on the decline. Financially you would be trading a car with a very low blue book value for one that is a fair bit higher straight across. From a purely financial standpoint you would essentially banking money if you made the trade.

From a personal standpoint it depends if you are alright going from a RWD to a FWD car and if you are still in the drifting fad. Also I if it is an 03 (which weren't sold in Canada) it won't have the LSD which makes a big difference as the SRT-4 has wayyy too much torque not to have it.

Most of the guys that flame the SRT-4 for being just a neon usually have slower cars so if you can't beat'em, flame em. Isn't an RSX just a lowly Civic? SRT-4's actually have pretty good reliability (especially compared to a VW wich have pretty well the poorest reliability in the industry) as there aren't really any major problems and considering how the owners beat on them even the SRT forums the guys claim to have no problems with +50000 miles and lots of mods. 240's are pretty cheaply made cars (if your car isn't rusting out now it will soon as if it is a 240 it is rusting out as we speak) so it's not like you would be stepping down in an SRT-4. I'm actually having fun with my SRT-4. Free factory service manuals available on the net, lots of Mopar upgrades (I have stage 2 w/toys on B/O still!!!), lots of other aftermarket parts. It's not a pretty car but it blows the doors off pretty well every car priced under an STi and is neck and neck with a 350Z so for the money you get alot of straight line speed.

The Eclipse was probably my favorite car that I've ever owned and I thought I would miss it alot more than I do partly because the SRT-4 is pretty fun and since it's not a super expensive car, I don't have to worry about it as much.

Whether you do the deal or not please don't buy a VW. The cars have too many problems and dealer support is also very poor.:thumbsdow

pitwipe
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Make the trade, it's a good deal for you!

Mad$ella
10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
I say dont do it for another reason. If you are planning on keeping this car for a while, everyone here says the immediate resale value is going to be larger, I totally agree, but later on down the road I dont think that in like 6 - 8 years the first years of the SRT-4s are gonna be worth that much. I dont see those turbos lasting forever either, espically at 14-16psi stock.

Mad$ella
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

It's not a pretty car but it blows the doors off pretty well every car priced under an STi and is neck and neck with a 350Z so for the money you get alot of straight line speed.

My car is worth less than an STi but do you think you can blow my doors off next summer???

(PS: blower, heads, cam, intake, injectors, T56 Viper transmission)

IntegraG2
10-05-2005, 08:41 AM
buh_buh is right......i believe you should keep the 240 since you already modded the shit out if it. I dont know why but people keep downing the SRT-4 because its a neon. I dont down neons especially if its factory boosted which sometimes means it may be more reliable. Its cheap, fast, and good on gas. I would only trade if you are going to sell the SRT right away and get higher value out of it. Anyways keep the 240 or if you get sick of it buy a bimmer :poosie: its the way to go....haha

Toms-SC
10-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Mad$ella

My car is worth less than an STi but do you think you can blow my doors off next summer???

Yes, I do

DonJuan
10-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Keep the 240, you'll be happier. The only way I'd consider the neon is to sell it IMMEDIATELY and get another 240, Silvia, Skyline, RX-7, and begin mods with the extra cash and/or buy the lady sumthin nice.

Aleks
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
His 240 is now faster than any stage3 SRT-4 i've seen run this year :burnout:

Moonracer
10-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Please......keep the 240!

habsfan
10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
financially: do the trade

enthusiast: are you retarded? theres no way an srt-4 will ever be as much fun to drive as your 240. and as aleks mentioned, your car is already faster than stage 3 srt's, plus it doesnt look like a ram raped a neon, which then conceived the srt-4.

if it were me, i'd say screw making money in this case and i'd keep the s14.

Sonic_A4
10-05-2005, 09:00 AM
hahah i agree with jaymez , wtf is wrong with you
nismo all the way.

Z_Fan
10-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Forget for a moment about the trade.

Why do you want to get rid of your car?

dr.
10-05-2005, 09:04 AM
financially do the trade? you have to sell the car asap after you trade then . The SRT-4 (like any other domestic) will NOT hold its value if you end up keeping it for a year or two.

Sonic_A4
10-05-2005, 09:07 AM
chris btw if you buy a vw they are fine, and you never take it to a dealer, the 03-04 gli was produced in german and was built very well. as well there a limted production vechile. I have a close family friend and all he has done is regular maintence on the vechile.

Madspinner
10-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey Chris , dont get rid of your 240. You still have to take me for a spin.

Weapon_R
10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
It would be wiser for you to trade. The srt-4 is 7 years newer and will always be worth more. Now that it has been discontinued, SRT owners can charge a premium. You will also inheret much lower mileage, a long warranty, and a car that is no slouch.

The 240 is an amazing car, but financially, the srt makes far more sense.

Tilly
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
i agree on the "financial" argument

the srt is worth well over 20 grand.

a 97 nissan is not. cars NEVER gain value with "mods".

GoChris
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
btw, his car is an 04 if its blue, they didnt make 03 in blue and they didnt have 03 in canada, so its an 04.

PorknBeans
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Sonic_A4
chris btw if you buy a vw they are fine, and you never take it to a dealer, the 03-04 gli was produced in german and was built very well. as well there a limted production vechile. I have a close family friend and all he has done is regular maintence on the vechile.

VW are fine? Lorenz0 has an 03 golf and the auto tranny fell apart months after he got it. Then all of a sudden both of his rear brake lights stop working. His right marker is fogged to hell... LIST GOES ON.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 10:46 AM

I've seen your domestic ricer and I don't recall bringing up antique cars (fox body) in the conversation.

Nice comment about the turbo not lasting because it runs at 14-16 psi stock. Has nothing to do with the reliability of the turbo. The turbo is a mitsubishi which means it has an average lifespan of any garett turbo x 2. I pulled a 13 year old 14B off my Talon last year and the guy I sold it too was shocked that there was no shaft play. In fact it had less shaft play than the last two brand new garett turbo's I've seen. Don't hear of many EVO owners complaining about turbo failure and they run close to 20 psi.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by PorknBeans

VW are fine? Lorenz0 has an 03 golf and the auto tranny fell apart months after he got it. Then all of a sudden both of his rear brake lights stop working. His right marker is fogged to hell... LIST GOES ON.

VW guys are usually in a state of denial but there are plenty VW lemon websites and bad press from Consumer Reports, JD Power, to support the arguement. People that recommend VW's aren't your friend.

rc2002
10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey Chris, you change cars like underwear. haha. I say keep the 240 to be original. Seems like you see another SRT4 on every second corner. But I haven't seen many Kuoki 240's rolling around...

I would say in about 5 years, the two cars will be worth the same. Even though it is an SRT4, it will still depreciate quickly....

trikypenguin
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
don't u dare sell your 240, rwd over fwd any day and time... and u have a ncie mod list goin so keep it up and you'll be raping srt-4s left right and center

DC2
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
i would have to agree with richard,
IMO 97 240's are much more rare than srt4's

Zephyr
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Wow why would you even think about trading for a boosted neon.

Regardless of this drifting "fad", the 240 is a very balanced car especially the fact that it's an S14. Drifting just makes the 240 funner.

Plus Fast and Furious 3 will bump up the 240 value a bit.

Merkur
10-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Trade it, and then sell the SRT-4 and pick up the 2006 GLI. It will have the new 2.0T in it :)

Nissanaddict
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
unless you need more backseat room, I'd stick with the 240. Lookswise, modwise, handlingwise, the 240 wins. The SRT-4 is worth more yes, but yeah. FWD is a definite disadvantage. I've never driven a high power FWD car, but I have been in them, and torque steer owns them. Not to mention if I had your car I would never let it leave my site. I haven't seen it, but that mod list on a Kouki s14 is good enough for me. I have dreams of RBs, that won't be fulfilled fer a few years.

Sonic_A4
10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
well of course vw's have problems but if you buy a lemon than yes, the trick to buying a vw is to research all u can on that vechile. some vw's are amazing and other are junk.

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Guys thanks for all the comments!!! Honestly there was no specific reason why i would trade my car, just something came across me, so I figured I would ask the majority group! Honestly like I said only reason why I would consider a trade would eb the age difference however, I guess it not really such a huge deal. Besides the fact that I love my 240, the SRT just stuck me as an unusual trade and I figured I would check my gains/losses with the trade. Overall I know if I did trade the power could not be matched, but then if I did trade for the SRT It would be something like u guys said drive for abit and flip it for soemthing else.

Anyways, thanks guys, ill let you know, prolly going to stick with my car and prolly post another one of these in the near future!

Thanks for th comments, those who I owe a ride will get one :thumbsup:

rip
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Forcefed do you have pics of the current setup of your car?

90Tegra
10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
to the person that said srt-4 are not fun to drive, belive me its one of the funnest cars to drive and for the price i think its well worth it. now if i were u i'd definetly make the trade.

DonJuan
10-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd like a ride :cry:

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by rip
Forcefed do you have pics of the current setup of your car?

Ill post pics this weekend, and like I said its all still in the air, cause now the gf has got me thinking....I could always buy the srt-4 sell it for 22-24 and then turn around and buy a 240 with a RB25 or RB26:thumbsup: :eek:

heavyD
10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
to the person that said srt-4 are not fun to drive, belive me its one of the funnest cars to drive and for the price i think its well worth it. now if i were u i'd definetly make the trade.

You do realize that most of the people (myself excluded) on these boards are JDM crazy kids. As the one person posted "Wait until Fast & Furious 3". It's hard to sell logic or reason to the Fast & Furious crowd and the flavor of the moment is old Japanes cars and watching crazy orientals slide their cars into walls. I still laugh when I see guys pedling off these old 240's for outrageous prices and guys salivating over the rustbuckets like they are some sort of supercar. I was driving in the mid 80's when these cars came out and it's strange because no one ever liked them (myself included) from the late 80's to mid 90's but now they are the shit.

Yes I agree the SRT-4 is very fun but lets keep it to the sane and let the kids have their JDM.;)

b_t
10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
If your 240 was the junky old ones with an SR20 (ie. basically the same car as 75,000 other people right now), I would say TRADETRADETRADE but it is the nicer, newer body style one with a nice motor... really it is tough to say. SRT-4s are cool, make huge power easily, have stout bottom ends, and so on...
Although I'd say you could probably sell your 240 for more then the SRT-4, since it has a very impressive mod list and people are going off the fuckin walls for 240s right now. It'd be a good investment decision to sell the 240 while the JDM drifting craze is still hot, because after that the 240 will go back to what it was before (a car that got exactly as much appreciation as it deserved -- none) and people will call your car "quaint." So in the long term, trading for the SRT-4 makes a better investment decision.
Really, it is a tough call. It depends how much you like your 240, and how much you appreciate what the SRT-4 can do despite the brand and heritage of it.

illeagle
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
RWD ownz........ IT OWNZ!!!!!!

heavyD
10-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by b_t
It'd be a good investment decision to sell the 240 while the JDM drifting craze is still hot, because after that the 240 will go back to what it was before (a car that got exactly as much appreciation as it deserved -- none) and people will call your car "quaint."

Finally some sanity. :thumbsup: It's refreshing to see that I'm not the only person that knows automobile trends & fads. I remember when the Fiero was a hot car.:barf:

Forcefed
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Okay, so "IF" I sell it, what kind of price you think I should ask for the car? The engine has 45,XXX Km's on it and 150,XXX Origanal....

90Tegra
10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
honestly i do not think u will get more than 16000 for ur car and call me crazy but from past experience and cars around me i'll even put money down. so ur best bet is to trade it for srt-4. +4door and lower on insurance, and hell who knows after driving it u might like it more than ur 240sx;)

***edit*** pressed 3 by accident.

Weapon_R
10-05-2005, 04:15 PM
That's a very low estimate. If Hollywood could sell his 240 for over 20k, this should go for about that much.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Forcefed
Okay, so "IF" I sell it, what kind of price you think I should ask for the car? The engine has 45,XXX Km's on it and 150,XXX Origanal....

Not seeing your car but going by the year (1997 is very rare) & mods if you are patient and stick to your price I would say close to $20000 (or possibly more depending on condition and what you expect) as a young fella that dreams all day long about Sylvia's will most likely pay you every penny you ask. Get an appraisal and be patient. The amount of people willing to spend that kind of money on a car that age is small so while you won't be getting bites every week, they will come. I don't think you would have any problems.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
That's a very low estimate. If Hollywood could sell his 240 for over 20k, this should go for about that much.

And Hollywood's was older & not in exactly mint condition.

RB25DET
10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
All i have to say is....thank you for not trading for a pos neon.

240droptop
10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RB25DET

I agree ahh s14 goodness

vietdood
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
keep the 240. it's no fun driving a car that everyone else has :thumbsup:

Inzane
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Forcefed
1997 S14 240 SX LE
- Converted to a Silvia
- Kouki Kit
- 18'' Racing Hart Rims
- RB20DET Engine Swap
- 3'' Upper/Lower IC Piping
- 24'' Greddy FMIC
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- HKS BOV
- 3'' Down Pipe /w Exhaust
- Eibach Pro Kit
- KYB AGX Struts
- Auto Meter Guages(Oil Press, Pyro, Boost)
- 550cc Injectors
- Greddy Profec B Spec II

That's an awesome setup. I can't believe you would've stepped down to an SRT-4.

Performance: your 240SX
Handling: your 240SX
Looks/Styling: your 240SX (not even close)
Build quality: your 8 year old 240SX
Interior: your 8 year old 240SX
Wow factor (or "Gotta have it"): your 240SX
sex appeal: your 240SX

What advantage does an SRT-4 have other than **current** resale value?

DonJuan
10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
^^^^ I agree COMPLETELY :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No bias here though...:D

Inzane
10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Hmm... why the heck is there an ad in my footer/signature area??
:confused:
Nevermind, now its gone... weird.

heavyD
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM

All I have to say is thanks for bringing another POS reject car from a dump in Japan into this nice clean country country.:thumbsup:

takeshi
10-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Whats up heady_d saying that the 240/sylvia fad has peaked? where did he get this info from?

b_t
10-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by takeshi
Whats up heady_d saying that the 240/sylvia fad has peaked? where did he get this info from?

where? its common sense. fad cars die out. IROC Camaros were mad popular in the early 90s, but you can pick them up now for like $4k in about the same shape as a 240 that sells for $9000, and the Camaro is way faster. wait five years and soon you will be able to get the 240 for $4k or even cheaper, since this teenage drifting generation will bag them all to shit and they will fall apart just like 1st gen DSMs have.

Sonic_A4
10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
im not in a state of denial , i just like what i get from an vw and i actually am his friend

DonJuan
10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by takeshi
no, what he means to say is that the 240 is doing to die out in popularity with the drifting fad. Kinda like how DSM popularity died out when people suddenly decided they didn't want to rebuild their engine every other month.;)

ecstasy_civic
10-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
keep the 240. it's no fun driving a car that everyone else has :thumbsup:

:confused:

I see more 240's then SRT4s:dunno:

mac_82
10-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Here is a great quote from a former SRT owner who had his car up for sale on beyond for a long time and finally just sold it...

Originally posted by adrianracer

SOLD... Back to Japanese quality and lower depreciation, these Dodges are junk and have lously resale value!!

system will not let me delete thread??

:rofl:

Inzane
10-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
I see more 240's then SRT4s:dunno:

S13's? Sure... there's tonnes of them, everywhere.

But S14's... I doubt it. Sales in Canada were fairly low volume.

Nissanaddict
10-05-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah, I have an S13....cuz I can't afford an S14. Simple enough.

RB25DET
10-06-2005, 12:35 AM

All I have to say is thanks for bringing another POS reject car from a dump in Japan into this nice clean country country.:thumbsup:

My car is in very good shape, and i dont understand why you call it a reject car. I dont think my car is god, i just fucking hate front wheel drive, its for pussies. I bought my car because i wanted the best amount of performance for my dollar, and my car provides that for me. :rolleyes:

LudeRoca
10-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Like madsella said Srt 4 are for domestic jdm wannabe's. Yea they maybe fun to drive and they cost nothing. but they are still a PEON. If your in no need of money it would be stupid for you to trade your 240 for an srt 4. Yea it worth more now. But give it a week or two. and that thing will be worth next to nothing. Do yourself a favor and pass on the srt 4. I wouldnt trade a civic for a neon let alone a nicely done up 240.:burnout:

And whoever it was that said you can pick up a camaro for 4 gs, and a 240 for 9. The reason why the 240 is a lot more is one it is built a lot better. Wont break down on you after every quarter mile run, and is a lot new. This is goin to turn into a domestic vs import arguement so im gonna stop at that.

Moonracer
10-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Personally I don't think the 240 is just a fad. Sure the whole jdm/drifting thing is impressionable on the young guys here. But once they buy one and realize they can't exactly go drifting everywhere they go then what? Then they realize they have a decent car. This car is no different then all the rest of the old jap cars. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to pick one up. These old jap cars are popular because as I mentioned they are cheap to pick up for say a first car and there is such a strong aftermarket for them. As for the JDM....well that is where all the good stuff is, we didn't get all the best engines and whatnot here in north america so jdm it is! :)

Mr. Burns
10-06-2005, 09:23 AM
I would keep the 240. Sexy RWD and FAST > Ugly FWD and fast.

tictactoe2004
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM

I had a T56 in my car a couple of years ago... im gonna put one back in for sure.... that transmission is so fucking amazing...

Ek9Max
10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Don't trade! you'll be able to get a 04 srt4 for $10000 by next year.

heavyD
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Ek9Max
Don't trade! you'll be able to get a 04 srt4 for $10000 by next year.

Wanna bet your car on that?

b_t
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
Like madsella said Srt 4 are for domestic jdm wannabe's. Yea they maybe fun to drive and they cost nothing. but they are still a PEON. If your in no need of money it would be stupid for you to trade your 240 for an srt 4. Yea it worth more now. But give it a week or two. and that thing will be worth next to nothing. Do yourself a favor and pass on the srt 4. I wouldnt trade a civic for a neon let alone a nicely done up 240.:burnout:

And whoever it was that said you can pick up a camaro for 4 gs, and a 240 for 9. The reason why the 240 is a lot more is one it is built a lot better. Wont break down on you after every quarter mile run, and is a lot new. This is goin to turn into a domestic vs import arguement so im gonna stop at that.

so you are telling me stock for stock, the 240 is better then the Camaro? the KA24 against a small block Chevy? wow, you must be joking. for the $3k it costs you to do the SR20 swap, you can swap in a fresh brand new small block Chevy and run 13s for the same amount of money you just sent to go 15s in your 240. Then you spend another $3k on the SR to hit the 13s, spend that $3k on the Camaro and you are in the mid 12s.... etc, but the motor is not the issue here. Also, do remember the Camaro is one of the most aerodynamic cars ever built and has a far better resume then the 240 when it comes to ANY kind of racing (Trans Am, drag racing, top speed racing, circuit racing, even autocrossing to a lesser extent), with the exception of drifting.
The 240 is not a lot more because it is built better. It is a lot more because it was a car that sucked from day one (so nobody bought them) that everyone suddenly decided they want because they could stuff a two thousand dollar engine in it and go somewhat faster and be hip with the trend, increasing the demand far beyond the meagre quantity of them, since only suckers bought a 240 brand new.
Plus even the crown jewel in the 240's crown, the SR20, can "only" handle 400whp on the stock bottom end but the SRT-4 engine is so completely overbuilt people have made a reliable 600whp on the stock rods and pistons. As well, since it is a domestic car, parts are much less money, there are more of them, and the car is also based on the Neon chassis which actually makes it quite suitable for drag racing since Neons weigh very little and have a good weight distribution biased to the front wheels for extra traction.

heavyD
10-06-2005, 11:42 AM

My car is in very good shape, and i dont understand why you call it a reject car. I dont think my car is god, i just fucking hate front wheel drive, its for pussies. I bought my car because i wanted the best amount of performance for my dollar, and my car provides that for me. :rolleyes:

I call them reject cars because they have sat at dumps in Japan unwanted or unloved for years. Greasy businessmen from north america cut some greasy japanese guy at a dump a cheque for a car such as yours for $2000-3000 US then make a fortune peddling them to people like you for substancially more. The cars were built in the 80's and come with outdated styling and technology so you can understand why everyone outside of the Fast & Furious crowd percieve them as nothing more than old, ugly, 80's cars. Sure to you guys it's gold but to the rest of the population they are viewed as fools gold. As long as you are happy with your car that is fine but there is really no need to call an SRT-4 a POS as you did when you are driving an old 80's car.

As for FWD being for pussies.:rolleyes: I occasionally drive RWD cars and had an AWD and I barely notice any difference between FWD, AWD, or RWD during daily driving. It only makes a relevant difference if you are on a track and with today's suspension technologies FWD car can put up pretty respectable handling numbers better than some RWD cars like Mustangs. 99.8% of people don't drag race their cars so why are they pussies for having FWD? Sure I'd like to own a RWD car but only if it was going to be a seasonal car & right now I don't want/need a summer car. I'm just biding time until 2008/2009 (not hard to figure out what I'm waiting for) as I prefer AWD to all.

Hate for SRT-4's, hate for FWD. Enough of the hate already people.

heavyD
10-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by b_t
so you are telling me stock for stock, the 240 is better then the Camaro? the KA24 against a small block Chevy? wow, you must be joking. for the $3k it costs you to do the SR20 swap, you can swap in a fresh brand new small block Chevy and run 13s for the same amount of money you just sent to go 15s in your 240. Then you spend another $3k on the SR to hit the 13s, spend that $3k on the Camaro and you are in the mid 12s.... etc, but the motor is not the issue here. Also, do remember the Camaro is one of the most aerodynamic cars ever built and has a far better resume then the 240 when it comes to ANY kind of racing (Trans Am, drag racing, top speed racing, circuit racing, even autocrossing to a lesser extent), with the exception of drifting.
The 240 is not a lot more because it is built better. It is a lot more because it was a car that sucked from day one (so nobody bought them) that everyone suddenly decided they want because they could stuff a two thousand dollar engine in it and go somewhat faster and be hip with the trend, increasing the demand far beyond the meagre quantity of them, since only suckers bought a 240 brand new.
Plus even the crown jewel in the 240's crown, the SR20, can "only" handle 400whp on the stock bottom end but the SRT-4 engine is so completely overbuilt people have made a reliable 600whp on the stock rods and pistons. As well, since it is a domestic car, parts are much less money, there are more of them, and the car is also based on the Neon chassis which actually makes it quite suitable for drag racing since Neons weigh very little and have a good weight distribution biased to the front wheels for extra traction.

B_T gets it but most don't. Young people these days have no respect for anything they don't know or understand. They have been brought up in the rice years of milking small displacement engines for power when in reality displacement is still the only way to make huge realiable power. They have no respect for a small block chevy engine that will last 10 times longer and make far more power than even the beloved RB26 or SR20 (I garentee some guys right now are reading this and thinking "HeavyD's wrong. There's no way a small block 350 can make more power than RB26DETT". :rofl:). They say SRT-4's are POS's even though they in actuality have good reliability. They think that old Nissans have superior build quality when they never have and still don't. Toyota and Honda only make cars of superior build quality. Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, etc are in a dead heat with GM, Dodge, & Ford cars in all actuality. If your car doesn't say Toyota or Honda it isn't any better than the rest save for a VW.

Unfortunately there is no use arguing with the ignorant.:(

Moonracer
10-06-2005, 12:14 PM

As for FWD being for pussies.:rolleyes: I occasionally drive RWD cars and had an AWD and I barely notice any difference between FWD, AWD, or RWD during daily driving. It only makes a relevant difference if you are on a track and with today's suspension technologies FWD car can put up pretty respectable handling numbers better than some RWD cars like Mustangs. 99.8% of people don't drag race their cars so why are they pussies for having FWD?

B_T gets it but most don't. Young people these days have no respect for anything they don't know or understand.

haha well I guess there is something we agree on.
:thumbsup:

RB25DET
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM

I call them reject cars because they have sat at dumps in Japan unwanted or unloved for years. Greasy businessmen from north america cut some greasy japanese guy at a dump a cheque for a car such as yours for $2000-3000 US then make a fortune peddling them to people like you for substancially more. The cars were built in the 80's and come with outdated styling and technology so you can understand why everyone outside of the Fast & Furious crowd percieve them as nothing more than old, ugly, 80's cars. Sure to you guys it's gold but to the rest of the population they are viewed as fools gold. As long as you are happy with your car that is fine but there is really no need to call an SRT-4 a POS as you did when you are driving an old 80's car.

As for FWD being for pussies.:rolleyes: I occasionally drive RWD cars and had an AWD and I barely notice any difference between FWD, AWD, or RWD during daily driving. It only makes a relevant difference if you are on a track and with today's suspension technologies FWD car can put up pretty respectable handling numbers better than some RWD cars like Mustangs. 99.8% of people don't drag race their cars so why are they pussies for having FWD? Sure I'd like to own a RWD car but only if it was going to be a seasonal car & right now I don't want/need a summer car. I'm just biding time until 2008/2009 (not hard to figure out what I'm waiting for) as I prefer AWD to all.

Hate for SRT-4's, hate for FWD. Enough of the hate already people.

You are being just as biased as anyone else in this thread, yet you act like your the more mature one or something?? Not all of us can afford a brand new car (let alone want to own a neon) so you tell me what car i can put together that handles as well, brakes as well, and accelerates as well as my car does for 15k (which you can get a gtr for, throw a boost controller and exhaust on it and run 12's) You have no idea what i paid for my car, and it was bought privately off of a guy in japan. It has a 25k motor swapped into it and 65k on the body. These cars are not bought off of junkyards, if you had seen any of these in person, you'd be amazed at the condition they are in for being 15 years old. (im very good friends with the person who imported my car, and many others) and we havent imported anything from a junkyard to date. Just as much as im sure you think i am, i think you are a thick skulled moron, so lets just call it even.

habsfan
10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
would you all shut the fuck up with the bashing? if RB25 guy likes his skyline, thats great for him. heavyd, you like your srt-4, im happy for you. i think it'd be nice if both sides just stopped posting, this thread is nice and off topic now, lets let it die shall we? ;)

JAYMEZ
10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
You guys are completely going off topic , its to trade or not to trade , and thats the only question...

Not what we think is junk blah blah
Not about VWs or people claiming to be friends
Not about Fads and what we think is cool and what is not cool.

Who cares. Vote and thats it.

I think he should keep his car , I dont like SRT-4s at all and thats how I feel.

Chris dont let your GF decide , and thinking you can flip a car that fast is harder than you think especially at this time of the year.

stevieo
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
its all your opinion, if I were you I'd keep the 240 just cause you put more money into it. but if your looking to make a buck and buy a new car, might as well put your car up for sale that or trade and sell..

but like I said, i'd keep it only cause "I" modded the car, you know what I mean? :)

NickGT
10-06-2005, 06:00 PM
SRT-4 gets my vote, its newer and its still very quick. The best part though in my opinion is that it's a 4 door. That's definitely something I could use personally now and then for sure. :banghead:

LudeRoca
10-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Its not always about whats faster. Typically domestic mentality. WHo can get down the dragg strip the fastest. Not everyone is into that. THe camaro is a good car for drag racing. Yes it may be fast but as for handling it will be sliding all over the track on a circuit. Good job budd you bought a 3000 dollar car and put a big engine in it i hope you feel proud of yourself. THe 240 is in MY opinion a way better car then a 3000 dollar camaro.

Originally posted by b_t

LudeRoca
10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
heavy d i dunno what you are thinking a chevy motor will out last a nissan engine. YOu know what you have your opinion and thats fine. everybody has their own. but theres no wayyyy a chevy motor will out last a nissan motor. And building cars isnt always about swapping a big displacement motor and running it down the truck bud. YOu like your domestic wicked, Oh and about your statement about nothing makes power other then displacent, your completly off. You might have heard of such things as boost

LudeRoca
10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
heavy d i dunno what you are thinking a chevy motor will out last a nissan engine. YOu know what you have your opinion and thats fine. everybody has their own. but theres no wayyyy a chevy motor will out last a nissan motor. And building cars isnt always about swapping a big displacement motor and running it down the track bud. YOu like your domestic wicked, Oh and about your statement about nothing makes power other then displacent, your completly off. You might have heard of such thing as boost

Hakkola
10-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Hmm, should I trade my modded benz for a Ford Taurus? Imo that's a good comparison, you'd be crazy to make this trade. My bet, the guy with the SRT-4 brought up the idea for the trade, my reasoning? Your car is far better, it's faster, modded, and rare.

Worst trade, ever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the SRT-4 sucks, but compared to your 240?? :rolleyes:

habsfan
10-06-2005, 06:17 PM
LudeRoca, just drop it dude :)

QuasarCav
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey luderoca, How long have small block chevy's been running down the strip?

A hell of a long time!

I drive an import and it's true that the engines are more advanced but the SBC has been going at it for alot longer than a nissan engine. Parts are everywhere and dont have to come from some crazy expensive japanese parts house. There may be flaws with the chevy engine that you wouldn't see on the Nissan but dollar for dollar and mod for mod the Chevy is going to win.

Have you heard of boost other than a big turbo?

See that big thing with the scoop and the huge butterfly valves, it a blower that makes boost.

DonJuan
10-06-2005, 06:25 PM

It only makes a relevant difference if you are on a track and with today's suspension technologies FWD car can put up pretty respectable handling numbers better than some RWD cars like Mustangs.
WOW... I should hope your SRT can corner better than a RWD with a solid axle... yikes, what a comparison. I can see in this situation that I probably would prefer understeer and torquesteer over a Mustang "suspension," I mean doesn't that thing still use leafsprings? how very 1800's. And for the 4 door agrument, who needs a functional back seat when the front passenger seat is all you need? unless you plan on living in your car...

Mr.Buffy
10-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Everyone has their own opinion. While it's good to see it all, do what you want to do with your car. Make your decision and don't look back, just enjoy the car(s) for what they are. I always wanted a Type R, got one, haven't looked back and am loving it.

01RedDX
10-06-2005, 06:52 PM
The 240 is a much more refined, sexier car. Despite the power, the srt is Neon, body and all, and is dropping in value as I type this. IMO your 240 will be worth more in a couple of years.

NickGT
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

WOW... I should hope your SRT can corner better than a RWD with a solid axle... yikes, what a comparison. I can see in this situation that I probably would prefer understeer and torquesteer over a Mustang "suspension," I mean doesn't that thing still use leafsprings? how very 1800's. And for the 4 door agrument, who needs a functional back seat when the front passenger seat is all you need? unless you plan on living in your car...

If you think really really hard I'm sure you could come up with something better than "living in the car".

Ever try to go out with another couple and they can barely get in an out? That's embarassing. Plan on having kids? Maybe throw the dog in the back seat? Ever exceed your trunk capacity with groceries or anything really and have to fight to get shit in and out of the back seat? I could think of a ton more, but I'll leave it up to you.

But I guess we just have different priorities in life. Don't get me wrong I love my mustang gt. It fulfills all my boy-racer dreams. Its just that a 4-door is awesome for real life daily shit.

fist
10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
240 for a srt4? fuck that. srt4's are GAY. would you rather drive a nice 240sx drift car... or your grandma's neon

fist
10-06-2005, 07:42 PM
all bullshit aside.

neon is NEWER and will last you a bit longer than the 240. you should add up how much you have put into your car and see what it's worth, then see how much you would be able to sell the neon for and then buy something else. that is what i would do if the 240 is getting old and shit with a noisey interior.

i'll tell you one thing. selling my 240 is probably one of the biggest regrets i have. i had a 95 LE. i sold it because i wanted to buy another, mine was auto *pukes* and whoever had it before me lowered it horribly...probably cut the springs or something. but yeah. it sounds like you have a nice 240. and a 97 has the nice aggressive headlights. i'd keep it. how much you wanna sell it for?? fuck i'll buy it if i have enough.