PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to LA/New York

Godfuader
10-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Alright, so with reading break approaching (feb 17 - 26) Im planning a whirlwind tour for the 10 days. Im flying to New Jersey to visit my girlfriend...then we will fly out to the west coast together. Basically I will be going to....New Jersey, New York, Philly, Atlantic City.......then over to the West coast....LA, San Diego, Catalina Island, and Tijuana Mexico.

1) What to do in NY (remember its february) im thinking...Ground Zero, UN, Central Park, Guggenheim . Anything else?
2)Philly and Atlantic City, anything special to visit? Where did Rocky go runnin up those steps?
3)LA. So far only planned to drive around Malibu, Santa Monica, Walk around Hollywood, day cruise off the coast to Catalina Island, catch a Lakers game. What else?
4)San Diego. Going to sea world, anything else to see around San Diego?
5)Tijuana. Just spending an afternoon there. Never been, dunno what to do, other than not drinking the water.

I got a decent deal with the Hollywood Ramada. Anyone got better suggestions for hotels or different location?
Found a place that will rent out Eclipse Spyders (praying for sun) relatively cheap. Might do S2000 or C5 for the last day to cruise around Malibu. car rental deals?
Dont want to do amusement parks other than sea world.

Any suggestions welcome. :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Tijuana is good fun. Bring an extra suitcase if you plan on buying tonnes of cheap stuff there. And ALWAYS haggle, you get anything for cheap down there.

Godfuader
10-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Anything else to do in Tijuana. Just wanna go there to chill out. Definately a little bit of shopping...some eating, maybe hire a boat.

Godfuader
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
thnx for the PMs. Anyone else got suggestions?

ecstasy_civic
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
your gonna be busy for 10 days!@!!:eek:

sounds like fun:)

Redlyne_mr2
10-10-2005, 05:53 PM
LA kicks ass over NY in every way possible, IMO anyways. I wasnt into the hollywood, long beach tourist junk. I didnt however take part in many automotive events and visited a ton of manufacturers and head offices. Went to West coast customs and choppers, met the guys there. Went to a Formula D event , did a pile of body boarding as well.

Celica TVS3
10-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I just got back from NY not to long ago.

The WTC site isn't that interesting- it looks like a construction site with a fence around it. There are some pictures of the buildings and a history of what happened. The saddest part is the graffiti writen on the chain like fence bars. Lots of "We'll miss you daddy".

If you're into shoppping there is a store called Century 21 its right beside the ground zero site. Its basicly giant Winners but they have good deals on nice stuff.

- Don't buy from the vendors there. They are selling knockoff FDNY wear and make the site look like a cheap market.

- Also avoid taking pictures of yourself infront of the site, locals frown upon this.

There is a sushi place in Alphebit city (Far south east part of the island where they run out of street numbers and start using letters) They have 1/2 price sushi after 10 and pitchers of japanese beer are around $5. It's pretty busy the streets look dumpy but its a place where trendy people hang out. I watched Tori Spelling stumble drunk out of a cab while I ate).

If you like art check out the Met. I wouldn't bother with the Mesueum of Natrual History - but i herd their Gem exibit was pretty good.

If you're a Beatles fan you could walk past the Dakota apartment building (lower west side of the park) where John Lenin lived and was shot.

If you feel like going to the clubs head to the Meat Packing District. You'll have to dress up, the clubs are busy and they are selective about who they let in.

You could check out the United Nations & Empire state buildings.

And don't be afraid to take the Subway, its by far the easiest form of transportation.

Godfuader
10-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
LA kicks ass over NY in every way possible, IMO anyways. I wasnt into the hollywood, long beach tourist junk. I didnt however take part in many automotive events and visited a ton of manufacturers and head offices. Went to West coast customs and choppers, met the guys there. Went to a Formula D event , did a pile of body boarding as well.

The lady would probably kick my ass if I try to do car stuff. Took me forever to convince her into checking out F.C. Kerbeck dealership (Lambo, Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin) while I visit. Probably gonna do the automotive stuff next summer. This trip is more post-valentine/quality-time vacation. So might skip some of the touristy stuff and just relax. Will start another thread in spring for summer car stuff in LA.

Originally posted by Celica TVS3
I just got back from NY not to long ago.

The WTC site isn't that interesting- it looks like a construction site with a fence around it. There are some pictures of the buildings and a history of what happened. The saddest part is the graffiti writen on the chain like fence bars. Lots of "We'll miss you daddy".

If you're into shoppping there is a store called Century 21 its right beside the ground zero site. Its basicly giant Winners but they have good deals on nice stuff.

- Don't buy from the vendors there. They are selling knockoff FDNY wear and make the site look like a cheap market.

- Also avoid taking pictures of yourself infront of the site, locals frown upon this.

There is a sushi place in Alphebit city (Far south east part of the island where they run out of street numbers and start using letters) They have 1/2 price sushi after 10 and pitchers of japanese beer are around $5. It's pretty busy the streets look dumpy but its a place where trendy people hang out. I watched Tori Spelling stumble drunk out of a cab while I ate).

If you like art check out the Met. I wouldn't bother with the Mesueum of Natrual History - but i herd their Gem exibit was pretty good.

If you're a Beatles fan you could walk past the Dakota apartment building (lower west side of the park) where John Lenin lived and was shot.

If you feel like going to the clubs head to the Meat Packing District. You'll have to dress up, the clubs are busy and they are selective about who they let in.

You could check out the United Nations & Empire state buildings.

And don't be afraid to take the Subway, its by far the easiest form of transportation.

Figured the WTC site would be lame, thought this way check out the financial district too, but will be there on the weekend so financial district would be dull.

Hows the Met? were tossing between the met and guggenheim.

Thinkin about the clubs. have a couple hookups. so might stop by if time permits.

Definately doing UN cuz the gf interned there.

She seconds the transit suggestions.

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
your gonna be busy for 10 days!@!!:eek:

sounds like fun:)

Sad part is that the winter olympics are at the same time! Checked out the olympic hockey schedule and looks like i can catch most games cuz they start at 6am (LA time)

Zephyr
10-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT CRUISE IN MALIBU CRUISE SPOTS! There is a task force formed just for this now, and they are way faster and harsher than any Sheriff or Highway Patrol. If you get pulled over be prepared to give a very good reason why you are crusing, or pay several thousand and 90 days in jail. They are cracking down on any sports car crusing there due to excessive accidents from canyon racing. They are very strict on this new law now too, so I wouldn't even risk it.

FiveFreshFish
10-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Can tourists get busted for cruising?

Godfuader
10-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Whatever you do, DO NOT CRUISE IN MALIBU CRUISE SPOTS! There is a task force formed just for this now, and they are way faster and harsher than any Sheriff or Highway Patrol. If you get pulled over be prepared to give a very good reason why you are crusing, or pay several thousand and 90 days in jail. They are cracking down on any sports car crusing there due to excessive accidents from canyon racing. They are very strict on this new law now too, so I wouldn't even risk it.

And i am renting an Eclipse Spyder (maybe S2000 or C5) so that would definately draw attention. Well, i plan on cruising by the beachy areas in the daylight hours mainly. Dont plan on breaking the speed limit or reckless driving cuz I will be having a passenger at all times. Im gonna be wearing a Team Canada Jersey/hat, can i prove that i am a tourist and just wanted to check out malibu?

Redlyne_mr2
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Whatever dude you know where so going cruising down there and in the canyons next summer when I drive down there. Alberta plate makes me immune ..plus isnt America the land of the free? As if I cant cruise where I please lol.

Zephyr
10-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Can tourists get busted for cruising?

Depends on if you run into a nice cop, if they have met quota yet, or if its near the end of the month.

Originally posted by Godfuader

And i am renting an Eclipse Spyder (maybe S2000 or C5) so that would definately draw attention. Well, i plan on cruising by the beachy areas in the daylight hours mainly. Dont plan on breaking the speed limit or reckless driving cuz I will be having a passenger at all times. Im gonna be wearing a Team Canada Jersey/hat, can i prove that i am a tourist and just wanted to check out malibu?

Iono, go ahead if you want. I would going during the bright daylight for sure, but there still might be idiots that use both lanes to speed through it. Some R33s use to run around malibu canyons.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Whatever dude you know where so going cruising down there and in the canyons next summer when I drive down there. Alberta plate makes me immune ..plus isnt America the land of the free? As if I cant cruise where I please lol.

They can give you tickets even if you're sporting a canadian plate. LOL land of the free... hahaha more like Land of the Police, In Oil We Trust. And really if they have a task force against it, you're not allowed to do it. Well if you come down with your car, I know spots to cruise without hassel. :thumbsup:

Godfuader
01-05-2006, 10:14 PM
BUMP! Any more suggestions ppl?