PDA

View Full Version : new car needs new sub(s) suggestions?

Harryc8786
10-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey guys my malibu was wrecked. I was able to pull out all my stuff though and I htink it all works. Well I now have a 2003 Sebring which will be too small for my big ol 15'L7. I was looking for a reason to change.

I want a little more punch than that gave me (it was in sealed box) but it doesnt have to be like a 10' However I want some deeper sounding bass too. I have a Kicker Kx 1200.1 to power w/e sub(s) I get. I dont think I wana nother 15. Thinking of 2 12's or 2 maybe 3 10's. The amps sheet says it can do 1420 RMS. Mostly listen to rock but some rap. When I hear rap I like it loud and low. Price ehhhh dont wana pay more than $500/sub nothing toooo expensive and I dont do JL.

Im thinking maybe RE but I heard they got ride of the XXX and they are expensive. I was probably going to look on ebay for the subs because the moneys tight but i dont want crappy stuff.

bdubs767
10-07-2005, 08:17 AM
try some Phoenix gold xenon subs. real cheap to and sound great

93hustler
10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Ever thought about 4 - 8's punchy, and the right 8 can also play low.

Weapon_R
10-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Adire Brahma would fit the bill.

SWX
10-07-2005, 10:59 PM
OH OH :clap: Do eD's their the BEST. I would stay away from E-Bay but thats just me.

b_t
10-08-2005, 12:01 AM
The XXX has a different sound, its the sound in common with all the XBL^2 drivers... it is really smooth, almost perfectly tonally accurate, which is great, but it doesn't have any punch in the bass like a more traditional driver does. If the recording is good and punchy, it will sound amazing, but if it is just a average recording it is kind of mellow. It really depends on your preference, some people love that kind of thing, but I like the impact a eD A series, JL W6v2 or W7, and so on offer...

If you don't have room for a 15 but like the low bass, look into 12" Phoenix Gold Xenons or to a lesser extent the Titaniums. Both of those subs dig loooow, the Titaniums not so much as the Xenons, but they go really deep for a 12" sub. To get extra low bass, put them in a TO SPEC built ported box tuned to between 29 and 31 Hz. A lot of prefab ported boxes will destroy the sound of your subs, they are loud sure, but they get really sloppy in the high sub-bass region (70-90Hz) and have a big peak in response around 45-50Hz so they are very boomy and don't dig down for the deep notes.
Failing that, you could save some money and get elemental Designs 13Kv2s or 13Ov2s. They are an inch oversize so they go a bit lower then your average 12", but the Xenons still edge them out here. 13Ov2s and Xenons actually cost about the same, the Ov2 will handle more RMS power and is a bit crisper and personally I think they look wayyy better, but thats up to you. I am pretty sure you could get the two 13Ov2s, both of them for under $500, so that will save you some money there.

Harryc8786
10-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey bt ya think 2 of those 13Ov.2's will do the trick? In a ported box? I dont have so much trunk room, they look nice and if they can handle 600W RMS than i think both can take my 1420 but uh they dont look like they are meant to move much. Have you seen a set of them hooked up before? If so what was powering them? How loud?

b_t
10-09-2005, 11:30 PM
hmm I have no dB numbers for the 13Ov2s but two 16Ov2s daily driving hit 154dB which is Fucking Loud. eD underrates a lot of their subs, I have 600 watts going to one from a couple years back they rated at 400rms, you just need to be careful and it is no problem. In a ported box those things would POUND, no worries man. Build the elemental spec ported box and it would be sick

DR.Gonzo
10-11-2005, 12:09 AM
hey have you thought of trying your L7 free-air? I realize you will likely not get any info from tech support, but I have done alot of subs free-air that werent "meant" for it and phenominal results. I know the L5 work great in this configuration. just a thought

Raz
10-11-2005, 12:15 AM
off topic here, but shouldn't you update your profile to reflect your change in vehicle?

on topic however, I can vouch for 3-4 8's, they can sound REALLY good in the right configuration, that or a free air'ed L7 might not be a bad idea, give it a shot, how's your hatrack? ;)

:D

- Rasmus

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2005, 01:45 AM
The best subs, in my opinion, (and you can read reviews all day that back me up or just post on elitecaraudio.com), are made by Image Dynamics. Additionally, they are an independant company and they are inexpensive. About $100 USD will get you a Image Dynamics ID 10 V3. Put it in a 0.7 cu ft sealed box and you have the best sounding 10 available pretty well. You could run 3 of those or 2 ID 12 V3's. I guarantee you it would be the best setup you've heard yet. It is a perfect balance between sound quality and SPL.

Go to www.imagedynamicsusa.com to check em out, or post on elitecaraudio.com and ask....people with $20,000 USD sound quality setups use these $100 USD subs ALL THE TIME.

Their worth a look,

Mark

Jonathan@TCS
10-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Have you listened to any of the higher end MTX subs, in their Sledgehammer boxes. I have 2 7500 12" in the custom vented box for $899. Come in and take a listen, I think you will be impressed.

DR.Gonzo
10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey Mitsu3000GT ,if you want to know where to get ID message me I will help you out. Its one of the lines I carry and I gotta tell ya I really like them.

Harryc8786
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
I like the eD stuff. Jw, on their site when I looked @ the 11.ov's and 13's I had a queston of power. With my amp im better off with the 13's im prettysure. If I build a sealed box to spec for 2 of those 13's than ya think with my power and maybe some dynamat it will push me to the high 130's or verylow 140 db range? I know its hard to guess but I like a sealed box and a loud one too. Would putting that cottony stuffing stuff inside my box 'make the sub think its in a bigger box' as I hear? Is that only for ported, would that matter for this setup? Oh and finally would coating the inside of the box with fiberglass resin do much for me, or dynamat inside?

b_t
10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
dude in a ported box one 13Ov2 on its own hit over 140dB, I think the test car was a Volkswagon Golf... you will definitely get into the high 130s, low 140s are not unlikely..

Harryc8786
10-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Well hey the dude @ the shop I go to offered me 2 12' L7's for $300 USD. If I trade in my 15. I figure noone will buy it for much because people can get them cheap on ebay since I payed the MSRP of $500. Im just hopeing since I wont have a giant box these will atlease be similar in loudness. 2 in a sealed box.