PDA

View Full Version : nhl sportsnet blackout

sml
10-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know what NHL games sportsnet blackouts? Say I was on BEV West (Calgary) and I want to catch the Flames games, are all home games broadcast on sportsnet blackout? Can I timeheet on sportnet on the East Coast to watch this game?

davidI
10-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping ticket demand is high enough that they don't black out many games....but yea, if the Flames game is being broadcast through Sportsnet East I'm pretty sure we can get it through those higher channels on Shaw (7x I think). I wish we got the U.S. OLN for some of those games too...

toyboy88
10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
stupid baseball playoffs taking up the calgary flames games on HD!!!!!! :guns:

pizalm
10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I'm hoping ticket demand is high enough that they don't black out many games....but yea, if the Flames game is being broadcast through Sportsnet East I'm pretty sure we can get it through those higher channels on Shaw (7x I think). I wish we got the U.S. OLN for some of those games too...
Aren't most games sold out already? I heard that somewhere so the demand should be high enough.

rage2
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM
That's not how NHL blackouts work. That's how CFL blackouts work.

NHL blackouts are designed to show you ONLY games local to you. Meaning if the provider doesn't have national rights to a game, it's only allowed to show it to the region of the team. So any flames games broadcast nationally or regionally will NOT get blacked out for Calgary. Same goes for Oilers games, because we are in the same region.

This allows the center ice package to make money, if you want to see a game in Calgary not local to you (such as a leafs game without national broadcast rights) you will have to buy the Centre Ice package.

So yes, tonight's game at 5pm will be on Sportsnet.

NHL Canada Regions:
The West The Prairies, NWT & Nunavut (Oilers and Flames)
The Pacific BC & Yukon (Canucks)
Ontario West of Pembroke (Maple Leafs)
The East Ontario (East of Pembroke), Quebec & the Maritimes (Senators and Canadiens)

cman
10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
fuck i hate this blackout shit. it was bad enough with the stamps for the past 893853 years and now the flames too.

edit: ok so thats how it works rage. thats better, i understand the logic behind that method.

but the stamps one is still BS, most of their games are sold out anyways arnt they?

davidI
10-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cman
fuck i hate this blackout shit. it was bad enough with the stamps for the past 893853 years and now the flames too.

edit: ok so thats how it works rage. thats better, i understand the logic behind that method.

but the stamps one is still BS, most of their games are sold out anyways arnt they?

I thought it was the same for the flames as it is the stamps, thx for the correction rage.

Stamps games aren't usually sold out...but when they get close enough to max they lift the black out - not always, but quite often.

MrFluff99
03-10-2006, 05:37 PM
the only ones that lose are the fans....I live in BC and can't get the flames or the oilers, just the canooks...even if the canucks aren't playing, they black out the oilers..this is censorship, and it is yet another reason to get rid of the CRTC, and have a democracy, without some twit politician telling me what i can watch or not. Fortunately, there is a simple way around this...i have the full starchoice package, and i would be willing to trade an activated receiver for one that is activated for sporstnet west in the prairies...this is not theft...my subscription is legitimate, and i pay almost $100 / month...i just want to see my teams play hockey..is that so much to ask? It's not like i can get to the games... "why are there no political jokes out there anymore? Because they all got elected"

anyone interested in canuck games, let me know

gpomp
03-10-2006, 05:45 PM
old thread but you can just spend the $25/month and get all the nhl games???

Nissanaddict
03-10-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah, centre ice'll take care of ya. The only games centre ice has blacked out, are pay per view games in your region, so if you're NOT in the Flames region, you shouldn't have to pay for pay per view if you get centre ice (and $25 beats $10 a game) I think that's not too bad.

MrFluff99
03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
star choice doesn't have "center ice" ..there is no other way to do it...we can't even get pay per view unless it's from Vancouver

YamaLube
03-10-2006, 06:32 PM
4 out of 5 Flames fans agree.............

MrFluff99
03-10-2006, 06:41 PM
LOL.. good one!!

gpomp
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
no center ice? ouch. switch to bell if it's that important for you.