PDA

View Full Version : open vs. closed face helmets

REFLUX
02-12-2003, 06:34 PM
i just got off of HT & ppl were arguing about open or closed face helmets

some were saying that you NEED a closed face helmet for HPDE (high performance driving events) AKA road racing to avoid rocks & flying debris

i'm confused, are they driving go-karts???

wouldn't a "windshield" and "windows" protect you from debris? or do they drive with windows down?

EDIT: i've never done road racing (yet) so i dont know if ppl DO drive with windows down or not

speedracer
02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Closed face helments are much safer. You'll be glade you have one when the windshield gets damaged. Flying objects tend to hurt.

Windshields will hold together(by design) but that doesn't mean small objects or peices of the windshield won't come at you

Windows shatter (by design). Most Race Cars you'll notice have window nets instead.
With that in mind you should keep the windows up. There is a tendency for your hand to brace for impact during a roll and with out the window in the way your had may get crushed.

Just like wearing nomex clothing. The chances of a fire in the car are slim but it does happen.

I would check with the HPDE rule book from the organizer - From there that is what the minimum that should be followed. Max? - How much you value your life. :)
(What's HT?)

kevie88
02-12-2003, 09:21 PM
I come off motorcycles at high rates of speed, so a full face is nessesary for me.. :confused:

Originally posted by speedracer

(What's HT?)
www.honda-tech.com I think:thumbsup:

hjr
02-12-2003, 10:20 PM
when i rally its open faced. for closed faced in road racing im 99% sure its purpose is fire protection. You dont wanna have a fire suit, underware, shoes, gloves and 2/3rds of a helmet, leaving your face exposed.

REFLUX
02-14-2003, 05:15 PM
alright cool, thanks guys
looks like im gonna go for closed face

HT = honda-tech.com :D