PDA

View Full Version : UofC Engineering question

Gurpy
10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey,

So when you apply at the uofc for engineering there's a first year common program right? Does that mean you just apply for the faculty of engineering and don't specify a course to take? So you can just take the first year common program then decide what program to take after that.....or do you have to tell them what you want to take to get accepted in to the faculty?

punky
10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
first year is all general.
doesn't matter really what you choose.
You'll have to select which u want to go into, at the end of the year, and they'll decide if you get in or not depending on your gpa.

Gurpy
10-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Alright cool, if you don't get in to the program you selected can you transfer to another one easily? I ask this because im looking at oil and gas which requires a 3.75 GPA but everyone keeps saying engineering is hard as hell, so im a little worried... I need a backup plan, just in case.

elmo909
10-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Engineering IS hard. If you want to get into petroleum engineering and don't have a 3.75 (Which you likely won't), The University of Alberta only requires a 2.00 and is a way better university.

n00bit
10-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Usually you have to select 5 program choices. I am not sure if its changed but they rank you based on GPA and what you want to select as your choices and if you don't make the cut, they go to your 2nd choice.. 3rd choice.. etc. It depends how many other people are applying for oil/gas. If a lot apply, and you have a low GPA, you'll probably not make it.

Gurpy
10-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Alright, thanks everyone. I don't really want to go to the UofA, but if it comes down to it I guess I might have to. The 5 program choices really eases my mind though...because I know i'd have a high enough GPA to get in to computer or software engineering, but 3.75 will be really tough. I think I might be able to pull it off with enough work though....

Thanks for the help everyone

-Gurpy

turbotrip
10-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by elmo909
Engineering IS hard. If you want to get into petroleum engineering and don't have a 3.75 (Which you likely won't), The University of Alberta only requires a 2.00 and is a way better university.
can u switch to u of a after 1st year at u of c? like if someone applies to oil and gas and doesnt get in at u of c, can they go to u of a as second year?

A2VR6
10-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Gurpy
Alright, thanks everyone. I don't really want to go to the UofA, but if it comes down to it I guess I might have to. The 5 program choices really eases my mind though...because I know i'd have a high enough GPA to get in to computer or software engineering, but 3.75 will be really tough. I think I might be able to pull it off with enough work though....

Thanks for the help everyone

-Gurpy

Well the GPA values will vary from year to year depending on how many people apply to a specific program. I know for a fact that Oil and Gas GPA for this year (I think thats petroleum) was around 3.2. Mind you, theres only about 15 spots for Oil and Gas. If you dont think you can make oil and gas take chemical as the 2nd year courses are essentially the same thing. It's much easier to transfer from mech or chem into oil and gas than it is to transfer from electrical/software into oil and gas.

Gurpy
10-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Awesome, I think i'd be able to pull of a 3.2 for sure. Only 15 spots though, eh? Looks like it's going to be extremely competitive to get in then. Thanks for the advice - i'll set chemical as my 2nd and computer/software/electrical as my 3rd/4th/5th. I'm still a while away from applying though, so I have some time to read up on some of the engineering courses and over some labs or whatever if I can find anyone that has some and get a little ahead.

heinz256
10-07-2005, 11:56 PM
yah i still have no idea wut i want to do in my 2nd year ...right now im jus trying to survive first year..I heard in the next couple weeks or so, shits gonna hit the fan.

sabad66
10-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Any idea what the average GPAs for chem and mech engg are? I was thinking to go into Chemical and get a minor in petroleum...if I don't get weeded out this year.

A2VR6
10-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Any idea what the average GPAs for chem and mech engg are? I was thinking to go into Chemical and get a minor in petroleum...if I don't get weeded out this year.

Mech was around 2.87 last year. Chem was about 2.90. I wanted into chem, but I just missed the cut and got into mech. No big deal tho!

A|pine
10-08-2005, 04:53 PM
3.00 is like all B right?

A2VR6
10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by A|pine
3.00 is like all B right?

Yes, and it's harder to achieve that than you think.

n00bit
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Dont' sweat it too much. It depends on how many people apply to each program. I remember back during the tech boom, everyone wanted to get into electrical and the entry gpa was high and no one wanted to go into chem because they were afraid they wouldn't get jobs when they graduated. Then when it all bust, no one wanted to go to electrical and it was 2nd lowest (lowest was software). Now with the oil prices over $60, everyone wants to get into chem engg.

My advice is to bust your ass to get into oil and gas or chem engg. A bunch of my friends who didn't get their 1st or 2nd picks are stuck in programs they absolutely hate.

A2VR6
10-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by n00bit
My advice is to bust your ass to get into oil and gas or chem engg. A bunch of my friends who didn't get their 1st or 2nd picks are stuck in programs they absolutely hate.

:werd: And if you hate what you are doing in university, you will most likely drop out.

punky
10-09-2005, 08:33 PM
weird.. cuz my friend who wants to get into mech.. but he didnt make it because he got a 3.299 i think...
Don't flame me, im in electrical... but... i'm just curious

A2VR6
10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by punky
weird.. cuz my friend who wants to get into mech.. but he didnt make it because he got a 3.299 i think...
Don't flame me, im in electrical... but... i'm just curious

Really??? Was this last year???

punky
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
yup last year.

A2VR6
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by punky
yup last year.

Yikes! :eek: Are you sure he took every single course required first year and that he put mech as his top choice??? Thats pretty wierd if he didnt make it, since I know for a fact that the cutoff was much lower than that.

Marsh
10-10-2005, 01:53 PM
^^ Must have been 2nd priority, otherwise there's no reason to be shut out of mech with that GPA

punky
10-10-2005, 04:12 PM
pretty sure he didnt fail anything... PRETTY DARN SURE.
EVERYONE wanted mech last year~

Chiram000
10-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I wonder what the cut is going to be next year for petro ... cause right now im busting my ass to stay above 3.75

elmo909
10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
holy shit, i'm busting my ass to stay above 2.5 and hopefully get a 3 at the u of a...

V6-BoI
10-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Chiram000
I wonder what the cut is going to be next year for petro ... cause right now im busting my ass to stay above 3.75

You will be fine if you can maintain your 3.75.
If it was like when I was in first year (which was 3 years ago), then you should be able to get in with a 3.0. But like noobit says, depends on how many people wanna get into the program. Keep busting your ass, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Nova316
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
:hijack:
I was wondering if u lose priority in choosing which field you go into if you take your option in spring? Cause right now I am failing anthropology, and was wondering if I should drop it then just retake it or something else in spring when I have more time. Does anyone know if that affects anything? Like priority into second year because u aren’t done all your classes by winter? Thanks

V6-BoI
10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Yes your priority does drop. The most priority is given to students who have taken all 11 classes in fall and winter.

A2VR6
10-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Yep so most likely, if you do drop a class you most likely wont get your first choice (unless it's something like electrical or civil or software or something that not alot of people choose). So my advice is to try to make the best you can of your situation and just try to pass. Remember, 2nd semester is usually easier and you will have a chance to boost your GPA.

Nova316
10-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Cause i totally bombed my anthro midterm which was worth 30% of my grade i got 18/40
so i was wondering if i should drop it or just stick with it even tho ill bite my GPA in the ass
My buddy who did drop anthro hes in engineering to, said he talked to the registration people and said it doesnt affect your prorirty when u drop a class as long as your GPA is high enough and you finish your course before next fall?
Cause they look at your techinal courses first then your option?

punky
10-14-2005, 07:33 AM
DO NOT FAIL OR DROP THEM~
Work your ass off and at least pass them. i failed both of my econ midterms (50% of the marks) and i still got a B+ in the class.
all it takes is some work and a lot of determination to pass it.
if you're looking into going for a high demand faculty, do not drop or fail any classes. You got 251/253 to boost ur gba.
My advice is work hard and pass it.

V6-BoI
10-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Nova316

My buddy who did drop anthro hes in engineering to, said he talked to the registration people and said it doesnt affect your prorirty when u drop a class as long as your GPA is high enough and you finish your course before next fall?
Cause they look at your techinal courses first then your option?

Hmmm... that's weird, cuz I remember in first year, they made it pretty clear that first priority is given to those who take all 11 classes. And I suggest you bust your ass off in your anthro class. I personally don't think it's worth dropping a class unless you are going to get an F in it (even a D is better than a W in most cases). So see how it goes for now, until it is close to final exams. If you find that you are really gonna get an F in that class, then drop it, if not, just stick with it.

Nova316
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Well i went around and around today to find out all the information i could. Your option is suppose to be your GPA booster, so u dont need to take it, U only lose proritiy if u drop a CORE subject not a COST subject. SO i could take anthro over spring, it wouldnt effect my GPA standings tho, not sure if thats good or not, but thats what i found out :)

andres_mt
10-14-2005, 08:37 PM
it doesn't affect your priority, you can take your option whenever before next fall session..i talked to the undergraduate office thursday.:thumbsup:

V6-BoI
10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Nova316
Well i went around and around today to find out all the information i could. Your option is suppose to be your GPA booster, so u dont need to take it, U only lose proritiy if u drop a CORE subject not a COST subject. SO i could take anthro over spring, it wouldnt effect my GPA standings tho, not sure if thats good or not, but thats what i found out :)

Oh really?? Hmm... maybe that was the situation for me as well, when I was in first year, heh don't really recall.

andres_mt
10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
yea man, and it makes sense..like should one option really
affect your other technical courses?, as long you get it done..when you do it shouldn't matter