PDA

View Full Version : Not bad for a Cavalier err... I mean Cobalt.

benyl
10-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Cobalt SS Supercharged Wins Time Attack on 'Street Tuner Challenge'

Besting a 600 HP Nissan Skyline and nitrous-charged Volkswagen Jetta

BUTTONWILLOW, California - Timing is everything, and the timing of the new Cobalt SS Supercharged's introduction couldn't be better. As Chevy's new sport compact performance car debuts in dealer showrooms, it already has a record-setting pedigree. Driver John Heinricy piloted a race-prepared Cobalt SS Supercharged on a challenging road course at the Buttonwillow Raceway Park, besting both the legendary Nissan Skyline and the new Volkswagen Jetta by more than seven seconds. The Cobalt SS, which is based on Chevy's new factory-built front-wheel-drive Super Sport, posted a time of 1:58 around Buttonwillow's #13 track configuration, which was fast enough to eclipse the marks set by the All-Wheel-Drive, twin-turbo Skyline (2:05) and the nitrous-charged Jetta (2:07).

"It was an absolute blast to run the Cobalt SS flat-out on the Buttonwillow track," said Heinricy, current SCCA driving champion and GM Performance Division's Director of High Performance Vehicle Operations. "GM Performance Division and the Powell Motorsports crew gave me a perfectly prepared car, and the Ecotec engine ran flawlessly."

A television crew from Speed Channel's Street Tuner Challenge was on hand to direct the day's competition at the track. The Street Tuner Challenge chose three vehicle makes representing North America (Chevrolet Cobalt SS), Europe (Volkswagen Jetta) and Asia (Nissan Skyline) and followed each team throughout a 13 week build competition. The Cobalt build team was comprised of engineers and designers from the GM Performance Division and Powell Motorsports, while the Nissan Skyline was built by XS Engineering and the Jetta was assembled by Autobahn Designs. The final time attack race served as the build completion and the culmination of Speed Channel's taping. For program times, please check Speed Channel's web site at http://www.speedtv.com.

The production Cobalt SS Supercharged has strong performance credentials in factory trim. Powered by a supercharged and intercooled 205-horsepower, 2.0-liter Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine and equipped with a tenacious suspension developed on Germany's famed Nurburgring race track, the production Cobalt SS Supercharged will bring more heat to the already red-hot sport compact segment.

GM Performance Division created the Cobalt SS for this time attack competition to demonstrate the ultimate capabilities of the four-cylinder, supercharged Ecotec engine and Chevy's new front-wheel-drive "tuner" car. The program was led by the GM Performance Division, in collaboration with Chevrolet, GM Powertrain, GM Performance Parts, and GM Design. Powell Motorsports, in Blackstock, Ontario, Canada provided vehicle preparation and logistical support for the successful assault on the time attack.

"The Cobalt SS surpassed every expectation we had going into this competition," said GM Performance Division Executive Director Mark Reuss. "We came to Buttonwillow to demonstrate the performance and reliability of the Ecotec engine on one of the most demanding tracks in the world. The Cobalt SS, driver John Heinricy, and the entire team performed to the highest standards. We're out here to be the best, and today we proved that Chevy and GM race to win."

Enthusiasts will be able to catch a live glimpse of the Time Attack Cobalt SS Supercharged this November at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas. It will also run on Tuesday, November 8, 2005 in Super Street magazine's Time Attack at Buttonwillow Raceway Park.

Time Attack Cobalt SS Supercharged Specifications

Body/chassis structure:
Uni-body

Body material:
Two sided galvanized steel, carbon fiber doors, hood, decklid, rear wing, front splitter, roof

Chassis material:
Two sided galvanized steel, carbon fiber roof

Suspension

Front:
Macpherson strut, no front bar, increased spring rates, Ohlins adjustable struts

Rear:
Twisting beam with adjustable sway bar, increased spring rate, Ohlins adjustable shocks

Wheels:
9.5 x 18, 9.5 x 17

Tire size

Front:
245 40 17

Rear:
Same as front

Tire brand:
Hoosier DOT

Brakes:
111.6 / 296 x 1.02 / 26; vented discs front 0.6 / 270 x .55 / 14; solid discs

Powertrain

Engine:
ECOTEC LSJ Supercharged

With Stage 2 Kit:

Larger injectors, 77.9 mm pulley

Engine displacement (cu. in / cc):
2000 cc

Horsepower maximum (hp / kw):
265 hp (SAE)

Torque maximum (lbs-ft / Nm)
270 lb-ft

Transmission:
F35 5 spd mt with 4.45 final drive

Dimensions

Height (in / mm):

Length (in / mm):

Width (in / mm):

Wheelbase (in / mm):

Track

Front/rear (in / mm):
57.1/58.1 nominal

Weight (lbs / kg):
2300 lbs

Xtrema
10-10-2005, 03:17 AM
flamebait :drama:

BTW, isn't this old news from a spring when Cobalt first came out in Spring?

Kirbs17
10-10-2005, 08:40 AM
the other drivers had to have been shit if a cobalt ss with 265 hp/270 tq beat a skyline tt....:thumbsdow

ExtremeSi
10-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I saw the show on speed chanel, and it was pretty impressive.
The Cobalt was highly modified, including a full race cage and race-spec tires, brakes, suspension, etc.
That's not to say the Skyline wasn't, but i guess the track was had more tight turns, than straightaways, because the Skyline was pushing over 600hp! The driver of the Skyline also had some minor problems. He had never driven a right-hand drive car before either, but I was still amazed that the Cobalt won.
I would still choose the Skyline in a heartbeat :D

A790
10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Yea no doubt ^^.

The fact that a 600HP Skyline lost was rediculous, especially considering all the other modifications that were made to it.

962 kid
10-10-2005, 11:44 AM
"It was an absolute blast to run the Cobalt SS flat-out on the Buttonwillow track," said Heinricy, current SCCA driving champion

here's your problem. a hardcore racer on a track that can be used for gokarts + the entire GM performance division vs. highly modified cars driven by their owners :rolleyes: hooray for GM

Mazstyle
10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I saw about half the show, the only reason the cobalt won was because both other cars had mechanical failures, something happened with the skylines brakes <13 yr old car> and the guy spun out <he did miss a shift earlier as well went to 4th instead of second> And the Jetta started shooting flames out the exhaust and lost all power so they quit the run.

Way to go cobalt! :thumbsdow

A2VR6
10-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Well if you look at both of the other two cars, they had like the DVD system and all that other bull in it, while the cobalt was stripped. To me it appeared that the other two were built as show cars rather than a time attack race car that the cobalt was. Not taking anything away from the cobalt tho... but when you have a factory team versus two smaller tuning shops you really have to wonder.

That.Guy.S30
10-10-2005, 04:57 PM
kind of wierd since the skyline is 13+ years old and is being compared to 2 brand new cars.

on a side note, wasnt hks building the skyline?

Zenshi
10-11-2005, 01:31 AM
now... take the cobalt to japan play w/ the skylines (and the drivers) there

Raz
10-11-2005, 01:39 AM
can't believe that GM had SO much backing and only made 21 hp over stock? wtf

the Skyline had 800whp!!! And had issues with wheel rub ... :( Also the driver was a moron

Last but not least, ABD was stuck with an Auto FWD Jetta :( they COULD'VE gotten the 6spd or the 2.0T or something cool :(

- Rasmus

GoChris
10-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Raz
can't believe that GM had SO much backing and only made 21 hp over stock? wtf

- Rasmus

Um it looks like 60 hp over stock and more tq, i forget what stock is but it aint more than 200 so at leat 70 tq over stock.

b_t
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
wow you guys are all just butthurt the Cobolt destroyed the Skyline and Jetta... who the fuck cares the Cobolt was race prepped, that was the WHOLE POINT of the show! And only 70 horsepower over stock??? That is a pretty big jump in power, plus on a road course the overall driveability of the car and how well it meshes as a whole is much much much more important then how much power it has.
From the sounds of it, the guys who built the Skyline and the Jetta had no fuckin idea what they are doing, so no wonder the Cobalt won.

Aleks
10-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by b_t
wow you guys are all just butthurt the Cobolt destroyed the Skyline and Jetta... who the fuck cares the Cobolt was race prepped, that was the WHOLE POINT of the show! And only 70 horsepower over stock??? That is a pretty big jump in power, plus on a road course the overall driveability of the car and how well it meshes as a whole is much much much more important then how much power it has.
From the sounds of it, the guys who built the Skyline and the Jetta had no fuckin idea what they are doing, so no wonder the Cobalt won.

It's funny how when a skyline gets beat everyone is callilng BS. What if it won. You'd all be happy? The car is 13 years old making 800 HP. Things are bound to be unreliable at some point. Had they just left it stock and upgraded a few minor things it would have killed probably. But they tried for massive HP to show off their skillz. Skyline team beat themselves that time. :thumbsdow

Raz
10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
So. none of you saw the ep?

according to the before/after dyno the car made only another 21 hp.

even an increase in 60 hp is pathetic for a 2.0 forced induction RACE engine, i would expect 400whp+

I'm glad they did well, but it sucks that the other teams were so gay.

b_t
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Raz
So. none of you saw the ep?

according to the before/after dyno the car made only another 21 hp.

even an increase in 60 hp is pathetic for a 2.0 forced induction RACE engine, i would expect 400whp+

I'm glad they did well, but it sucks that the other teams were so gay.

the true factory race team Cobalts only make around 300 horsepower... as do almost all the Integras, Civics, and BMWs in the old Speedvision touring car races and a lot of the newer touring car racing series as well. They are fast more because they are totally stripped with full weight reduction, rather then having jacked up motors. power isn't everything.

calgarys13
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
the skyline was making 800whp and suffered due to a bad wheel bearing..the skyline was even more race prepped that the cobalt...its just that the skyline has to brake super early due to the wheel bearing..if you watch the show youll notice that the driver of the skyline wasn't to great either..also notice that team XS's stock car that they ran the stock times with was a gts-t with a gtr front end conversion...thought that was kind of funny

OrderedCHAOS
10-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
..........also notice that team XS's stock car that they ran the stock times with was a gts-t with a gtr front end conversion...thought that was kind of funny

Also since when did a "stock" car come with an aftermarket air intake...and who knows what else. Ah well.

I thought the Jetta was sporting a turbo? What happened to that? Instead they used nitrous and grenaded the motor....nice.

The Cobalt's engine was completely torn down and then assembled for only 23RWHP?? Pathetic.

What a lame show, at the end no one won. Lovely.

Toms-SC
10-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Good for the Cobalt :D

bspot
10-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by OrderedCHAOS

The Cobalt's engine was completely torn down and then assembled for only 23RWHP?? Pathetic.

#1 They didn't completely tear down the engine, they put on the stage 2 kit which GM will be offering to Joe Cavalier Driver.

#2 its not rwhp, its fwhp

#3 Its fun to watch everyone cry when domestics win something.

#4 I'm off to go for a spin in my 'cavalier'

962 kid
10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by bspot

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/803/803_image_05.jpg

er... have you read anything said in this thread? the cobalt won because

a) small, tight course

b) professional driver vs average schmoe

c) ENTIRE GM performance division backing the project

d) all the other cars had mechanical failures, not allowing them a full day of racing

sure they won fair and square :dunno: but under those circumstances, I would expect a hyundai accent to be able to sneak out a win

OrderedCHAOS
10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bspot

#1 They didn't completely tear down the engine, they put on the stage 2 kit which GM will be offering to Joe Cavalier Driver.

#2 its not rwhp, its fwhp

#4 I'm off to go for a spin in my 'cavalier'

#1 - Well, I didn't see all the shows, but the one in particular I happened to watch had the motor off the car and torn down right to the block. Crankshaft, pistons, camshaft, timing chain off, the whole 9 yards. It was apart. Was it needed to intall the "Joe 6-pack Stage 2 mod", no idea, but it was done and you figure they would have done something at that point. If all they did was put the stock components back on...then so be it...but what a complete waste of time if that was the case.

#2 - You are correct, I forgot the Cobalt was FWD. I tend to do that a lot as I live in a RWD world. My apologies. Should have just said 23WHP.

#3 - True dat.

#4 - Have fun!

kenny
10-11-2005, 10:12 PM
At the end of the day, whatever the reasons were, the cobalt won the competition. You can think of 900 reasons why the all mighty skyline didn't win--but, it still lost. Point is, the cobalt is not a bad car at all and is reliable enough to win some races.

It doesn't matter how much power you are putting to the wheels when doing a road course like this. It all depends on how much usable power is ultimately making it to the road. 600whp in a tight corner isn't going to do shit.