PDA

View Full Version : Talk winter tires...

neely
10-08-2005, 03:00 PM
What has everyone run for winter tires and what did they think about them- im looking for some first hand opinions of winter tires people have used around town in calgary. state vehicle as well.

max_boost
10-08-2005, 03:06 PM
BMW 330Ci

Kumho KW19's

Soft compound, studless, grips really well on ice/snow. On my second season now, just got them put on today at Tirecraft.

RickDaTuner
10-08-2005, 03:38 PM
hankook W300's had them on last year and they still have some good treat on them for this winter so I'll run them again, straight after they were installed they felt like the side walls were made out of fabric, but after about 1500 they firmed up, still a really soft tire in terms of Sidewall rigidity,

i was Running these on my Impreza they did a really good job i think especially with all the tire spinning and drifting i did through the winter, they are if i recall just about the cheapest 17" winter tire you can get too

if you want the ultimate in winter tires, your gonna wanna go with Nokian Hakkapeliittas but they cost and arm and a leg:thumbsup:

infected
10-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Pirelli Winter Carving.

BokCh0y
10-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Lexus IS300

Toyo Garit H/T

This will be my 2nd year running these. Awesome winter tires. check out the info at http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?brand=Toyo&category=Winter

Grips excellent on snow and even better on ice. Excellent tire all around.

A2VR6
10-08-2005, 06:45 PM
RSX Type S

Toyot Garit H/T

hampstor
10-08-2005, 10:45 PM
nissan sentra spec v
motor master nordic icetrac - on my 2nd set (first got stolen)

GoChris
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
dunlop graspics (sp?) were awesome last winter, look forward to running them again. was no prob with a 200+hp fwd

Aleks
10-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
BMW 330Ci

Kumho KW19's

Soft compound, studless, grips really well on ice/snow. On my second season now, just got them put on today at Tirecraft.

I sport the KW19s as well. They were pretty cheap and work really really well :thumbsup:

Altezza
10-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Lexus IS300
Nokian Hakka Q's

- Awesome grip on snow and ice (especially lateral grip).
- Last surprisingly long.
- A tad squirmy on dry pavement

lastprodigy
10-09-2005, 11:18 AM
if money aint a thang then go for the nokians! there are a lot of other well priced good one sout there as have been mentione din this thread though!

CivicDXR
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
96 Civic Coupe
Blizzak MZ-01

-discountinued directional winter performance tire
-this will be their 2nd season of use on my car
-soft compound
-awesome in snow and ice
-corners unbelievablely well in winter conditions

Pic found on the 'net:
http://www.avtokord.ru/pictures/big/MZ01b.jpg

max_boost
10-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
96 Civic Coupe
Blizzak MZ-01

-discountinued directional winter performance tire
-this will be their 2nd season of use on my car
-soft compound
-awesome in snow and ice
-corners unbelievable well in winter conditions

Pic found on the 'net:
http://www.avtokord.ru/pictures/big/MZ01b.jpg

Amazing tire, had a set on my dad's Windstar that I drove for a few winters, that thing was such a beast on the roads. :burnout:

ZMan2k2
10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I sport the KW19s as well. They were pretty cheap and work really really well :thumbsup:

Another vote for KW19's. Not gonna put them on till next week, but they performed fantastic on ice and snow last year. Even on the highway with a blowing snow/ cross-wind on the way to Edmonton.

Tuner1
10-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
BMW 330Ci

Kumho KW19's

Haven't you worn those babies out yet :rofl: Turn off the traction control and go have some fun!

I have owned and driven on dozens of different snow tires but if I had to choose my #1 pick it would be the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Great snow and ice grip and still drives well on dry roads.

One caveat for all those reading this thread.....You need to match the tires to the car! Example: 1988 Mustang 5.0 (not the world best now car) will benefit from a tire with lots of ice and snow grip (Dunlop Graspic, Kumho KW19) but dry traction may not be as important. 2005 Subaru STi would be better off with a 'high performance' snow tire (Dunlop M3, Pirelli W240) since the car will naturally be excellent in the winter and you may still want to use all 300hp when the roads are dry ;)

Rob

carzcraz
10-09-2005, 06:06 PM
01 Acura 3.2 CL-S

This will be my second season with them.

So far, no complaints whatsoever. Only problem with them (probably just bad timing) but I did not come across a single store in town that had my size in stock, and therefore needed to get my replacement shipped overnight from Vancouver.

Rav4Guy
10-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Will be putting these on right before winter. will stay on for all-season use.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci3_l.jpg
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci2_l.jpg

hockeybronx
10-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by neely
What has everyone run for winter tires and what did they think about them- im looking for some first hand opinions of winter tires people have used around town in calgary. state vehicle as well.

Here are some excellent deals from Contemporary Motor Sports. I'm in the process of cashing in on one of these deals myself:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102295

Originally posted by Rav4Guy
Will be putting these on right before winter. will stay on for all-season use.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci3_l.jpg
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci2_l.jpg

I bought these Bridgestone for my truck I used to have. They have to be the most kick-ass tires I've ever owned in terms of aggresive looks, amazing traction... price was a little steep but it was worth it. Man I miss those beauties.:(

neely
10-09-2005, 08:46 PM
this is a good informative thread. i have run nokians in the past and loved them on my old GTi. Had winter slaloms on a 626 years ago and i thought they sucked compared to the nokians. Ran the bridgestone dueller REVO's on my old 2000 4runner, pretty good in the winter for an all season truck tire. Im looking for something to put on my wifes sienna this winter. The kuhmo's seem reasonably priced and i have heard some good things about them. Whats teh diff between the KW-11 and the KW-19?

GTS Jeff
10-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1

Haven't you worn those babies out yet :rofl: Turn off the traction control and go have some fun!

I have owned and driven on dozens of different snow tires but if I had to choose my #1 pick it would be the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. Great snow and ice grip and still drives well on dry roads.

One caveat for all those reading this thread.....You need to match the tires to the car! Example: 1988 Mustang 5.0 (not the world best now car) will benefit from a tire with lots of ice and snow grip (Dunlop Graspic, Kumho KW19) but dry traction may not be as important. 2005 Subaru STi would be better off with a 'high performance' snow tire (Dunlop M3, Pirelli W240) since the car will naturally be excellent in the winter and you may still want to use all 300hp when the roads are dry ;)

Rob :werd:

I just put on a set of KW19s on Friday and have done about 1500km worth of highway driving on them now. Dry hwy driving unfortunately! :rolleyes:

I don't know how these perform in the snow, but damn, they turned my tightly wound handling machine into a floating Buick. :( I can barely keep up in the corners with minivans and stuff haha. I ended up jacking the pressure to 42 psi at the first gas station I came across. I kinda wish I had gone for the KW17s.

HRD2PLZ
10-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Running Michelin Pilot Alpins on the 4Motion Passat. I'll run with my Michelin MXV4 all seasons again this year, planning on getting rid of the car in February. Depending how the first couple weeks go, I might take the plunge and get some Arctic Alpins for the TL too. I think the Celica runs on Blizzaks, not sure what kind though...

hockeybronx
10-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
:werd:

I just put on a set of KW19s on Friday and have done about 1500km worth of highway driving on them now. Dry hwy driving unfortunately! :rolleyes:

I don't know how these perform in the snow, but damn, they turned my tightly wound handling machine into a floating Buick. :( I can barely keep up in the corners with minivans and stuff haha. I ended up jacking the pressure to 42 psi at the first gas station I came across. I kinda wish I had gone for the KW17s.

Jeff, I know last year you swore by the KW-19s, not it seems you are not so sure.

I'm in the process of getting a set from CMS, but am trying to decided between the KW-19s and KW-17s.

CMSbob basically said that the KW-19s are the go-to ice tire, and they wont wear out as quickly as the Blizzaks or those top grade ice tires. However for more performance when the roads are dry he recommended the KW-17s which are a little less aggresive than the KW-19s and will perform a little better all around.

I'm thinking the KW-17s are going to be my choice, but I'm not planning to put them on until November 1st, and then take them off mid-March. Jeff you put yours on pretty early didn't you?

QuasarCav
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I chose the Blizzak LM22 Tire, I drive alot of highway so i dont want the spongy tire to wear too fast and I dont want to give up the cornering in the dry.

160+ CAD a tire though. Not for everybody.

GTS Jeff
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Jeff, I know last year you swore by the KW-19s, not it seems you are not so sure.

I'm in the process of getting a set from CMS, but am trying to decided between the KW-19s and KW-17s.

CMSbob basically said that the KW-19s are the go-to ice tire, and they wont wear out as quickly as the Blizzaks or those top grade ice tires. However for more performance when the roads are dry he recommended the KW-17s which are a little less aggresive than the KW-19s and will perform a little better all around.

I'm thinking the KW-17s are going to be my choice, but I'm not planning to put them on until November 1st, and then take them off mid-March. Jeff you put yours on pretty early didn't you? I think Rob's post was spot on regarding which to go for. I still think the KW19 makes more sense for most people without STIs, but it was a huge shock for me to experience any floatiness on my car when I first mounted the KW19s. I'm used to it now.

hockeybronx
10-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I think Rob's post was spot on regarding which to go for. I still think the KW19 makes more sense for most people without STIs, but it was a huge shock for me to experience any floatiness on my car when I first mounted the KW19s. I'm used to it now.

Well after doing a bit of research I think I'll go for the KW 17s. This is mainly because I'll be doing a fair bit of driving at 110km/h this winter, and it sounds like the harder compound of the KW 17s will give me a little more life than would the KW 19s.

vincent-h
10-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Here's my two cents on the two tires. i wrote some of it but then the screen auto refresh befor ei finished and i lost everything haha so i'll type out the basic info and a short summary instead of my full essay from before haha.

KW17's vs KW19's

KW19's- deeper tread design, t rated tire, softer compound, studdable

KW17's- asymmetrical design, h rated tire, cannot be studded, stiffer sidewall

Now the summary's

the KW 19's have a deeper tread and softer compound than the 17's having a deeper tread will generally make it last a bit longer if you were to drive on snow all day everyday. but if you also hit pavement or dry conditions then the soft compound will wear away very quickly. Also note that the tires are studdable for those that may be driving on lots slick ice or hard packed snow. Dues to the soft compound the tires will feel very squishy and is not for everyone. the squishyness takes away some of your speed and heavy cornering speeds for more grip. I would recommend these tires for those driving in heavy snow and ice also all the time with little or no dry conditions and no highways driving. the T rated tires are a slower rating than the H so it's nto as highly recommended for highway driving. the soft compound will also cause the tread to wear mroe quickly.

the KW 17's on the other hand have a slimmer tread slightly stiffer compound, a asymetrical design to improve the sidewall and a central pattern area. What this means is due to the slimmer treat it won't last as long if driving on snow all teh the time as the 19's. but if you drive highway and onto pavement and dry conditions it will last longer. the stiffer design will help to still let you rip around the corners without losing much speed. Also the central pattern and the H rating will be more preferable for those with lots of highway/city driving. I recommend these for those that would be doing lots of highway/city driving and would still like to driven agressively at times and feel the speed.

Anyways of course all these are my opinions only and i am neither a tire expert or a tire retailer of any sort. i'm just a driving lover and i especially love to drive in the winter so i do my research on the tires the go on my cars. all this is based on my own opinions and information gathering and may not be entirely accurate so choose your own path :)

anyways onto the topic i will be putting the KW17's on my car as i do lots of highway driving and i'm driving a 25rs with AWD so i don't need the extra traction that KW19's will provide. only improvement the KW19's will provide over the 17's for my car would be the extra stopping power.

and if i could order any tire i'd like to get Nokians hakkapelita 4's, which of course are almost impossible to get in north america haha

GSR Zero
10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Acura Integra GS-R
Nokian Hakka Q's

Amazing lateral grip
Same set has lasted 5 years
Not bad on dry pavement but could be better

hockeybronx
11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Just bought my winter tires and rims today.

Things didn't workout with CMS, and after a few astronomical quotes from a few places, I ended up going with the Nordic Ice Tracs from Canadian Tire.

I was a little skeptical buying tires from Canadian Tire, but after reading many reviews on the internet apparently good things have been said about these Ice Tracs.

I'm only going to have them on from Remembrance Day weekend till probably end of March each year.

Total price was $670.00 I believe for size 195/65/R15 with steelies. We'll see how they treat me.

dj_honda
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
i have the nordic ice traks. i've never used them before, we'll see how it goes. i bought a used set off some guy that had them on his vw. he said they were good, but he barely drove on them. i got them for steal so i couldn't say no. i was planning on going with kw19s before though.

tirebob
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Just bought my winter tires and rims today.

Things didn't workout with CMS, and after a few astronomical quotes from a few places, I ended up going with the Nordic Ice Tracs from Canadian Tire.

I was a little skeptical buying tires from Canadian Tire, but after reading many reviews on the internet apparently good things have been said about these Ice Tracs.

I'm only going to have them on from Remembrance Day weekend till probably end of March each year.

Total price was $670.00 I believe for size 195/65/R15 with steelies. We'll see how they treat me. Yeah man, I am sorry about that. I was severely let down by my suppliers on dub wheels this year... :(

neely
11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
got my kw-19's, ready for some snow. i kinda like the mild weather so far though. will report back when the white stuff flies.

hockeybronx
11-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob
Yeah man, I am sorry about that. I was severely let down by my suppliers on dub wheels this year... :(

No worries at all, I know that you tried hard on those. The only crappy thing is that your prices were probably going to be lower than what I got but what can you do.

Maybe in about 3-4 years I'll come back and try again:thumbsup:

eb0i
11-07-2005, 01:53 AM
03 Accord Coupe.

This will be my first time buying winter tires and I'm thinking of buying Michelin X-Ice winter tires. What do you guys think? Would they be in the same league as the kw17's? Also who carries the kw17's in Calgary?

t-im
11-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
This will be my first time buying winter tires and I'm thinking of buying Michelin X-Ice winter tires. What do you guys think? Would they be in the same league as the KM17's? Also who carries the KM17's in Calgary?

I bought X-Ice's last year and were impressed with how they performed in snow and ice.

eb0i
11-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by t-im

I bought X-Ice's last year and were impressed with how they performed in snow and ice.

how did they perform just on dry pavement?

mo_money2supe
11-07-2005, 03:15 AM
'93 Civic Coupe
Nokian Hakkapeliittas (I bought them used for a very good price with approx. 80% tread left)

This is actually my first set of winter tires I have owned personally, but I've driven on numerous winter tires before since I used to work at a dealership. Although they've only been on my car for a week here in Saskatoon, I must say they're VERY impressive. Amazing grip on both icy AND dry pavements; haven't had any ground coverage of snow yet, so we'll have to see how well they do when that time comes. But so far, I would say these are by far the best winter tires I've driven on!

Now, my question to everyone is, because I'm only here in Saskatoon for University, I would like to come back during Christmas; would it be okay to drive on the Hakka's on the highway back to Calgary (~600km)? My only other option is my 17's with Yokohama Avid H4 which honestly I don't think are that great of tires even on dry pavement. Will the 2 highway trips back and forth wear down the Hakka's an awful lot? Or should I just brave it and put on my 17's? :dunno:

neely
11-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
'93 Civic Coupe
Nokian Hakkapeliittas (I bought them used for a very good price with approx. 80% tread left)

This is actually my first set of winter tires I have owned personally, but I've driven on numerous winter tires before since I used to work at a dealership. Although they've only been on my car for a week here in Saskatoon, I must say they're VERY impressive. Amazing grip on both icy AND dry pavements; haven't had any ground coverage of snow yet, so we'll have to see how well they do when that time comes. But so far, I would say these are by far the best winter tires I've driven on!

Now, my question to everyone is, because I'm only here in Saskatoon for University, I would like to come back during Christmas; would it be okay to drive on the Hakka's on the highway back to Calgary (~600km)? My only other option is my 17's with Yokohama Avid H4 which honestly I don't think are that great of tires even on dry pavement. Will the 2 highway trips back and forth wear down the Hakka's an awful lot? Or should I just brave it and put on my 17's? :dunno:

DO NOT PUT THOSE AVIDS ON IN THE WINTER. i had them on my old GTi and got caught with a skiff of snow on the road and nearly died. all round crappy tires- suicidal on the winter roads. a 2500km round trip wont burn out your winter tires- i've made plenty of passes back and forth from calgary to vancouver on hakka's back in the day and the tires were fine.

That being said, i sawa little snow with my new kw-19's and they were awesome. Must say best bang for the buck with winters so far.

SSX
11-07-2005, 09:28 AM
:hijack:

http://www.nokiantyres.com/wintertyres_en

If you want some of the best winter tires ever invented, with some of the best technology in the entire industry. ( not to mention probably the best friggin rubber compound for pretty much any situation, ice, mud, rain, summer )

They aren't the cheapest, but in my opinion fair alot better then Blizzak's and Kum - ho's! I've installed and used. ( but plenty of individual testimony, along with a track record of working in the tire industry will do that to you )

SSX

DR.Gonzo
11-07-2005, 11:04 AM
First, my tire recommendations,Nokian first, toyo second.
these companies hold the safest winter tire records.

And to the collective lumps of knuckle who ask " how does this winter tire grip dry pavement :drool: ? " What are you all that retarded that you cant realize it will grip the pavement better than it grips the shinny slippery ice? oh oh oh ! Can I run these winter tires in +40C weather? please? really. you people should maybe think about taking the bus :banghead:

FatboyTheHungry
11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
BMW 330ci

Continental Winter Contacts

hockeybronx
11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
03 Accord Coupe.

This will be my first time buying winter tires and I'm thinking of buying Michelin X-Ice winter tires. What do you guys think? Would they be in the same league as the kw17's? Also who carries the kw17's in Calgary?

In my opinion the X-Ice's are a bit overpriced, but that's to be expected with Michelin tires. Personally I think you can get just as good performance and reliability with many other tires.

I've heard a ton of good things about the KW17s, and from the sounds of it they are ideal for Calgary driving especially with Chinooks and dry roads. Contemporary Motor Sports, and MyTires are probably the best places to find these KW17s.

eb0i
11-07-2005, 12:52 PM

In my opinion the X-Ice's are a bit overpriced, but that's to be expected with Michelin tires. Personally I think you can get just as good performance and reliability with many other tires.

I've heard a ton of good things about the KW17s, and from the sounds of it they are ideal for Calgary driving especially with Chinooks and dry roads. Contemporary Motor Sports, and MyTires are probably the best places to find these KW17s.

thanks a lot :thumbsup:

gonefishing
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
2002 civic si , bought some Michelin Arctic Alpines that have one season use hopefully they are as good as people have told me.

GTS Jeff
11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Last night was the first time my "cum-hoez" touched hte white stuff and they worked very well. I have studded KW19s and they are very predictable and easy to handle.

Funny thing is, I also stole a pylon last night and found an empty parking lot to screw around in haha.

hockeybronx
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Last night was the first time my "cum-hoez" touched hte white stuff and they worked very well. I have studded KW19s and they are very predictable and easy to handle.

Funny thing is, I also stole a pylon last night and found an empty parking lot to screw around in haha.

One pylon?:confused:

Well at least there is one person not paranoid about his winter tires wearing down too fast.:dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-08-2005, 03:57 PM

One pylon?:confused:

Well at least there is one person not paranoid about his winter tires wearing down too fast.:dunno: Yeah, you spin around in circles around the pylon while being as close as you can to it. It's a good way to practice good throttle and steering control. It's also a quick way to get reaaaally dizzy.

I think they also mention something similar in ye' olde Drift Bible...

A2VR6
11-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Actually, for the price of the KW17s I believe you can get a set of Toyo Garit HTs for just a bit more (I believe the difference is something like only 20 dollars for a set). The Toyo's have the H Speed rating like the KW17s but I think it's a little bit better in snow than the Kumho's and plus they are pretty similar in dry performance from what i've heard.

mo_money2supe
11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I've never tried these KW17's / 19's that everyone's been raving about, but I can tell you I have tried the Toyo Garrit HT's and Michelin X-Ice's. The X-Ice's costs a little more than the Garrit's (only like $25 in total) but they perform relatively the same. But for the money, there are MANY other tires out there that costs less and definitely outperform the aforementioned 2. Of course, sometimes, you do get what you paid for; my Hakka's for example. Definitely recommend them to anyone! :thumbsup:

However, if everyone is gung-ho towards the KW17 / 19's, take their word for it. I have a good feeling they might even be a better bet than the X-Ice's and Garrit's, not saying those two are THAT bad. I just think that they're not worth what they offer in terms of all around performance.

Yeah, you spin around in circles around the pylon while being as close as you can to it. It's a good way to practice good throttle and steering control. It's also a quick way to get reaaaally dizzy.

I think they also mention something similar in ye' olde Drift Bible...

Boy, do I wish I had a rear-wheel drive car! On the other hand though, I'm too cheap to wanna wear out expensive winter tires. If only I still had my all-seasons, I was able to make use of my "drift button" (aka hand brake) around corners and/or pylons to give me that sensation. :D

Pee_Sack
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I need some helpful advice

snow hit the ground over this weekend here in Fort McMurray and I have realized that my protenzas are no good on my WRX in the snow, I was all over the street.

So I am going to be buying myself some winter tires very soon and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. For my car. The KW17 / 19's seem to be very popular but are they the best choice for AWD. I do a lot of driving around town, but I won't be doing a lot of higway driving this winter. Maybe 1 or 2 trips to Edmonton (thats a big MAYBE).

I also plan on doing some playing around in fresh fluffy snow
:rofl: so something that will keep me safe in that.

Also what is the main differences between tires like Dunlop M3 and Pirelli W240 compared to the KW17 and 19's?

Thank you all for your help! :D

hockeybronx
11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
I need some helpful advice

snow hit the ground over this weekend here in Fort McMurray and I have realized that my protenzas are no good on my WRX in the snow, I was all over the street.

So I am going to be buying myself some winter tires very soon and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. For my car. The KW17 / 19's seem to be very popular but are they the best choice for AWD. I do a lot of driving around town, but I won't be doing a lot of higway driving this winter. Maybe 1 or 2 trips to Edmonton (thats a big MAYBE).

I also plan on doing some playing around in fresh fluffy snow
:rofl: so something that will keep me safe in that.

Also what is the main differences between tires like Dunlop M3 and Pirelli W240 compared to the KW17 and 19's?

Thank you all for your help! :D

I think the main reason the KW17s and KW19s are so popular on this site is because two of our sponsors get insane deals on them which causes mad references throughout the site.

Honestly sites like www.1010tires.com and www.tirerack.com have good review systems where people can comment and rate the various tires. To get more unbiased reviews I'd try there.

Pee_Sack
11-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok I get a few quotes today

Nokians RSI 94 R
Couldn't find out much about these tires
$974

Kumho KW17
Seem to be a good choice from some of the reviews I have read
$780

BFG Winter Slalom (studable)
Read some very good reviews on this tire, except for when you put the studs in it seems to pop the tire very fast. But I wouldnt be studding them anyways so its not a huge deal.
$712

I am going to try and get a price for the Dunlop M3 around town because I have heard really good things about it.

neely
11-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Nokians RSI 94 R
$974

Kumho KW17
$780

BFG Winter Slalom (studable)
Read some very good reviews on this tire, except for when you put the studs in it seems to pop the tire very fast. But I wouldnt be studding them anyways so its not a huge deal.
$712

I am going to try and get a price for the Dunlop M3 around town because I have heard really good things about it.

i had the winter slaloms and cant say i cared for them at all. i am running the kw19's now and think that they are excellent for the price (i paid $475 for the set of 4). if money isnt an issue go with the nokians.

hockeybronx
11-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Kumho KW17
$780

Where did you get this quote from?

I guess it all depends on your tire size, but I'm sure one of our sponsors could beat that price. Have you phoned CMSBob, and Anand at MyTires?

neely
11-15-2005, 09:53 PM

Where did you get this quote from?

I guess it all depends on your tire size, but I'm sure one of our sponsors could beat that price. Have you phoned CMSBob, and Anand at MyTires?

he's in Fort McMoney, do CMS or mytires ship?

hockeybronx
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by neely

he's in Fort McMoney, do CMS or mytires ship?

Oh my bad, I forgot to look at his location.

Mr_ET
11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
i have goodyear ultra grip ice

not so good on dry pavement but some of the best on ice

and calgary pretty much only has ice and very light snow in winter

civicrider
11-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Kumho Ecsta 225/45 all season rubber on 17's, will this be very good???????????

Orbie
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
All-seasons should be fine in the winter in Calgary, I'm thinking a huge chunk of drivers have all-seasons for winters anyways. Winter tires just provide that extra security and confidence on the roads, of course if you drive RWD or a high powered car I think winters would be a necessity.

I have Toyo Garit's, but if I had more money I may have gone with the Dunlop Wintersport M3's. Only heard good things about the Kumho's Kw's though so probaby can't go wrong there either.

hockeybronx
11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
All-seasons should be fine in the winter in Calgary, I'm thinking a huge chunk of drivers have all-seasons for winters anyways. Winter tires just provide that extra security and confidence on the roads, of course if you drive RWD or a high powered car I think winters would be a necessity.

I think the two main attractions of winter tires for people on this site are:

- people who have nice rims on low profile tires used as summer only tires

or

- people (like myself), who use only summer tires for summer, and would rather have winter tires on a set of winter rims, thus eliminating mounting fees every spring and fall, also we can change them over by ourselves in our garages, and lastly the look of winter tires with winter rims looks killa:thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
11-21-2005, 12:45 AM
95 camry
dunlop graspic ds-1

A2VR6
11-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Nokians RSI 94 R
$974

From what i've heard these are the best out there and well worth the price according to some.

hockeybronx
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

From what i've heard these are the best out there and well worth the price according to some.

I'd have to disagree, not from experience but just from research. Speding almost $1000 on tires without rims is crazy to me, especially in Calgary driving.

93hustler
11-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm running Bridgestone weatherforce on both my vehicles. Good traction in winter and about half the price of Blizzaks.

A2VR6
11-22-2005, 07:36 PM

I'd have to disagree, not from experience but just from research. Speding almost $1000 on tires without rims is crazy to me, especially in Calgary driving.

Well I agree with that... hence the reason why im running Toyos on one car and Kumhos on the other, but alot and I mean ALOT of people swear by Nokians and frankly, I havent heard many bad things about them except for the price.

Lex350
11-24-2005, 04:45 PM
RX8
Blizzak LM 22'ssecond winter on them

I got these ones over the Lm25's because the LM22's are supposed to wear better. They were designed for climates in Europe where you quite often have dry roads in between snow falls....like Calgary. Besause in Calgary you need to leave the winter ties on for so long into the spring I thought this was a good choice. You give up a bit of traction over the softer Blizzaks but I'll take a bit extra wear over that.

HRD2PLZ
11-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Here's what we are running this year:

VW Passat 4Motion - Michelin X-Ice
Toyota Celica GT-S - Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1
Acura TL - Kumho KW19 (got a SMOKIN' deal from CMS)

A little bit of everything :)

GTS Jeff
11-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Update on the KW19s w/ studs.

AMAZING! These tires allow me to drive much faster in the snow than everyone else! I can be that much more of a jackass on the roads!

eb0i
11-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I have the kw19's on now and they are amazing as well! Jeff how do you get them with studs? How much extra?

legendboy
11-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Canadian tire icetracks. Cheap and work wicked. Used them the last 3 years

Ben
11-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Update on the KW19s w/ studs.

AMAZING! These tires allow me to drive much faster in the snow than everyone else! I can be that much more of a jackass on the roads!

Lets line up.

My Audi w/ ZR summers, versus your studded winters.

Should be about 3 carlengths after 1st gear :P

403Gemini
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Kumho KW17's, 2 thumbs up y0!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Aleks
11-30-2005, 01:04 PM
KW19s 2nd season this time on a beater. Very good in snow/slush but not that great on sheer ice as i found out earlier :rofl:

Ven
11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Wal-Mart tires FTW! They're pretty good actually, and so cheap. I've used new Michelin, Bridgestone, and Kumho winters in the past, and I say these Wal-Mart tires can hang with them. Actually I find them much better in deeper snow than all the others. Big lugs and lots of sipes. Did I mention they're cheap? :)

GTS Jeff
12-01-2005, 03:20 AM
I have the kw19's on now and they are amazing as well! Jeff how do you get them with studs? How much extra?

You have to get them studded when they're new. Any tire shop can do it.

Originally posted by Ben

Lets line up.

My Audi w/ ZR summers, versus your studded winters.

Should be about 3 carlengths after 1st gear :P You're on!

Oh wait, I wonder if that counts as street racing...:D

Weapon_R
12-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Any opinion on Bridgestone Blizzacks?

Inthered
12-03-2005, 09:57 PM

You have to get them studded when they're new. Any tire shop can do it.

You're on!

Oh wait, I wonder if that counts as street racing...:D

Don't try Jeff! I already raced Ben with my KW19's studded tires on my LSD equipped corolla and lost. He was running shit RE92's too.:cry: I told you the KW19's were awesome! Acceleration is not bad, but the cornering and braking is insane. How's the noise compared to your exhaust on dry pavement? :rofl:

GTS Jeff
12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Inthered

Don't try Jeff! I already raced Ben with my KW19's studded tires on my LSD equipped corolla and lost. He was running shit RE92's too.:cry: I told you the KW19's were awesome! Acceleration is not bad, but the cornering and braking is insane. How's the noise compared to your exhaust on dry pavement? :rofl: haha damn. The studs are kinda noisy, but that's ok. I can drive like such a dink with these tires on.

Euro_Trash
12-04-2005, 01:48 PM
2 winters ago I had some Blizzacks on my 1994 VW Golf. Those tires were freakin awesome!!!!! I would reccomend those to anyone

A2VR6
12-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Update on the Toyo Garit HT's. They still give me a bit of wheelspin even if I go easy on the throttle on ice. I dont get stuck tho. However, braking and conering is great! Lots of grip when braking and conering, car stops really well.

Gondi Stylez
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
i never ended up gettin the dunlops cuz they were sold out, so now i have waited too long and need to get them on by friday! im leaning towards the Michelin x-ice but that is becuase they seem to be the best tire for snow and highway driving (medium amount from edmonton to calgary) between walmart, costco and canadian tire. i am only going to one of those places cuz i dont know any other place in edmonton! feedback please...:D

mo_money2supe
12-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
i never ended up gettin the dunlops cuz they were sold out, so now i have waited too long and need to get them on by friday! im leaning towards the Michelin x-ice but that is becuase they seem to be the best tire for snow and highway driving (medium amount from edmonton to calgary) between walmart, costco and canadian tire. i am only going to one of those places cuz i dont know any other place in edmonton! feedback please...:D

As I had mentioned before, for the price you pay for the X-Ice's (because they're Michelins), the Toyo Garrit's are just as good, if not better for a lesser price.

blitz
12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

For the love of god, don't go to Canadian tire.

They ordered the wrong size for my truck (27x8.5R14 instead of 31x10.5R15), then wouldn't install the right size because they said that their spec sheet said a 31x10.5R15 tire was 31" wide!

Morons...

scofa
12-13-2005, 08:48 AM
out of the top 5 cars in kananaskis rally this past november 1(golf), 3(golf), 4(AE86), 5(Rabbit) All had KW19's . I have em and i love it. i used to have Semprit ice grips. but these are much better. I also have had the legendary Hakka 1's (discontinuted now) which i would campare the performence of thses kuhmos to.

hockeybronx
12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by blitz

For the love of god, don't go to Canadian tire.

They ordered the wrong size for my truck (27x8.5R14 instead of 31x10.5R15), then wouldn't install the right size because they said that their spec sheet said a 31x10.5R15 tire was 31" wide!

Morons...

Hmm... I have nothing but good things to say about my tires/rims I bought from Canadian Tire this year.

cujo_cjc
12-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I have Kumho KW17's on my Teg
I think they are great winter tires. Although we havent had a big snowfall yet I remember last year there were a couple. And I live at the sheer bottom of a hill and was able to go up without any problems at all :clap: