PDA

View Full Version : *NOTICE* Race City Now Finished

Pages : [1] 2

Toms-SC
10-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Racecity is now done and closed to racers. The facility is now rental ONLY. No more Secret Street's etc etc. Theres suppose to be an article in todays Calgary Sun concerning this. A notice is also on their website:

"SPECIAL NOTICE:

To anyone that has vehicle(s) or any other property stored at Race City:

Please remove all vehicles, etc. in storage at Race City before October 31. Any vehicles, etc. that are left on Race City property after October 31 will be removed by Race City in whatever manner deemed appropriate.

For further information contact Art MacKenzie at 272-7223 ext. 101 or via email at [email protected].

Thank you for your cooperation."

No buyers or investers came forward. The land around Race City has been expropriated. Its only a matter of time before the land is bought and warehouses are built.

:(

With that being said street racing has gone up 1000%

Edit 1: Can I get a sticky please; this effects everybody!
Edit 2:"
!! Important info !!!

I just spoke with a Race City representative, who told me Race City's own Art has yet to Decide whether or not he is selling Race city, there are no talks on grounding the place, just trading hands. He is letting it go for 1.2-1.5 mill (not a bad price if you ask me) - Currently the CDRA is trying to raise the cash to buy the place, if you want to donate or help out call the CDRA and ask for Al Bailey.

- Rasmus"

Thanks Raz
Edit 3: "
"Rasmus,

We expect to operate our Secret Street program all next season starting in late April.
The competitive programs are no longer going to be run by us as we change our business model.
Secret Street is more of a social event and we want to continue to run it in part because we think that it makes the City a safer place with less need to kill yourself street racing.

--
Art MacKenzie
(403) 272-7223 ext. 101
e-mail [email protected]
President
Race City Inc.
Operator of
CANADA'S FINEST MOTORSPORT FACILITY "
"
Thank you very much Raz!

Edit 3
Race City president Art McKenzie said Thursday he has no intention of running racing next season and adds he will not rent the track for race events of any kind.
" I want to make my life easier and that means shutting down," said McKenzie.
Road course racers thought they would be able to continue to run by renting the track as they did this season. McKenzie says it's not going to happen. The only thing that will run will be Secret Street.
" I think I will keep that program going, with modifications," said McKenzie. " That will include a later start, probably May. I think we'll leave the drag strip alone and let the weather wear off the VHT. That will make the track more like a city street in terms of grip."

Source: Calgary Sun

dooman24
10-08-2005, 08:30 PM
you know what's that gona mean... increase in street racing..
that was one way of keep races off the roads...

big_k
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
That sucks! I always wanted to go to secret street. I was gonna start goin next year since i JUST got a car that I can go and have fun in.

PorknBeans
10-08-2005, 09:19 PM
:thumbsdow Good thing I had a final run a few weeks ago

Hash_man
10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Thats not cool... Hopefully we will have something next year... even just a drag strip by itself...

Without anything I agree, street racing will go up by a lot.

lastprodigy
10-08-2005, 09:22 PM
so its private "rent the whole thing" type deal now?

infected
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
That's bullshit, I say we start a Beyond fund and buy the land :poosie:

Speed_Dreams
10-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by infected
That's bullshit, I say we start a Beyond fund and buy the land :poosie:

i was gonna suggest that!

I mean beyond has like 15,000 members and how much could Race city cost to buy?

hell we could even get government grants and try to get those NOPI tuner vision events here.

Nissanaddict
10-08-2005, 09:44 PM
It's a thought.

ecstasy_civic
10-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Im wondering how much land you would actually need to make a strip, parking lot and a tower.

I was thinking about talking to my dad about this as an investment.

Thaco
10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Racecity Cant sell something the dont own

They do not own the land, they have it leased from the city, they got some crazy like 50 year lease when they originally signed it... there is still like 20-25 years left.

AllGoNoShow
10-08-2005, 10:11 PM
No he can't sell it but he can shut it down and render it useless if he feels like it, he signed the damn thing, now hes got 50 years to do whatever the fuck he wants with it, including wasting it if he feels like it.

Pretty retarded if you ask me, street racing is going to go way up and now there will be no other place locally to race so shits going to hit the fan.

88CRX
10-08-2005, 10:15 PM
This is BAD BAD BAD news for the whole sport compact scene in Calgary. Hell its bad for the whole car scene :thumbsdow

AllGoNoShow
10-08-2005, 10:24 PM
One solution would be for a speed shop/dyno shop or a gorup of them, to get together and start up a strip just outside the city or get some land and do it that way.

Why the speedshops? Well they could give away free admission to the consumers at the store, which would then bring the cars to the races aswell as the people, and spectators who don't race can support the strip by paying their entry fee and buying food etc.., wereas the racers basically get in for free, which would bring the spectators.

littledan
10-08-2005, 10:33 PM
what the hell no more road course in AB???>??

Thaco
10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
No he can't sell it but he can shut it down and render it useless if he feels like it, he signed the damn thing, now hes got 50 years to do whatever the fuck he wants with it, including wasting it if he feels like it.

Pretty retarded if you ask me, street racing is going to go way up and now there will be no other place locally to race so shits going to hit the fan. actually he did not sign it, the previous owner did

Gurpy
10-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Wow that really sucks.....I was looking forward to checking it out some more next summer too, went once this year to chill....so much fun.

403Gemini
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
worst move ever, as everybody else, i am most displeased

DannyO
10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Wasn't there talk about the new guy making racecity better?, or did he change his mind, I was planning to go next year, without that place, WTF are we supposed to do now, street racing will shoot up which is just bad for everything, also with F&F3 coming out next summer to show how cool drifting is to the young crowd, well where do they think there gonna do it now.

Somethings gotta happen, Calgary really can't go without a racetrack.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Fuck this sucks, gtg to Edmonton or Medecine Hat to race...

Chester
10-08-2005, 11:21 PM
gaaaaay. I remember one of my co-workers telling me about this in June and I didn't believe him.

Mazstyle
10-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I've been hearing the rumours for months, I can't blame them for shutting down probably half of all scheduled events there end up getting cancelled due to rain thanks to the schizto weather here.

Toms-SC
10-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Wasn't there talk about the new guy making racecity better?, or did he change his mind, I was planning to go next year, without that place, WTF are we supposed to do now, street racing will shoot up which is just bad for everything, also with F&F3 coming out next summer to show how cool drifting is to the young crowd, well where do they think there gonna do it now.

Somethings gotta happen, Calgary really can't go without a racetrack.

Danny, he had an idea like you and I but lacked the one thing you and I don't have; money. He was looking for investers for the amount of 2 Mill to begin with. Nobody came forward.

Toms-SC
10-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Calgary really can't go without a racetrack.

Something bad is going to happen next spring/summer when people take their projects out for the first time. Some people are going to get killed and the car community will rally for a new legal place to do it. With a city of 1 million I can't understand why we don't have a proper track yet Medhat does.

Toms-SC
10-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Im wondering how much land you would actually need to make a strip, parking lot and a tower.

I was thinking about talking to my dad about this as an investment.

Try explaining to the insurance company that you would like insurence for a race track and see what they say. :nut: I bet its over a mill for insurance.

DannyO
10-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Try explaining to the insurance company that you would like insurence for a race track and see what they say. :nut: I bet its over a mill for insurance.

I would think with a racetrack there is no insurance, like if you take your car there you ain't covered as its very likely you could damage your car, its just that kind of place, and the track would be the same, you'd expect accidents alot, so there wouldn't be any insurance, I think it would make sense, your at a track, you know you can damage your car doing something you don't have to do (race) so therefor you take all the responsibility and take a chance racing.

I could be way off tho.

Raz
10-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Fuck man, this is one of the most car crazy cities i've ever lived in, and they are closing race city? motherfuckers...

Well, guess I'll have to open up a strip then :D

Oh, and there'll be a waiver you have to sign, there will be absolutely NO insurance ;)

Who's with me? We'll charge similar rates, digitize everything, what do you guys think?

:rofl:

- Rasmus

Toms-SC
10-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Beyond used to rent Race City for lapping days awhile back. It was limited to 20 people because of insurance reasons. Although they wont cover your car they need to cover their asses incase of a law suit. Rage/Kenny should be able to comment more on this.

DannyO
10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
^I'm down :D, they say they need 2 mill, well we have 15000 members, so charge everyone a 135 dollar membership fee and we can buy it with enough money left over to buy a bunch of beer to have a wicked opening party. :D

I can dream.

If I ever win the lottery with a good amount, Calgary will have a wicked race course.

DannyO
10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Beyond used to rent Race City for lapping days awhile back. It was limited to 20 people because of insurance reasons. Although they wont cover your car they need to cover their asses incase of a law suit. Rage/Kenny should be able to comment more on this.

Really, what kind of insurance, surely if say you broke your arm or leg or something racing, it would be your own fault and not the racetracks fault?

88CRX
10-09-2005, 12:07 AM

Something bad is going to happen next spring/summer when people take their projects out for the first time. Some people are going to get killed and the car community will rally for a new legal place to do it. With a city of 1 million I can't understand why we don't have a proper track yet Medhat does.

:werd: x 10

schurchill39
10-09-2005, 12:29 AM

I wouldnt go as far as to say we have a proper track like you guys do/have. We have 1 drag strip and one small oval. Usually its all ther older muscle cars that are out there too because the scene here isnt every big. But yea. you would think with thepop calgary does that would would keep race city

Mr. Burns
10-09-2005, 12:45 AM
I think the insurance has more to do with specatators getting hurt than drivers

Redlyne_mr2
10-09-2005, 01:00 AM
wow this just ruined my day. On the plus side that still doesnt mean we cant have Beyond track days and solo 2 events.

962 kid
10-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
wow this just ruined my day. On the plus side that still doesnt mean we cant have Beyond track days and solo 2 events.

:werd: hardly a plus side though

Aleks
10-09-2005, 01:44 AM
Yes this is embarassing for the City of Calgary. NO one wants to step up and invest. A city of 1 mil needs this sort of a facility. I say sell it to a corporation and have them run it. Look at bud park. Everyone that goes there is thoroughly impressed. But I don't understand why everyone is saying street racing will increase. I love going to SS and doing the 1/4 mile but If I can't do that there is no way in hell I'll go and do organized street racing somewhere. It's just not the same without the little slip with numbers :cry:

TheBenzo
10-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Wow.

Congratulations Art Mackenzie on being a completely useless shit-hook. Art, you horrendous marketing.. or lack thereof combined with incompetent staffing and management has led to this.

You have an oval, drag strip and a road course.. every other facility like this is lavishing in profit, whereas your facility is run-down rat-feed. With that large of a facility, it would have taken minimal amount of effort to market the events a bit better and get the word out, this wouldn't be going on. Your laziness has ended you.

You are a true failure in terms of business and likely many other things.

I hope you were not surprised that it came to this.

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Very true, maybe I'll make it out to one next year if one gets organized

DannyO
10-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Yes this is embarassing for the City of Calgary. NO one wants to step up and invest. A city of 1 mil needs this sort of a facility. I say sell it to a corporation and have them run it. Look at bud park. Everyone that goes there is thoroughly impressed. But I don't understand why everyone is saying street racing will increase. I love going to SS and doing the 1/4 mile but If I can't do that there is no way in hell I'll go and do organized street racing somewhere. It's just not the same without the little slip with numbers :cry:

You might not go out and do the racing illegaly, but unfortunately not everyone who goes there is like that, you will have alot fo the younger people going and racing at the Bullshit corner thing.

I really hope they somehow get it back up and running, I REALLY want to do autox next year.

Aleks
10-09-2005, 02:43 AM
^ True I guess. It's just that I can't see these guys risking their nice rides and their lives on a street somewhere like that. I'd be pretty scared hitting 200km/h in my bucket on a dark street somewhere :dunno:

Moonracer
10-09-2005, 02:49 AM
:( :( :( This really blows! I really hope something good happens between now and the spring.

Tha VZA
10-09-2005, 02:49 AM
this is just so not cool

i agree i think street racing will increase...people need a place to go...they should just have city block off 50th from the roadking to 52nd and just have no traffic going on it...just racing, like fridays and satrudays at night...no one else uses it anyway....just the street racers that participate now

so much BS that calgary won't have a racetrack...can't believe it

:eek:

ciao

DannyO
10-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
^ True I guess. It's just that I can't see these guys risking their nice rides and their lives on a street somewhere like that. I'd be pretty scared hitting 200km/h in my bucket on a dark street somewhere :dunno:

Afew years ago when I heard about these races I thought I'd go check them out, and yes you do have people racing down dark streets in the middle of the industrial areas going upto some damn fast speeds unfortunately, and there are alot of nice rides, I used to like going to the Tim Hortons and seeing some of the rides some people have, this was afew years ago, and afew weeks ago I drove by there with a friend, and the meets are still there with as many people as ever.

Gotta say I am suprised you don't hear of more car deaths on the weekends from these races, I have seen some CLOSE calls, but with the drift thing getting ever more popular and F&F3 coming out next year, I'd hate to see what might end up happening at next years street races.

Tha VZA
10-09-2005, 03:14 AM
i won't lie i frequent these "races" almost on a weekly basis, but not to go see races...just to hang out with friends and talk about cars/see some nice rides, have a hot choclate and some soup...you know...just hang out somewhere just like the beyond.ca meets, the a&w muscle car meets, and that burger place on 17ave (can't remember the name cause its late)

anyway i was there tonight and about 15 police vehicles and the checkstop bus were cracking down on racing and telling people that if they are caught in the industrial area again they wont be driving home...watching a street race is just as bad as participating...basically was the whole message they were trying to convey, pulling over everyone, no matter what they drove of if they were driving legally and carefully

they said they are setting up a database of names and if you are found up there...not just racing, just being up there, they will tow your car and send you to the judge

which is basically bullshit becasue its not illegal for me to drive to a private establishment, meet up with some friends, have a snack and hang out for a bit, the various timmy's around there don't complain of anyone loitering because they make more sales in one night then they do all week (probably not but you get what i am saying here)

the police can try to stop street racing all they want, there are guys out there almost old enough to be my grandmpa...and have been going out there since they were kids...it won't ever stop

with this closure of race city, the problem will only worsen, and yes i think drifting will too become a problem...i mean...i loved ripping sh*t up at race city on the auto-x course the one time i did it...if there's no place for people to practice it safely, they will just do it unsafely, wherever they can, Calgary and the surrounding area is HUGE, so many roads and parking lots open at night to use

the police chief should think about what he is going to do about this, it will become as big a problem as gang violence, no one murdering each other, not that extreme, but a death may occur. you never know...

sorry for the rant...just needed to say it

thanks for reading

ciao

TurboMedic
10-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Art has a huge inheritance he received, doesn't need the money, doesn't need the hassle.....you should see some of the cars he has parked out there, in little hidden places........some rare, valuable stuff!

/////AMG
10-09-2005, 03:52 AM
Uh oh, bad move! Not good for Calgary.:thumbsdow

infected
10-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I don't see why street racing will rise on the streets of Calgary just because of an abandoned race park. I personally wouldn't have the balls to pedal to the metal down a street with traffic and pedestrians, if you can't race legally then just suck it up and don't race it all, it's not like it's gonna kill you (or it might). The streets have been pretty clean compared to past years and I think most people will think before street racing. Sure we'll still have the occasional guy speeding and weaving through traffic, but that's not considered street racing, the cops will peg their ass sooner or later. There should be nothing to be worried about. :)

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by infected
I don't see why street racing will rise on the streets of Calgary just because of an abandoned race park. I personally wouldn't have the balls to pedal to the metal down a street with traffic and pedestrians, if you can't race legally then just suck it up and don't race it all, it's not like it's gonna kill you (or it might). The streets have been pretty clean compared to past years and I think most people will think before street racing. Sure we'll still have the occasional guy speeding and weaving through traffic, but that's not considered street racing, the cops will peg their ass sooner or later. There should be nothing to be worried about. :)

Obveously you haven't been to the illegals in a while or ever because thats exactly what most people do. And its not just the kids and young ones who do it either, as the volve guy said, there are grandpa's out there with their hot muscle cars and they have been doing it since they were young aswell.

The cops try everything it seems like to make people not show up again or whatever, but the day that comes when they take the wrong guys car away and have a lawsuit on their hands because he was driving through the area of street racing, will be the day that they aren't allowed to take away whoever's car they feel like it.

Toms-SC
10-09-2005, 11:02 AM
They are just bluffing. Buy a Tim Hortons coffee and hang out and they can't do shit

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Thats I do, go in and clean out the Nanimo bars section and grab some hot coco, I'm good to go :P

talonboi
10-09-2005, 12:46 PM
i went to timmy's on a friday night a few months ago, rite after racecity was closed for the night, there were 6 of us, we all bought coffee and went outside to have a smoke, then we see this cop car pull in, park far away...so we're like whatever... then we see both cops get out, pop their trunk, pull out some case and pull out sume "equipment" we all looked at eachother, thought for a sec. then looked at our mufflers...then we just droped what we were doing and took off... we didnt know if that machine was to check DBz on the exhaust, or sume emission test, but we didnt want to find out..

too bad racecity is closed...everytime i tried to race, my stupid talon kept breaking down :banghead:

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 01:50 PM
haha same with me talon, everytime i go, I'd spin belts or something :)

The equipment ur speaking of might have been food, or just something to listen in on but thats a littl far fetched. For 6 cars they could care less from what I've seen, its the groups of liek 30-40 cars that take off to goto 61st that they like to take down :)

Z_Fan
10-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Good thing I don't mind driving to Edmonton. :D

Tha VZA
10-09-2005, 03:17 PM
They are just bluffing. Buy a Tim Hortons coffee and hang out and they can't do shit

yes i know this...they can't stop me from going there...also about the lawsuit...it'll happen sooner or later i just know it...or at least a harassment case or 40 will come up to the city as well

some people race...some people watch races...most people just hang out...

anyway for the guy who said he wouldnt race on a street with traffic and people...well for one thing its done in the industrial area becasue there is little to no traffic around

second there are people there, but no like fast and furious style lined up the whole length of the strip, they just stay at the start line...safer that way i think...not to condone street racing but, it goes on and they are "safe" about it speaking relitavly (spell check?)

ciao

Raz
10-09-2005, 03:22 PM
http://seanmoran.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=955&sid=ebcc799ace3574682a612bb6b6c27d38

old but interesting

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 03:28 PM
SWEET

Someone better bought it, I hope. If so then god damn I'm happy and I will have to buy another car worth taking down a nicer strip!!!

Thats good news if it turns out to be true, I guess only time will tell if all the improvemets will actualy happen.

Raz
10-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I'd be down for investing 100 dollars+ in a new Race City if it meant we'd have a place to go for racing... that or i'd resort to driving like a maniac down by the timmy's like everyone else :thumbsdow

AllGoNoShow
10-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Maybe my dad will get in on the investment, that kinda cash isn't much for him and it would keep his kid out of jail and off the streets doing stupid shit. *Ponders*

TurboMedic
10-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA

yes i know this...they can't stop me from going there...also about the lawsuit...it'll happen sooner or later i just know it...or at least a harassment case or 40 will come up to the city as well

some people race...some people watch races...most people just hang out...

Here's the thing though, they are cracking down on ALL aspects of it, because even spectating, you are indirectly involved in committing crime. As an accessory of course.....If there was no street racing, nobody would watch, and if there was no spectators, nobody would be interested in actually racing anymore, its a symbiotic relationship......they both have to stop...period...I don't give a shit how safe you THINK it is, its not...

l8braker
10-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
This is BAD BAD BAD news for the whole sport compact scene in Calgary. Hell its bad for the whole car scene :thumbsdow

sad in our city of almost 1 million, eh?

Raz
10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

Here's the thing though, they are cracking down on ALL aspects of it, because even spectating, you are indirectly involved in committing crime. As an accessory of course.....If there was no street racing, nobody would watch, and if there was no spectators, nobody would be interested in actually racing anymore, its a symbiotic relationship......they both have to stop...period...I don't give a shit how safe you THINK it is, its not...

and I don't give a shit how you THINK the law is stated, there is NO law against watching street racing, which isn't primarily what goes on, mostly people talking cars, is that illegal too?

- Rasmus (who wishes Race City didn't suck)

Raz
10-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

sad in our city of almost 1 million, eh?

I thought we were past a million already, hell, the city is big enough to be past a million ... this place is fucking huge.

- Rasmus

Mr_ET
10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
ok just looked at the site. They do show that notice about removing cars but since the facility closes for winter and it's coming pretty soon that's only normal.

Nowhere does it state that the facility is closing.

I called and they do not say anything on the voicemail and secret street is anouncing that last night of the 2005 season as oct 7th.

They don't say this is the last season anywhere.

I bought the sun today and saw nothing about racecity.

Can anyone provide proof??

As far as i'm concerned it is not closing at all and these are just more rumors but if you can provide concrete info pls point me in that direction thx!

Toms-SC
10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
SWEET

Someone better bought it, I hope. If so then god damn I'm happy and I will have to buy another car worth taking down a nicer strip!!!

Thats good news if it turns out to be true, I guess only time will tell if all the improvemets will actualy happen.

That article you just read is old.

Tha VZA
10-09-2005, 08:26 PM

yeah no i dont say it is safe at all....race city isnt safe either, you could spin out and crash anytime, it is SAFER at race city than on the street, and racing in the industrial area is SAFER than doing it where public traffic is....get it?

and its not a symbiotic relationship...your basically saying the police should "crack" down on the beyond/403 honda meets at chinook then becasue if someone acts like and idiot there, which does happen, then everyone must be doing the same thing...so we should pull all of them over too for meeting at a parking lot and talking about cars

here's an extreme bad example, but sorta follows what i am meaning to get across

if i am in line at a bank and it gets robbed am i at fault becasue i was there? no

if people race on 50th ave, and i am at 72ave parked talking with a friend, am i at fault? no

ciao

Thaco
10-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Raz
http://seanmoran.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=955&sid=ebcc799ace3574682a612bb6b6c27d38

old but interesting

thats old news, the guy is not willing to put a penny in to it, he is looking for investors... sorry but if you have nothing to lose and dont beleive in yourself enough to invest your own cash, i doubt anyone else would be willing.

And there is no OFFICAL release stating that they will not reopen for the 07 season, we wont know until it happens.

Raz
10-10-2005, 12:39 AM
whoa whoa, what happened to 2006?

TurboMedic
10-10-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Raz

and I don't give a shit how you THINK the law is stated, there is NO law against watching street racing, which isn't primarily what goes on, mostly people talking cars, is that illegal too?

I have yet to see a good worthwhile post come from you, so I'll brush this one under a rug too.....oh, there's no crime involved in watching a rape? or a murder? or fraud? you're there, you're supporting the scene, and therefore you are involved in event....street racing as an entire "event" is illegal, thats a fact, and as a spectator you are participating....end of story....

Originally posted by Tha VZAyeah no i dont say it is safe at all....race city isnt safe either, you could spin out and crash anytime, it is SAFER at race city than on the street, and racing in the industrial area is SAFER than doing it where public traffic is....get it? here's an extreme bad example, but sorta follows what i am meaning to get across

if i am in line at a bank and it gets robbed am i at fault becasue i was there? no

if people race on 50th ave, and i am at 72ave parked talking with a friend, am i at fault? no

Nobody cares if you crash your own car and hurt yourself.....the track is private, therefore you do damage to private facilities.....when you're out in public you have a responsibility as a living human to act responsibly in public! Street racing is putting not only human life at danger, but other peoples and the general publics belongings in danger.

Now, your bank example would relate to this only if it went as follows:

Your buddy says "I'm gonna rob a bank, wanna come watch?"
You say sure, and tag along, and watch him rob a bank...that makes you an accessory, at the least criminal for failing to report a crime....

What you want to hear is, "I'm driving along through this industrial area, and all of a sudden there is street racers and this damn pig came up and towed my car....thats not cool, I had nothing to do with this...."

You guys have no sense of common reasoning.

milesmcewing
10-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Everybody seems to be on a 'I hate Art Mackenzie' path here.

When Art bought the track from Ben Doctor, it was in much worse shape and about to close then, Art has been a great enthusiast and supporter of the crowd for many years.

Haven't seen him out driving much in the last few years, which is too bad.

He has probably invested 200k a year of his own money keeping it open, and provided the community with the facility.

Seems pretty thankless to me so far, what have you all done to keep it open? It takes 300k a year to operate!

The secret streets entry fee sure isn't making any money for him to retire on. What it takes is an active community and good support for the facility, even with the crap weather this year, there still isn't enough rentals to justify the door opening.

Track rental here is ludicrously cheap, in the US it is 3-4 times as much and Ontario is 2.5 times as much. Yet we still bitch it is too much.

For those who comment on the marketing, the race seies and promoters are the people who need to market, Art is not responsible for that, racing is in a pathetic state here.

Formula car races get two cars to a field,yet there are 25-30 sitting in garages in Calgary (mine included, why haven't I been out this year with it?).

While I agree that the facility needs a lot of work, there just has never been enough support to justify it, a double-edged sword.

As for the comments on his inheritance and that, you guys are way off the mark, and the situation certainly doesn't justify those type of comments.

We have spent many hours building a group to generate a new facility, when the call goes out for the money, everybody seems to be a lot quieter than before. It would take ~2.5 million to build a new facility, not including operating or insurance.

Write me a cheque and we will have it built.

Just my two cents ranting and raving.

Cheers,
Miles

Idratherbsidewayz
10-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
Everybody seems to be on a 'I hate Art Mackenzie' path here.

When Art bought the track from Ben Doctor, it was in much worse shape and about to close then, Art has been a great enthusiast and supporter of the crowd for many years.

Haven't seen him out driving much in the last few years, which is too bad.

He has probably invested 200k a year of his own money keeping it open, and provided the community with the facility.

Seems pretty thankless to me so far, what have you all done to keep it open? It takes 300k a year to operate!

The secret streets entry fee sure isn't making any money for him to retire on. What it takes is an active community and good support for the facility, even with the crap weather this year, there still isn't enough rentals to justify the door opening.

Track rental here is ludicrously cheap, in the US it is 3-4 times as much and Ontario is 2.5 times as much. Yet we still bitch it is too much.

For those who comment on the marketing, the race seies and promoters are the people who need to market, Art is not responsible for that, racing is in a pathetic state here.

Formula car races get two cars to a field,yet there are 25-30 sitting in garages in Calgary (mine included, why haven't I been out this year with it?).

While I agree that the facility needs a lot of work, there just has never been enough support to justify it, a double-edged sword.

As for the comments on his inheritance and that, you guys are way off the mark, and the situation certainly doesn't justify those type of comments.

We have spent many hours building a group to generate a new facility, when the call goes out for the money, everybody seems to be a lot quieter than before. It would take ~2.5 million to build a new facility, not including operating or insurance.

Write me a cheque and we will have it built.

Just my two cents ranting and raving.

Cheers,
Miles

Is that 2.5 million for just a dragstrip? Or does it include an oval, roadcourse, etc...?

69cougar
10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Raz

So easy to get around. They would more than likly just charge you with stunting (no you dont have to be in a car to be charged with this offence)

Basically anything that could or would distract a driver can be classified as stunting. So a bunch of people standing on the side of the road could be interpreted as stunting. Sure it is no different than people waiting for a bus to pick them up but it would depend on the circumstances and when they are illegal street racing of which you were activly participating via spectating I see a ticket coming your way.

BS? maybe, it depends on the circumstances I guess.

Thaco
10-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Is that 2.5 million for just a dragstrip? Or does it include an oval, roadcourse, etc...?

the guy that posted that is a roadcourse racer, so i assume he meant the entire facility.

Raz
10-10-2005, 12:36 PM

I have yet to see a good worthwhile post come from you, so I'll brush this one under a rug too.....oh, there's no crime involved in watching a rape? or a murder? or fraud? you're there, you're supporting the scene, and therefore you are involved in event....street racing as an entire "event" is illegal, thats a fact, and as a spectator you are participating....end of story....

Nobody cares if you crash your own car and hurt yourself.....the track is private, therefore you do damage to private facilities.....when you're out in public you have a responsibility as a living human to act responsibly in public! Street racing is putting not only human life at danger, but other peoples and the general publics belongings in danger.

Now, your bank example would relate to this only if it went as follows:

Your buddy says "I'm gonna rob a bank, wanna come watch?"
You say sure, and tag along, and watch him rob a bank...that makes you an accessory, at the least criminal for failing to report a crime....

What you want to hear is, "I'm driving along through this industrial area, and all of a sudden there is street racers and this damn pig came up and towed my car....thats not cool, I had nothing to do with this...."

Some day hopefully, you and the CPS will learn the difference between CRIMINAL LAW breaches and TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT breaches - Yes, watching a rape and not doing anything about it, chalk that up to that seinfeld episode where they don't do anything about a robbery in progress... However, street racing is not a crime, it is a traffic issue which doesn't even (in american terms) count as a misdemeanor (afaik).

Hanging out at a Timmy's drinking coffee and talking to car guys, is just that ... If someone is out on the road driving like a maniac, it can't possibly have anything to do with the customers of the Timmy's - after all, this symbiotic relationship you speak of is completely made up - I'd go to race city and race my car with nobody watching, I go 200+ km/h on the autobahn with just myself in the car and nobody around to witness it ...

Some people...

Btw: I spoke with the CPS about giving out stunting tickets when not in or around a vehicle, its bullshit and they cannot legally give you a MOVING VIOLATION notice based on a non moving violation, if that was the case argued a hot girl would get alot of stunting tickets and points on her drivers license, despite the fact that she's walking down 16th in booty shorts...

ahem

- Rasmus

- Rasmus

10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Donno how long this thread has been up but i just found out about this.:whipped: I dont care what anyone says this will raise street racing no matter what. Many people are going to have winter projects done and want to try them out, including me! IMO
I think that the city or province should step up and provide us with a facility like race city, I would sure put my $400 towards it!:thumbsdow

Raz
10-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Hell yes! :thumbsup:

kenny
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
For a lot of city problems, governments have programs available to help. If they want to rid the city of street racing problems then they should run a program to remove the problem from the streets.

Mission Raceway has *FREE* lapping days every now and then for people to take their cars and race on. I believe its the RCMP that covers the tab. They saw a street racing problem in Richmond, and this was their solution.

Based on the costs of running Race City, we just need 750 members to donate their $400 cheques from the Alberta Government and we can run the place for a year! :)

Raz
10-10-2005, 01:13 PM
You can count my 400 dollar cheque in! ;)

now THERE is a good cause :D

- Rasmus

mx73someday
10-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
The secret streets entry fee sure isn't making any money for him to retire on. What it takes is an active community and good support for the facility, even with the crap weather this year, there still isn't enough rentals to justify the door opening.[/B]

Race City was supposed to hold weekly drift practices at $40/driver this year. But they suddenly changed their minds without consultation. We still actively held legal drift practices and competitions in Alberta despite Race City, so why couldn't they embrace us? To me it seems like they don't care about the active community.

Raz
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
there is that whole lack of organization and the vulgar krazy kooter to boot also souring my taste of race city.

Tha VZA
10-10-2005, 09:39 PM

....and you do??? that doesnt make any sense at all...i am saying it is not illegal for me to go to ANY place such like a Timmy's and hang out and have a coffee, people don't street race in parking lots, and we arn't standing on the side of the road we are in the tim hortons or in the parking lot quite a ways from the road...driving up there and getting towed for doing nothing...the min that happens a suit will be filed against the CPS, i thought we already covered this...:dunno:

think about your post...and get back to me with a better answer becasue i dont understand yours as it is right now...common reasoning doesn't apply to your post either if mine is "SO OUT THERE"

ciao

Tha VZA
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Nobody cares if you crash your own car and hurt yourself.....

actually with our health care system i am sure people do care...and if anyone crashed at race city and got hurt i would care...i guess i have more compasion then you though...

ciao

TurboMedic
10-10-2005, 09:59 PM
you're so right, I lack compassion.....maybe because I am witness to too much darwinism....I'm sure you're next...:rolleyes:

I have compassion for people that deserve compassion, and putting yourself in un-necessary risk and then getting hurt doesn't tug at my heartstrings.....sorry!

Tha VZA
10-10-2005, 10:09 PM
you're so right, I lack compassion.....maybe because I am witness to too much darwinism....I'm sure you're next...:rolleyes:

I have compassion for people that deserve compassion, and putting yourself in un-necessary risk and then getting hurt doesn't tug at my heartstrings.....sorry!

i am not here to have a petty argument, thats for the flying circus to do...

oh yes i am so next to die from stupidity...because you know everything about me...:rolleyes:

doesn't tug at your heartstrings...this coming from a driver of a 2002 GTI turbo...are you not into driving as a sport?, if not thats fine and dandy...but well some people like to live life, as apposed to watching it go by...people do things that can hurt themselves everyday...i am sure you partake in it as well...

ciao

Raz
10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd like to see an official statement from Race City about all this crap... It honestly would be nice to know where we, the fans, the drifters, the draggers - the spirit of Race City get to stand in all of this?

- Rasmus

KieranMX5
10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Maybe its good that race city is shutting down...

Hear me out first...

Now i loved watching the races every weekend, and eventually competing in them. The people there are great especially with first timers like myself. But the problem is that the place is kinda run down. Paints chipping, the road course is bumpy, and the place doesnt look great. This means that if any of the huge racing divisions look upon this place and then go look at the track up in edmonton, they are going to pick edmonton. Now, to put it up to the standard that is needed, the current owner won't work. Not that he hasnt tried, is just that for the amount of work needed, a large capital source is needed that isnt available with the current owner. So! by having race city close down, maybe we can have a group of investors buy into the place. Now some people have suggested tuner shops. I think that the dealerships would be a more likely source of investors. There are a greater number of them, with more capital available to invest into the project. I don't think race city is dead, i believe it will be back and people shouldnt have to worry. I think the city would have a hard time for such a resource to go to waste. People should just be patient and see what happens. Also, we aren't exactly sure that Race city is shutting down, what has helped this along is that no one from race city has made a statement that i have heard of. If people think you are going out of business, wouldnt you want to make some statement saying that hey we arent out of business and we will be running next year? so if someone from race city could state it that would be great, and i would like to see it on the website. None of this, well i talked to a guy who talked to a friend who knows the owners 4th cousin junk. Thanks.

Raz
10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Many valid points, I wouldn't mind seeing a bigger better Race City, I'm just worried that there won't be a place for 'relief' before an entire year from now.. and then what do we do for fun? :) Our playground! Our wonderful playground!
:D

- Rasmus

dj_honda
10-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

To me it seems like they don't care about the active community.

NO but they do care about the active community! As long as the active community includes people who like to race around the oval in the Enduro 750 or whatever and expect to have attendance and generate revenue!!!

If they redo racecity, I would trash the oval. Just get a very good higher quality NHRA sanctioned dragstrip and a decent road course.

AllGoNoShow
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
The drifters, cascar community, aswell as other oval guys would be up in arms about no oval.

Raz
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Yea man, don't forget the all important claimercar racing!!!

TurboMedic
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM

oh yes i am so next to die from stupidity...because you know everything about me...:rolleyes:

doesn't tug at your heartstrings...this coming from a driver of a 2002 GTI turbo...are you not into driving as a sport?, if not thats fine and dandy...but well some people like to live life, as apposed to watching it go by...people do things that can hurt themselves everyday...i am sure you partake in it as well...

ciao

Hmmm, I do enjoy driving, and yes I do love "spirited" driving....I don't need to drive fast though, I can do that all day at work.....Whats wrong with having a nice car with "potential", lots of people do it....I don't have to drive the snot out of my car just cause I can......thats what we call maturity....

Originally posted by Raz

Just ignore TurboMedic, he's a tool who can't do anything on his own, look at his "mods" list

Plus, he apparently loves his holier-than-thou attitude so much that he can't understand the conveyed difference between criminal law and traffic law, not that there isn't an obvious difference, but dickwad/cop wannabe just can't see it.

How come my mods list dictates I can't do anything on my own?? I did all of it on my own thanks....not sure where that came from?? :dunno: All I see is you desperately grasping at straws to try an insult me, and its pretty weak....

And what makes me a wanna be cop? I'm happy being a Paramedic, I'm sure thats more accomplished than yourself, and yes, I can speak from alot of experience on these matters first hand...thats just the way it is, sorry if that bothers you!

Raz
10-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Disregard my low blows to paramedics please, that was enormously immature of me, and I sincerely apologize to all Paramedics and paramedics in training, except George White whom I wouldn't mind seeing on the unpleasent end of a sharp stick.

(George White is training to be a Paramedic and is a tool, a traitor, and a dumbass, hence my somewhat uncharacteristic and illogical agressivity towards the Paramedic proffession)

- Rasmus

Ekliptix
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Anyone want to buy a rain-out pass?

mroseneder
10-10-2005, 11:45 PM
I know someone who is willing to help us fight with the city to have a place provided to race safely. And she's deep deep deep in the political system of Calgary. If anyone is interested, we'll likely need a petition. But you all can email me for details.

[email protected]

Mark

mshaw
10-10-2005, 11:45 PM

ciao

Originally posted by Raz
Just ignore TurboMedic, he's a tool who can't do anything on his own, look at his "mods" list

Plus, he apparently loves his holier-than-thou attitude so much that he can't understand the conveyed difference between criminal law and traffic law, not that there isn't an obvious difference, but dickwad/cop wannabe just can't see it.

So true.

this is humorous guys but your gettin a little off topic here, try to stay focused

Raz
10-10-2005, 11:49 PM
despite TurboMedic's difference in opinion between mine, we both want to go race there I am sure :)

In fact, isn't that why we are all arguing? ;)

Given the other drag strips i've been to now, Race City does seem to be one of the more seedy and slummy ... However, it was fun and cozy-esque...

I'd like to see a newer track with a bigger oval with a better road track, not laid out with pylons, but actually paved with red bumpers and the whole shebang :)

I know it'll take money, but this city is booming, and I for one would like to donate atleast my 400 dollar alberta-gives-me-money-for-no-good-reason cheque :)

- Rasmus

TurboMedic
10-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Raz

Wow, so I guess it is true, they DO have to stick a large wooden stick up your backside before they let you be a Paramedic ... How the fuck is being a minimally educated taxi driver with a uniform any kind of accomplishment?

I know two guys who made it to be Paramedics and honestly, both of them could not solve a math equation, parallel park, or spell their way out of a wet paper bag, complete wastes of space.

- Rasmus

wow.....I hope you need a Paramedic some time soon, you'll be in for a shock....that was a low, and obviously uneducated comment on a field you no apparently nothing about!

Raz
10-11-2005, 01:08 AM

wow.....I hope you need a Paramedic some time soon, you'll be in for a shock....that was a low, and obviously uneducated comment on a field you no apparently nothing about!

Please see my revised post. Sorry.

:thumbsdow for me.

- Rasmus

TurboMedic
10-11-2005, 01:30 AM
thank you.......topic dead.....

Raz
10-11-2005, 01:32 AM
:dunno: like race city?

anyone get ahold of any 'officials' from RC yet?

Tha VZA
10-11-2005, 02:07 AM

I don't have to drive the snot out of my car just cause I can......thats what we call maturity....

i would agree with "just because it can go fast doesn't mean it has too", but some people who are mature responsible adults, like to go out on the weekends, like at race city, and drive fast for a couple hours....i wouldn't call it being immature, just a different way of having fun...

and i am not trying to attack you as a person...just the post you made, i didnt understand the comparisons you were making...

ciao