PDA

View Full Version : Would you JDM again?

whatthe
10-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm considering having something imported... a vehicle with a driveline that is more common to it's north american counterparts to have less issues with parts... If you have some experience, let me know.

The JDM cars I've seen at a glance look many times better than the 200,000+km 15 year old car with 'low kms'. Has anyone encountered hidden problems worse than your average car around here?

Also, I'm wondering how people find driving their RHD on the road safety wise (left hand turns... whatever)?

Who has had problems with engines/transmissions on an imported Toyota?

ricefarmer
10-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Can't tell you anything as far as toyotas are concerned but i haven't encountered a problem yet driving RHD. and about hidden problems, just inspect the car and do everything you normally would when buying a domestic car, it should all work out:thumbsup:

doublepostwhore
10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
PM Ghettobaby he has a JDM MR2

Phuqu
10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
No problems on my Toyota and I've had it well over a year and a bit.

It was so good I have another on the way.

FiveFreshFish
10-09-2005, 10:04 PM
You can always import a JDM LHD German car.

MrMiyagi
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I've seen some cars here that are obviously from out of Canada. Last week, I saw a Nissan that was the shape of a box. (looked a bit like the Nissan Cube) Has anyone else seen this car?

I don't htink it was 15 years old. Also, i've seen some dealers selling Scions. Is this legal? If so, why?

talonboi
10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by MrMiyagi
Last week, I saw a Nissan that was the shape of a box. (looked a bit like the Nissan Cube) Has anyone else seen this car?

nice description:rolleyes:

calgarys13
10-10-2005, 12:36 AM
SEARCh..ive owned 3 rhd cars and had no problems...left hand turns are easy...try getting an s13 as all the components are available here...wait a few months until the sr comes out then you can get a wicked CA18 for cheap...if you have any questions contact www.importconcern.ca

chris
10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by MrMiyagi
I've seen some cars here that are obviously from out of Canada. Last week, I saw a Nissan that was the shape of a box. (looked a bit like the Nissan Cube) Has anyone else seen this car?

I don't htink it was 15 years old. Also, i've seen some dealers selling Scions. Is this legal? If so, why?
nissan s-cargo, it is 15 years old. If the dealer's selling them, i would hope so, saw one at charlesglen

whatthe
10-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I am just looking for more opinions from people that have brought in a RHD. i.e.

How do you find passing on a two-lane highway? My wife makes this kind of trip daily, so it is a concern. Turning at lights I think would be easy enough to make safe if you are patient, and I could think of at least one way to make left hand turns easier.

I started this thread because the only threads I've found from searching involve too many sidetrack comments and opinions from people who would never import a RHD because they shoot down the idea because they already seem to know all the facts...

i.e. someone who hates RHD says comments about skylines with broken transmissions and 80k kms and laughs. Sooo... How many cases has that actually happened? And how much of that is related to the car itself?

Also, other less useful comments about 'their in an auction because they are crap' seem odd when they are not backed up.

Have any of these guys bought a 15 yo car here and actually gone and test driven several of the same model around here? I hate looking at used cars. 'hardly any rust, window is ok, runs great, has a couple of things'... So you go and look at the car, see rust through the fenders, oil that hasn't been changed since 1998, cracked window, etc.. It just seems to me that all the 3.5+ auction cars being brought in are far better than the vast majority of junk around here that people want too much money for.

My belief is that every used car should have something to fix on it, so I don't expect perfection... but I just want to know if people imported something and ended up with many more problems than they bargained for (like the hardly any rust comments you get when looking at cars here... did you import somethign that said it have 5 scratches and find 50), or at the very least if their import met or exceeded their expectations of what a 15 yo car could be?

Consider it a sort of customer satisfaction survey...

A790
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd buy RHD again. As a matter of fact, I plan too soon.

Best buy ever. Came with wicked suspension, no rust, low KM's, neat features... oh yea, great buy.

I just want more speed :D

Man, just do it. It won't take long to learn to drive RHD.

AllGoNoShow
10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Yah Ghettobaby's MR 2 is a good example, brought it in for cheap, pre-modded in some areas, needed a little cosmetic work, he has had it for awhile now, still runs like a champ, goes like stink, hasn't had any problems with it.

I just about got an LHD BMW 735iL from Japan which would have been the same thing, lower miles, no rust compared to here, cheap compared to here, most of the time everything works unless otherwise specificed.

The best thing to do is go through a company who has done it before, for example I planned on using and plan on using in the future, J-Spec Imports, craig to be specific, great guy to deal with, helped me out even though I didn't pay their search fees and stuff right up front, gave me all the info I needed, direct phone line to him to deal with.

chris
10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by A790
I'd buy RHD again. As a matter of fact, I plan too soon.

Best buy ever. Came with wicked suspension, no rust, low KM's, neat features... oh yea, great buy.

I just want more speed :D

Man, just do it. It won't take long to learn to drive RHD.
how much more speed? why not just go bigger turbo?
anyways, i would deffinately jdm again, theres seriously shit all here for 15 yo. plus, what car are you looking at?

method
10-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I wouldnt buy a car that I couldnt get in and drive first, but that's me.

I wonder if anyone in calgary has any horror stories regarding the whole jdm craze.

Shaolin
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
how do you JDMers maintain your cars? do it all yourself?

iceburns288
10-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
You can always import a JDM LHD German car.

:rofl: :rofl:

calgarys13
10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
^whats wrong with that statement?

AllGoNoShow
10-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Its not JDM if its German. JDM = Japanese Domestic Market, CDM, Canadian Domestic Market.

May be in Japan but it isn't domestic to Japan.

xSilv3Rx
10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
how do you JDMers maintain your cars? do it all yourself?

Im wondering this as well... Im not exactly a mechanic :rolleyes:

AllGoNoShow
10-11-2005, 11:06 AM
DIY if its easy work seems to be the most common.

Oil changes I think most of the guys do themselves as its cheaper.

Things like control arms and just bolt on suspension and such I think most guys do themselves aswell.

For some of the specality stuff, like if Ghettobaby needed to do some engine work and didn't feel like it on the MR2, the toyota dealerships can still do it or find a shop who does MR2 around town, the LHD and RHD isnt that different unless ur doing like steering and such, but most of the parts are the same.

FiveFreshFish
10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Its not JDM if its German. JDM = Japanese Domestic Market, CDM, Canadian Domestic Market.

May be in Japan but it isn't domestic to Japan.

I don't agree with that because any vehicle that's officially sold by a new car manufacturer in any country can be considered a "____ Domestic Market" vehicle. The intended market is what goes in the blank, not the origin of the vehicle.

The car you were considering (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104407) was manufactured in Germany but it was officially sold by BMW in Japan, so that makes it JDM.

lastprodigy
10-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

nothing wrong with that statement, even if the wording was wrong (which it isnt) you still know what it means:rolleyes:

AllGoNoShow
10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I don't agree with that because any vehicle that's officially sold by a new car manufacturer in any country can be considered a "____ Domestic Market" vehicle. The intended market is what goes in the blank, not the origin of the vehicle.

The car you were considering (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104407) was manufactured in Germany but it was officially sold by BMW in Japan, so that makes it JDM.

Your right, if it is made for a market then it is whatever that market is. But if it was made specifically for Japan and the JDM, it isn't LHD, its RHD. Sure it was amde in germany but if it was made specifically for Japan at first then yes, JDM car. But when you buy a LHD BMW from Japan, its original origin was not Japan therefor it just ended up in Japan's market.

403Gemini
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288

haha u saw that too hey?