PDA

View Full Version : need lawyer - pedestrian hit!!

madruggist
10-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone,

first post - too bad its under these circumstances! My gf's aunt recently got hit by a truck while she was crossing a crosswalk. Two cars had already stopped for her and she proceeded to cross. some blind tool in the 3rd lane ran straight into her. broken leg requiring emerg surgery, some internal bruising/bleeding, slight head injury, heavy bruising all over body including face ...they told her she was extremely lucky...kept her in for a few days to make sure status was stable,etc

guy got a $600 ticket for hitting her in crosswalk; there were many witnesses. we have started calling a couple lawyers who are asking 25-30% of whatever the settlement will be. is that in the usual range? More importantly, do any of you have know of any good respectable injury lawyers (based in Edmonton)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Peace

Melinda
10-10-2005, 01:11 AM
I hired a lawyer for a caar accident I was involved in (not at fault for though) and he charged 30% so I'd think it's probably average

l8braker
10-10-2005, 01:27 AM
sue him for everything he's worth.

good luck.

blueripper6
10-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Wow, hope hes got million dollar coverage. Or atleast get that guy off the road.

Xtrema
10-10-2005, 03:23 AM
25-30% is typical.

TurboMedic
10-10-2005, 03:32 AM
sue sue sue :thumbsdow why does it always come to that? .....I'm sorry for what happened to your aunt, but nobody should look at it as a chance to make some cash.....

illeagle
10-10-2005, 03:44 AM
That sucks, hope your aunt recovers... that's some scary shit!.... my injury lawyer took 30%

/////AMG
10-10-2005, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
sue sue sue :thumbsdow why does it always come to that? .....I'm sorry for what happened to your aunt, but nobody should look at it as a chance to make some cash.....

This isn't America, it doesn't always come down to that.
Maybe she needs the money? The way he described how she is, I'm sure it'll take a while and some money to fix her right.

KLCC
10-10-2005, 04:43 AM
no wonder they called the lawyer as a blood sucking leeche
30% is quite a bit.......I didn't realize that's what a typical lawer charge....

AcuraTl
10-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by KLCC
no wonder they called the lawyer as a blood sucking leeche
30% is quite a bit.......I didn't realize that's what a typical lawer charge....

it is typical..its always sad when lawyers have to be involved but i guess it was pretty serious...

D. Dub
10-10-2005, 09:20 AM

Why not?!??! This lady deserves to be compensated for her pain, suffering, lost wages, psychological issues, lost mobility and any other ongoing problems she may have b/c of this dumbasses inconsiderate and careless action.

Khyron
10-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Yah I'm not usually for lawsuits, but when someone breaks limbs, puts you through real physical agony and possibly screws up your mobility for life, I'd be suing as well.

Khyron

TheBenzo
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
sue sue sue :thumbsdow why does it always come to that? .....I'm sorry for what happened to your aunt, but nobody should look at it as a chance to make some cash..... Oh come on.. who wouldn't take betterment over a broken leg?

kaput
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM

Mitsu_Ralliart
10-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by madruggist
...guy got a $600 ticket for hitting her in crosswalk...

Are you serious? I got a ticket for $200 for doing 111 on Crowchild. This guy hits someone and nearly kills them and all he gets is $600? I dunno maybe its just me but that seems retarded. Good luck with everything I hope it works out.

thetrousertrout
10-10-2005, 12:11 PM
25-30% is the norm. When a guy rear-ended me and totaled my car, and put me in the hospital for 2.5 weeks, my lawyer wanted to charge me 33.33%, after bickering with him, i got it for 30%. trust me, that 3.33% was huge considering my lawyer is jewish. (nothing against jews, but we all know how tight with cash they all SEEM to be.)

if you are getting 25%, and they seem to be a good and reputable lawyer, you are getting a steal.

If you want my lawyer, PM me, and I will put you in contact with him. As far as I know, he is not taking new clients, but my father is one of his biggest clients from real-estate, I am sure I can get him to take your aunt on.

best thing about him is, he takes care of EVERYTHING. you just give him all the info, and he runs with it, giving you updates when needed. You don't have to do shit.

madruggist
10-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies and comments. It is much appreciated. I guess that percentage is in the ballpark then. Now if you have some names of E-town lawyers that you have dealt with successfully, please let me know! We just don't want to flip through the yellow pages and take a gamble on any which one.
In terms of making $$ off it - it's not that. One big factor is how the dude responded after he hit her, how he downplayed his ticket and how he keeps on wanting to force my aunt to talk to his insurance agent/lawyer. At the very least, she needs a lawyer to represent her. Its also about what she will be suffering financially since she will be missing at LEAST 6 mths from her hospital work w/o fair compensation (due to what her duties include).

Any names would be greatly appreciated. Happy turkey day to all

Peace.

Rockski
10-10-2005, 12:33 PM
whoa where in edmonton did this happen mang?

madruggist
10-10-2005, 12:36 PM
i believe it was close to the traffic circle on 97th/118thave. I was not on scene. Still have to look at the police report.

dragonone
10-10-2005, 01:22 PM
do most you opt for just million dollar or two mil?
i paid just a little bit more for two mil, you never know when you'd need it

in situations like this that person deserves to b sued, he/she obviously wanted to get past traffic and cut into the 3rd lane type of deal

Nissanaddict
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Yeah, when I see cars stopped, I always find a reason why. If there's a crosswalk there, well, then I stop. If I was a prick and went into the 3rd lane because me getting to 3rd ave in time before the good hookers all get taken is more important than someone's legs, well then I deserve to get sued (in this case, replace 3rd ave with the Edmonton equivalent I guess).

Gurpy
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I hope you get A LOT of money for compensation, and I hope that assholes insurance only covers some of it. That guy deserves everything coming to him, so sue the hell out of him. I hate hearing stories like that, a CROSSWALK and they still drive like maniacs. My friends brother got hit crossing a crosswalk too, and he barely survived - so I guess that's why i'm bitter about this situation, but seriously, get him for all the pricks worth.

3G
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
(in this case, replace 3rd ave with the Edmonton equivalent I guess).

Whyte Avenue

b_t
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
unfortunately law in Canada means your settlement is restricted quite a bit, you have to hope for punitive damages. If what you say is true and he is trying to downplay it and shows no remorse, punitive damages are very likely. It also helps if your aunt is a nice old lady who does community service or is an otherwise upstanding member of the community. You want to make it so that the judge wants to punish this guy by slapping him with a very large fine.

madruggist
10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks for all the replies and support thus far...does anyone have injury lawyers to refer? (e-town)

nismodrifter
10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Ask on 780tuners.com, its like the Edmonton version of beyond (both sites are hosted by rage2 too :) ). They'll probably be able to help you out better than we will be able to as they are (as the url says) based out of Edmonton/surrounding areas.