PDA

View Full Version : transmition

QBA
02-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Hi

My transmition is automatic, I found my self changing gears from "S" to drive "D" all the time, just like if I have a mechanical transmition, I use it to slow down the car from "D" to "S" so I don't have to apply the brakes to hard, I start on the lights with "S" and then I get into "D" when I feel the motor need it, and I feel the car has more power this way that if I let the transmition to shift gears on its own if I only use "D".

So here comes the questions: :)

It is bad for the transmition or the car to be changing gears all the time?

Can my transmition breaks if I slow down the car, going to lower gear so I don't have to apply the brakes to hard when I'm going 120 and a smart guy braked in front of me?

thanks

Alex

Weapon_R
02-13-2003, 12:29 PM
It's called an Automatic for a reason. It does the shifting. You don't.

GTS Jeff
02-13-2003, 12:32 PM
i think that u are going to get a lot of different answers from everyone regarding this. but heres what i think.

1. auto trannies arent built for engine braking, so stop downshifting when u slow down unless u want to watch your tranny bust. your brakes were designed to slow u down, not the engine/tranny, PLUS its a lot cheaper to replace your brakes than the engine/tranny.

2. drive an automatic like an automatic. unless it doesnt hold a gear til redline on wot, it can shift just fine without you manually putting it into different gears. if u want to shift the gears yourself, buy a manual tranny car.

ACS-e36
02-13-2003, 12:45 PM
haha.... sorry i find this funny

B17a
02-13-2003, 12:48 PM
Dude, its TRANSMISSION.

redline_13000
02-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Dude, its TRANSMISSION.

:werd: :werd: :rofl: