PDA

View Full Version : Honda engine question

EacydeLude
10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok, here's my problem:

I drive a 2000 Acura Integra GSR. On the weekend, due to laziness I had my oil changed at Mr Lube. Everything went smooth until the final inspection. When the supervisor guy pulled the dipstick to double check the level was OK, the bottom part of the dipstick was missing! It broke off just at the top hole, possibly leaving a inch or so of metal in my engine. Now my concern is that if it broke off and was left in the oil pan, can this harm my engine in any possible way? I've been told there is a preliminary oil tube that has a filter on it, and that I should be ok, but I just want some other opinions.

Thanks

DannyO
10-11-2005, 02:02 PM
My guess is it would either end up in the filter, or stuck to the bottom of your oil pan, I think in some of hondas oil pans they are magnetized.

90Tegra
10-11-2005, 03:05 PM
yes if ur oil pan hasn't been replaced there are magnets in there. but this is the first time ive heard a dipstick brake without force!

lastprodigy
10-11-2005, 04:46 PM
i dont think it should be a huge deal if the whole dipstick sits in there usually anyways...though if it were me id be working on getting it out ASAP...may want to go to the dealer this time

Milk2%
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
just drain the oil, (then refilter it back into your engine and you will get your piece of metal). You should be changing your own oil :P its cheaper.

freakin
10-11-2005, 06:05 PM
I'd be scared to run my motor knowing that there's a piece of metal floating around in there. It will likely be in the bottom of your oil pan. The oil pickup has a screen on it, so it won't even make it to the filter. Just pull the oil pan off and take it out of there. Just make sure you do this in an area that's dust free so that you don't get any crap in there. You can pull the oil pan with the motor still installed, you'll just have to pull the exhaust out of the way.

Get a new oil pan gasket, or reuse the old one if it's in good shape, and get a new dipstick.

I'm very surprised it broke off.....there's no load on it, so someone must have forced it in there.