PDA

View Full Version : exterior led turnsignals?

Harryc8786
10-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey guys in my malibu when I swapped out my 3157 blubs for led versions I needed to add those resistors or w/e they are to make the lights work and not blow fuses. Does this hold true to all cars? I have a 2003 sebring sedan and wanted to get amber 3157 blubs for it but dont want to add those resistors. If its a must im going to pass (dont wana mess with them and the warranty) jw if I can swap my blubs and be done? I dont wana buy blubs and then blow my fuses and cause problems for myself. Just wondering since this is somehting electronical if anyone can help me. Thanks...

ninspeed
10-11-2005, 11:00 PM
yes, you will need resistors in line... it should not be blowing fuses though unless something is grounding out... All a LED does is uses less watts, and confuses the flasher into thinking a bulb is burt out and flash faster...

FiveFreshFish
10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
You will need SHUNT resistors to keep your car's sensors from thinking there's a dead bulb due to the low power consumption of an LED bulb.

Commercially available LED bulbs run on a nominal 12 V. An inline resistor will DROP the voltage, which is something you DON'T want. A shunt resistor runs PARALLEL to the bulb so the bulb still sees 12 V and the resistor allows enough current through to satisfy the car's sensors.

See Jeff's thread. I posted a video there.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104359

rc2002
10-11-2005, 11:24 PM
LEDs use far less current than an incandescent light bulb. They will definitely not cause fuses to blow as they blow based on current ratings.

You definitely won't blow fuses going the LED route. And to answer your question, YES all cars are the same. You will need to add resistors if you don't want your LEDs to blink hyper-rapidly.

Harryc8786
10-12-2005, 06:56 AM
HEy guys thanks for your responses, I dont think Im gona do them because there isn't much wire so its a pain to even get out my headlights and signals, not like in my malibu. So if I use leds for my reverse and brake lights ill be cool without resistors? Just different when the lights blinking or solid?

Thaco
10-12-2005, 07:25 AM
you can get special flashers that allow you to use LED signals without load resistors.

Harryc8786
10-12-2005, 09:51 AM
any more info on those? or where to buy?