PDA

View Full Version : Paint care regiment question

alpha
10-12-2005, 12:30 AM
a few weeks ago I spent 6 hours washing, clay barring, polishing and waxing my car. I used a meguires clay bar, along with a meguires stage 2 polish and stage 3 wax. it turned out great, with a finsh that looked and felt like glass and beaded water off like a new paint job. it has been a few weeks and the weather and dust has taken its toll and now I need to renew the finish again. I am unsure if I am supposed to remove the old coat of wax or just add another one. any help or insight into this would be great. I dont really have a paint care strategy in place, lol.

djayz
10-12-2005, 12:34 AM
well if your really worried about it you might want to take the old coat off to remove all the dust that MAY be stuck on it.
But since you cleaned it up very nicely last time a nice clean and wax should do just fine.

if you wash your car with dish soap it should strip most of the old wax off. If you use a regular car wash soap the wax will stay on and you can just put another coat on.

calgarygts
10-12-2005, 07:45 AM
No need to take the old wax off, just use a good car wash soap and mitt and wash and dry it. Although the wax you used isn't very durable so I guess another coat would be a good thing. If I were you I'd find a synthetic wax before winter as it will last longer than the carnauba you're using (which looks pretty good on dark colors IMO).