PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter

mysterysi
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Just want to know what brand of oil filter do you guys used and where you get it from

Mysterysi

Raz
10-12-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm all about the expensive Fram ones :) with the suregrip happy! :)

EK 2.0
10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
OEM...fom Honda...

GTS Jeff
10-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Raz
I'm all about the expensive Fram ones :) with the suregrip happy! :) haha me too, though I'd go the OEM Toyota filters if it were convenient.

DJ Lazy
10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
OEM I believe... I had it done for me last time.. I don;t think I specified.. :banghead:

DannyO
10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.fram.com/products/oil/oilimg/dblgrd.gif

This mean motherfucker :thumbsup:

69cougar
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
OEM

dericer
10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
There was a study alittle while ago, I think the link is on beyond?

Anything made by Fram was junk, because of their inferior paper element, and poor bypass valve/spring.

The best was Wicks brand elements for there synthetic paper element and superior bypass valve.

The funny thing is Fram is usually more expensive too.

****edit****
If memory serves me correct, this was the study.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

DannyO
10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by dericer
There was a study alittle while ago, I think the link is on beyond?

Anything made by Fram was junk, because of their inferior paper element, and poor bypass valve/spring.

The best was Wicks brand elements for there synthetic paper element and superior bypass valve.

The funny thing is Fram is usually more expensive too.

NOOOOO :cry: :cry: .....I think I remember hearing something about that, but whatever, hardly even driving the car right now, and it was only 10 bux.

Anyone know where I can get one of these Wick filters?

dericer
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
NAPA gold is made by wicks, or wix can't remember.

They are cheap too.

And of course that's at NAPA.

I use them for my synthetic oils, and noticed right away that my oil doesn't darken as quickly.

I should qualify the Wicks statement.

It wasn't the best, but it was the best value.

mysterysi
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I am interested Wick filter too. Another question is, Do you know where I can buy oil filter with extended drain period.

dericer
10-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mysterysi
I am interested Wick filter too. Another question is, Do you know where I can buy oil filter with extended drain period.

Once any filter becomes completly saturated with dirty oil, it's done. I've never heard of a filter lasting longer than 5000k, and still providing peak performance. Which is why I replace mine every 3-4,000k

What sepertates the Good from the Bad is how quickly a filter is clogged/saturated. Which is determined by the type of element, and how much of it is present in a filter.

Then you need to measure the quality of the by-pass valve.
If the valve is crap, you can actually starve youe engine of oil at peak RPM and in cold temperatures. Which is very, very, very bad.

I've always heard that a bypass valve with a spring mechansim is best. Fram uses a bent peice of metal to provide thespring action....very weak, and usually fails quickly.

90Tegra
10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
the heavier the oil filter the better:thumbsup:

forkdork
10-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by mysterysi

Run a bypass filter.... big rig stylez. No but seriously, you could do that and then double your oil change interval....

A2VR6
10-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I run either a NAPA gold or a K&N filter. I've heard some very good things about the construction of the K&N but apparently since it lets more oil pass through the filter (great flow rate) I hear it doesnt do as good as a job of filtering,

mysterysi
10-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by forkdork

Run a bypass filter.... big rig stylez. No but seriously, you could do that and then double your oil change interval....

Can you post more details about bypass filter, prehaps a DIY link ?

forkdork
10-13-2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/spin_on_by_pass_filter.htm

etc etc. Search for Bypass Oil filter on google, you'll get a crap load of results

lastprodigy
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
OEM

rockym20
10-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Note that the cheap FRAM filters are the only crappy ones. If you buy the synthetic ones, they rate amongst the best oil filters available. Its funny how most people only read what they want to see and ignore the rest...

ricosuave
10-13-2005, 05:48 PM
napa gold are made by wix, and they are an excellent brand

DO NOT use fram, they suck ass. paper filters...