PDA

View Full Version : Someone look at this Supra

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Alright, I found this Supra on autotrader for $12,500, and I expressed interest to the seller and he pulled it off autotrader. These are some of the pics he used:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/271000-271999/271898_169_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/271000-271999/271898_218_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/271000-271999/271898_183_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/271000-271999/271898_120_full.jpg

Here's the cardomain page I found those pics from: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/271898

I also found pics of the same car on this board: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-87782.html

In the cardomain page the owner's name is Cameron...and the seller I've been talking to is David. So...can anyone tell me what the deal is w/ this? Anybody know about this Supra and who owns it and where's it located? Thanks!

69cougar
10-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Not that I am sure 100% but that sure doesn't look like Calgary. Notice the Palm trees and vegitation. I would say California. Also the street sign above the stop sign does not look like the style we have here?

Attempt @ Fraud?? Someone playing a joke??

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Merkur
10-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey did you read the guestbook??

posted 9/25/05-

"Hey kick ass supra but i thought that you would like to know that someone is claiming your supra as their own and is selling it for 8700 so it a fraud. Unless you really are willing to sell that supra but i know no way you will sell it for that much. Anyway just letting you that someone is stealing your pics"

there is no way he's selling that car.....someone is trying to screw you.

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
The guy selling it said it was registered in California, but he's moved to England and took the car w/ him, but he needs to sell it for insurance reasons and he needs right-hand drive. Could be fraud, but definitely not a joke. We are supposed to do the deal thru bidpay, and I've already received several emails from his bidpay agent. I did ask his agent to send to send a letter stating the terms of the sale to my home address w/ the official bidpay letterhead, this way I know it's from bidpay, and I could always file a lawsuit against someone who was changing their email settings to look like bidpay's. Basically I put down a $2,500 down payment, and the seller's account is locked. He ships the car to me, and I have 5 days to evaluate it and decide if it's suitable and matches his description and pictures. If I like it and wanna keep it, I call bidpay and they give him his $2,500, then we go about payment afterward. If I don't like it, or it's fraud, then I call bidpay w/in 3 days of receiving the car and tell them it's bogus, and ship it back, and I get my $2,500 back. I can't really lose any money in the deal since I can send the car back and he has to pay for the return shipping, but I am concerned about his bidpay agent, and if it's legit, hence why I asked for an offical letter from them.

As far as the guestbook, I did read that...but that was posted on Sept. 25, and he didn't drop the price down to $7,600 until Oct. 8 or 9...so I'm not sure if that guy was referring to the same car.

sputnik
10-12-2005, 09:47 AM
This is one of the OLDEST scams on the Internet.

Didnt you ever listen to your mom.

"If its too good to be true... IT PROBABLY IS"

Use your head. If he was a legitimate seller he could have taken it to ANY used car lot and walked away with $30,000 USD in cash within minutes if he was desperate to sell.

ricefarmer
10-12-2005, 09:50 AM
either way do you really think anyone is stupid enough to sell that car for $12,500, or 7600!!!:closed:

PorknBeans
10-12-2005, 09:54 AM
The bid pay "agent" is actually HIM. He is disguising himself then he runs off with your 2500 deposit. Don't fall for it.

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by PorknBeans
The bid pay thing is actually HIM. He is disguising himself then he runs off with your 2500 deposit. Don't fall for it.

That was what I was suspecting. And his "agent" said David was currently in the hospital, hence why he wouldn't answer my questions that IF the deal was a scam, honest answers would show it. I know how to needle someone and see if they're honest or not.

legendboy
10-12-2005, 09:56 AM
many scam adds on trader.com

the owner of that car is on supraforums

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 09:57 AM
I posted up about it on Supra Forums...unfortunately they aren't as active as this board, so I haven't gotten any replies.

ricefarmer
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
and you aren't going to get any replies because the car is obviously not for sale:banghead:

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Well for my sake I hope the owner would see and be like, "um, that's my car and it's not for sale." But yeah I'm pretty much convinced it's grade A baloney. Thanks for the help guys!

Merkur
10-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Had a scam like this i found on ebay a few months ago. Was for a 2004 Mini Cooper S for like 12,000.

Said that we use an escrow agent etc etc. He always replied to my emails until his ebay page dissapeared and it said it was pulled because of fraud.

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Well see I went for it at first b/c from what I could tell, the only work that was done to the car was the body work, hood, wheels, and gauges. But it said it was a twin-turbo, and in the pic of under the hood, I only saw one air filter, one turbo...so I got suspicious. Then he stopped replying to my emails a day or two ago, so I decided to look for it on cardomain. And boom, there it was. At least he said it was a '95 and not another year so I could find it.

That.Guy.S30
10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
i think this one is a scam. i know(not really), the owner off of supraforums.com.

i believe it is for sale too. by the real owner, that is.

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I emailed the seller and bidpay agent (which could be the seller for all I know) and asked about the car, I posted the cardomain site and so forth, and I said, "The seller's name is David. But the cardomain says it's Cameron's car, and in the autotrader ad it said it was twin turbo'd, which it's not...single T66." So...I got an email today from a bidpay address (or so it appeared) saying that David's car is not posted on the internet anywhere. So I said, "Well then the car he posted on the autotrader site was NOT his car, and before I put down any kind of deposit, I will see pics of the real car, and I will get an official letter w/ an official letterhead from bidpay so I know it's for real." So...I'll see what happens w/ that. If they're not willing to do the letter, then it's pretty obvious it's a scam. The "agent" also said that I need to put the deposit in FAST, the seller needs the money now and wants to start the shipping today. And I'm thinkin', "Right, shipping what? A box of shit?"

edit: I also asked the seller for his phone #, and the VIN on the car so I could run a carfax. He produced neither of these.

infected
10-12-2005, 05:11 PM
The price already tells you something is fishy...

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Not really. I've seen plenty of Supras going for $12,500 that had body work and wheels. From what he told me, the only mods were intake and exhaust, so I thought maybe it's legit. And when he dropped the price, my guess was that he wrecked it. He said he needed money fast b/c he needs to buy a right-hand drive car, but for him to include shipping and insurance to ship from London, England to KY? I mean that's a good $3,000 at least, so the most he could possibly get out of the deal is $4,500 or so. And certain he could find someone to buy that car for more than $4,500. So that kinda gave it away. But yeah the price was fishy, once the details came out.

lastprodigy
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by UKpimp
The guy selling it said it was registered in California, but he's moved to England and took the car w/ him, but he needs to sell it for insurance reasons and he needs right-hand drive. Could be fraud, but definitely not a joke. We are supposed to do the deal thru bidpay, and I've already received several emails from his bidpay agent. I did ask his agent to send to send a letter stating the terms of the sale to my home address w/ the official bidpay letterhead, this way I know it's from bidpay, and I could always file a lawsuit against someone who was changing their email settings to look like bidpay's. Basically I put down a $2,500 down payment, and the seller's account is locked. He ships the car to me, and I have 5 days to evaluate it and decide if it's suitable and matches his description and pictures. If I like it and wanna keep it, I call bidpay and they give him his $2,500, then we go about payment afterward. If I don't like it, or it's fraud, then I call bidpay w/in 3 days of receiving the car and tell them it's bogus, and ship it back, and I get my $2,500 back. I can't really lose any money in the deal since I can send the car back and he has to pay for the return shipping, but I am concerned about his bidpay agent, and if it's legit, hence why I asked for an offical letter from them.

As far as the guestbook, I did read that...but that was posted on Sept. 25, and he didn't drop the price down to $7,600 until Oct. 8 or 9...so I'm not sure if that guy was referring to the same car.

got the same thing with an 01 S2K for 6K.....

90Tegra
10-12-2005, 06:52 PM
use ur common senses. go to the corner of ur room and tell urself is a mk4 or any car in that level worth 7,000?

forkdork
10-12-2005, 07:07 PM
www.419eater.com

UKpimp
10-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
use ur common senses. go to the corner of ur room and tell urself is a mk4 or any car in that level worth 7,000?

It was worth a good hour of my time. I spend more time than that a day doing pointless shit, so whatev.

Kaos
10-13-2005, 12:20 AM
I like the E36 BMW in the back! :thumbsup:
But what a scam, look at all that work done, kind of makes you wonder why someone would sell such a nice car, for such a low price.

CalgarySupra
10-13-2005, 12:35 AM
that terrible the supra is invloved in the most common scam, it attracted so many shady people.

TurboZombie
10-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by forkdork
www.419eater.com

Check out that site ^^^^^^^

Also this site:

http://www.scam.com/

It has a lot of useful information regarding all the scams out there.

And this Supra scam is one of the classics!:banghead:

sputnik
10-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by UKpimp
I emailed the seller and bidpay agent (which could be the seller for all I know) and asked about the car, I posted the cardomain site and so forth, and I said, "The seller's name is David. But the cardomain says it's Cameron's car, and in the autotrader ad it said it was twin turbo'd, which it's not...single T66." So...I got an email today from a bidpay address (or so it appeared) saying that David's car is not posted on the internet anywhere. So I said, "Well then the car he posted on the autotrader site was NOT his car, and before I put down any kind of deposit, I will see pics of the real car, and I will get an official letter w/ an official letterhead from bidpay so I know it's for real." So...I'll see what happens w/ that. If they're not willing to do the letter, then it's pretty obvious it's a scam. The "agent" also said that I need to put the deposit in FAST, the seller needs the money now and wants to start the shipping today. And I'm thinkin', "Right, shipping what? A box of shit?"

edit: I also asked the seller for his phone #, and the VIN on the car so I could run a carfax. He produced neither of these.

The fact that he wanted you to use BidPay (Western Union) to pay should set off enough alarms.

I cant believe that you actually persued this as far as you did. I would have dismissed it immediately after seeing the ad.

legendboy
10-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Here is an email from someone selling a supra that is supose to be located in alaska. Also, the phone number listed in the ad wasn't a valid number, or even one from alaska

Hi,
I must inform you that I am currently located in Europe(my company
sent me here to do some research) and I left the car with a
shipping company .I will need your delivery information
in order to start the shipping process.You will receive the car in
2-3 days.The shipping company is located in New York City.You will
keep the car for 7 days before making your final decision.I have a clean and
clear title for it,the car is in showroom condition!
Thank you!

Shady? Probably the same guy lol

UKpimp
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Check this out...found a '94 black Supra 6-speed w/ single turbo and everything else, pushes 525rwhp (from what the "seller" said). He's a 66-year old retiree, and he's selling this car b/c his wife hurt her back and can't ride in it anymore. WTF??? So he wants $14K for it, and he said I could do a $2,500 deposit on it, and pay the rest in the next 3 months...no! And $2,500...prolly the same asshole as the last one. I ran a google search on his mods, and found this car...the pics and mods are EXACTLY the same: http://www.payntechnologies.com/cars/alexeipiljan.html

Just for fun I emailed the people at PaynTech and asked about the car, and if I could get the owner's email. I told them why. I just wanna get hard proof and tell the "seller" to f--k off and go throw himself in front of a train.

mr.loco
10-14-2005, 01:26 AM
fucking scam
theres no way in hell or any where in the world you can find a supra tt that cheap and in that awsome conditon props to the real owner:thumbsup:

the same car (http://modifiedcartrader.com/findVehicle/listingDetail.asp?directID=2499&userZip=&numLat=&numLong=)

BB6SE
10-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Ukpimp.. u're a fucken idiot

n00b
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.buysell.com/root/0/46179904/resultdetail.aspx :rolleyes:

chris
10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
^^^i like the 989 area code for vancouver, does this guy do the same scam all the time?

n00b
10-21-2005, 11:38 PM
989 isn't for Vancouver. The two area codes for Vancouver are 604 and 778 :P

chris
10-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by n00b
989 isn't for Vancouver. The two area codes for Vancouver are 604 and 778 :P
exactly, that's why i mentioned it

90s_tuner
10-21-2005, 11:54 PM
2-3 day shipping from alaska? hahaha since when do they ship cars via air

AcuraTl
11-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner
2-3 day shipping from alaska? hahaha since when do they ship cars via air

:rofl:

this idiot got played

JAYMEZ
11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey guys , if you want to buy this car , it IS FOR SALE. But not by this scammer.

Its 42,000 US .

95 Toyota Supra Turbo

Located in San Diego California
Sport roof
6-speed
black/black leather
76,XXX miles

Engine and Power Train:

Turbonetics T66 turbo
Turbonetics turbine housing changed to .70 A/R(6/14/05)
HKS 264 camshafts
HKS adjustable cam gears (new purple/blue version)
HKS turbo system (includes stainless steel hand ported divided manifold, GT wastegate, intake and down pipes and related hardware)
HKS mid pipe (eliminates remaining catalytic, also has extra bung with plug for A/F meter use for tuning) for race.
HKS mid pipe-currently on vehicle(same as above but it has a hollow cat and 3” resonator welded in for street use, also has extra bung with plug for A/F meter use for tuning).
HKS Carbon Ti exhaust system
HKS front mount Racing Intercooler and aluminum piping kit
HKS traction control eliminator
HKS Twin power Ignition
HKS Super Fire iridium spark plugs
HKS Turbo Timer type 1
HKS Racing oil cooler kit with remote mount, thermostatic control valve, stainless lines with AN fittings and fire braid added. Was customized to fit US model. Nice custom bracket for remote mount make oil changes WAY easier!
HPC Extreme Coat on manifold, lower GT wastegate housing, wastegate bypass pipe, front pipe and un-modified HKS mid-pipe.
RPS Carbon/Carbon twin plate clutch with light weight flywheel
Godzilla BOV(2/27/05)
Blitz SBC
Fluidyne aluminum radiator
Nomura cooling plate with custom carbon fiber top layer
Powerhouse stainless upper radiator pipe and lower silicone radiator hose
PHR EGR block off plate

Fuel:

HKS fuel rail
HKS 720cc fuel injectors and connectors
HKS fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 in-tank fuel pump
All fuel system lines stainless with AN fittings

Exterior:

Original TRD hood (Not a replica! Has custom powder coated gunmetal grills)
Paisley Racing carbon fiber front spoiler (with extra clear coat)
Stillen side skirts
Rod Millen Motorsports rear spoiler with carbon fiber center piece and adjustment bolt covers. Custom aluminum plates were made/attached (between end piece and spoiler) to prevent scratching the paint when pitch adjustments to spoiler are made.
1998 version dark housing headlights with Phillips-Microlite HID low beams and HKS Power Beam high and fog light bulbs, 1998 version wrap around combination lamp also.
UK version tail light assemblies (look like 93-6 lights but reverse light and inside red light are swapped. So now the 2 brake lights are split by the reverse light, looks wider. Ordered from UK).

Interior:

Carbon fiber dash
C’s short throw shifter (way better than B&M copy).
Custom one off dash mounted gauge pod with DEFI link gauges (boost, EGT, H2O temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temperature. Externally mounted (steering column)shift light, all meters are in SAE measure not in metric.
Lotech dual full A-pillar pod
Toyota Japan silver OEM gauge trim rings (to match DEFI ring/bezels)
Glove box panel (mounts Blitz SBC, Turbo Timer, DEFI 10K Tach)

Tuning:

AEM EMS
Plug and play stand-alone engine management with HKS 4 bar map sensor and HKS intake temperature sensor. Sensors are connected to HKS FCON S sensor harness with custom connectors that plug into a customized Fields extension harness making it completely plug and play. The extension harness has leads for turbo timer, Defi meters, kill switch and more.

Security:

Optima battery/Yellow top(2/27/05)
Alpine 8890 alarm system with shock and radar sensors. Very popular but discontinued now, includes scrolling marquee remote.

Suspension:

The HKS Hipermax Damper II offers both ride height and shock dampening adjustments, provides improved handling characteristics while maintaining your vehicle’s ride comfort. Ride height is adjusted by simply rotating the 60mm spring retainer perches around the chromed steel shock body. The dual interlocking spring retainer perches prevent spring movement and unwanted ride height changes. Dampening can be adjusted at 30 settings to deliver the desired shock compression and rebound stiffness for custom tailored driving characteristics. The included anodized aluminum upper Pillowball mounts retain spring placement and improve steering response and maintains suspension geometry.

I also have a rear Cusco carbon fiber strut tower brace. You can see it now through plexi-glass but this pic shows what it looks like in complete format before the stereo mods.

Brakes:

These are the top of the line road-going brakes that Brembo offers for the Supra. This is actually the first Supra in the world to have this brake kit. Brembo took the design off of the Ferrari F50. The head engineer for Brembo used this car to design the system for all MKIV Supras. The fronts consist of two-piece 355x32mm crossdrilled 48-vane discs with aluminum bells, large 4-piston aluminum calipers and adapter brackets. Although much larger in size, the front system saves 5.0 lbs per corner over the stock brake system. They make a big difference in stopping power, pedal feel and ride quality.
The rears utilize OEM calipers which have been powdercoated to match the fronts, along with Stillen crossdrilled OEM replacement discs & Stillen pads.
At all four corners I have Goodridge / SMC Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

Wheels and Tires:

The wheels are yet another feature of the car that make it truly unique. These are Advan Sienna Generation II wheels from Japan, measuring 19x9" in front, and 19x10" in the rear. These are mounted with Yokohama AVS Sports 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear. I have yet to see another Supra with these rims. I think they look great because of the polished lip, mesh design and hidden bolts that can only be seen by reflection in the lip.

$42,000$42,000$42,000

Contact seller at [email protected]

VIDEO:

http://www.danzioperformance.com/video/supra_~1.wmv

http://www.danzioperformance.com/video/suprat66.wmv

Professional video w/BOV sounds....mostly freeway