PDA

View Full Version : Im a moron

xenon2
10-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Hey guys I'm interested in riding a bike
Im new to here so help me out
Im a moron so i don't know what to do
I wanted to register Too Cool but it is October so the courses were not available. Is there any way to learn riding a bike?
Im gonna ride 125cc or 250cc
What kinda licence do I need for those bike? and do you know any cheap and good 125cc or 250cc bike?

eclipse00
10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Im pretty sure that your fucked for this year! Try again next year, please do the rest of us riders a favour and take the course. The last think that I want to read about in the paper is another rider killed! FYI get an ex500 or an SV650 for your first bike, you will be really dissapointed with a 125 or 250.

ricefarmer
10-12-2005, 08:17 PM
register next summer

Any way to learn riding a bike? --> ride one

its good that you want to start small but go for a 500cc that way you wont get bored of it too fast. check out suzuki gs500 or kawasaki 500R.
you need a license for anyting over 50cc, or just a learners permit of you are riding with someone else who is 18 and has a class 6.

pyro
10-12-2005, 09:10 PM
im also taking this course next year when i get my bike. just curious do they supply u a bike or do u bring ur own? how much is it? do u get ur licence when ur done the course?

ryder_23
10-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by pyro
im also taking this course next year when i get my bike. just curious do they supply u a bike or do u bring ur own? how much is it? do u get ur licence when ur done the course?

Places like toocool supply the bikes for you, and there is an option of taking the test at the end :thumbsup:

Phy
10-13-2005, 09:36 AM
take the course early next year, and save up some extra money for crash gear.

As for bikes, it's all your state of mind. I ride a 250 (Kawasaki Super Sherpa) and I'm still having fun with it. I've stretched it out on top speed and acceleration but I've barely explored its cornering and offroad capacities.

Good 250s are the Sherpa, Yamaha's XT225 (which is comparable in performance), and Kawi's perennial Ninja/ZZR250. All will do Deerfoot speeds, but the ZZR250 won't yell about it. The Sherpa tops out at about 120-130. There's also Yamaha's Virago 250, which is cruiser-style.

Good 125s... um. I think you're pretty much limited to scooters there. Kawi makes a 125 cruiser but it's tiny.

The 500s mentioned are also a good place to start. I was gonna get one before I got a killer deal on my ride.

5hift
10-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah I took the course from the Calgary Safetey Council and learned on a Super Sherpa. Its ugly as hell but surprisingly I found it the best bike to learn on. One thing I would reccomend is not bringing your own bike to learn on. When I was learning on course, another student else crashed into me and completely fucked up my loaner bike. Better theres than yours.

pyro
10-13-2005, 02:59 PM
ya im thinking about starting off on a cbr or an r1, is there a diffrence between too cool and the calgary saftey council courses? how much are they and how long are they?

snowboard
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
ya im thinking about starting off on a cbr or an r1, is there a diffrence between too cool and the calgary saftey council courses? how much are they and how long are they?

Yo thats handicapped, dont even think about starting on an R1, wayyyyyy too big......
Highest you should even consider going is 600 man......

ca2p3r
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
im lookin for a gsxr 600 for next year to learn on
so if anyone has any deals pm me! :poosie:

pyro
10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

Yo thats handicapped, dont even think about starting on an R1, wayyyyyy too big......

aww but i want to play with the big boys, maybe ill just stick with the cbr for a bit (what are some other good 600's)

snowboard
10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
gsxr 600
Cbr 600 rr or f4i or f4 for starters
zx 600
r6
yfz 600 or whatever that other yamaha is
or even get an old fzr...
those are the most popular bikes...

Phy
10-13-2005, 03:55 PM
yzf600r is the Yamaha That Is Not An R6. Don't see many of them. Kind of a shame.

xenon2
10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
guess I should take the course next summer
thanks guys

viffer
10-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by snowboard

wut???? R1z pwn!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But yes like everyone else said here, pls take some type of training course, you might have to wait until next year but it will be worth it. Also, if you're a self-proclaimed moron, perhaps riding a motorcycle is something you shouldn't even bother with. Morons + bikes = maroon road stains.

danno
10-14-2005, 10:31 PM
starting on a r1 would be crazy, you must be looking to raise your insurance.

i started on a f4i and i love it, very nice to ride. wait a few years then start thinking about a r1. the 600 will keep you interested for a while.

i like calgary safety council as well very good instructors, decent bikes. 300 bucks

djstefan
10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Get a 600 sports bike, nothing smaller. 600s are forgiving enough so that you don't fu@#$ up at the beginning, (just keep it below 8k) but later you can keep up with big boys.

Oh, and yeh, make sure you take the classes. They might save your life!

Beanie_baby
10-22-2005, 12:11 AM
I myself took the Too Cool Motorcycle course. It was a well investment. I was afraid and very clueless when starting. I didn't know a thing about bikes. They are great teachers and will offer some one on one advice if you're having troubles. My mom took the course with me and she was ready to quit.. They took her aside and got her confidence back up. 4 months later she bought a Zuki SV650S. That is a GREAT starter bike. It's def worth the money. It's better than just getting on and going. Thats why people die. They get cocky and shit happens. Like they said in the paper not too long ago most of the motorcycle accidents were because of inexperienced riders. People forget there's alot more to riding a bike than just getting on and going.

An R1 would be a stupid bike to begin with. It's too much speed for someone who does know how to react in certain situations or how to control the bike in certain situations..

Anyways my 2 cents. Invest in Too cool motorcycle school.Trevor and Dave are the nicest guys!!! New season starts in March . They have Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Marauder, NInja 250 and something else to practice on.. I forgot the other one.

Billet
10-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by djstefan
Get a 600 sports bike, nothing smaller. 600s are forgiving enough so that you don't fu@#$ up at the beginning, (just keep it below 8k) but later you can keep up with big boys.

Oh, and yeh, make sure you take the classes. They might save your life!

:thumbsdow

a 600 cc bike will get you in just as much trouble as a 1000cc bike will get you into. Either way they are both terrible learning bikes.

dont know where this rule that new guys start on 600's, big boys are on 1000's but its something that came from the past, and its just that now... the past. the new 2006 6's... they are putting down the same HP as the old 1000cc bikes.

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 05:42 PM
^

:werd: my buddies new zx6r, the 636 model, keeps up to my other buddies 03 gixxer. Its a bit less of power, but the 600s now a days are nuts.

Starting on an r1 would be insane, hell, first time i rode a brand new r1, i was scared shitless. Well not really, but i couldnt imagine starting out on one.

CBRs are great because i feel honda has a really smooth powerband, where some bikes, r6, gixxer, they sort of just snap at you around 8000-10000rpm, and if your not expecting it, you can easily end up in a ditch etc...

Just remember, even after a few hundred kms, you start to get really comfortable on a bike, just make sure you dont loose the same mentality from when you first start out, dont get cocky on it, cause they will take your life in a heartbeat.

Chester
10-30-2005, 02:44 PM

HAHA! You would kill yourself instantly if you start with a R1.

djstefan
10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Billet

:thumbsdow

a 600 cc bike will get you in just as much trouble as a 1000cc bike will get you into. Either way they are both terrible learning bikes.

dont know where this rule that new guys start on 600's, big boys are on 1000's but its something that came from the past, and its just that now... the past. the new 2006 6's... they are putting down the same HP as the old 1000cc bikes.

Dood, did you read what I wrote? Keep it below 8k. Every 600 I rode had jack power under 8k. My gixx 1k will lift with throttle only at 3k, but the gixx 600 would hardly lift at 7k. (talking no clutch here and sit down). A 600 is a good forgiving bike at lower RPMs, can't compare it with a 1000.