PDA

View Full Version : Car questions...noticed a problem

shar123
10-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I just recently purchased a used 2002 chev.cavalier...while driving it this morning I pressed hard on the brake and there was a strange grinding sound...almost like metal but I don't beleive its the brakes because they seem fine...however I've had creaking in the steering when I turn etc...is this the wheel? I'm sure its hard to tell without looking at it but I just thought maybe someone else had a similar problem:werd: the car I only bought because I needed something cheap and it was the cheapest on the lot...

AllGoNoShow
10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Creeking steering?

Get a freind to check for sounds while your turning th esteering wheel at a stop, use diferent techniqes, put in gear but brake on and steer, put in park brake off and steer, brake on a steer. Just things to make the noise.

Grinding noise when you push the brakes?

Same thing, try and figure out the area the noise is coming from then let us know.

shar123
10-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Ok...good points...it kind of freaked me out...I will look more into it. Thanks.:)

ZMan2k2
10-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Could the "creak" in your steering be classified as a "squeak" as well? A fairly quiet squeak that you hear only if you're going low speeds and the radio is off? Cause if that's the case, you need to get the "intermediate shaft" re-greased on the column. I had a squeak on my car, and it was the shaft.

As for the brakes, when did it happen? First time you pressed on the brakes in the morning, or was it constant? Did you hammer hard on them? If you did, does the car have ABS? Cause when the ABS kicks in, there is a loud humming, and the pedal vibrates a bit.

schurchill39
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I would say ABS sounds like a grinding noise. If you really step on your brakes you will hear the "grinding noise" and like Zman2k2 said your pedal will either vibrate or pulsate quickly. But if it happens when your just lightly stepping on them like when your comming to a stop casually then your pads are probly worn down to the metal and you should replace them ASAP. This happend to me on my first car. After about a week of having it it was making a grinding noise and when i checked it out it was metal on metal and i had to get the rotor resurfaced