PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a honda... a few small issues

Thaco
10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I was hoping some of these may be simple fixes or common problems with Hondas that someone may know a fix before I waste my time and money replacing parts.

I bought a 88 prelude recently and it has some small issues... first, it has been sitting for like a year... the previous owner put a new battery in it like 6 months ago... also it had a stereo in it, which was disconnected until about 3 months ago, at which time he hooked it back up and it drained the battery, so the battery sat dead for about 3 months (being a new battery I don’t understand why it wont charge now) so I ran the car for about 2 hours and when I turned it off, I went to turn it back on (to test the battery) and the battery was dead before the starter could even think of trying to start... question is, do you guys think if I throw it on a trickle charger for a few days that may help?

Second thing is the climate control. the "off 1 2 3" knob that controls the heater fan, does nothing, I turn it and the fan does not work. it did work when the car was parked... and I want to avoid shelling out $100 or whatever for a new heater fan if that’s not the issue (I know I can test it but I just want to see if anyone has any easier suggestions)

Next thing is the wipers "settings" don’t work... if I turn the lever it is supposed to go to INT, Slow, Fast.. the turning of the lever does not work, however if I pull the lever down, it does the "mist" setting that stops as soon as I let go of the lever

Next... :P the ebrake wont stay off... if I let go of it the lever comes up and clicks a time or 2 and the dash light comes on... there is a bit of a grind in the back... I think this is because of a crappy/stretched/seized cable.. if I pull the ebrake on normally I get tension in the handle and I hear the clicks, but I have not actually tested to see if it works (it has 4-wheel disk)...

and the last thing, remotely tied in to the ebrake thing... the brakes seem very soft.. it takes forever to stop... I have checked the fluid and that is sufficient... not sure if anyone else has any other suggestions, I intend to give this car a good look over this weekend (I have looked over it but I don’t have the time right now to lift it up and check the underside/brakes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (unless you suggest to scrap the car)

lastprodigy
10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
it wouldnt hurt to throw a charger on the battery for a couple days, but odds are you will need a new battery!

Deetz
10-13-2005, 05:12 PM
For the heater control, its more than likely just the fan resistor that needs replacing. One can be found at pick your part for like $2.
I had to do the one on my crx just last weeknd, 5 min fix. :thumbsup:

Thaco
10-13-2005, 07:59 PM
changed the battery, problem solved... wiggled wires for the wiper switch, problem solved.

The fan controls i am not sure, i took the fan out and tested it, it works fine... deetz, that resistor... is that the climate control knob? if not what/where is the resistor you speak of?

with the ebrake i just took the console cover off and tightened it up a bit and that turned the dash light off. but i dont think it solved any of the real problem.

my main concern and the only reaosn i dont drive it right now is the soft brakes... any ideas? i know most people will say try bleeding them, but i am not really sure how to go about doing that... the brake fluid seems kinda dirty...

freakin
10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
with the back brakes, it sounds like you have a siezed caliper. Put the back end up on jackstands, release the park brake, and see if the back wheels turn freely. I'd bet that one is draging.

Mind you that noise my just be an accumulation of rust on the rotors. My Volvo did that for a couple of days until it worked its self off.

Thaco
10-14-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks for the tips, i am goign to go work on it for a few hours right now and make a list of stuff i need, picknpull has a 50% sale this weekend so guess where i am going t spend the whole weekend, horray :P

GTS Jeff
10-14-2005, 01:21 PM
The fan resistors are located somewhere between the fan and the switch. :) Check the FSM. Or ask Deiter. If your highest setting for the fan still doesn't work, it's probably not the resistors, cuz the highest setting doesn't normally go thru a resistor. There might be a break in the wiring somewhere.

For the brakes, the first thing to do is to completely flush the system with fresh fluid. Make sure you bleed the brakes properly and thoroughly.

Seanith
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah sounds like the brakes probably need to be bled. Its a simple process really, you will just need a buddy to help (unless you have the air attachment that sucks the air right out but you probably don't have that).