PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Rust Prevention

86max
10-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Is there any way to prevent brake rotors from getting rusty while a car is in storage? Some special lubricant or something?

I pulled the winter car out after it sat all summer and the rotors rusted pretty bad and even warped. I don't want to have the same happen to the summer car.

rc2002
10-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I've found that leaving the e-brake off and using wood blocks is easier on the rotors, rather than having the rear pads holding the rotors all winter. That might prevent some warping.

As far as rusting goes, the best solution would be to take the rotors off the car and get them cad-plated. That works awesome - every set of rotors I own is cad-plated now. :)

Otherwise you could probably even apply any type of grease around the edges of the rotors to keep them from rusting. Make sure to use a healthy spray of brake clean in the spring when you take your car out and you should be good to go.

rockym20
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
You could even apply a clear high-temp paint to the areas not touched by the pads.

grandmaster
10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
how much does cad plating cost? What are the costs for other options such as zinc plating?

Weapon_R
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Where can you get your rotors cad plated and is there any cons to doing so?

86max
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Awesome, thanks for the ideas!

My fronts are already cad plated but that doesn't help the area which the pad contacts obviously. After a week I already have little orange dots :(

I might try the paint, unless there's a downside to it. I'll still have to remove the rotors to spray them.

It should burn off in a few mins of use anyway right?

GTS Jeff
10-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 86max
Awesome, thanks for the ideas!

My fronts are already cad plated but that doesn't help the area which the pad contacts obviously. After a week I already have little orange dots :(

I might try the paint, unless there's a downside to it. I'll still have to remove the rotors to spray them.

It should burn off in a few mins of use anyway right? Don't listen to the guy with the paint idea!! Haha a lot of R&D goes into properly mating the pads to the rotors...don't fuck it all up with paint!!

I think the best thing to do would be to coat it with some sort of lubricant, then clean it off come spring time with brake cleaner.

rockym20
10-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Actually, I meant to paint the area NOT touched by the pad. If you paint the area touched by the pad, your braking will be pretty crappy until this is worn off (which should be almost immediate, if you figure how much friction is created by braking).

86max
10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Ok, thanks jeff and rocky, i'll just spray some kind of oil on the rotors and clean it off real good in spring.

GTS Jeff
10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rockym20
Actually, I meant to paint the area NOT touched by the pad. If you paint the area touched by the pad, your braking will be pretty crappy until this is worn off (which should be almost immediate, if you figure how much friction is created by braking). Any part of the rotor that doesn't touch the brake pads are hidden from view...

stevieo
10-14-2005, 10:56 AM
andy, i saw some commercial on tv last night, haha i think it was for rona or canadian tire..

but it was some rust lubricater where you spray on and let sit and supposedly 'proctects' against rust, and then use the spray cleaner to get it off once your done with it.

it was only like 7.89 or some shit

don't remember the name but heres their website (i only remembered what the company was called)
http://www.krown.com/

dcoultis
10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
spray it with motorcycle chain lubricant.

freakin
10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
If you put any oil on the rotors, you run the risk of contaminating the pads. I'd just paint, powdercoat or plate the parts if you're that worried about them.

GTS Jeff
10-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by freakin
If you put any oil on the rotors, you run the risk of contaminating the pads. I'd just paint, powdercoat or plate the parts if you're that worried about them. That's also true, I didn't think of that.

You know, with the work required to take the rotor off to paint it, why not just take it off and store it inside somewhere where it won't rust??

78si
10-15-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Don't listen to the guy with the paint idea!! Haha a lot of R&D goes into properly mating the pads to the rotors...don't fuck it all up with paint!!

I think the best thing to do would be to coat it with some sort of lubricant, then clean it off come spring time with brake cleaner.

:rolleyes: your idea isn't any better

eblend
10-15-2005, 08:44 AM
there is a place in calgary that does cad platning for like 7 bucks/rotor. I can look for the info but its somewhere on the other computer

90s_tuner
10-15-2005, 10:27 AM
WD every couple days should do it.

grandmaster
10-16-2005, 06:49 PM
does anyone know who does cad plating in edmonton?

TEAMFaint
10-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Zinc plating does the same thing as cad plating.

hollywood_35
10-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Just do what mechanics do to engine blocks when they store them, spray on some nice heavy engine oil and just make sure everything is coated and you're good. Come spring time, hose it all off with brake cleaner and you're good to go. :thumbsup: