PDA

View Full Version : Did they have the right to fire me??

LudeRoca
10-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Okay this is the situation. I used to work at bestbuy. Last christmas i had moved out do to family issues and i was living with my cuzin. She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. I lived there for about 6 months and then i moved back in with my parents before i left for india. Couple days after i left something went wrong with the tv. I told them that they could go in and tell them what happend and they should replace it cause i had bought the warrenty. They fixed the tv but when they brought it back it had a scratch on it. So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt. I still own the tv. Anyways to make a long story short they fired me because they believe i gave them the tv for rent money. and i guess this goes against employee staff purchaces. I was goin to go pick up the tv sooner or later but i didnt get around to it. Anyways can i fight this some how or cam i hooped?????

A790
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Tell them that your cousin was severely mistaken, and that you hadn't been able to pick up that T.V. at that time. Tell your manager that the reason they fired you is under false information.

If they still talk BS, inform an attorny and let them know that wrongful dismissal is very serious.

digi355
10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
In the end as long as the receipt is in your name they can’t prove otherwise. Take en to court you’ll come out with the back pay. Who are we kidding though, you bought them the TV. It sounds like you broke the rules and got caught. Everyone does it, sounds like they made an example out of you hoping you wouldn’t peruse it.

LudeRoca
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
thanks guys. Cause my mom and my friends are all sayin that i should take it to court or talk to the labour boards.

also when they fired me, my two managers took me to the room and when i explained everything to them they tried to twist my words. at the end of the conversation they said they have to wait for a text message from the General manager to see if he wants to let me go and he wasnt even there to hear me out.

QuasarCav
10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house.

Giving and employee purchased item for partial payment will get you fired. You will have little chance against them in court. From your conversation it looks like they had a good enough reason.

LudeRoca
10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house.

Giving and employee purchased item for partial payment will get you fired. You will have little chance against them in court. From your conversation it looks like they had a good enough reason.

yea i bought it for the house not them. i stil had full intentions of takin it with me if i ever left.

SUPRAPHAT
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't know I bought a TV for our house when I worked for Future Shop in December and they never said anything. And it was even our manager that put it through!

My parents were there and we explained that it would be used by the family and then when I move out it will be mine.

Then again, we bought a $4000 TV so that might have had something to do with why they never said anything

Jason

l8braker
10-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
i had bought a tv for the house.

there's the problem. you bought the tv, so the mature and professional thing to do would you deal with it, not your cousins. very confusing situation. i would have turfed you over that. very unprofessional.

and looking at your profile your a year younger than me, find a new job with better pay and move on. they won't take you seriously.

no offense.

l8braker
10-13-2005, 07:09 PM

also when they fired me, my two managers took me to the room and when i explained everything to them they tried to twist my words. at the end of the conversation they said they have to wait for a text message from the General manager to see if he wants to let me know and he wasnt even there to hear me out.

also sounds very unprofessional with the way they handled that.. managers text messaging eachother in this type of situation? :thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
10-13-2005, 08:23 PM

Giving and employee purchased item for partial payment will get you fired. You will have little chance against them in court. From your conversation it looks like they had a good enough reason. Exactly.

If I were the managers, I'd definitely fire you. Everything points at you abusing your employee pricing. And really, you can't prove otherwise.

Besides, why raise a stink over a $9/hr wage job? You could be back in a job that pays just as much without much trouble.

gatorade
10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
your cousin is the moron who said she bought it from you...

Team_Mclaren
10-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I think the problem is that your cousin brought it in for warrenty and she told the manager that you bought it for her. Therefore the manager has all the right reason to get you fired. I'm sure they dont care otherwise since they can't proof a damn thing. But since this situation is so obvious they will probably use it as an example to show other employees what NOT to do.

So i highly doubt you'll have any chance of getting your job back

90s_tuner
10-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by gatorade
your cousin is the moron who said she bought it from you...

Yes that was pretty stupid of her to say that. Not to sound harsh but your cousin screwed you, go find another job.

Ben
10-13-2005, 11:31 PM
meh, even if you go through the hassle of getting your job back, you'll be under the looking glass the whole time you're there. They'll likely give you garbage work, and the whole morale will be out the door. You'll constantly have this abrasivness with management, and promotions will be few and far between.

Walk accross the street to Future Shop, and be more wise how you use your employee purchase plan. This isn't a career, so it's nothing to lose sleep over in the end other than it being a dumb pain in the ass to go job hunting again.

googe
10-14-2005, 03:20 AM

Correction. The cost of rent to him the months before, after, and during the purchase of the TV was $0. This was paid in full, so there would be no need for an additional partial payment, TV or otherwise.

The employer would have to prove that the purchaser of the TV was in debt to the recipient of the TV, and they would have to prove that she in fact owns the TV.

You paid your $0 rent in full, your cousin will agree to this. You still own the TV. You have your TV set up openly in your place of residence, so you could have your own TV that you could watch, and you dont mind if others use it. Its still your TV and you are taking it with you when you leave. Your cousin brought in the TV for repair as a favor, and because you live together it was convenient.

They dismissed you on violation of company policy, and in order to do that, they have to have proof that you were in violation. Sticking to the above story, they dont have a leg to stand on. You have done nothing wrong.

So the answer is yeah you could win a wrongful dismissal suit, but it depends how bad you want to and how far you want to take it.

Xtrema
10-14-2005, 06:39 AM
......... She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. .....................So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt.................

Base on that, it's a violation right there.

But the insistence of the managers to enforce the rule which may mean they don't want you there to begin with. Let's be real, who wants to lose people in this labour market if your performance is any good.

By all means, try labour board or lawyer for wrongful dismissal and get some cash or at least some dignity. But you definitely won't be working there again.

DC2
10-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by googe

They dismissed you on violation of company policy, and in order to do that, they have to have proof that you were in violation. Sticking to the above story, they dont have a leg to stand on. You have done nothing wrong.

well stated!

..weird how reverse lights dont work..
..weird how we both worked the BB..

Labour board is the way to go..or even write a letter to human resources for BB. they take those pretty seriously. i hade a friend that did that. odds turned in her favor.

even if you do get your job back, would you really work there?
management is going to be on your ass so much

(i bet one of the managers was STEVE wasnt it?)

TheBenzo
10-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Okay this is the situation. I used to work at bestbuy. Last christmas i had moved out do to family issues and i was living with my cuzin. She didnt charge me rent or anything and well they needed a tv. So sinse they werent charging me rent i had bought a tv for the house. I lived there for about 6 months and then i moved back in with my parents before i left for india. Couple days after i left something went wrong with the tv. I told them that they could go in and tell them what happend and they should replace it cause i had bought the warrenty. They fixed the tv but when they brought it back it had a scratch on it. So my cuzin went in and talked to my manager and said they wanted a new tv. While they were dealing with that my cuzin said that she had bought the tv from me which she didnt. I still own the tv. Anyways to make a long story short they fired me because they believe i gave them the tv for rent money. and i guess this goes against employee staff purchaces. I was goin to go pick up the tv sooner or later but i didnt get around to it. Anyways can i fight this some how or cam i hooped?????

Blah blah blah... You werent a good enough worker for them to let something this minor slip. They didn't like you enough to let it go. Face it. You are fucked. IF you have been there less than 3 months, you are even more fucked.

FiveFreshFish
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Walk accross the street to Future Shop, and be more wise how you use your employee purchase plan.

Future Shop and Best Buy are owned by the same company. I'm pretty sure they share HR info.

Tyler883
10-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by googe

Correction. The cost of rent to him the months before, after, and during the purchase of the TV was $0. This was paid in full, so there would be no need for an additional partial payment, TV or otherwise.

The employer would have to prove that the purchaser of the TV was in debt to the recipient of the TV, and they would have to prove that she in fact owns the TV.

You paid your $0 rent in full, your cousin will agree to this. You still own the TV. You have your TV set up openly in your place of residence, so you could have your own TV that you could watch, and you dont mind if others use it. Its still your TV and you are taking it with you when you leave. Your cousin brought in the TV for repair as a favor, and because you live together it was convenient.

So the answer is yeah you could win a wrongful dismissal suit, but it depends how bad you want to and how far you want to take it.

I hope he takes this suit all the way, if not for himself, he should do it for all the employees that have been fired from these kinds of jobs.

Ben
10-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

I hope he takes this suit all the way, if not for himself, he should do it for all the employees that have been fired from these kinds of jobs.

Why, he's not unionized, why should he go through the expense and aggrivation to fight for something he may not truly like. If this was a high paying career job, I could maybe understand, but I mean come on. Do you think buddy who gets canned from McDonalds for slinging discounted Big Macs is gonna fight for his fry flushin homies? Nope, cant see that happening, he's just gonna waltz on over to Burger King, or maybe try his hand at being a Sandwich artist.

Tyler883
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Why, he's not unionized, why should he go through the expense and aggrivation to fight for something he may not truly like. If this was a high paying career job, I could maybe understand, but I mean come on. Do you think buddy who gets canned from McDonalds for slinging discounted Big Macs is gonna fight for his fry flushin homies? Nope, cant see that happening, he's just gonna waltz on over to Burger King, or maybe try his hand at being a Sandwich artist. :rofl:

DC2
10-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Future Shop and Best Buy are owned by the same company. I'm pretty sure they share HR info.

they do.. if you worked at one and apply at the other. they will call your old manager for a reference.

LudeRoca
10-14-2005, 09:37 AM
yea i right after i got fired from best buy i went and saw my buddie at future shop. when i told him what happen his said no dice. and as for them not liking me its not true. My friends from work called and told me that they didnt want to let me go. either of the managers that were there. it was the Gm that said its the best thing to do.

Xtrema
10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
yea i right after i got fired from best buy i went and saw my buddie at future shop. when i told him what happen his said no dice. and as for them not liking me its not true. My friends from work called and told me that they didnt want to let me go. either of the managers that were there. it was the Gm that said its the best thing to do.

If that's the case, the employee discount must be abused a lot that you're being made an example out of.

natejj
10-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Once he buys the TV...... its HIS tv.... who cares what he does with it????

Its his property!

LudeRoca
10-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by natejj
Once he buys the TV...... its HIS tv.... who cares what he does with it????

Its his property!

u'd think so. but thats not the case. They told me what i did was the same as stealing.:rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Maybe your cousin was pissed off at you for always calling her "cuzin."

haha seriously though, everyone abuses staff pricing. Fuck, I don't even work there and I've gotten soooooo much shit there at staff price from like 8 different people. The trick is to keep your mouf shut. Your cuuuzn' really fucked up.

Weapon_R
10-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd fire you too. Buying a discounted TV and selling it to someone else is immoral.

TheBenzo
10-14-2005, 11:28 AM

u'd think so. but thats not the case. They told me what i did was the same as stealing.:rolleyes: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/FUELALTERED/Hithere.jpg

No it isn't. You are too busy listening to some fuckup 25 year old manager with a receding hairline who never gets laid.

Xtrema
10-14-2005, 11:29 AM
u'd think so. but thats not the case. They told me what i did was the same as stealing.:rolleyes:

What's your discount? Cost +5%?

Bill Cosby
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
if they already filed the termination papers you are fucked, work at futureshop :p sorry

googe
10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree with Xtrema in that if it was the GM they are trying to make an example of you. EVERYONE abuses staff pricing, Im sure they dont like it and are trying to curb it. This was their chance.

But another reason you might want to fight the decision, depending how long you have been there, is simply to clear your name and employment record. No future employer wants to find out that youve been fired for abusing your benefits. If you win a suit against them or get an apology letter or something, then at least youll be able to back up what you say.

Theyre trying to make an example of you. If you have the time and resources, I say make an example out of THEM :thumbsup:

rice_eater
10-14-2005, 06:22 PM
ok so WTF. lets say i work at futureshop, buy something at employee cost and 2 months later i decide to upgrade and sell it... is that theft according to those bright individuals that fired you because i got more of my money back than normal people would??? to me it sounds like whatever your cousin told them, that must have thrown a bigger monkey wrench in your shit that you thought...something that just came out wrong like "he bought it and then he gave it to us to use"; i would definately pursue this further, not so you can work there again, but so you get your severence package like you're supposed to. its hard to top this story with another from the pile of retarded shit you have to put up with every day. i really hope you get something back from this coz that's garbage

LudeRoca
10-14-2005, 08:11 PM
from their view if you staff anything it cannot be sold. I would be great to get something from these prick but whatever. Im just goin to find a different job. but thanks for your guys inputs.

403Gemini
10-14-2005, 08:33 PM
he IS allowed to buy the present and give it away as a gift though, and if you're giving them a gift of a tv for them being so generous for letting you stay i dont see the big fucking problem.

where i do see the problem is your cousin trying to get a free brand new tv because of a scratch. if he didnt do that, youd have a job.

anarchy
10-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I agree with those that say you have a case. It's obviously bullshit cuz you did nothing wrong, and if you explain it clearly they can't prove otherwise.

However, I also agree that it's pretty pointless to fight over it. Taking them to court is a waste of time and money, and it's over a $9/hr job. Apply elsewhere and make more money.

I don't know if it might affect your future jobs if they want a reference however, so that's something to consider. If it doesn't make a difference and you're fighting simply just to get your job back, I say fuhgeddaboudit.

403Gemini
10-15-2005, 03:24 PM
luderoca, if this happened fairly rcently id just go in, talk to the manager, say it wasnt a payment for rent, say it was just a present for them being so generous for allowing you to stay. tell him to print up the rules for staff purchase, it explicitly says you are allowed to buy merchandise as presents

5abi
10-16-2005, 05:27 PM
fuck best buy.

wuz it tony who fired you? he called me a paki iin the backroom and then fired me.

I got into a car accident the day b4, and could'nt make it 2 work, so he calls me 2hrs after start of my shift and asked me where i am, im like i'm in an accident talkin 2 cops rite now call me later or i'll call u. So i goto work the next day he's like u shoulda called if u could'nt come in under ne circumstance....i'm like well i had larger things on my mind, after some excitement on his part and mine....he called me a "thankless paki" and fired me.

I'm sure u can buy things for familly members, i've done it thru managers b4 for my cousins, no problems. I dunno wuts up their asses.

further more

fuck bestbuy.

LudeRoca
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
haha thats an interesting story but tony isnt the manager there anymore. Its some fag named Dave, whose tryin to prove himself to others.

Gurpy
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
5abi, if he called you a paki you could have got him fired..

5abi
10-16-2005, 05:47 PM
it wuz'nt my food money or ne thing, i'm sure his familly relies on him for food, tha's why i decided against takin action.

Gurpy
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Ah, well that was pretty nice of you. Props to you for not taking action then.

cp1
10-18-2005, 02:04 AM
tsk tsk worrysome are the days when you can be fired via text message.

back on topic i would seriously consider a lawyer even if theres no money to gain for it. just do it in principle.

AcuraTl
10-30-2005, 07:33 AM
im going to bump this, i have a buddy that works at FS, and well im trying to get a laptop for school @ a good price. However reading around i have found out that the markup on laptops is REALLY low, so im thinking of just getting the PSP on the laptop. I can buy it at regular price and give the receipt to my buddy, who can say he got it as a gift and buy the PSP....they get a 50% discount on the psp...and that i can pay him back, i know this is immoral, but being a student living alone, not having a computer is brutal...im actual typing this up a buddies house :(

Nav13
10-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Hrmm, I yes you can do that, but the safer way would be for you to just give him the money for the laptop+psp, and let him purchase it all. I used to work at bestbuy, so I am not just making up bs.

AcuraTl
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM
thats cool, but how much of a markup is there on laptops?