PDA

View Full Version : The Welfare Country

GingeRRRBeef
02-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Ouch!

Glowrider
02-13-2003, 11:59 PM
How the hell does the Canadian gov't make money?

speedracer
02-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Sweet. Screw my degree! How do I apply?

lammer
02-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Glowrider

charging GST and PST in most provinces.

szw
02-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by lammer

charging GST and PST in most provinces.

and possibly TAXING people too! hehe

GTS Jeff
02-14-2003, 12:24 AM
by the top income bracket, u are being taxed about 50% of your income....

Weapon_R
02-14-2003, 12:51 AM

The Canadian Government charges higher tax rates. Higher income families are sometimes taxed very high, close to about 48% of their total income. This is much higher than the US tax rates, but not as high as Swedens, which is one of the highest in the world. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, as we receive many services from the government that most countries do not give their citizens. For one, we have employment insurance in case you lose your job and an old age pension when we retire. Secondly, we have universal education and health care that are both rated to be one of, if not, the best in the world. Third, you can see that the government provides many services (yes, that pamphlet is true - unemployed have it good sometimes).

The government also makes money by charging high taxes on gasoline, cigarettes, and liquor. Further, we are taxed on almost everything we buy (except basic necessities) which is set at 7% (GST - General Sales Tax). Most provinces (minus Alberta - we're rich here) charge another 8% PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

Lots of taxes, but we do get a lot of services here from the government that most nations do not get.

Phats
02-14-2003, 01:28 AM
man, and to think, I have been wasting all my time and money on school when I can just do nothing to get paid, sign me up

Glowrider
02-14-2003, 08:27 AM
That was sorta sarcasm guys, I wasn't being serious. Haha.

hjr
02-14-2003, 09:47 AM

funny you should ask. Actually they dont. They/we are in dept up to our eyeballs, and we have gone to war in 55 years. The US has about the same per-capita debt that canada does, if that makes it any better.