PDA

View Full Version : New Places to Race

mroseneder
10-15-2005, 05:52 PM
I've been reading about the recent Race City closures and new places to race. As an active member of the community, I have numerous resources and contacts at my disposal.

After much recent discussion with several members of city council, other active community members, several sworn members of the Calgary Police Service and numerous racers and friends, I've decided to organize a committee/group to actively find a place for us to race in Calgary - legally. I have the support of the aforementioned people, plus a reporter with the Herald and CFCN media.

This being said, I have much research to do and can certainly not tackle this alone. Unfortunately, it would seem that a petition is not enough. I will be drafting a letter to the Mayor and our Aldermen and it will be available for distribution to anyone on beyond, my other car forums and IRL for you guys to edit and modify in any way you like and MAIL IT through snail mail to the Mayor and our Alderman.

I need supporters to back me. And yes, this has been done before. I understand that after the RCMP death because of street racing in Surrey, they have embraced it and taken it to a new level.

Any of those who can contribute any research, time or energy, please email me. This is a serious issue and I am able to outline more details to those people who want to take an active part and provide us a safe place to exhibit our sport.

This will happen.

Mark
[email protected]

NOTE - Can someone make this a sticky thread please?

EK 2.0
10-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by mroseneder
NOTE - Can someone make this a sticky thread please?

done, thanks for taking this on.

Let's support him beyond, we all want a new place to play...

Boosted_TL
10-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for taking this on !!! I will help out in any way I can.

Toms-SC
10-16-2005, 02:29 AM
IN. I should have a gig at the City pretty quick too.

Chris88CL
10-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Count me in. Just let me know what I can do.

mac_82
10-16-2005, 02:40 AM
you have mail :thumbsup:

frostyda9
10-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll help in any way I can :thumbsup: Let us know when you have more details and a finalized petition.

JAYMEZ
10-16-2005, 01:40 PM
I can always help. What kinda stuff do you want us to do? Maybe you should type it on here and we can all have a go at it.. Hell the mayor lives 1 min away from me , we should pay him a visit LOL j/j

bspot
10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Ummm.. didn't race city say they'd remain open for Secret Street? :confused:

Z_Fan
10-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes.

Race City will be open for Secret Streets next year. :)

That came from the guy who owns it.

mroseneder
10-16-2005, 09:13 PM
That's one year. We need a permanent and stable place to race and we need the backing of the city and the local police department to make it safe.

Face it - I work two blocks from Race City. It's on its way out. It is prime land and there are too many residential areas popping up in close proximity. Next year's racing is a short term solution to a long term problem.

Meantime, I'm gathering my statistics. When I have enough evidence to go to the city and media, I am going to. I will need people to be available to speak to the media, possibly join me in meeting with the city and be vocal in their backing of a safe, legal and permanent place to race in Calgary.

I'll also be posting a forum letter that you guys can read, edit and mail to your alderman and the mayor's office. If we EACH send a letter, they WILL get read. Imagine 500 letters... or 1000 letters. I'm sure we won't be ignored.

Mark

Slashin_
10-16-2005, 09:22 PM
u could try to do sumthing crazy like let beyond raise money to lease a new place......if it happen would be sweet

Sorath
10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
im totally backing you

grocko
10-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
im totally backing you

:werd:

What about somwhere near the airport? the land around there seems to still be fairly industrial, and I don't imagine any new residental areas being put in close proximity to it due to the noise.......

ecstasy_civic
10-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by grocko

:werd:

What about somwhere near the airport? the land around there seems to still be fairly industrial, and I don't imagine any new residental areas being put in close proximity to it due to the noise.......

Pretty much anywhere near the airport is spoken for or EXTREMLEY pricey.

Ill back you 100% as well, I can send out MASS emails with DJ Lazy lol

I think this is important in a city the size of Calgary.

freakin
10-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I've got your back. If it'll be of any help, I'll need to do a documentary next semester as part of my course. I've been looking for an interesting subject to do it on. If I were to do it on street racing and how organized, legal events can cut down on it, we could definately send it their way.

PM me if you're interested.

*edit* If this idea of mine goes ahead, we can get some of the local Beyond 'celebrities' some coverage. :)

Hakkola
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Great idea, need any help just say something, I'd love to get involved.

freakin
10-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Well, if I do go ahead with it, I won't be doing anything until February at the earliest. I'll put a post up at that point and anyone who'd want to help with it would be more than welcome to pitch in.

Vypros
10-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I sent you PM!

I'd also be willing to become a supporter for this cause! All the racing everysaturday at bullshits, I'm suprised nobody has been killed yet! I have no issue backing you up at all!

mroseneder
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM
I've received about half a dozen emails from various supporters. Once we have some statistical evidence and can draft a paper, we'll approach the media as a group. That's the plan - stick together, be strong. I'll be drafting that forum letter this week.

By the way, the members of beyond.ca of have been the most supportive of the various car websites I am a member of. Very impressed... Hopefully we can make something happen.

AllGoNoShow
10-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Email'd

Tomaz
10-22-2005, 11:30 AM
this is also an awsome opportunity to get police off our back about the illegals. If toronto has it, and vancouver is starting it up, why couldn't we have it??? The only catch is that i can bet it wont be year round. And i am not sure if CPS will be able to handle the rush. As soon as every ricer, racer, sally hancock, and slut hears of this. They are all going to come down and it will be high. Toronto last year averaged at about 2000 ppl every night they had leagal street nights. Calgary wont be that high, but it will be quite high.

EK 2.0
10-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
this is also an awsome opportunity to get police off our back about the illegals. If toronto has it, and vancouver is starting it up, why couldn't we have it??? The only catch is that i can bet it wont be year round. And i am not sure if CPS will be able to handle the rush. As soon as every ricer, racer, sally hancock, and slut hears of this. They are all going to come down and it will be high. Toronto last year averaged at about 2000 ppl every night they had leagal street nights. Calgary wont be that high, but it will be quite high.

what??

EK 2.0
10-22-2005, 02:37 PM

what??

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/2640/English_Motherfucker_Do_You_Speak_It.jpg

@lchy
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
how/where does toronto/van city run these 'legal street races'?

Sharpie
10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_
u could try to do sumthing crazy like let beyond raise money to lease a new place......if it happen would be sweet
No offence but that would be a really bad idea. I could see it getting ugly quick.

Are you retarded? Honestly do you think that racing down streets is a good idea?

mroseneder
10-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Might be crazy but there has to be somewhere to race. And if the city isn't going to find it, we have too. And we have to bring it to their attention.

Supervised and endorsed street racing on a closed roadway is much better then a bunch of us whipping through traffic at a hundred miles per hour.

Fastguy
10-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Count me in

Mightaswell
10-27-2005, 01:10 PM
How can I help?

Velox
10-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Count Me In

statick
10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm down...Expect an e-mail soon.:clap:

Tomaz
10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
there are some streets that are in better condition than race city. And if they can do it in toronto, vancouver.... why not here? It will keep people safe, and let them have a chance without paying $25 to do 3 runs in a night. Plus there are great turnouts at these things. A good night in TO ranges from 1000 - 3000 cars! I think it's a great idea!

Raz2
11-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Despite Tomaz's lack of English, and his recent run-in with the law/deerfoot - He has a point. In sweden, recently the police started closing off public roads in quiet industrial areas, places that end on a dirt road, with medians, and lots of good things, an ambulance a fire truck and a few police cars are present, everything goes by nice and legal, and just now, i believe a few months ago, they introduced a mobile 1/4 strip :)

I'll see if I can find some vids, but its truly awesome :D Sweden has great roads btw.

Oh, I'd love to help out too, I had a letter in with the city of calgary a few months ago, hope it causes a bit of a stir. Thanks for taking this on, mroseneder - keep us posted on your progress, and inform us/me of anything you need, funds you need raised, departments that need speaking to, just let us know.

- Rasmus

Tha VZA
11-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Raz2
Despite Tomaz's lack of English, and his recent run-in with the law/deerfoot - He has a point. In sweden, recently the police started closing off public roads in quiet industrial areas, places that end on a dirt road, with medians, and lots of good things, an ambulance a fire truck and a few police cars are present, everything goes by nice and legal, and just now, i believe a few months ago, they introduced a mobile 1/4 strip :)

I'll see if I can find some vids, but its truly awesome :D Sweden has great roads btw.

Oh, I'd love to help out too, I had a letter in with the city of calgary a few months ago, hope it causes a bit of a stir. Thanks for taking this on, mroseneder - keep us posted on your progress, and inform us/me of anything you need, funds you need raised, departments that need speaking to, just let us know.

- Rasmus

yeah i have seen these portable christmas trees set up...they are sweet

hopefully there will be a place to race in the next couple years that will be around for a long time

and yes...there are many streets in calgary in way better condition than race city...and its not a bad idea to control it...while its still on the "streets"

ciao

DannyO
11-01-2005, 04:10 AM
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, this really is a great idea, I don't know what I can do, but I'm willing to help, so if you need a hand with anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

:thumbsup:

DJ Lazy
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Ill back you 100% as well, I can send out MASS emails with DJ Lazy lol

Do I know you? :rofl:

DonJuan
11-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by freakin
You've got my back. :rofl:
You got my back too!!.... Seriously, I'll do anything to avoid those dumbasses on Sat night... although I do go down there everyonce in a while?

Idratherbsidewayz
11-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Definitely supporting this cause...

freakin
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
:rofl:
You got my back too!!.... Seriously, I'll do anything to avoid those dumbasses on Sat night... although I do go down there everyonce in a while?

HEHE, thanks I didn't notice that.

Tomaz
11-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by @lchy
how/where does toronto/van city run these 'legal street races'?

Pretty much toronto city police gave up on trying to stop street racing in the city, so they decided to actually make it "safe" for people to race within the city. The way they funded it was a 50/50 split cost between the taxpayers and the racers. Now, racing at this fuction was free... but for $15 you were allowed to race a cop on the strip. If you won, you got a t-shirt that said you could out-run the police! If you lost, well you donated to the fine officers that came out in support of safe street racing.

4DoorGTZ
11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I'll do anything I can to help as well.

For people to get an idea of what portable 1/4mi timing systems cost http://www.raceamerica.com/ has some, optioned out for a 1/4mi cables running outside the lanes run $6500 (assuming $US) There may be others, just did a quick 10sec looksee to let it be known what a portable tree would cost to setup (plus a PC to run it)

Tomaz
11-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Now we are talking too much?? What happened to the ol' fashioned way of flagging with arms? Not even the police force in toronto has a set-up like that. Even though it would be damn cool! :D

riceeater
11-11-2005, 03:08 AM
^^^ yeah this was a big thing when i was in TO. i think that we should start thinking of realistic solutions and throw thmem on the table. it's great that we're behind this guy, but before anyone will take it remotely seriously we need to know exactly what we want, and have a plan with what is the least we'd setle for...

calgary has the great advantage that the roads stay dry in the winter... you still have freezing cold and snow on the grass, but if you wanted to take the summer car out you'd be perfectly fine on the main roads 2-3 days after the storm has passed; so eventhough realisticly, the only way we can have a year round thing is if the track is covered. the cheapest way would be to at least have track and staging area, and the parking lot and drive up to it leave it to mother nature (possible shoveling of course).... i think that'll be good enough already, and could be accomplished at the current facility quite easy...hell, build a freakin cube around it....make it out of clear *fill in glass/plastic* of choice and make it in a way so it can be opened and i think you have an interesting facility, with relatively low expenses

Tomaz
11-11-2005, 09:25 PM
We cant use race city as a facility. The track is slippery, and the foundation is crumbling. Best place to do it is on some of our racing spots at the illegals. If wee host it on a weekend, none of the buisness are open so there is no traffic. Plenty of parking and easy for cops to control.

A790
11-12-2005, 03:36 AM
What we need is a dedicated 1/4 mile. Fuck the illegal shit- at the end of the day, it' sstill a "street racing" thing.

Why can't we use race city's stuff? We use the 1/4 mile... fix it up a bit. No problem.

Tomaz
11-12-2005, 03:13 PM
I am not saying it is street racing... or illegal. If cops could close one of our spots off to race... just like toronto... i would be happy. I am sick of my stock taurus spinning out on the goddamn 1/4 stretch at race city.

AllGoNoShow
11-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by A790
What we need is a dedicated 1/4 mile. Fuck the illegal shit- at the end of the day, it' sstill a "street racing" thing.

Why can't we use race city's stuff? We use the 1/4 mile... fix it up a bit. No problem.

Why can't we use race city's stuff? Because race city has the choice of letting us use race citys stuff, and if they have the choice to let us then they have the choice to upgrade the track so more poeple come out and they don't seem to be wanting to do that. Thats why this thread is about NEW PLACES TO RACE.

Mightaswell
11-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I think someone needs to talk to the Toronto Police, or the organisers of the Toronto event. get the details about how it was organised, what problems they encountered, overall cost, ect.

If we have all this information we have all the work already done for a proposal to the City of Calgary, with the added benifit of seeing what went wrong the first time around.

With a news outlet willing to cover the effort, there should be no problem.

Tomaz
11-16-2005, 12:42 AM
^^^ sounds great.... but who is going to get a hold of Toronto City Police???

Toma
11-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Race City is NOT closing....

I drove by the other day, and they were repaving part of the drag strip... not even a week ago.

AllGoNoShow
11-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Sweet, too bad I didnt get the 99 stang shell, now i really have to find something for next year

BerserkerCatSplat
11-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Race City is NOT closing....

I drove by the other day, and they were repaving part of the drag strip... not even a week ago.

Excellent! Maybe the IHRA deal finally went through! (National event, here we come!) :D

Tomaz
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
You sure??? Casue they just re-strip it of rubber just as the really cold weather hits. Looks like paving, but isn't. But hey, the same idea of sactioned street events... Those ran for free. (unless you wanted to go head-to-head with one of the cops) No money needed. The strip is a great place to go tuning, or find out what you pull. But if i payed $25 for every race that i have done outside of race city... well, there goes me student loan!

soloracer
11-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mroseneder
That's one year. We need a permanent and stable place to race and we need the backing of the city and the local police department to make it safe.

Face it - I work two blocks from Race City. It's on its way out. It is prime land and there are too many residential areas popping up in close proximity. Next year's racing is a short term solution to a long term problem.

Meantime, I'm gathering my statistics. When I have enough evidence to go to the city and media, I am going to. I will need people to be available to speak to the media, possibly join me in meeting with the city and be vocal in their backing of a safe, legal and permanent place to race in Calgary.

I'll also be posting a forum letter that you guys can read, edit and mail to your alderman and the mayor's office. If we EACH send a letter, they WILL get read. Imagine 500 letters... or 1000 letters. I'm sure we won't be ignored.

Mark

Race City has a lease on the land for 20 years and the city has stated they have no intention of revoking the lease. The land is zoned as a "waste facility" so it's not going to residential any time soon. The only real problem with Race City is one of management and money. With the exception of last year Race City has made money every year. With some investment in the facilities and aggressive pursuit of events (Nascar, etc.) they could be making even more. Before you laugh at the Nascar idea think of this - the oval at Race City is the same size as the one at Bristol that gets sold out a year in advance. Also think about how many people show up in Cowtown to watch some cowboys ride a few animals every year. There is no reason they couldn't get the same attendance at a high profile racing event like Nascar. But that would mean that the owner would have to a) invest in the business and b) go out and promote the hell out of the track. He doesn't seem willing to do either and just wants out. I wish I had the 1.5 million to buy the place and give it a run. I know there is a group out there trying to buy Race City but they are like me - lots of ideas but not enough money.

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I think CDRA did buy into it? Any confirmations?

Toma
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
I think CDRA did buy into it? Any confirmations?
I hope so..... then they can go bankrupt within a year, and I can buy it for $500,000 :love:

Go4Long
12-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Toma

I hope so..... then they can go bankrupt within a year, and I can buy it for $500,000 :love:

now that'd be a heck of a place to put the dyno:nut:

mroseneder
12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
As of yesterday, the issue of street racing in Calgary was brought before Ald. Craig Burrows who then presented the information to the City of Calgary and the Calgary Police Service. Current stance is that they are in favor of dedicated and supervised racing and the city is now going to acquire land for that purpose.

If you require any other information, PM or email me.

AllGoNoShow
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
More information, just post it up so we all can read it. If you don't want to, email me everything you know, [email protected] and I will post it up. You will be sending alot fo duplicate emails out.

Tomaz
12-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Finally!!! :clap: This is great news! I am very curious on the updates on our situation. Anyhthing i can do from abroad that will be benificial to our gain I am willing to do.

Good work people!!!

AllGoNoShow
12-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Forgot to mention, I was talking to one of the officers that often does Sat night shifts, seen him out a couple of times and he was saying that Calgary police are heading down to LA to work along side their officers and figure out ways to crack down on street racing.

I said crushing cars and grinned and he said it will probably never get like that here, too many rich oil people would complain. So thats a plus :D although he hadn't been down yet so I couldn't get much more out of him.