PDA

View Full Version : Golden Brett retires??

HoisinSauce
10-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Unhappy with his play, Brett Hull has decided to retire, effective immediately. The third- leading scorer in NHL history, Hull has 741 goat to and 650 assists in 19 seasons with Calgary, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit and Phoenix.

http://nhl.speedera.net/image-upload/hull101505_retirement_pressconference.jpg

AWWW POOR BABY
discuss

mac_82
10-15-2005, 11:18 PM
what do you mean poor baby? keep your jackass comments to yourself. as much as hull may have been hated for his somewhat "charismatic" personality, he was a great goal scorer. not many will ever score more than 741 goals.

anarchy
10-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Don't like him too much as a person, but still a great player. A surprising annoucement but it's a pretty unselfish move for him to make the decision. I have to give him credit for knowing when to step down, unlike Messier who played well beyond his years. Too bad Hull will be remembered for his gift of the gab more than hockey skills.

l8braker
10-15-2005, 11:21 PM
great player! he's not roenick or anything, but he had an awesome one-timer. makes you wonder how things were with gretz coaching??

Mad$ella
10-15-2005, 11:24 PM
He was good, there is no point denying it...
But he has been on a downhill slide for a while now, he's not the player he used to be.

IMO

mac_82
10-15-2005, 11:30 PM
not many players are the players they "used" to be when they are in their later 30s or early 40s. i am sure players like iginla and heatley and thorton will be just the same in 10 years. and that is if they are lucky to last that long and not have to retire early due to injuries and what not.

big_k
10-15-2005, 11:39 PM
i'm not happy about this, had him in my pool :(

likwid
10-15-2005, 11:43 PM
He lost my respect when he denied being canadian and started playing on the US national teams.

mac_82
10-15-2005, 11:50 PM
I thought the story was first year he went out didnt make the Canadian team, so he played on the US team and did ever since?

likwid
10-15-2005, 11:53 PM
No, he became a US citizen and played for them instead.

mac_82
10-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Wasn't he dual because of his parents?

bmeier
10-16-2005, 12:00 AM
he got a bad rap because he did not play for team Canada, but people dont know the whole story.

He wanted to play for Canada but they did not put him on the team.
He then went to the states to play because he had a citizenship in both countries and just wanted to play. who can blame him really thats what i would have done.

anarchy
10-16-2005, 02:02 AM
bmeier is exactly right. Everyone raps on him cuz he played for the US but he was being loyal the only team that gave him a chance.

He tried for team Canada, got cut and was invited to play for the States. So he stuck to his loyalty and has played for them ever since instead of betraying the guys that gave him a shot. He deserves a lot of credit for that knowing full well what people would think of him back home. And who cares if he has a dual citizenship. Lots of players have dual citizenships.

mac_82
10-16-2005, 02:15 AM
Thank you, thats what I was trying to say all along. :D

Mad$ella
10-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by likwid
He lost my respect when he denied being canadian and started playing on the US national teams.

:werd:

bmeier
10-16-2005, 10:15 AM
why dont you read the post above yours, he never denied being Canadian he got cut from the team and when USA offered he a spot he took it and stuck with it.

The problem is people like you who are too quick to judge and dont know all the facts....

Hakkola
10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Never was a big fan, but I respect him for knowing when to call it quits. It's obvious he still wants to play, but didn't want to keep taking a paycheck from the coyotes when it would be better off for them to pay someone who could still play.

bigboom
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
he was always a good player and i respect him for knowing when to quit, the only problem now is that gretzky loses a guy with a lot of leadership ability and i wanted to see him do decent in his first year as coach.

pizalm
10-16-2005, 01:53 PM
It shouldn't affect the coyotes to much, they didn't really have anything with hull and still don't. Sort fo sucks they retired His dads number for him and he retired 5 games later.:dunno:

max_boost
10-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Great player, great competitor, first ballot Hall of Famer.

Wildcat
10-16-2005, 02:12 PM
ive never liked the guy. and its not because of his off ice personality, or the whole US/canada thing. i dont like him because he's a "floater" plain and simple. i hate how he plays the game, thats not my kind of hockey player.

Xtrema
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Sucks for people who picked him in their pool.

HoisinSauce
10-16-2005, 10:44 PM
the least he could have done was atleast finish one season

hockeybronx
10-17-2005, 12:55 AM
My opinion:

Regardless of what came out of his mouth he was a great player, and he did far more talking on the ice then off it.

1269 games played, 741 goals, 650 assists...

He just became a little too out of shape after the lock-out, and Pheonix wasn't what he wanted it to be.

So it's time to move on.

stevieo
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by HoisinSauce
the least he could have done was atleast finish one season

err not really, it would have kinda fucked gretz and the coyotes.. he knew he wasn't doing anything so why just sit and screw your friend over?

duffspec
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
He was just scared of playing against the flames today :D

sexualbanana
10-17-2005, 01:49 PM
He stuck around just long enough for a few poor suckers to choose him :rofl:

Def_3
10-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Couldnt be happier that prick is gone, yes he was a talented player in the past, waaaaaaaaaay overrated in the past few years, including is cheap stanley cup winning goal (probably get flammed for that one) I couldnt stand is personality, redneck comments, wont miss him a bit

Def_3
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
ive never liked the guy. and its not because of his off ice personality, or the whole US/canada thing. i dont like him because he's a "floater" plain and simple. i hate how he plays the game, thats not my kind of hockey player. couldnt agree more, always hating on Canada, wasnt he Canadian originally?

l8braker
10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
Couldnt be happier that prick is gone, yes he was a talented player in the past, waaaaaaaaaay overrated in the past few years, including is cheap stanley cup winning goal (probably get flammed for that one) I couldnt stand is personality, redneck comments, wont miss him a bit

i'm sure he'll be around the game in one way or another. i wouldn't get your hopes up.

Def_3
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

i'm sure he'll be around the game in one way or another. i wouldn't get your hopes up. yeah im sure your right, just keep him off of cbc hockey night in Canada, after is potrayal once he went to st louise

l8braker
10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
^ Fox FSN or ABC for sure.

eb0i
10-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Sucks for people who picked him in their pool.

great for those who didn't :D

I never liked him throughout his career. What made me dislike him even more was his controversial overtime goal in the stanley cup playoffs vs. buffalo.

Even though he is 3rd in scoring overall, to me, he will never be in the same league as Gretzky or Howe. They were true ambassadors of the Hockey spirit.

And what I wonder is why it took him this long to realize he didn't have what it takes anymore to compete in the NHL. He was non-existant in the 03-04 playoffs, and should have retired after the flames beat them.