PDA

View Full Version : Need YOUR help with picking out a new car!

nooffal
10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey All,

I need your advice, being the car gurus you are, on what are some good new cars to look into, considering price, incentives, features, reliability, etc?

Now, keep in mind, I’m not looking for a car to soup up as some of you may do, but simply something semi-nice and reliable. I’ve looked at the Corolla, Mazda 3 and 6, Altima, Galant, etc.

I’ve checked on various various prices at carsdirect.com and other sites and see some of the more expensive ones for me (altima, mazda6, gallant, etc) have some rebates which may make the car affordable for me… I’m not sure though.

Preferably, I’d like to spend around 15,000 but even with a Corolla, once I get the features I want, still ends up to be around 17 or 18k, which makes me think maybe it’s better to get a lower class altima, mazda6, gallant, etc. which would be around the same ball park?

What do you all think? I really need some ideas and suggestions as to what is the overall best buy. And oh, PS, reliability is a very important factor to me.  I can’t afford to get a new car every few years.

Thanks for the all help!

lastprodigy
10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
i dont even know if any of those can be had for so little even i its in the states try mazda 3, civic, or lancer

benyl
10-17-2005, 01:16 PM
do with out the features. features make the car less reliable.

FiveFreshFish
10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Does it have to be brand new? How about 1 or 2 years old that still has full warranty?

nooffal
10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Ehh.. I was wanting a new 2005 or 2006, but of course would consider something else if the deal was right.

PS -- how is the Lancer? Is that a reliable car?

C4S
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow! 17-18K US for those cars?

you are so lucky .. in Canada .. you will be looking at $22-23G US with taxes and all the crap!

What can I say? lucky American! :eek:

how about new Civic? :thumbsup:

nooffal
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I think Civics are nice if you wanna twink 'em out, but as that I don't, I think they're over-priced for what they are (plus, I prefer the corolla look over the standard civic, /shrug)

rc2002
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
If reliability is that important to you then go Toyota. Performance won't be as good as the competition but if will definitely outperform them in build quality.

It won't be touch to find a brand new Corolla in your price range.

hash
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If reliability is that important to you then go Toyota. Performance won't be as good as the competition but if will definitely outperform them in build quality.

It won't be touch to find a brand new Corolla in your price range.

:werd:

Toyota has been critcized for making rather bland-looking cars generally, but they are rock solid in terms of reliability. If you're thinking corolla, another option is to try the 4-cylinder Camry - its not too much more. I would go for it if I felt I needed the extra space and felt safer in a bigger car. I think they also do come standard with a few more gadgets.

403Gemini
10-17-2005, 11:19 PM
actually the corollas sport look pretty freakin sharp. ive considered looking at them.

Vagabond142
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
In my opinion, after driving many cars in recent months, I would have to say for an entry level, new car for under $20K us... the new Civic Coupe is by far the best. Rev-happy engine for the times you want to have a little blat, but otherwise EXTREMELY smooth throughout the rev range, good shifter feel, and very comfy and roomy. Decently sized boot, good gas economy, and high safety rating. Not to mention that it handles very confidently. Steering feel is medium-light but tactile :thumbsup:

I personally don't like the interior of the new Corrolla's but that is just me. There is also the base level Mini to consider if that's your thing, but maintenance for that is BMW priced. Again, I would go with the Civic coupe first (definately go for a test drive, as that will tell you if the car is for you)