PDA

View Full Version : RSX-S vs RX-8 - no mods

kinderhund
10-17-2005, 04:43 PM
OK, so right now I drive an Odyssey. For some reason, my wife wants to use it to transport the kids! Funny that.

So now I need something to get to work (downtown), and have some fun. Also need to pick up clients from time to time, so looks are somewhat important.

Narrowed down to RSX Type S, RX-8, and maybe 06 Civic SI, but the latter is a longshot.

So, what's your pick? Note, I don't intend to mod, so what you buy is what you get.

Also, for those who own and RX-8, what's the rear-wheel drive like on the snow? (Calgary)

lastprodigy
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
i dont know if those cars are comparable at all :confused:

Sorath
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
rx 8 = pos imo, get the dc5, civic dont bother getting a basemodel, wait till next year till like an sir or something

C4S
10-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Do u mean a used Rx8?

if looking at price ... RX8 worths almost twice as a civic .... and 1 1/2 rsx .. and just way better car..not even same class .. it is a nice RWD!

Anyway .. RWD is the way to go, even for winter driving! way .. I mean way better then most FWD! :thumbsup: but Rx8 comes with performance tires, u just need to buy a set nice snow tires!

:thumbsup:

50/50 weight + RWD + good suspension+ traction control => Awesome on snow! :thumbsup:

retro-steve
10-17-2005, 04:55 PM
if you're wondering what RWD is like in the winter just pull the e-brake on any FWD car, you'll basically get the same effect. some people (me being one) prefer RWD in the winter because (my reason) i feel more comfortable controlling oversteer rather than understeer. i learned on RWD, my first car was RWD and my current car is FWD...last winter i hated the FWD and i'm going back to RWD or AWD for my next car because i feel more in control.

some people prefer FWD in winter (if you've ever seen a new RWD owner trying to go uphill on snow you'll know what i mean) and it can be really touchy.

best bet is snow tires for at least the back and if it's sliding a little too much throw some sandbags in the trunk.

my opinion on the cars would be RX-8 just because they look more expensive and i see way too many RSX's on the road.

ricefarmer
10-17-2005, 05:02 PM
RX-8 all the way:thumbsup:
RSX is a dime a dozen

Weapon_R
10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
RX-8 definately. Despite the haters, it's a very well refined car with tons of fun factor. The RSX is okay but there's nothing that sets it out of the crowd.

djayz
10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
rx8
very nice car
great engine
great interior
great sound system
its sporty and luxorious

statick
10-17-2005, 05:14 PM
rx8, for all the already said reasons.

Hakkola
10-17-2005, 05:25 PM
RX-8, not a huge fan of the looks, and it pissed me off that they overrated the engine, which is a big reason why I hate it, however it is a better car than an rsx or civic. If I was a client getting picked up by you, I think I'd want to be riding in the rx-8 out of all of those.

Seanith
10-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by C4S

if looking at price ... RX8 worths almost twice as a civic .... and 1 1/2 rsx .. and just way better car..not even same class .. it is a nice RWD!

Hes talking about a NEW 2006 Civic Si. The ones with the K20. I don't think RX8s are $56,000 lol.

Mokre
10-17-2005, 06:23 PM
if you don't care about guzzling gas in the winter, go for the rx-8. i also would look at how long you plan on owning the car, and the long-term benefits of each.

Teggy2nr
10-17-2005, 06:37 PM
if u gotta pick up clients the 4 doors on the RX-8 should be taken into consideration, and the back seats in the RSX arnt too big

A790
10-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Everyone's clamoring for the RX-8, but I'd actually wait for the '06 Civic Si.

200HP, cheaper than the RSX, and got (in my opinion) looks and performance to match.

Definately a winner. I want one.

A790
10-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
RX-8, not a huge fan of the looks, and it pissed me off that they overrated the engine, which is a big reason why I hate it, however it is a better car than an rsx or civic. If I was a client getting picked up by you, I think I'd want to be riding in the rx-8 out of all of those.

Most Japanese manufacturers overrate their engines. What's 12HP? They recognized their mistake and bought back and reimbursed owners.

Hell, do you even OWN an RX-8 to be pissed off for?

90Tegra
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
how bout u get a tsx :drool:

C4S
10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
how bout u get a tsx :drool:

Good Point!

but for the price of RX 8 .. can buy a TL yeah .. :D

90Tegra
10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
i like tsx's more especially the 6 speed. the most amzing tranny ive ever felt.

guessboi
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
TSX, RX8, TL good choices.

I'll take the RX8 over the TypeS. -> RWD, looks more expensive...

plus the RX8 will stand out in the crowd...and if I am your client, I prefer to sit in a RX-8.

Seanith
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
i like tsx's more especially the 6 speed. the most amzing tranny ive ever felt.

Yeah I was going to say TSX just because it would be a good car for driving around clients.. but for that price range theres so much to choose from. It would suck car shopping right now :rofl:

RB25DET
10-17-2005, 07:57 PM
How about infinity g35 coupe. Its more impressive looking than all of them but i guess it could be a bit out of your price range, but it murders the others. (could go used?)

A2VR6
10-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I basically had the same decision as you for which car to pick. I drove both cars and I felt that both were pretty damn fun to drive. It basically came down to the fact that the RX-8 is a bit more expensive (by about 6 grand). The RX-8 also has a little bit less room to stow stuff out in the back, and of course theres the maintance costs of more gas needed and oil, but really if they're not concerns for you, I would go with the RX-8 espeically if you have to carry people in the back. I personally dont really need to carry people in the back so I went with the RSX-S. Am I happy with the choice I made? Yes. Do I sometimes wish I took the RX-8? Yes. Drive both and see what you like better.

Hakkola
10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by A790

Hell, do you even OWN an RX-8 to be pissed off for?

No, but RX-7 is one of my favorite cars, rotary engine's are sweet. Then, out came the exciting RX-8, turned out it was slow, plus they overrated the motor. Yeah, I think that's pretty gay.

Redlyne_mr2
10-17-2005, 09:25 PM
RX8 is horrible for day to say use. The car uses oil and to fill up you have to unscrew this useless engine cover all the time. Its ugly and built like crap as well. It also barely starts in any weather below - 5 degrees.

4doorj
10-17-2005, 10:22 PM
i love both cars... i had the rsx type s... awsome all around car...
if u want a fun car go with the rx8!!! its almost like my s2k.... rwd... 50/50.... high reving... the only reason i didnt go with the rx8 is the rotary horror storries... but now i hear its not that bad

plus u have traction control.... winter will be simple to drive in

the rx8 will be my second car soon, im hoping next year!!! i just love the way it looks:drool:
plus it can be my family car... considering my s2000 is soooo unpractical

but either car u wont be dissapointed:thumbsup:

max_boost
10-17-2005, 11:46 PM
^^^

The RX-8 is loaded. It's like a refined S2K with all the sportiness, yet with practicality in mind.

It also consistently places first vs the 350Z and S2000 in magazine comparisons. That's worth something.

rockym20
10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I know it isn't on your list, but for this price range, I would take a Charger R/T (god, did I just recommend a Chrysler product???). 5.7L 340 HP V8, but will still get better gas mileage than a RX-8. Four doors with a usefull back seat and a big trunk. It looks like a man's car, not a boy's car (RSX) or a mid-life crisis car (RX-8). All of the recent quality ratings for Chrysler have been much better than in the past. However, I'm sure the depreciation will be horrible, so it would only be a worthwhile buy if you are planning on keeping it for at least 5 years or more.

Team_Mclaren
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by A790
Everyone's clamoring for the RX-8, but I'd actually wait for the '06 Civic Si.

200HP, cheaper than the RSX, and got (in my opinion) looks and performance to match.

Definately a winner. I want one.

06 civic is good. But i would never want to be picked up in a civic.

RX-8 is great if you dont care about paying for gas, better car all around imo.

mcshow
10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
rsx type s are definately a sweet car, as i own one, but trust me on this, it should only be used as a two seater car, there is no room in the back especially if you are going to pick up clinents in this car

IMO i would either go with the TSX or a TL, of if you are really set go with the RX8, they are nice looking cars, and you definately get what you pay for, but it all depends on what you want

at least the TSX or the TL have four doors therefore it allows for clinets to get in and out comfortably without you always having to open your own down to let them out

This has always been a pain in my ass when carrying extra people

Mr. Burns
10-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer
RX-8 all the way:thumbsup:
RSX is a dime a dozen

:werd:

rony_espana
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
If you are going to be transporting customers, I would definately go with a TSK or TL (4 doors) and they have the looks. You also mentioned you own an odyssey which probably means you have kids; 4 doors would definately be better than 2.

10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
RX8 hands down def

iceburns288
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm absolutely in love with the TL. Tons of space and amazing looks!

kinderhund
10-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Great big thanks to everyone for their input.

After much investigation into all the options presented, I took possession of an '04 RX-8 GT yesterday.

Can't get the smile off my face! After having driven it for a couple days now, I agree, much better than the RSX.

So again, thanks to all! I'll share some pics whenever I'm able to get my hands off the wheel.....

-k'hund

4doorj
10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
^sweet congrats!!!

ricefarmer
10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
post some pics:D

silva27
10-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Definitly RX-8

duffspec
10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
:bigpimp: you in the balla club now.:D Good luck with the new ride.

SlowLude
11-02-2005, 12:19 AM
RX-8 rules!! Forget about the haters out there... its not about how many cars you beat, its about how many girls you can pick up! :D Besides, everyone and their mom drives an RSX... nice cars though!

Anyway, my opinion is that the RX-8 looks like a fish, so I had to get the MS kit on it... check it out:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102689&highlight=RX8

4doorj
11-02-2005, 12:43 AM
^your car is beautiful!!!!!!
i know the gas milage is bad... but how many km's do u get per tank?
also how is the reliablity?

kinderhund
11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by SlowLude
RX-8 rules!! Forget about the haters out there... its not about how many cars you beat, its about how many girls you can pick up! :D Besides, everyone and their mom drives an RSX... nice cars though!

Anyway, my opinion is that the RX-8 looks like a fish, so I had to get the MS kit on it... check it out:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102689&highlight=RX8

SL: Already saw your pics on rx8club, but thanks again! Still trying to find time to get picks of mine.

Happy to report that one of my concerns has been alleviated - drove it home in this snow last night. Visibility sucked, but traction with the winters on was no prob.

SlowLude
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
^your car is beautiful!!!!!!
i know the gas milage is bad... but how many km's do u get per tank?
also how is the reliablity?

Gas mileage isn't as bad as some say it is...but isn't great either. I get around 370km-380km/50L tank in the city with conservative driving. The highway isn't that much better at around 400-420kms. The reliabilty has been great for me. I think rotaries are pretty reliable, more so than piston engines if taken care of properly and not turbo charged. But winter is the real test and that remains to be seen. But so far, no issues at all and I'm quite happy with the ownership. It could use more torque, but it's ok... there's not many places to drive fast here anyway and I've seen crazy soccer moms in their Voyagers take on M3s.... and win! :)

4doorj
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
^i heard rx8s are easy to drive in the winter....
i love rx8's:love:

SlowLude
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
^ I think all RWD cars are fun to drive in the winter! I love it! Its good to see that more people are starting to like the 8, as its mostly hated and dissed on all the boards. Too bad the image sucks cuz its a really nice car. BTW, sweet S2K!

heavyD
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I think rotaries are pretty reliable, more so than piston engines if taken care of properly and not turbo charged.

You think wrong buddie. While a well taken care of rotary can last they will last no where near as long as a well taken care of piston engine. Even Mazda engineers will only garentee 150 000 miles on the new renesis engine.

That said you would have to be pretty foolish to choose a Civic RSX Type S over a superior handling rwd car like the RX-8.

SlowLude
11-02-2005, 11:23 AM
^ Sorry, I was referring to the overall reliability. That is, fewer moving parts, fewer things breaking idea, not engine life. Of course, that's theoretical.

4doorj
11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
^ I think all RWD cars are fun to drive in the winter! I love it! Its good to see that more people are starting to like the 8, as its mostly hated and dissed on all the boards. Too bad the image sucks cuz its a really nice car. BTW, sweet S2K!

thank u...
im thinking the rx8 might be my next car... but maybe in a years time they will have the mazdaspeed rx8... i heard its just a reflashed with a body kit...

another thing i like about the rx8 is that it has functional back seats and rear doors....
something my s2k doesnt have ... and u are right... rwd cars are fun in the winter and very safe:thumbsup:

googe
11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
glad you realized the rx8 is obviously superior to an rsx ;) as for your RWD in winter question, its no problem at all. in the end it all comes down to what tires you buy. dont cheap out on good winters :thumbsup:

Kouki R32
11-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Get the 06 Civic Si dude... Its RSX-TypeS Performance for less. Also, it's got factory LSD and newest design of the bunch. Low cost for maintenace. Honda Reliability., Nice power, Great handling LSD is definately a plus! Best resell value.

RSX-S would be a great choice too. But it's already a bit dated design. basically a waterdown Type R in Japan. Less LSD.

RX-8 Would be a great choice. Except when u looking into future maintance cost. It would haunt u. Not to mention. Rotary engines is a bit fussy. In a long run. Unless u want to keep the car for no more than 3 yrs. I would recomend this one.
Otherwise, greatest handling out of the three cars. Power is a bit low. Compare to two of the Honda bros.
(Please don't be fooled by the 238hp it listed)
(S2000 have 240hp. But it hardly pulls ahead of RSX-S at all)

just my 2cents. Hope that helps

gpomp
11-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kouki R32
Get the 06 Civic Si dude... Its RSX-TypeS Performance for less. Also, it's got factory LSD and newest design of the bunch. Low cost for maintenace. Honda Reliability., Nice power, Great handling LSD is definately a plus! Best resell value.

RSX-S would be a great choice too. But it's already a bit dated design. basically a waterdown Type R in Japan. Less LSD.

RX-8 Would be a great choice. Except when u looking into future maintance cost. It would haunt u. Not to mention. Rotary engines is a bit fussy. In a long run. Unless u want to keep the car for no more than 3 yrs. I would recomend this one.
Otherwise, greatest handling out of the three cars. Power is a bit low. Compare to two of the Honda bros.
(Please don't be fooled by the 238hp it listed)
(S2000 have 240hp. But it hardly pulls ahead of RSX-S at all)

just my 2cents. Hope that helps
did you even bother to read the thread before posting? he bought an rx8 a month ago.

Lex350
11-26-2005, 01:52 PM
OK, let's put some myths to rest:

1) The rotary engine is not fussy. The twin turbo rotary engine is. I still see all sorts of first and second gen RX7's on the road. It was the turbo fd's that had some problems. Great car but it was built for a different purpose than the other RX7's and RX8. There are many rotaries on the road with over 200k.

2) Gas mileage. Name me a car that actually meets its EPA rating. The RX8 is not a great car for mileage but not a bad one. I get 18 in the city with my foot to the floor and about 23 on the highway. I'm ok with that. Besides, if one of your main concerns is gas mileage...buy a different car....you're missing the point.
Check to see if the real gas mileage of a Mustang or Charger RT is anywhere near what the EPA rating is.

3) RX8's suck in the winter. - if you keep your performance tires on any car will suck in the winter. Put on winter tires and the car is great in the winter. You have a car with not to much torque, Traction control, stability control, excellent brakes and near 50/50 weight distribution....the only problem I could see is if we had a big dump of snow (clearance)...but we usually don’t get the snow in Calgary like they do out East.

4) The reduction in power thing shouldn't be an issue for you because you know this before buying. The only people that have a right to bitch is the people that bought before they revised the rating. Mazda de-tuned the motor for NA so that the catalytic converter wouldn't burn out prematurely.

IMO the car's power is fine. Is it wicked fast?...no. Is it fast enough for whatever I need it to do in town?...plenty. Besides. The real beauty of the car is its handling and braking. This car is a joy to throw into corners.

5) OIL - this one kills me! Nubs that don't really know shit about rotaries always talk about all the oil you must buy to feed that crazy little motor. I've had the car 1.5 years and have add to add oil only 3 times. Big F*ck'in deal. How often do you check the oil on your car? If you are smart… at least once a month. So what's the big deal to add oil once in a blue moon?

When I went to buy a car I looked at a bunch of cars from sedans to sports cars. My one mandatory option (wife's option) was I had to be able to fit the kids in the car. That meant that cars like the 350z and S2000 were out.

BMW3 series - too pricey for what you got. At 42k I still couldn’t get real leather

Mazda 6 - If the Mazdaspeed 6 was available 274hp all wheel drive) I might have gone for that) Nice car and you can get a fully loaded one for cheap.

Mazda RX8 - bought it

G35 - I liked it....way different character than the RX8. The engine was sweet but it felt heavy compared to the RX8. I also didn’t like the interior. It looked like my dad should be driving this car. I understand that they have upgraded this since then - also 6k more for the same options as the RX8

I never looked at the RSX because it was too small and too many of them around.

My advice is to drive the cars.....that will make your decision more clear.

Cush
11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
What does an RX look like?