PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount the gauges???

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok, so I have a 1991 5.0L coupe, as most of you know.

I have an Autometer Sport/Comp. Boost gauge and an Autometer Sport/Comp. air/fuel gauge. I am not sure where I should mount them???

I already have a dual A-pillar that contains my air ride gauges (one front and one back, dual needle). I could replace the psi gauges with the boost gauge and the air/fuel gauge, but then I have to put the psi air-ride gauges somewhere else. I am not sure what to do.

I am thinking that you can get a gauge pod that takes up your middle two center vents, but I really dont think it looks good, and I think its a pain in the ass to put it in.

Do you think I should get another A-pillar pod and put the air ride psi gauges on the passenger side? Or is there something else like a dash-mount pod that would look good?

Let me know what you are thinking, Thanks.

mac_82
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Is there a dash mount gauge cluster you can put right in the middle? Or above/below stereo unit? Sorry I am not that familiar with mustang interiors.

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 12:44 AM
You can see my interior in this pic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/madsella/100_2772.jpg

mac_82
10-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Is there enough room to move your boost gauges below your stereo head unit, and put new gauges in a pillar?

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
Is there a dash mount gauge cluster you can put right in the middle? Or above/below stereo unit? Sorry I am not that familiar with mustang interiors.

Yeah there is, but it has a space for a big 5" tac too, and I am not too interested in that, plus it sits on top of the dash, above the heating control and vents, and kinda looks out of place. I really want to keep the interior clean and not cluttered but, and I am not really too interested in getting a monster tac either...

:dunno:

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
Is there enough room to move your boost gauges below your stereo head unit, and put new gauges in a pillar?

NO there isn't, I already thought about that.

EDIT: There actually might be just barely enought room, but I dont think it would look clean if they were there.

lastprodigy
10-18-2005, 12:47 AM
mount them in the dash on the passenger side at an angle (coming out from one side) so you can see them as straight ahead from the drivers seat...that is, if you dont mind doing some custom fab.....if you want something a bit easier then go with putting one on each base corner of your cluster

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
mount them in the dash on the passenger side at an angle (coming out from one side) so you can see them as straight ahead from the drivers seat...that is, if you dont mind doing some custom fab.....if you want something a bit easier then go with putting one on each base corner of your cluster

Interesting idea both ways...

I would like to have the boost and air/fuel gauges visable for both passengers at all times, so each side of the cluster may not work for that. But I do like the idea of doing something custom on the passenger side. Keep in mind though, that my stang has a full black interior that is very rare (like 1 is 39 stangs) and it would be nice to keep it as it is without cutting it...

FiveFreshFish
10-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Mad$ella
You can see my interior in this pic...

Mount them right where your keys are sitting on the dash.

infected
10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Yea, put them above the center vents. I've also seen some people mount them on the door, or down by where their knee is...

GoChris
10-18-2005, 08:10 AM
imo boost gauge and a/f should go on the a-pillar, nice to see those while driving....air ride gauges are secondary so put them in the 2nd spot thats not as convenient to look at while driving.

Mad$ella
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
imo boost gauge and a/f should go on the a-pillar, nice to see those while driving....air ride gauges are secondary so put them in the 2nd spot thats not as convenient to look at while driving.

This also makes sense, I am thinking about moving the air ride gauges to an a-pillar on the passanger side. What do you think about that.

I am not too interested in mounting a pod on top of my dash, I think it will clutter up the car, and ruin my black interior.

jaysas_63
10-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Mad$ella

This also makes sense, I am thinking about moving the air ride gauges to an a-pillar on the passanger side. What do you think about that.

I am not too interested in mounting a pod on top of my dash, I think it will clutter up the car, and ruin my black interior.

i don't like the idea of gauges being mounted in the passenger pillar.....i belive that all the gauges should be centered around the driver ..:dunno:.....

l8braker
10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
try and mount them up where the keys are in that pic. maybe an inch or two over to the right. that would stellar. everyone has them on the pillar. :)

hollywood_35
10-18-2005, 12:57 PM
put the boost and a/f in the a-pillar, then with the other two make them so they can be hidden. Maybe just fab up a plexiglass box to hold them, and make it so they mount in your glove box. So whenever you want to see them just open up the glove box and make the air ride adjustments, then close it back up when you're done. That way it doesn't cut up your dash and it doesnt clutter the interior. :dunno:

mutsuraboshi
10-19-2005, 12:11 AM
on ur dash above ur heat registers, or can u not see there

alpineguy
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
autometer had a dash mount kist where you could mount a 5" tach and 2 gauges right where your keys are in the pic. Best buy auto performance might have one or could find one.

mshaw
10-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by alpineguy
autometer had a dash mount kist where you could mount a 5" tach and 2 gauges right where your keys are in the pic. Best buy auto performance might have one or could find one.

this sounds like a good idea, if it was on the passengers a pillar how would you see them anyway?

Hash_man
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Remove your middle vents and put guages there.... Or I dont know how your heater controls work, but if you can, relocate them and put the guages there.

arian_ma
10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
On your hood!
That would be sick :eek:

Sharpie
10-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
On your hood!
That would be sick :eek:
They would get jacked so quick.

infected
10-21-2005, 04:52 AM
There really aint a lot of places for you to place em, maybe just go with what everyone else said about putting them on your a-pillar and then putting the air ride guages somewheere else... like on the passanger side airbag, D1 style :bigpimp:

jdmakkord
10-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Go full custom, order a full set of gauges including the gas, speedo, voltage, etc......and get a panel made to replace your factory set. Would look awesome, and be a lot more functional than random gagues all over your interior.

89coupe
10-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey Madsella,

the A-pillar will be fine. If you are building your car for power, you won't have time to look at your gauges. They will be used more or less for monitoring during cruising speeds.