PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Toyota Yaris

yobi5888
10-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Just wondering has anyone ordered the 2006 Toyota Yaris and if you do, when are you getting your car?

Thanks

JordanLotoski
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Ive got mine on order.....i cant sleep iam so excited..its gonna be suppperrr

Aleks
10-18-2005, 11:41 AM
^ LOL

yobi5888
10-18-2005, 11:42 AM
When is your expected delivery date?

And where did you get it from...as I know Country Hills Toyota already have them on the lot.

Aleks
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic!!!

Redlyne_mr2
10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Did they just rename the echo hatch or is this a different car?

lastprodigy
10-18-2005, 12:02 PM
^ yea, its the same car....just renamed the echo hatch!

hollywood_35
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
That Uncle Yaris guy looks like Kurt Cobain if he would have been a chess player instead of a rock star. The commercials had me wondering what the hell it was for until I finally saw the one that showed the car and then I was greatly disappointed... I hate these damn cars!

Xtrema
10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Did they just rename the echo hatch or is this a different car?

Yaris has always been the name globally. It was renamed Echo hatch when it was introduced in Canada.

With the new model, Toyota decided to align name.

Boostn
10-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Isn't this car also called the Vitz in some of the global markets? For its intended purpose, seems alright as an economical daily driver that sips gas.

toyboy88
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
^^^
i believe so as well it has the vitz name in some markets bcuz in gt3 that's what its called... :D

aln
10-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I just came back from the dealership for a test drive. They told me that the earlier you order this car, the better. They also told me that I "MIGHT" need to wait till December for the colour and options that i wanted. They might be able to get one within the next month if you're not too picky. This car just came out yesterday and 3 or 4 out of the 7 on the lot are sold already.

This is how the naming is set out:

Vitz - Japanese Spec

Yaris - Canadian and European Spec (of course the ones in Europe are RHD)

JordanLotoski
10-18-2005, 09:56 PM
serious whats so great about these cars? i wouldnt be caught dead driving one.

infected
10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
They're cheap, and small... really small.

ToyVitzRS
10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
And really really good on gas

aln
10-18-2005, 10:30 PM
not sure whats so good about these cars. maybe infected is right. cheap and small. they go for 15gs base price and i mean, its built in japan. and i mean 6.9L/100kms? thats pretty good.

Xtrema
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
The problem is, they are neither cheap, fast or save gas.

Price:
Yaris starts @ $14K and tops out @ $19
Civic starts @ $18K and tops out @ $22

Fuel Economy:
Yaris 6.9/5.5
Civic 7.8/5.7

You get way more car with a base Civic VS a loaded Yaris.

So other than that it looks kinda cute (for a 16 yr old teenage girl), I don't see the what the attraction is.

So it ain't cheap, it doesn't save much gas, it doesn't offer much room and it's kinda cute. Loaded @ $15K may be, not $19K.

ToyVitzRS
10-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by aln
not sure whats so good about these cars. maybe infected is right. cheap and small. they go for 15gs base price and i mean, its built in japan. and i mean 6.9L/100kms? thats pretty good.

As being a guy who drives an Echo hatchback, the gas milage is incredible (The most i've gotten on a tank ($30 to fill up err...$40 when the gas was like a 1.12 something) was 625km -- and that's city driving), i know the car has no power but it's pretty much one of those point a to point b type of vehicles.

If you get your Yaris now it'll be built in Japan, that's kinda why you have to wait a while to get a Yaris as it is not mass produced or assembled in places like mexico or canada (like most Toyota's are nowadays)

But i think Toyota built a manufacturing plant in Woodstock, Ontario meaning the Yaris will later be assembled here and you won't have to wait as long.

aln
10-18-2005, 11:09 PM
the thing is people have different taste. i mean, there are a lot of cars that are around the price range of the yaris/echo that i could go for. imo civic and yaris are two different cars unless you are comparing it to the sir hatch. ones a coupe and ones a hatch. and btw they offer a lot of room now due to the rear sliding/tilting seats. might be a "girls" car but its fun to drive. i would agree with you about how much the civic offers (engine, options, comfort) but i would choose japan over canadian built cars

aln
10-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ToyVitzRS

As being a guy who drives an Echo hatchback, the gas milage is incredible (The most i've gotten on a tank ($30 to fill up err...$40 when the gas was like a 1.12 something) was 625km -- and that's city driving), i know the car has no power but it's pretty much one of those point a to point b type of vehicles.

holy crap. $40 dollars for 625kms? you must let tour car roll around a lot. my car is about 38 dollars and i only get close to 500kms

Boostn
10-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention, does it have the instrumentation in the centre of the dash like the Echo? That has to be the worst gauge placement setup ever!

ToyVitzRS
10-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by aln
holy crap. $40 dollars for 625kms? you must let tour car roll around a lot. my car is about 38 dollars and i only get close to 500kms

Yeah this was during the summer.
I even thought something was wrong with my car.

But on regular fill-ups i usually get 525 to 550 depending on how much i use the a/c or the heater.

And let's not get into my winter milage...:thumbsdow

aln
10-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
Oh yeah forgot to mention, does it have the instrumentation in the centre of the dash like the Echo? That has to be the worst gauge placement setup ever!

yes its still in the center of the dash but the new one looks amazing. it matches the center controls but its a bit clustered. it even has a signal telling you that your headlights and fog lights are on.

benyl
10-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by aln

This is how the naming is set out:

Vitz - Japanese Spec

Yaris - Canadian and European Spec (of course the ones in Europe are RHD)

Why would EDM be RHD?

only UKDM should be RHD. the rest of Europe drives on the correct side of the road.

By the way, they do mass produce this car in Japan, it is just that Canada doesn't get much of an allocation.

I get 325km for $50 (48 litres) of 94 Octane... is that any good? ;)

aln
10-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Why would EDM be RHD?

only UKDM should be RHD. the rest of Europe drives on the correct side of the road.

By the way, they do mass produce this car in Japan, it is just that Canada doesn't get much of an allocation.

I get 325km for $50 (48 litres) of 94 Octane... is that any good? ;)

yeah you're right. anyways i guess it depends on which car you drive and how you drive it? :dunno:

ToyVitzRS
10-19-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Oops! Uhh yeah that's what i meant to say :rolleyes:

infected
10-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Who cares about its gas milage, I rather see more of these on the road than those rednecks in their F150's. :banghead:

Zephyr
10-19-2005, 12:13 PM
We're getting the Vitz here too but named Yaris as well. Honda is bringing their Fit to fight it like it is already in Japan. If only Nissan brought the March, then it be the battle of the micro cars.

Mosquito_R
10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by aln

yes its still in the center of the dash but the new one looks amazing.

Do we get the tach/speedo combo as per JDM or just one huge speedo? I'd hate it if it was speedo and gas gauge only as in the early Echos. The later Echo hatches got the tach/speedo combo, right?

IMO, Yaris is a very weird name, although I know that name was on the previous gen car when it was launched in Europe.

aln
10-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Mosquito_R

Do we get the tach/speedo combo as per JDM or just one huge speedo? I'd hate it if it was speedo and gas gauge only as in the early Echos. The later Echo hatches got the tach/speedo combo, right?

IMO, Yaris is a very weird name, although I know that name was on the previous gen car when it was launched in Europe.

this is what the new interior looks like:

http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/yarishb/photos/l_pho2.jpg

i'm not sure if we have the EXACT interior colours but the one i test drove last night had a orangy/red tach and speedo.

CryoCarnage
10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
i loove this car. now if it came 4wd, then it would be my next car.

Mosquito_R
10-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by aln

i'm not sure if we have the EXACT interior colours but the one i test drove last night had a orangy/red tach and speedo.

Thanks for the interior pic. Why I asked was because the US Toyota website shows a Yaris interior with a huge speedo only.

Go to this link (http://toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html?s_van=GM_Homepage_Yaris_txt) and click on the interior pic and you'll see the difference.

aln
10-19-2005, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the interior pic. Why I asked was because the US Toyota website shows a Yaris interior with a huge speedo only.

Go to this link (http://toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html?s_van=GM_Homepage_Yaris_txt) and click on the interior pic and you'll see the difference.

wow thats pretty ugly. yeah the one i posted are the exact ones we have here except its orangy red. i really hope i can get the white gauges in mine.

A790
10-19-2005, 08:02 PM

probabbly an auto

aln
10-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by A790

probabbly an auto

no, auto has tach too. not too sure about LE model trims. the one i test drove last night was RS. didn't get a chance to see the LE trims

yobi5888
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
aln, where did you order yours, when will you be getting it?

aln
10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
tomorrow MIGHT be the lucky day for me. i went to country hills because i live by there. talked to a salesperson named marco chen and hes really nice. he told me that he could throw in some free stuff. if i don't get it tomorrow. hopefully by the winter (december) shipment.

aln
10-19-2005, 10:32 PM
oh i mean i didn't order it yet. i might go back in tomorrow to see how the deals work out. i talked to marco and he told me that the next shipment should be pretty soon. depending on what you want, you might be able to buy a car off the lot. i think country hills has 4 left? either 4 or 3. one was in the shop for tune up because it just landed.

jaysas_63
10-20-2005, 12:18 AM
i HATE the position of that gauge cluster.....(not that i like anything else of this car)

if i were to buy a small car i'd go with something sexy, like a mini....or even something different like a smart, but this is just bland, boring, and ugly......

lastprodigy
10-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
i HATE the position of that gauge cluster.....(not that i like anything else of this car)

if i were to buy a small car i'd go with something sexy, like a mini....or even something different like a smart, but this is just bland, boring, and ugly......

hey smart guy, the yaris is half the price of the smart and mini...get your head out of your ass theyre obviosuly not made for the same people/market

Xtrema
10-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

hey smart guy, the yaris is half the price of the smart and mini...get your head out of your ass theyre obviosuly not made for the same people/market

Same size and 1/2 the price of Mini

Twice the size and same price as the Smart.

jaysas_63
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

does that change the fact that its bland, boring and ugly...... you obviously are missing the point of my post, i am simply stating that its an ugly car, i don't care what demographic they are marketing to, or what the price range of the car is, the fact is the car is boring, bland and ugly.....

btw the smart costs around 16,000......not half the price of a yaris, and the mini is 23,000 also not half the price of a yaris,

why is your post so aggressive in nature, seems like you have some issues bud?:rofl:

69cougar
10-20-2005, 12:33 PM
That's not a Mini. Thats a fooking BMW!

Vagabond142
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
If you want to see a bit of Yaris fun, get the clip from Top Gear where they play soccer with 5 on 5 Yarises/Yarii (whichever :P). They beat em around very harshly and not one breaks.

fendercontender
10-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Boostn
Isn't this car also called the Vitz in some of the global markets? For its intended purpose, seems alright as an economical daily driver that sips gas.

ya, kinda like the civic. only good for its "intended purpose" when stock. echo/yaris can be modded too, theres getting to be a pretty good aftermarket for these cars. with a bit of work, such a light platform for such a good price, they'll really go. there's ONLY one thing wrong with it, torsion beam rear suspension. though in my experience the car still holds its own around the pylons. but other than that, awesome car for price and able to really become a beauty with a bit of work.

1LW RYDE
11-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey Ya ordered the yaris 1 week ago, apparently on route from Japan- delivery date as per dealership unknown- promising mth of november sometime........:confused:

Pihsiak
11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Yah, I was on the fence of getting a HB or a Yaris...

Not a big fan of the front, but i do like how it's longer and it's got a bigger trunk space. I'm 5'8" and my friend is over 6', when he sat in the back behind me, we both had enuff head space and leg room, so i like that.

2 other problems i have with the yaris is how the gage cluster isn't angled towards the driver so I had a hard time looking at the tac or the speedo when I test drove it. The seats had a real headrest so that was a plus, but it felt too "high". It felt like the shift knob was too far for my reach...

and GOD! that fabric in the LE model.... That's just forcing you to buy the RS...

The guy I was talking to in Country Hills says that in about 3 months they are gonna be bringing over the Yaris sedan to replace the whole echo line...

After the test drive, I'm still on the fence... The HB was only out for 2 years and I feel is it is easier on the eyes and might become rare in a few years...

fendercontender
11-20-2005, 02:07 PM
i only wish we got the t-sport pictured in the link above. love those!

chris
11-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by aln
European Spec (of course the ones in Europe are RHD)
only in the UK and ireland, europe is lhd

GQBalla
11-20-2005, 09:42 PM
my future- brother in law ordered one dunno when it will arrive though!

its his first car that he bought brand new!

dresden_k
01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
I realize that this post is already two months old, but I'm posting anyway.

I'm ordering a bright orange Yaris from Charlesglen tomorrow morning.

It's not my favorite car by any stretch of the imagination, but how I chose from the list of nearly 15 cars ranging from a WRX to an Eclipse to an RSX to this, I figure if I get the Yaris I can afford a brand new motorbike next summer and STILL save some money on gas year round.

Sure I'll be driving a car some of you think should be piloted by a 16 year old girl, but when the snow melts and they clean up the gravel I'll be riding a litre bike with a full exhaust.

It does come down to personal taste. If I didn't ride I would either want a better car that I could easily modify (or, just a better car I wouldn't really need to modify). It's a "cute" method to get from A - B. The second car is the dash in between the A and the B.

<shrug> Sure a Civic is a few thousand more and you get "more car" but is it really any better for me? Would I really be satisfied with a base Civic? No, I think it would be worse. I think because I know the Yaris is pretty well as it will always be (sure you can get rims and an exhaust, but why bother) I will never bother even considering upgrading it. The Civic is what the Civic always has been to me - a car in dire need of almost every single part anyone has ever made for it.

[edit: I don't mean to bash on the Civic - what I meant to get across is that I think the car has potential to be better, whereas I would never consider doing a single thing to the Yaris. The Civic can be cheap transportation or more. The Yaris is just and only will ever be an economy car, *to me*.]

My two cents. Sorry to revive a dead thread. Deal with it. :)

GQBalla
01-07-2006, 01:35 AM
well i think youll love this car!

my future brother in law says this a great car handles pretty decent fun to drive and saves massive gas!!

he told me that he went 700 km's and still had about 3 bars left.

he told me he wanted to fill it up because this was when the snow was fallin!!

calgarygts
01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I test drove one of these a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually came very close to signing the papers after the test drive and playing around with it a bit. I liked the gauge cluster in the middle of the dash, the driving was nicer than I expected and I actually like the way they look.
There are a lot of guys who are too 'manly' to drive one, but I like the yaris.

FiveFreshFish
01-07-2006, 09:50 PM
^^^ What changed your mind about buying the car?

fendercontender
01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
i find it interesting dresden that you say a civic has the potential to become way more than an economic car, but the yaris could never be? i fail to see why my echo hatchback couldn't become anything the civic can become. these lil bastards have a ton of potential. a featherlight against the civic as well. base civic to base echo, youv got even competition. its just that a lot of males have a masculinity complex and need to have a mustang or DSM to be macho. ;) just kidding.

calgarygts
01-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
^^^ What changed your mind about buying the car?

I'm in the middle of looking for my first home so I wanted to get a car that I could just buy with cash and not have any payments on. The Yaris would have been very low payments but I chose instead to go with no payments.
I ended up buying a 90 alltrac so I'll probably end up making payments each month on parts anyways!!!

CryoCarnage
01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
yaris 5 speed is very awkward for me. im 6'5'' and when i sat just to clear the steerign wheel, the shifter felt soooo werid where it was placed. but not nealy as bad as the toyota corolla XRS i test drove. Good Hp for the car but shifter was awkwardly placed and shifted like a c5 corvette (very clunky). but cool car i guess.

Godfuader
01-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
yaris 5 speed is very awkward for me. im 6'5'' and when i sat just to clear the steerign wheel, the shifter felt soooo werid where it was placed. but not nealy as bad as the toyota corolla XRS i test drove. Good Hp for the car but shifter was awkwardly placed and shifted like a c5 corvette (very clunky). but cool car i guess.

Thats the only thing that is quite off in the car. I can't shift the gears if the arm rest is down. Think need to implant a long-shift kit or something. otherwise, it is a great car, Hella economical, perfect for city commute, and feels like a go-cart. I work for Country Hills Toyota, and these things sell like hot-cakes.

sgouki
01-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
serious whats so great about these cars? i wouldnt be caught dead driving one.

What's so great about this car? Boy you must judge solely on appearances and/or specs!
If you follow top gear or best motoring they did a review for this car as yaris and vitz respectively.
What is so great about this car is it's potential because of it's great balance! It is a shame that the 4wd didn't make it here but the fwd's are the ones with the outstanding review.

Search up the Yashio Factory Vitz...that car can give the silvias and rx7s a run for its money on the track!

Nissanaddict
01-09-2006, 02:28 AM
If you don't buy a car because it's not your kinda car, that's cool. If you don't buy a car because it's not "manly" you need to go get some things worked out. :P Whoever here bought a Yaris, and is happy, congrats. I don't like em....but as said, better those than more trucks.

pbrandt
01-09-2006, 10:23 AM
I ordered an Orange Mica 5 door LE on December 3, 2005. I have been told it will arrive on January 25, 2006.
The dealer has told me that they are now letting people ordering that it will likely be 3+ months to get one in now, and once they begin selling in the US this spring, could be much longer wait.
I am thankful I ordered mine when I did.

HRD2PLZ
01-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I haven't driven one (I am not in the market for a econo-car) but if I was, I woudl definitely give the Yaris a look. I would buy it hands down over a Civic. But I am a Honda-hater haha. I think the Yaris represents a perfect commuter car. Inexpensive to purchase and run, easy to park and Toyota reliability and resale :thumbsup:

403Gemini
01-09-2006, 11:51 AM
whats with all these "Future brother in laws" haha my "Future brother in law" (well NOW my brother in law) got one, i dont like the car itself. as said by a few users, its fairly bland, but in the interior i was actually pretty impressed that it was larger than what is expected. smooth ride, tight handling, just sounds like a go kart :D fun car for a daily driver though and cheap on gas

Hakkola
01-09-2006, 11:54 AM
What were they thinking with that gauge cluster? :banghead:

finboy
01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by aln

my jetta gets that mileage and it was free :dunno:

honestly i'd just take a base civic over one of these, better mileage, more room, and it doesn't have the guage cluster in the middle of the car. not to mention it doesn't feel like you are trapped inside a giant fish bowl

Drsuce
01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
the fuel econ above dosent seem *that* great.... driving a v8 i can still sneak 400k out of $40...... i think the yaris looks pretty good for what it is, and would definitly take one over a civic :)

not too sure about the guage cluster tho

heavyD
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by finboy
and it doesn't have the guage cluster in the middle of the car.

Instead the Civic has an abomination of some a two tiered tach and speedo that depending on your height you may be able to see one or the other. I would take a Toyota over a Honda for better reliability.

yobi5888
01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Can't believed people are still on this thread.

Anyway, I got my Yaris in Nov, 2005. and I like it.

fendercontender
01-09-2006, 06:22 PM
thankyou to all who can see the potential of toyotas smallest line. around north america there are some amazing echos setup for track/autocross within most people's budget that can out-corner the best of them. im slowly working on mine. kinda balancing it between showy and autocrosser. but so far with springs, shocks, strut bar and a couple extra horsies, i get a lot of comments from people suprised at how well the car does around the pylons. even have a trophy :D