PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Mercedes B-200 Turbo

max_boost
10-18-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2006/mercedes-benz/b-class/06b150_1.jpg

Kevin Fong from Hyatt Mercedes came by my shop earlier today to show us the new Benz B-200 Turbo. I love this concept from MB. 99% going to pick one up in Comet Grey Metallic.

Engine:

2,034-cc 2-valve inline-4 turbo.
190hp@5000rpms
206 lb-ft torque @ 1,800 - 4,850 rpm :burnout:

Interior:

Spacious, comfortably seats 5 adults. Rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. Typical, quality Mercedes Benz design :thumbsup:

I took it for a quick drive on Glenmore and I am impressed. This car only weighs 2800llbs and you feel the instant kick the moment you step on the gas. I love this beast, very nice, very practical, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sorry for the shoddy review, you can read more about it on the following links.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=4969
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/06b200.htm

Xtrema
10-18-2005, 10:55 PM
First of all, somehow it reminds me of PT Cruiser.

2nd, at $35K with a pretty skimpy feature list, no thanks.

t-im
10-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

2nd, at $35K with a pretty skimpy feature list, no thanks.

Exactly - option it out (not even extensively) and you can easily get a 06 C230. Yes, I realize that both cars serve different purposes, but..paying 40 something for a bargain basement B class? no thanks.

lastprodigy
10-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Functional, yes. However that car ruins the benz name nad prestige more than the Smart IMHO.

max_boost
10-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I definitely don't think it's a bargain, you can get much more for $39,500+GST. But, someone has to get suckered to buying these things :D

Lexxan
10-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Lol what an ugly piece of shit. You're joking about buying that right?????

statick
10-19-2005, 06:19 AM
i actually really like these cars, perhaps pick up a used one in a couple of years.

benyl
10-19-2005, 07:42 AM
I love how you guys all come to the conclusion that it is a piece of shit.

Maybe you should all try one and then see what you think. I have driven an A-class MB and it is quite nice.

Man, why is everyone so afraid of something different? It isn't exactly ugly like an Aztec.

infected
10-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Looks more like a Matrix/Vibe to me. :dunno:

ZorroAMG
10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
^ Well said Benyl.....some of these drones on Beyond post like it's high school.

I don't mind the B class, saw it last week at Lone Star....

Das_Amaretto
10-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I hope this is at least 100% Mercedes, and not shared with some other low-end machine (PT?).

Can't say the same for the shitty new Mercedes Pacifica theyy're just rolling out now. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

l8braker
10-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
Functional, yes. However that car ruins the benz name nad prestige more than the Smart IMHO.

haven't they been "ruining the benz name and prestige" in europe with these small cars for some time now?

rc2002
10-19-2005, 03:21 PM

I was thinking Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix...

lastprodigy
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

haven't they been "ruining the benz name and prestige" in europe with these small cars for some time now?

so much gets lost in typing, what i mean is that to the classic benz owner who has a an S500 or what not ...the person with a B200 also has a benx...amking more affordable and affordable models its better for the maufacturer (probably)...but brand prestige is probably important as well...

Boosted_TL
10-19-2005, 03:59 PM
How could you like this vehicle? Yes its different and thats neither good or bad. Yes it has a Turbocharged Motor and MB's Quality Manufacturing, but it also has the shape of a Toyota Yaris

Even without driving the car my opinion is :thumbsdow

Orbie
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I love how you guys all come to the conclusion that it is a piece of shit.

Maybe you should all try one and then see what you think. I have driven an A-class MB and it is quite nice.

Man, why is everyone so afraid of something different? It isn't exactly ugly like an Aztec.

You got to admit Benyl, not many people like to buy cars that they can't stand the sight of. Exterior looks is all a part of the car buying process. In fact I'm sure people have bought cars JUST for the exterior look, nevermind quality, interior, performance etc. Anyways I'm sure for the 5 or so people who have posted that they hate it, there are 5 more out there that will love it. Someone's taste in aesthetics can't really be changed by argument anyways...no matter how logical.

Personally it doesn't appeal to me but I can see people buying them. The same people that buy Vibe's, Matrix's etc. but want a more sophisticated look. I like the engine though, sounds like it will have more then enough juice for some fun driving.

l8braker
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

so much gets lost in typing, what i mean is that to the classic benz owner who has a an S500 or what not ...the person with a B200 also has a benx...amking more affordable and affordable models its better for the maufacturer (probably)...but brand prestige is probably important as well...

i thought thats what ya meant :) chrysler's influence is cheapning the brand for sure. not to go off here :D but there is a couple in our neighbourhood in the sw with a red benz C230... they back in into the garage to show off the star and grille to everyone... and the guy drives around like its a cl600.:D

lastprodigy
10-19-2005, 05:10 PM
lol ya..damn posers....haha reminds me of that bmw 320i pimp on here haah

JordanLotoski
10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

i thought thats what ya meant :) chrysler's influence is cheapning the brand for sure. not to go off here :D but there is a couple in our neighbourhood in the sw with a red benz C230... they back in into the garage to show off the star and grille to everyone... and the guy drives around like its a cl600.:D

ive got a c230 sport sedan...and ill tell u this..it is what it is...pretty much a low end mercedes..decent car but no CL thats for sure.

lastprodigy
10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

ive got a c230 sport sedan...and ill tell u this..it is what it is...pretty much a low end mercedes..decent car but no CL thats for sure.

hey its an awesome car as long as you dont pimp iit like its a CL!

benyl
10-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

You got to admit Benyl, not many people like to buy cars that they can't stand the sight of. Exterior looks is all a part of the car buying process. In fact I'm sure people have bought cars JUST for the exterior look, nevermind quality, interior, performance etc. Anyways I'm sure for the 5 or so people who have posted that they hate it, there are 5 more out there that will love it. Someone's taste in aesthetics can't really be changed by argument anyways...no matter how logical.

Personally it doesn't appeal to me but I can see people buying them. The same people that buy Vibe's, Matrix's etc. but want a more sophisticated look. I like the engine though, sounds like it will have more then enough juice for some fun driving.

Agreed. Your response is much more mature than simply stating it is a piece of shit.

iceburns288
10-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I couldn't drive anything I hated to look at...

lastprodigy
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
ps waiting on brabus version :nut:

/////AMG
10-20-2005, 04:59 AM
^^ Already one!

http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic01.jpg http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic02.jpg
http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic06.jpg http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic05.jpg
http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic04.jpg http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic03.jpg
http://www.brabus-online.de/pic_prog/22pic12.jpg

B 200 Turbo

* BRABUS T1 performance kit. 223 hp / 164 kW, 310 Nm at 4,000 rpm.

B 180 CDI

* BRABUS PowerXtra D2 (III) performance kit. Also for cars with Diesel particle lfilter. 34 hp / 25 kW extra power, 50 Nm torque increase.

B 200 CDI

* BRABUS PowerXtra D3 (III) performance kit. Also for cars with Diesel particle lfilter. 50 hp / 36.8 kW extra power, 50 Nm torque increase.

lastprodigy
10-20-2005, 05:49 AM
ok the regular one is nasty but the brabus is damn nice....but probably like 70K:nut:

infected
10-20-2005, 07:47 AM
The Brabus version is nice.... :eek:
(The 2nd set of rims on there look like my old set of winter rims... hmmm, maybe I can just get different center caps ):thumbsup:

A_3
10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
I really like the Brabus version and stock it isn't too bad. I just can't shake the feeling that the price is a little high. IMO this car is made for a younger crowd, i'm sure a few 35+ year olds will drive it but I can't see it being a huge hit with them, especially in N.A. with relatively cheap gas prices. If it is competing for market share of the youngr crowd it's going right up against VW Golfs, the new 5 door hatch back Civic they are releasing and as said above Matrix's and Vibes. All the cars being worth considerably less money. I agree that Mercedes has one hell of a name, and a good build behind it, but I don't know if it justifies being worth 5-10 grand more then it's competitors. It will be interesting to see if it sells well in North America.

cs47
12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
damn is it really that bad
im looking into getting a used B200T
a white one

Ekliptix
12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/20fswp3.jpg

XylathaneGTR
12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
http://i29.tinypic.com/20fswp3.jpg
:rofl:

Weapon_R
12-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Not a bad time to bring back discussion since it's been out a few years.

max_boost
12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
So update, haha

The 1% came through, my dad didn't end up getting one.

Edit: 2.5% lease rate up 39months! Fully optioned out at $43K+freight/pdi+taxes.

sergejsk2
12-08-2008, 12:27 AM
haha my mom owns the b200 Turbo... loves the thing
i took it for a spin before, have to say it is pretty quick, but again not the most attractive car.

Xtrema
12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I sat in a B and C in an auto show. The interior really puts me off. It may drive well but I'll rather go for an A3 if I want a low end wagon. 2.0T with DSG and decent interior. Why would someone pick the B instead of A3 other than for the badge?

And dman, I had no idea this is a 3 year old thread already. Time flies. :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
12-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Wow how times have changed. You can get so much car for 40grand these days.

Quickstrike
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Why would someone pick the B instead of A3 other than for the badge?

Why? Because the B200 has waay more interior space.
Smaller footprint than a C-class, while having more interior space than an E-Class.

If you sit in the rear seats of both, you will immediately know how they differ.

I think it also has double the cargo space of the A3, but it has been awhile since I have looked at the figures.

The A3 would be suitable for a bachelor or young family, but it gets a little tight if you want to drive any decent sized teenager/adult.

I know much of this forum is made up of shorter Asian people, so the above might not apply to you. In that case the A3 would prove to be a more fun, better handling car.

sillysod
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I think the B class should come with little cotton balls so you can clean the little traingle in the front grill.

Plastic hubcaps, cloth interior, but its a BENZ yo!

chkolny541
02-23-2009, 07:04 PM
ewww

Generic
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
terrible car, for 40 grand? what a joke.

rage2
06-02-2011, 11:59 PM
So did the price on the B200's drop? I optioned the turbo out with everything (incl. the metallic paint) and got $35,790.

My gf is looking for a new car, and the finance and lease rates are awesome. 0.9% on both, high residual for the lease making monthly payments low (she likes the idea of changing cars every few years). $610 for finance, $500 for 36 month lease, $430 for a 48 month lease. Seems like really good bang for the buck.

We looked at some other cars in the segment, and they were way more expensive due to either high interest rates or low Residuals. The only nice to have options that's missing is keyless entry/start and bluetooth (RVR has those but the sunroof oddly enough doesn't open, and is a bit lacking in power which was our only complaints).

Just curious what other cars you guys are comparing to in this segment that makes the B200T that bad?

max_boost
06-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I definitely don't think it's a bargain, you can get much more for $39,500+GST. But, someone has to get suckered to buying these things :D

Originally posted by max_boost
So update, haha

The 1% came through, my dad didn't end up getting one.

Edit: 2.5% lease rate up 39months! Fully optioned out at $43K+freight/pdi+taxes.

Originally posted by rage2
So did the price on the B200's drop? I optioned the turbo out with everything (incl. the metallic paint) and got $35,790.

My gf is looking for a new car, and the finance and lease rates are awesome. 0.9% on both, high residual for the lease making monthly payments low (she likes the idea of changing cars every few years). $610 for finance, $500 for 36 month lease, $430 for a 48 month lease. Seems like really good bang for the buck.

We looked at some other cars in the segment, and they were way more expensive due to either high interest rates or low Residuals. The only nice to have options that's missing is keyless entry/start and bluetooth (RVR has those but the sunroof oddly enough doesn't open, and is a bit lacking in power which was our only complaints).

Just curious what other cars you guys are comparing to in this segment that makes the B200T that bad?

Wow looks like the price did go down about $2500 and not only that, some of the things they use to charge are now standard i.e. Autotronic, heated seats, powered seats. I haven't looked at this car until now haha

I need to pick up another daily driver and this car looks very tempting right now. :eek:

ExtraSlow
06-03-2011, 06:44 AM
I hear this thing has a huge back seat. Anyone know the legroom specs?
Carseats are a pain . . . .

rage2
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
It's supposed to have the most legroom in the Mercedes lineup with the exception of the r class.

benyl
06-03-2011, 07:44 AM
I think the car is end of life and due to be replaced with a new model. Probably why it is so cheap, or well optioned for what you are paying.

I got one as a loaner when getting my car serviced. I liked it more than the C250.

As for car seats, we have to buy another car cause nothing fits in the back of the C63 without putting the front seats all the way to the front! haha The B class definitely has more room.

rage2
06-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by benyl
As for car seats, we have to buy another car cause nothing fits in the back of the C63 without putting the front seats all the way to the front! haha The B class definitely has more room.
Put the car seat in the middle. I have zero probs in my C. It also has the best seat in the house for the DVD haha.

But ya, with a car seat being a major factor the b200 looks pretty sweet for the price.

benyl
06-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, that is where it is now. I still have to have the drivers seat more forward than I like.

rage2
06-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Anyone up for a group buy? lol

ExtraSlow
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
carseats are so friggen huge, and rear facing bucket seats are ridiculous.
I only have to deal with one right now, but within the next couple years, I'll eb getting a second . . . :banghead: :love: :confused:

rage2
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
carseats are so friggen huge, and rear facing bucket seats are ridiculous.
I only have to deal with one right now, but within the next couple years, I'll eb getting a second . . . :banghead: :love: :confused:
I'm going to go check out the B200 today and I'll let you know how the rear seats look.

max_boost
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Nice. If I didn't already have a FWD hatch I'd be all over this deal but considering how much I drive, if the deal is right, B200T is still possible lol

benyl
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes, cause you need another car! lol

rage2
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Just checked it out at Hyatt. They're givin' these things away, got a nice discount off MSRP without even asking.

The rear legroom is insane. Front seat adjusted to fit me comfortably, sat in the back, had a foot of space between my knees and the back of the seat! I did the same thing in a ML63 and only got about 3 inches of space between the seats and my knees.

You can easily fit 2 car seats in the back and have tons of room.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Rage. The back seat on the Mazda3 is fine for a person, but with a carseat, you can't put anyone in front of it. Noone with legs anyway.

rage2
06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm 6'2" btw, so I think you can fit a 7' driver and a 7' passenger right behind him and he'll still not hit the seats lol.

It's got similar rear seat space as the damn Maybach that I sat in a few years ago hahaha. Pretty impressive.

max_boost
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Whoa did you close the deal already? Can you PM the details? haha what colors/options were available?

:D

rage2
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Hyatt:
Metallic Silver
Red

Lone Star:
White
Black

No metallic white or black available since demand for those colors ($900 more) is very low.

The only option on the car would be the Avantgarde Edition Package at $2500 which loads it up with everything from the 2010 model. The items are:

- 17" 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels
- Heated front seats
- Media interface (with iPodŽ, USB and auxiliary connections)
- AUTOTRONIC automatic transmission
- Power-adjustable front passenger's seat
- Power-adjustable driver's seat
- Panoramic lamella sunroof

Maybelater
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I actually really like this car. I don't know about a new model but an AMG model is underway.

rage2
06-04-2011, 12:35 AM
This is the last year for this model. No AMG version. Highly doubt they would do one for the next gen either, FWD platform.

You were probably thinking of this:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/324423/mercedes-benz-b55/

Disoblige
06-04-2011, 12:57 AM
I like how the finance options let you do 60 months @ 0.9%.

Also, I'm wondering if the Panoramic sunroof is worth the $1600.

Pretty tempting..

ExtraSlow
06-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Any idea what, if any, major changes are on the way for 2012?

Cos
06-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I can just never get past the looks. The ride must be amazing though.

rage2
07-04-2011, 12:42 AM
So picked up the B200T last week. Car's really nice, feels as fast as the GTI. TONS of room. Awesome car. Decided to pay cash instead of finance/lease, since this is prob going to be a keeper. CVT doesn't feel like a CVT, and the ride is so smooth. I'm too used to the suspension on the C63 and the black series, so it's a nice change to actually not feel every bump on the road.

Jared @ Shadow Tint threw on the full impact area 3M package for me, nicely protected from rock chips. Covered up the hood, bumper front fenders, and mirrors. Can't even see the 3M on there. Wicked job!

Haven't had a chance to break her in yet, weather's too nice. :D

Hakkola
07-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Nice dude, any plans for it?

Sky
07-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Nice pick up Rage, I see you just can't pass on the deal with those B200s... looking forward to your pics of the car.

^ I've never seen any of rages cars left completely stock... let me guess, wheels first. :bigpimp:

rage2
07-04-2011, 06:58 AM
I was gonna get wheels for it, but she already comes with AMG wheels. Not really a whole lot of mods available for the car, so she might stay relatively stock for a while.

Of course, that isn't the first time I've made such a comment and went crazy on mods lol.

bigbadboss101
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
So picked up the B200T last week. Car's really nice, feels as fast as the GTI. TONS of room. Awesome car. Decided to pay cash instead of finance/lease, since this is prob going to be a keeper. CVT doesn't feel like a CVT, and the ride is so smooth. I'm too used to the suspension on the C63 and the black series, so it's a nice change to actually not feel every bump on the road.

Jared @ Shadow Tint threw on the full impact area 3M package for me, nicely protected from rock chips. Covered up the hood, bumper front fenders, and mirrors. Can't even see the 3M on there. Wicked job!

Haven't had a chance to break her in yet, weather's too nice. :D

That's quite a collection of MB!

3M at Shadow. What kind of $ are they charging for that sort of coverage?

rage2
07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
That's quite a collection of MB!
MB should be giving me cars for free for all the promotion I'm doing! :rofl:

3M at Shadow. What kind of $ are they charging for that sort of coverage?
Depends on the car. They're a phone call away. Talk to Jared, ask for the Beyond price.

Cos
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Any photos of it after the tint?

bigbadboss101
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I assume it's never good to take the packages (paint protection, 3M, tint, etc) the dealer offers.

The B200T seems pretty powerful for a light car. Rented a C250 and it looks sweet but at 201hp it feels slow.

Pics of the cars side by side?

Xtrema
07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I assume it's never good to take the packages (paint protection, 3M, tint, etc) the dealer offers.

It depends but I would say most of time you just get random guys doing it while costing same or more with quality sometime questionable.

At least taking it to Jared, you know who you are dealing with.

Sky
07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
dealt with shadow tint for many years since when Nuno(owner) did the work himself and after many cars, I think they still do one of the best 3M and tint work around. Their cut is just more precise for 3M or tint...

AndyL
07-04-2011, 04:20 PM
If only it came with the CDI engine in canada...

blitz
09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Bump!

Just test drove a B200T as a potential DD. How has yours held up Rage?

rage2
09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
It's great. Fits as much stuff as an SUV, pretty peppy with 200hp, and good on gas (averaged 10L/100km so far). We drive the B and the BS pretty much 50/50, and always take the B on road trips. One of the best road trip cars IMO.

Complaints, the CVT makes acceleration uneventful. Floor it and it revs and stays at 5500rpm and just pulls. Brakes aren't made for me, drove it hard on some back roads and you can smell the brakes lol. Suspension could be stiffer, but I'm just nitpicking now trying to pretend its a sports car haha.

HiSpec
09-04-2012, 11:40 PM

Depends on the car. They're a phone call away. Talk to Jared, ask for the Beyond price.

What kind of 3M product did Jared used? Was it by 3M? or a 3M-like product?

K3RMiTdot
09-04-2012, 11:52 PM
^^http://www.shadowtinting.com/services/paint_protection_film.php

3m

blitz
09-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks Rage.

I'm tempted to just wait for the 2013 now though. The DCT + increased torque + better interior + lower base price really makes it attractive.

rage2
09-05-2012, 07:45 AM
We're probably upgrading to the new B after the first or 2nd year gremlins are worked out. The interior is 100x nicer in the new model. It'll be the B250 with a little more hp as well as the 7 speed DCT.

My dreams of the B45 AMG have been dashed, AMG confirmed to me that it's not happening. :(

blitz
09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
That sucks, would be a nice little sleeper.

Was looking at a 2010 @ Hyatt. 25k on it, no leather or power seats, and I found out it was their demo. They want $27k for it, but I don't think I could go over $23k based on the new generation being a lot more bang for the buck.

blitz
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Got them down to a level I was happy with. Love this little car!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7978620402_ba3acdb586_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryankarr/7978620402/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryankarr/7978620402/) by ryankarr (http://www.flickr.com/people/ryankarr/), on Flickr

rage2
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Congrats! It's an awesome car for the money!

Quickstrike
09-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Meh. My parents own a B200 Turbo. The steering is more boosted than my grandmas Crown Victoria. The pedals are about as soft as you can get.

In terms of driving experience, their Smart Car Diesel is more fun to drive - much slower, but at least you can feel a little feedback in the steering wheel as you corner.

Very numbed down tactile experience. The roominess and CVT tranny are great for around town. Just not something I enjoy driving.