PDA

View Full Version : who works at the rigs???

Pages : [1] 2

unfocus
10-20-2005, 11:21 PM
hey can someone help me get a job at an oil rigs i prefer precission drilling

i been searching around but came up with nothing and i been wanting to work up in the rigs ....

so if there are some beyonders out there that works at the rigs is there anywasy you guys can give me a number i can call or somethign to send resume or sign up whatever... thanx...

please pm me if u have contacts or know that are hiring cause i would lie kto start working soon....

for the people wondering why i wanna work at the rigs soo bad just mind ur own business... it just has somethign to d oiwth finacial problems thanx...

Tha VZA
10-21-2005, 01:07 AM
rigs rule...loved it this summer...

couple tips

try to get another company...although since weatherford bought out PD it might be different...

stay away from Brooks...everything is run like the 70's down there regarding safety etc

don't do drugs!!!:thumbsdow

sorry i dont have many "contacts" per say to help you out

ciao

DB2
10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
just wonder what they paid when you work on the rigs....is it worth it or is the labour and long days a killer...

KLCC
10-21-2005, 01:20 AM
you make crazy money while working in a rig.....
I think at least 60k a year if not more, but I could be wrong.....
Unfortunately, I don't think I am physically fit to be a tool pusher or laying drilling pipes, so I better stick with my 'office' job :(

Tha VZA
10-21-2005, 01:32 AM
if any of you have seen me...i am not a big guy...and i cant do it....

it's all mental if you have the right attitude you can do it...just put out and you will be fine...i weigh 160 pounds and i am almost 6'3....not big at all....

the hours can be long...longest i worked was 10 straight days of 16 hrs a day...

the wage is great...and its only going up because they need people to work rig because a lot of ppl (like me) are going to school to work oil related office jobs or not heavy labour oil field jobs...

its usually round 22 bucks an hour for first 8, then time and a half....plus sometimes bonuses...traval time extra...

it adds up

ciao

lastprodigy
10-21-2005, 02:03 AM
is it really that dangerous ..

KLCC
10-21-2005, 02:40 AM
No, just extremely long hours, heavy works and less than ideal working condition.

While I was in school, I heard stories about how rig people had to work in the middle of a winter storm up north (day and night) for hours just to reach to certain depth for geologist to analysis the drilled sample or to start oil/gas production and then move on to another location before falling behind schedule.

Had thought about being a tool pusher (right after grad from PET and before going into the U) but really, that kind of life style isnt what I had in mind, no matter how much I get paid,........so...

Tha VZA
10-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
is it really that dangerous ..

if you arn't safe yeah...lots of places to lose fingers...plus handling kicks are fun too

they don't call snubing working the "bbq basket" for nothing

but if you are safe you'll be fine...most accidents that do happen are because of carelessness

ciao

Rockski
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
check the phone book and dont have your heart set on precision... check out nabors and jacobs and what not as well... dont just fax in a resume or send it via email, acutaly walk in there with a piece of paper and fill out an application

the rigs were a blast... just remember, since winter is comming, pe prepared to wrok in temps that can be as low as -45. i know i hit -40 in the mountains last year on a precision and aslo on a nabors not far from burn timber... keep moving, even if your not really busy, just keep moving. keep your mind on your job, if you get tiredbring some kind of energy drink cause your gonna have some long hours (ou get used to it and its pretty easy)..

89coupe
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
See if you can't get on as an MWD. You get paid a lot more, still long hours, but the work isn't nearly as labor intensive as working on a rig.

ca2p3r
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
MWD?

Rockski
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
mid west drilling (?)

89coupe
10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Monitoring While Drilling. Its for directional and horizontal drilling.

cman
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
im 5'11 145 and i can work on the rigs.
i am at school right now but will be out there for christmas break and probably all summer.
just be careful and be prepared to pull some crazy, and i mean crazy hours. it will be cold, it will be dirty, it will be loud, dont expect anything else.
enjoy the reward of having a shit load of money too.

Lexxan
10-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Actually it's measurement while drilling.

Gooseberry
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
They have something in the Herald today about oil jobs and shit... Said the main problem was finding housing?

cman
10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
oh i forgot to mention they are looking like crazy right now!!!! so you should have no problem finding a company who needs people.

s dime
10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by cman
im 5'11 145 and i can work on the rigs.
i am at school right now but will be out there for christmas break and probably all summer.
just be careful and be prepared to pull some crazy, and i mean crazy hours. it will be cold, it will be dirty, it will be loud, dont expect anything else.
enjoy the reward of having a shit load of money too.

Cman, in all honesty, I do not believe you will be doing the job of a roughneck or any other extremely physically demanding job while you are on the rigs. I think you will be learning the higher end jobs, as you are studying to be a petroleum engineer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you may be misleading this guy...

I mean no harm by this ^:)

cman
10-21-2005, 04:21 PM
no i am working as a roughneck over the winter break.
and over summer most likely either an office job as an assitant, or more field work.

s dime
10-21-2005, 04:25 PM
ahh, i am wrong. I thought you were not going into hardcore labour, my bad...:thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
10-21-2005, 04:42 PM
My uncle sets up all the pipeline contracts for Transcanada and they are looking for guys $40/hr + time and a half after 40hrs a week.

Next job is 75 days up there, everything is covered. Im trying to convince myself to go.

You work 10hrs a day 6 days a week.
I think we worked it out to roughly $35-40,000 in just over 2 months.

Pretty fuckin good deal if you can stand the cold and work.
They only work during winter months though.

rvd
10-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Monitoring While Drilling. Its for directional and horizontal drilling.

Hey 89coupe, what kind of education do you need to get an mwd job at Paramount ?

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
My uncle sets up all the pipeline contracts for Transcanada and they are looking for guys $40/hr + time and a half after 40hrs a week.

Next job is 75 days up there, everything is covered. Im trying to convince myself to go.

ecstasy_civic I dont see that job on transacanadas website?

unfocus
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
hey ecstasy_civic you think u can get me into that job i mean i dont mind th ecold if i have the clothing yah know but yah pm me if you can help me out

anyways thanx guys im still lookiong i nthe papers aswell and still asking around but yah so i can just walk up to any oil company ans say i wanan work or i wanna fill up an application i mean

im 5'6 and 145lbs im short but i mean i can handle it i been working out so i cna handle the hard labour and it wont be soo hard on myself and my muscles or whatever but yah anyways thanx ...

Kobe
10-21-2005, 10:43 PM

I'm working 6 sometimes 7 days a week 8 - 6 (10 hour days) sometimes a little more, sometimes less, doing construction outside...

Think you could point me in the right direction aswell...

Anyone know of any companies hiring?
Where can I take my courses to apply for the rigs...

unfocus
10-21-2005, 10:48 PM
hey kobe if u find nethign let me know haha and if i find somethign i'll let yah knwo aswell

guess were both on the same page right now just finding the job at the rigs hey ahha crazy stuff

Kobe
10-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by unfocus
hey kobe if u find nethign let me know haha and if i find somethign i'll let yah knwo aswell

guess were both on the same page right now just finding the job at the rigs hey ahha crazy stuff

Sounds good man, you have your courses done yet?
I heard if you go up alone without knowing anyone its shit, but if you know someone it makes the job alot easier...

Tha VZA
10-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan

or LWD - log(ging) while drilling

it involes measuring what the formation contains you are drilling through and its porosity/permeability values while drilling the hole

they still mostly use a wireline after though....there's a neat job....

or go work for the Cal-Frac football team.....bonuses come quick working for them if you get the jobs done fast

cold weather sucks....its just the wind that gets ya the most....other wise it is ok if it is cold with no wind

ciao

unfocus
10-22-2005, 12:50 PM
no i havent donethe courseshoping they teach aswell but who knows teach or train i mean

Lexxan
10-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA

or LWD - log(ging) while drilling

it involes measuring what the formation contains you are drilling through and its porosity/permeability values while drilling the hole

they still mostly use a wireline after though....there's a neat job....

or go work for the Cal-Frac football team.....bonuses come quick working for them if you get the jobs done fast

cold weather sucks....its just the wind that gets ya the most....other wise it is ok if it is cold with no wind

ciao

Almost every horizontal job I do.. we log gamma... which is most jobs..

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey, sorry guys who asked questions, I forgot about this thread.

Ill talk to my uncle tommorow night and see who you need to talk to, ill get names and numbers.

But I know FOR SURE they are looking for people because he keeps bugging me to go up so I can buy a new house lol

Kobe
10-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey, sorry guys who asked questions, I forgot about this thread.

Ill talk to my uncle tommorow night and see who you need to talk to, ill get names and numbers.

But I know FOR SURE they are looking for people because he keeps bugging me to go up so I can buy a new house lol

Thanks man.. I'd be super interested :D

Edit: Could you find out what experiance I need for the job?

Christianl
10-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Can you find out where they send you to also? cuz I only have my H2S alive and CSTS, so it would be awesome if you could let us know what the company is thx.

ecstasy_civic
10-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I believe its just a labor job, no experiance needed.

They need people like you need food lol

Strider
10-23-2005, 11:22 PM
If you want to be a roughneck, take the course at PITS in Nisku (now known as Enform)...

I hear that Ensign is really hard up for labor right now, so you might try applying there.

If you're interested in MWD, I heard that Precision is hiring a lot right now... give them a try.

cman
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
there is a PITS in calgary also where you can take your courses.

Rockski
10-24-2005, 11:54 AM
take your hydrogen sulphide course too (H2S)

89coupe
10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
There is that as well. The general term is "Monitoring While Drilling".

Paramount is an exploration company, not a service/drilling company.

You don't need any real education to work on the rigs.

Originally posted by rvd

Hey 89coupe, what kind of education do you need to get an mwd job at Paramount ?

ecstasy_civic I dont see that job on transacanadas website?

Kobe
10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I believe its just a labor job, no experiance needed.

They need people like you need food lol

Could you find out what qualifications I need exactly to go up, So i can sign up and go up asap :D

Thanks man :)

Trev
10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
I heard you have to supply your own equipment is that true...must be pricey for all that. I also heard they can call you anytime and expect you to be up north in the same day Is that true? And how old do you have to be?

BMWTech
10-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know what kind of experience you need to become a MWD Tech? I'm currently a licensed Automotive tech with extensive training in current automotive technology and would now like to apply my skills to the oil and gas industry.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Hamann
10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
i've heard alot of talk about workin on the riggs, and how ppl make mad cash doin it, but what do u do, just operate machines that drill or what??? and are they always lookin 4 ppl, cause i was thinkin bout checkin it out but im still in sait, and dont finish my course till next may?:dunno:

KLCC
10-25-2005, 10:29 PM
basically, you can be assigned into different roles while u are on the rigs...
From what I heard and observed while in school (ages ago), most of the time, U add and remove pipes, and sometimes you record the amount of drilling fluid used and supply more if needed, but I could be totally off course on this one....so....
:dunno:

unfocus
10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey kobe found any places yet im still looking ... but yah imma try the phone book tomorrow and just asked around and call around aswell.. .while on my other job lol

but yah i dont ahve any of the courses so im just tryign my luck to get hired at this point casue i beleive they need people bad since winter is comming and you know how people are with winter lol

ecstasy_civic
10-26-2005, 01:26 AM
:clap:

Tommorow I will have notes and contact numbers, im having dinner with my uncle.

unfocus
10-26-2005, 07:53 AM
can u give me a [pm ... when u fine out

Lexxan
10-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
There is that as well. The general term is "Monitoring While Drilling".

Paramount is an exploration company, not a service/drilling company.

You don't need any real education to work on the rigs.

LOL it's not monitoring..
measurement hahahaha

Strider
10-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hamann
i've heard alot of talk about workin on the riggs, and how ppl make mad cash doin it, but what do u do, just operate machines that drill or what??? and are they always lookin 4 ppl, cause i was thinkin bout checkin it out but im still in sait, and dont finish my course till next may?:dunno:

Just go on the website of any drilling company and you can find job duties

for example:
http://www.ensigngroup.com/careers/candrill.html

Grip172
10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
eff the rigs..i did it twice and for about 8 months total...i remember working pu north (out of fort st. john in bc) and we left the camp at around 5:45 each morning...i remember a few times it was like -15 degrees out and then by the time we got to the lease, about 30mins away, the temperature was just above -50 degrees...it was ridiculous
i hated the lifestyle, missed my family and friends and it was tiring...

BUT the money is nice, but at the same time, i went out there, made a ton of money and blew it all...its VERY hard to save money when you work on the rigs...

well what i found anyways

btw im' about 5'10 160lbs but i look fatter like 180lbs haha

unfocus
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
im only 5'5 145lbs hahah can anoboy picturing this short asian guy working at the rigs hahah jokes but yah

rvd
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
no update ecstasy? :dunno:

iceburns288
10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
haha damn, I would definitely not mind leavin America for 2 months during a summer to make 20k on yalls rigs! Damn!

Seems like a bit of a stretch though:(

Grip172
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
haha damn, I would definitely not mind leavin America for 2 months during a summer to make 20k on yalls rigs! Damn!

Seems like a bit of a stretch though:(

don't even talk like that

rigs suck :devil:

Supa Dexta
10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I was crunching the numbers I had, and:

3k every 2 weeks, 14days in @12hrs a day = 168 hours, so if it's OT after your 1st 80hrs, then basically you may be making like 8-9$/hr... Then when you reach 80hrs+ into OT, you may be making like 14/15 or whatever, those are vague numbers I had, but thats along the lines.. It's not great money, it's just tonnnns of hours, so you have to make money, just bacause your working sooo many hours.. I bet most of us make more, we just don't get that many hours, we get half that and our cheques show that.. And then a week off, if you get on with the right crew you may get an extra 1k for that week your off of spending money... Then wouldn't your next pay be 3 weeks away from the time you get off... And then theres the weather, winters good times for the rigs not good for people who don't like cold/wet/dirty conditions.. And then theres the lifestyle, some people can fall right into it and get along others won't last... Lots of drugs on some rigs, and lots of partying on the time off.. Be responsible and you can do alright, you can make some killer cash with no education, which is great for some..

:)

Grip172
10-30-2005, 09:35 PM
yeah...be prepared to drink heavily and be around drugs....

Kobe
10-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Grip172

I thought you need a drug test before you go up???

So no drugs, I heard its all poker up there hahaha...

Tha VZA
10-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Grip172

lol..true dat...

here's a pic from red deer this summer...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA1NzA1MDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

but i didnt do drugs out there...and those that do....and have to take piss test....there are fake bags of piss out there now...the technology to beat the tests is here...just have to find it

drug paraphanalia (spell that however??) shops, well some, have them

they are big in Fort Mac

and yeah lots of poker...and when you have the next morning off...go to the club, find some women, and then theres more poke-her

OH what a terrible terrible joke

ciao

Rockski
10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

3k every 2 weeks, 14days in @12hrs a day = 168 hours, so if it's OT after your 1st 80hrs, then basically you may be making like 8-9$/hr... Then when you reach 80hrs+ into OT, you may be making like 14/15 or whatever, those are vague numbers I had, but thats along the lines.. It's not great money, it's just tonnnns of hours, so you have to make money, just bacause your working sooo many hours.. I bet most of us make more, we just don't get that many hours, we get half that and our cheques show that.. And then a week off, if you get on with the right crew you may get an extra 1k for that week your off of spending money... Then wouldn't your next pay be 3 weeks away from the time you get off... And then theres the weather, winters good times for the rigs not good for people who don't like cold/wet/dirty conditions.. And then theres the lifestyle, some people can fall right into it and get along others won't last... Lots of drugs on some rigs, and lots of partying on the time off.. Be responsible and you can do alright, you can make some killer cash with no education, which is great for some..

you forgot sub bonus extra cash per day (depending on rig) plus theres hardly any drugs on the rigs (at least the ones i worked)

wrxer1
10-31-2005, 05:36 PM
hey ecstasy
very interested in the job as I need the hours to complete my petroleum program.
PMed...

ca2p3r
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
actually, i guess they dont drug test anymore
thats what my first aid instructor told me, and hell . i was hired ... :bigpimp:

Supa Dexta
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
They do still test, and I know some guys that have had to take a month off before they could go back.. And as was also mentioned there are ways to beat the tests that are easily abtainable..

Grip172
10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
the drugs tests are a joke

you can easily pass them if you're that desperate to do drugs

i got high and about a week later i got a random drug test and i passed with flying colours

ca2p3r
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM
ok well then , stoners pm me haha
come work with US!

cman
11-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

did you factor deductions into your calculations? ex. taxes.

Supa Dexta
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Nope, just straight up in my head.. with what little I had.. But I used 3k, where in reality it's more like 2500 or so, take home starting out... It will be off some... These guys that have worked there recently should be able to break it down better.. .

Lexxan
11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
umm its 22 an hour starting. 8 hours @ 22 the last 4 @ 33. + $100 a day.
Works out for $408 a day starting.

Tha VZA
11-01-2005, 07:42 PM
umm its 22 an hour starting. 8 hours @ 22 the last 4 @ 33. + $100 a day.
Works out for $408 a day starting.

plus travel time, allowances if not in a camp and away from home

or is that what u mean by 100 dollars?

ciao

broken_legs
11-13-2005, 08:48 PM
All the roughnecks ive met are making 22-24/hr

2wks on and 1 wk off

12 hour days

This is pretty standard with all the big drilling companies. Wages may differ by a dollar or two per hour.

Precision
Nabors
Jomax
Phelps
Chinook
Ensign

Motor Hands are getting 24/Hr

Derrick hands get 28/HR

and Drillers get 36/HR

Tool Push gets more??

If you have no experience you would start as a roughneck, and through your time on the rigs work thorugh different positions from Roughneck to motor Man, to Derrick hand then maybe to driller

Everyone gets paid the same for the same position. There are no raises. youstart as a green hand and make teh same as you would as an experienced hand

Derrick hands that work all year should be making over 6 figures
As a roughneck youd be making around 2500/wk Gross

To be an MWD you probably need some techincal or equivalent experience depending ont he company that hires you. They like to hire techinicians, specialists, and engineers for that job. Although im sure there are some companies that will hire whoever..

When you choose a rilling company to work for consider if that cmpany is busy all of the time. They may send you toa rig that only works in the winter and you will be screwed during the summer.

cman
11-13-2005, 11:25 PM
if you have no experince you may start as a lease hand. but not for very long. pretty much you are everyone's bitch for a week to learn everything.

rollinRolla
11-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by BMWTech
Does anyone know what kind of experience you need to become a MWD Tech? I'm currently a licensed Automotive tech with extensive training in current automotive technology and would now like to apply my skills to the oil and gas industry.

Any comments would be appreciated...

I'm an MWD tech for PD and am 3 hours south of Dawson creek on the rig at this very moment.

I can tell you autmotive tech means jack shit. MWD is basically you sit in a trailer, watch a computer and work in a few applications every 30 minutes or so. easy ass work.

If your looking into MWD be prepared for tonnes of work, I'm on day 27 straight right now and will prolly be out here another two weeks till I get some home time. Unless your willing to work 25+ days straight don't even bother applying.

If anyone wants anymore information from someone who actually is MWD, feel free to pm me

wrxer1
11-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Exctasy,
Can we get your uncle's name or number?

Would really be appreciated!

broken_legs
11-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rollinRolla

I'm an MWD tech for PD and am 3 hours south of Dawson creek on the rig at this very moment.

I can tell you autmotive tech means jack shit. MWD is basically you sit in a trailer, watch a computer and work in a few applications every 30 minutes or so. easy ass work.

If your looking into MWD be prepared for tonnes of work, I'm on day 27 straight right now and will prolly be out here another two weeks till I get some home time. Unless your willing to work 25+ days straight don't even bother applying.

If anyone wants anymore information from someone who actually is MWD, feel free to pm me

Im 15 minutes outside of tumbler Ridge doing the same

on day 37 today...

I have had 2 NIGHTS off in town in the last 52 days

MWD = Movie Watching Dudes

When things are going good that is very accurate. When the rig is waiting on you because your tool is fucked you might feel a little differnetly...

rollinRolla
11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Im 15 minutes outside of tumbler Ridge doing the same

on day 37 today...

I have had 2 NIGHTS off in town in the last 52 days

MWD = Movie Watching Dudes

When things are going good that is very accurate. When the rig is waiting on you because your tool is fucked you might feel a little differnetly...

Small world, me too!! I think its murray road (2 tunnels) that the nabors rig that I'm on is off of.

Ven
11-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm curious to know why MWD guys aren't on a typical rotation and stay in the field so long. I know the money is great, but isn't staying out in the field that long a little hard on the other important things in life; friends, family, girlfriend, social activities, etc.....

rollinRolla
11-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Ven
I'm curious to know why MWD guys aren't on a typical rotation and stay in the field so long. I know the money is great, but isn't staying out in the field that long a little hard on the other important things in life; friends, family, girlfriend, social activities, etc.....

Not enough workers, thats about it. And yeah it's hard but suck it up princess, pussies need not apply for this job if you can't handle it :poosie:

Rockski
11-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Ven

contracted out by the rig company... not actualy part of the drilling company... therefor different shift roto's

thordin
11-19-2005, 05:15 AM
Hmmm I've always been fascinated by the lifestyle of the workers at the oil rig. Working insane amounts of hours and getting mad cash in no time! But I have a question.

Is it even possible for a deaf person (me obviously) to work on a rig? I'm not going to University until next August and I would like to make some mad cash in little time to help out with the tuition & to have some spending money n possibly enough money to buy me a Silvia as well. Is it mandatory to be able to hear? I sure as hell hope not! 22 an hour a day? fuck!

Lexxan
11-19-2005, 05:56 AM
I really don't think so. Rigs are full of inbred rednecks or just normal guys who are generally assholes. They would just fuck with you all the time to make you quit.
Sucks but hey.. colored people are fucked for working on them too.

(just stating the facts i don't agree with it at all)

Lexxan
11-19-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Ven

I consult and work whenever I want. Fuck rotation I work max 180 days a year and clear 100k take home.

wrxer1
12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
What kind of wages do MWD guys make?

blitz
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM

I consult and work whenever I want. Fuck rotation I work max 180 days a year and clear 100k take home.

The service rig I use has the same crew all the time, and everyone gets about 1 weekend off per month. Been using them straight like that for 4 months. I released the rig and they didn't get a day off, they were on their way to their next job the same day.

And whenever a guy takes time off, they replace him with a green, near retarded newie who can barely use a grease gun.

Billet
12-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rollinRolla

Small world, me too!! I think its murray road (2 tunnels) that the nabors rig that I'm on is off of.

dont fuk up those wells boys!

hey hey, pm me some test rates when you get them :bigpimp:

calgarys13
12-08-2005, 11:11 PM
how did you guys work upto being an mwd hand??

broken_legs
12-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by calgarys13
how did you guys work upto being an mwd hand??

This job is my first oilfield job.

I'd say school and/or equivalent technical knowledge and experience

calgarys13
12-09-2005, 01:38 AM
what kind of school or equivalent knowledge is required im pretty interested

stealth
12-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Petroleum Engineering Technology from NAIT or SAIT.

broken_legs
12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by stealth
Petroleum Engineering Technology from NAIT or SAIT.

^^^ Not really related to MWD but they will hire you with that schooling

I have a degree in Electronics Engineering

A lot of what you do is technical, so computer, software, hardware, electronics, electrical, general oilfield experience would all be helpful. Also they seem to hire a lot of pussies so don't worry if you've never gotten your hands dirty at work before.

Ekliptix
12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Anyone in here in BAPET of going into it at SAIT?
I'm in it right now.

stealth
12-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

^^^ Not really related to MWD but they will hire you with that schooling

I have a degree in Electronics Engineering

A lot of what you do is technical, so computer, software, hardware, electronics, electrical, general oilfield experience would all be helpful. Also they seem to hire a lot of pussies so don't worry if you've never gotten your hands dirty at work before.

So are you saying a Power Engineer, perhaps would be able to get a job as MWD?

broken_legs
12-10-2005, 01:26 AM
I dont know the details of what a Power Engineer does

All I really know is that many of the people I work with have the Pet Eng Diploma from SAIT or NAIT, or somewhere in NFLD, and that they all seem to think MWD has little to do with what they took in school, IE reservoir planning and production??

MWD is a technical position.

If you dont right now you may have to learn and understand, atleast on a very basic level, things like:
Digital vs Analog
Sensors and Calibration
Resistivity and Nuclear theory
Direction and Inclination

I work with some people that know little of electronics etc, but can memorize procedures and follow instructions, They are good at their jobs and get along just fine. However, the people that really know whats going on are the ones that understand why they do everything, not the ones that just know how to do it.

I'm not sure about other directional companies but I can tell you that Schlumberger will train you on their tools, and even send you to school in other countries for training so you can advance your career path in the company. SLB has already flown me to Houston for school and put me through several weeks of training etc..

A lot of people like to start at SLB, get trained up for free, then go to other companies that will pay more.

stealth
12-10-2005, 11:03 AM
O Ok thats cool.

A Power Engineer, runs Oil/Gas Plants, and Power Plants, basicially every plant that has a boiler.

Sacred
01-11-2006, 07:36 AM

Did he ever follow up on this or was it just one of those stories that people pass around?

Whats life style on the rigs like? What if said applicant did not have a highschool diploma?

Lexxan
01-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by wrxer1
What kind of wages do MWD guys make?

i just switched from phoenix to atlantic directional.. $600 + 85 infield mileage + $40 food a day.. + .85 cents a click i drive.

i usually bill out 20 grand a month +

dub_c
01-11-2006, 09:09 PM
im moving down to the USA to work on the rigs. My step brother has been a driller close to 3 years, and he offered me a job, making just over 4200US a month. 1 week on, 1 off.

98brg2d
01-13-2006, 09:31 PM
i just switched from phoenix to atlantic directional

I work around the corner from Phoenix's shop. Do the last names Jameson, Vaisnis, McInenly or Wensel ring a bell for you or are some of them before your time?

5hift
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Would doing something like a entry level roughneck be something a student could do over the summer (May-Sept) or is it usually only in the winter months when help is needed.

project240
02-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
Would doing something like a entry level roughneck be something a student could do over the summer (May-Sept) or is it usually only in the winter months when help is needed.

I think they are always looking, doesn't realy matter when. On alot of oil sites, they have specific info on summer employment.

Can someone tell me the difference between working pipeline and the rigs? Pay difference? Difficulty of work?

I did a couple of searches on google, but kepy getting useless info. Any links to companies/info/jobs is greatly appreciated.

kaput
02-09-2006, 01:07 PM

TomTom
02-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA
rigs rule...loved it this summer...

couple tips

try to get another company...although since weatherford bought out PD it might be different...

stay away from Brooks...everything is run like the 70's down there regarding safety etc

don't do drugs!!!:thumbsdow

sorry i dont have many "contacts" per say to help you out

ciao
and yes dont just try for pd theres Lots of awsome companys out there, id personally recomend trailblazer, mostly shallow holes 1000m 1-2 day a drill its coiltube so while on a normal rig your running that 1000m in the hole the coiltube does it for you

i work in brooks, i cant even go from the truck to the shitter without getting bitched at for not wearing a helmet when there 10 feet from eachother, if your doing somthing wrong the hse guys are gona be on you like flys on shit, kinda annoying most of the time actually. in brooks what company were you working for??

dont do drugs cause you will have to pay out the ass for the stuff when your outa town and your not a driller so you cant afford to blow your hole check. and you should be worried about the guys above you doing drugs, you gota hit it lucky, i was lucky both rigs i was on the drillers and derrecks were only banging lines lots, rather them doing that than smokein rock all night and going to work lol. i laugh cause its the only thing you can do its the way it is and its not gona change, they drug tested every rig every week youd have alot of fcukin rigs shutdown and no crews.

do you have your cpr and first aid/h2s alive? you will need that no matter what

ca2p3r
02-09-2006, 03:47 PM
pipeline - more heavy lifting, walking distances
rig work - work concentrated around a service rig
has anyone heard when breakup this year is ?

kaput
02-09-2006, 04:01 PM