PDA

View Full Version : rear ended in parking lot at stop sign.

88CRX
10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
So earlier tonight i was in a parking lot in mckenzie town.... stop at a stop sign. I let off the brake and start moving, typical start w/ a manual tranny car... and bam.

Car behind me hits me from begind before i'm even moving.

I get out and hes already saying wtf, you rolled back into me. BS!

His wife jumps out and says i rolled atleast... like a foot, she then changes her story to 4 or 5 feet :rolleyes: right, on flat ground.

I say bulshit, he rear ended me.

His wife says fine call the cops.

Call them, under $1000 they wount come out.

So we exchange info. I had 2 friends in the car, witnesses?
I'm gonna snap some pics of the "sloped" ground :rolleyes:

btw - damage on his car is none.... my bumper has two scratches, not bad.... but there are several paint chips on the bumper.... the car is new, so it WAS mint. he claimed it looks fine, fuck off.

WHY ME?

so what is gonna happen now? if i just dont claim anything and he claims his damages am i effected? will my insurance go up if i claim and he doesnt? both claim? only him claim? will it go 50-50?

fuck i'm mad.:thumbsdow

dj_honda
10-21-2005, 08:45 PM
shitty to hear man!
he is at fault but isnt there a thing with the parking lots being 50/50? fuck i hate people that come right up to your rear bumper on an uphill.

i would let my insurance company know what happened for sure like tommorrow, even if you dont claim anything. just in case that guy trys to claim or something. i dunno, i would just talk to my insurance agent just to be safe and see how to proceed.

redevil
10-21-2005, 08:52 PM
That sucks,

no worries...he's at fault. Following too close.

At least you don't live in Edmonton, people here are really bad drivers! Oh and can't park worth shit!

I can't wait to move back down to Calgary

Good luck sorting it out, otherwise just call your insurance company and get them to contact his.

Your insurance won't go up, if your not at fault. Don't go 50-50 with him. I was rear ended and I couldn't get a hold of the guy who was at fault. I called my insurance company and gave them the info that I collected at the time of the accident. My insurance company contacted his and I didn't have to pay to get my car fixed cuz they went after his insurance company.

His insurance company couldn't even get a hold of him, but the next time he renews his ins. he will be in for a surprise!

Weapon_R
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
You are not at fault. A passenger cannot be a witness to an accident.

There is no way that he can prove that you rolled back onto them.

Bottom line is that you were hit from behind. You are not at fault, no matter how much they bitch. You file a claim with your insurance company, who will contact his and they will determine whose at fault.

When you are found to be not-at-fault, his insurance company will pay for the damages. Call your insurance company and tell them that you were rear-ended, and give them his info.

Better yet, call him and give him one last chance to pay for a bumper respray before insurance is involved.

88CRX
10-21-2005, 08:58 PM
So will my insurance company raise my rates since there is an "accident" on my record?

If my rates are gonna go up then its worth my time or hassle.

Weapon_R
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Your insurance won't go up at all on a not-at-fault.

Sharpie
10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Damn that sucks to hear.

Maybe you should sue who knows you might get $150,000 out of it:rofl:

90s_tuner
10-21-2005, 09:13 PM
dont let them off easy if it was their fault.

infected
10-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Yea, especially when he's being such a dick about it. Don't even waste your time by calling him and give him a chance, just claim his insurance.

guessboi
10-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I am sure - rear end collision is 99.9% the other person's fault.
your insurance should not go up unless you are partial at-fault.

the other person's third party liability will pay for your damage...if they are 100% at fault, they will paid 100% of the claim...

If you think they are 100% at fault, report to your insurance.

but depends on the damage, if it is a really small claim. say <300...it will be up to you.

note - insurers hate small claims cuz it cost them time and money to investigate...

Stratus_Power
10-21-2005, 09:44 PM
your insurance might still go up if you haev too many not-at-fault accidents...

403Gemini
10-21-2005, 09:57 PM
rolling back doesnt cause damage like a rear-ending does. hell, half the time i roll back and park my cars ass on my friends oldsmobiles nose when i park at his house (on a hill) and theres never been any damage. the distance you would need to pick up any real speed from rolling would be about 1-2 meters for any dents.

but yes, they rear ended you, its their fault. suckahs. even if you did somehow roll back, they should have left a larger gap. dont worry dude :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
10-21-2005, 11:12 PM
0% your fault, not a chance your insurance will go up. Since the guy's being a jerk about the situation, don't give him the chance to settle - just go directly through insurance and make his rates go up. :devil:

chris
10-21-2005, 11:37 PM
i saw this happen a couple weeks ago in crowfoot, some guy was losing it on this woman because she apparently rolled back, doesn't matter they still rear ended you, it's their fault not yours

three.eighteen.
10-21-2005, 11:55 PM
i'd say just go thru insurance. i offered to pay the damages for an accident i caused outside of insurance and they emphasized heavily that if extra damage is found, the 3rd party rarely pays without creating a hassle for the extra damages. if he was such a dick about that little bump he'd probably be even more of a dick when the autobody calls him to pay

ricosuave
10-21-2005, 11:58 PM
dont forget to go file a police report NOW

88CRX
10-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ricosuave
dont forget to go file a police report NOW

They wont do shit.... under $1000 they want nothing to do with it is what they said to me :thumbsdow

BTW - in all the mess i didnt get his insurance provider.... i have his license #, reistration # and insurance policy #

88CRX
10-22-2005, 01:18 AM
and ya, i'm calling insurance tomorrow.... he already told me that "we'll see what the insurance companies do about it" just as his wife piped up and said "ya, we'll be sure to claim all our damages to insurance tomorrow as well" :rolleyes:

l8braker
10-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
and ya, i'm calling insurance tomorrow.... he already told me that &quot;we'll see what the insurance companies do about it&quot; just as his wife piped up and said &quot;ya, we'll be sure to claim all our damages to insurance tomorrow as well&quot; :rolleyes:

ignore that. when you talk to your people, and give them his info, they will get whats coming to them. it's all in the heat of the moment, but the facts will come out in your favour

i'm no legal expert, but doesn't one have to disclose all insurance info at the time? ie. provider? :dunno: :)

DJ Lazy
10-22-2005, 01:25 AM
Oh man!!!! Sorry to hear... your poor EP3... :(

Hope everything works out for the best..

stevieo
10-22-2005, 01:26 AM

They wont do shit.... under $1000 they want nothing to do with it is what they said to me :thumbsdow

BTW - in all the mess i didnt get his insurance provider.... i have his license #, reistration # and insurance policy #

if you have his phone number call him, if he won't give it to you go to the police station.

the bastards who backed up into my car before wouldn't give me the policy #, so i went to the cops they called the people who hit me and demanded the number.

88CRX
10-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

meh, its not THAT bad at all.... just two scratches maybe 12"-16" long... i'll see what'll claybar out... but bumper prolly just needs to be sprayed and i'll be good to go.

88CRX
10-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by stevieo

if you have his phone number call him, if he won't give it to you go to the police station.

the bastards who backed up into my car before wouldn't give me the policy #, so i went to the cops they called the people who hit me and demanded the number.

nope, he said i can contact his insurance company, not him.

will my insurance company need his insurance provider or are they good with just that info?

l8braker
10-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

dude, not like it's a write off................. lol

stevieo
10-22-2005, 01:32 AM

nope, he said i can contact his insurance company, not him.

will my insurance company need his insurance provider or are they good with just that info?

maybe but it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what broker or insurance company he is with, get what i mean?

call him and be like 'if you want me to fucking contact your insurance company give me the god damn name"

the fucking bitch who hit my car, told the cops on me for swearing haha. "when the accident happened, he said the f word, can I sue him?"

cop was like "uh..ya you can try"

l8braker
10-22-2005, 01:35 AM
use common sense here 88crx.

88CRX
10-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by l8braker
use common sense here 88crx.

ah huh....

philipoo
10-22-2005, 02:04 AM
my uncle had the same issue, if the damage is like little to none and the payoff is under 100$ then your insurance premium wont go higher. sad to hear your ep3 is damaged a bit.. very nice car

max_boost
10-22-2005, 02:24 AM
It's just a hassle to deal with. I suggest you go and get 2-3 insurance estimates and present it to the a-hole and see what he says. If he doesn't pay up, go through insurance. Otherwise I would definitely try to settle it privately. An accident, even though not at fault, is still a blemish on the record. Plus it's a minor one.

A2VR6
10-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Sucks to hear that, hopefully the body shop will respray the rear bumper properly since I hear white is one of the hardest colors to color match.

frozenrice
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
His wife jumps out and says i rolled atleast... like a foot, she then changes her story to 4 or 5 feet :rolleyes: right, on flat ground.

Sorry to hear about the car.
If you rolled a foot, then they were definately way too close. If you think about it, your computer keyboard is just over 1 foot so if you rolled that much to hit them, they were too close to you. Even if you rolled 4-5 ft, that's still too close-5ft is less than the width of most cars.
Hope things work out for you.

88CRX
10-22-2005, 03:58 PM
The stop sign i was stoped at.

Thats weird... the ground isnt sloped :rolleyes:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/88crx/accident01.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Keep in mind a roll back would be at a very very very low speed and most likely would not do any damage.

Skyline_Addict
10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
from the picture, it looks like the likeliness to roll forward is much greater than that of rolling back.

GrahamXTT
10-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Hope insurance sorts it out. Look on the bright side, could have been worse?

Seanith
10-23-2005, 12:35 AM
That sucks ass dude. I hate assholes like that. What were they driving?

403Gemini
10-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
from the picture, it looks like the likeliness to roll forward is much greater than that of rolling back.

no shit hey, i was just thinkin that

Alexs
10-23-2005, 05:32 AM
You know, tilt your camera counterclockwise slightly, it should give you a greater sence of slope to the right.

Khyron
10-23-2005, 10:45 AM
You could always call him up and say that now you have a really stiff neck. :P

For under 1000 bucks the cops won't come out, but aren't you supposed to go to the station and fill out a report yourself? Otherwise there's no evidence there even was an accident?

Khyron

KGB
10-23-2005, 12:29 PM
hope everything works out for you, your car is mint

88CRX
10-24-2005, 10:22 AM
So, i talked to my insurance company today... and ya, just as i figured insurance companies are a god damn scam.

Couple scenarios that can happen...

1 - I claim, it goes 50/50 (which they think it will since there is no witnesses) i drop from a 5 star rating and my rates go up.

2 - I claim, its goes 100% at fault on him. My rates dont go up, but they also wont go down next year like they should. (i will go to a 6 star next year if i have no claim, at fault or not) if i have any claims at all they stay on my record for the 6 years and i cant go up to a 6 star during that time.

3 - I dont claim, he does. Then my insurance will fight for me and either 1 or 2 will happen. fuck me.

4 - I dont claim and he doesnt claim. I get fisted again, i pay for my damages outta my pocket. fuck me again.

So, basicly i'm screwed. If I claim it, it will cost me more money in the long run no matter who gets at fault. Tell me again why I pay an insurance company?

Zero102
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I've been there, and felt the same.
Just remember, insurance is betting against yourself, so start your own insurance company and start betting FOR yourself... ;)

Best choice is to claim, and hope it goes 100% on him. No witnesses makes things tough, but if the damage is anything more than negligable, then it's rather probable that he was the one moving, since most people when 'rolling backwards' don't get rolling that fast in such a short distance. Before you do anything, make sure your insurance company gets his story IN WRITING with his signature on the bottom, THEN pull out the pictures of the road in the area (perhaps a 4' level would help prove just how level the ground is?) and shoot him down.

The best possible turnout is that you stay at a 5* rating for a little while. Honestly, is it going to cost you more to fix your bumper, or to pay a bit more on your insurance for a couple years?

Also, I see times like this as an opportunity to shop around for a new insurance company, see how different companies will count a not-at-fault accident, etc. It might work out better to settle this up, then switch companies to somebody who will not even consider the not-at-fault accident.

88CRX
10-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Honestly, is it going to cost you more to fix your bumper, or to pay a bit more on your insurance for a couple years?

The only damage to the bumper is the paint... so what? $500 to respray the bumper.

If my insurance goes down $20/month (prolly will go down more then that in the next 6 years) x 6 years = $1440 plus i keep a "clean record".

Seanith
10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Can they hold your rates for 6 years like that? :dunno:

88CRX
10-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
Can they hold your rates for 6 years like that? :dunno:

i guess so..... from what they explained to me is that 5 star is a perfect record and 6 stars is for special people that dont have any claims at all. 6 stars includes further discounted rates as well, and you cant be a 6 star if you have any claims on your record. and all claims stay on your record for 6 full years.

seems like a scam to me. expecially if i'm found to be not at fault at all.

Zero102
10-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Okay, I see your point. Perhaps your best bet would be to take some pics of the area, show how flat it is, and confront the idiot who rear-ended you. They might pay for it once they realize that they're fucked. It shouldn't be $500 to respray a back bumper, you might get away with $300?
I was honestly curious which would be more expensive.

I suppose when it all boils down, you're best off paying for the respray on your own if the other guy won't pay up. Man that sucks :(

88CRX
10-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I suppose when it all boils down, you're best off paying for the respray on your own if the other guy won't pay up.

basicly ya, but whatever, it could be worse.

schurchill39
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
If you have a whole bunch of pictures and go to the guy and show him your "proof" i dont ee how he could try and argue with you.

A good idea for a picture to show that it is flat ground is get a picture of a level where you car was sitting then a closer one showing the bubble. If the level shows its level and you have a picture of it that just destroys his whole story. It sounds childish but its fool proof proof.

88CRX
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
If you have a whole bunch of pictures and go to the guy and show him your &quot;proof&quot; i dont ee how he could try and argue with you.

A good idea for a picture to show that it is flat ground is get a picture of a level where you car was sitting then a closer one showing the bubble. If the level shows its level and you have a picture of it that just destroys his whole story. It sounds childish but its fool proof proof.

Yes. But he KNOWS I'm a kid and i cant afford to have a claim on my record. He knows that and is using it to his full advantage... he already told me to let the insurance companies deal with it.

lastprodigy
10-25-2005, 05:40 PM
lol if you have time and want to prove a point take him to small claims court, on principle of course

Zero102
10-26-2005, 09:22 AM
How old is the guy who hit you?...
Perhaps his insurance increase when he is found at fault will be enough of a reason for him to just pay up?...

90s_tuner
10-26-2005, 09:30 AM
ask your insurance company how many roll back accidents they have. its BS and they will know

crXbuSit
10-26-2005, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by redevil

no worries...he's at fault. Following too close.

^ exactly its always the other persons fault who rear ends you , following to close is your best argument

Moonracer
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Man that's right by my place and I know that stop well. Don't put in a claim with the insurance you''ll just fuck yourself. Well more like the guy who hit you is fucking you. Either way it's his fault. You could take it to small claims court, that's the only possible way to go. If the judge is at all logical he/she will see it your way. Even if you did roll back several feet and bumped him it's still his fault. You are supposed to leave a small carlengths distance when stopping behind someone for reasons like this. As far as I can see all you would need from this guy is to admit he bumped you from behind. Anyway goodluck mang. :thumbsup:

Goblin
10-27-2005, 02:28 AM
I liked what you said about insurance companies being a scam, they are. I'm allready paying 250 a month for my car. I get hit, it goes up..

Well, wtf, Im paying 350 allready, that should more than pay for it.

5 k a year. thats 5 k in my pocket, know what im saying.

Seanith
10-27-2005, 04:33 PM
I think it would be better just to put that money away and dip into it if necessary.. but there would be a lot of troubles doing that.. for one you couldn't register your car :dunno: