PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise

Harryc8786
10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey got my new setup in the sebring. Im not sure whats causing the engine noise. Im my malibu it was just a buzz that I found out was something with the RCA's behind my deck. This new sound in the sebring is def bad engine noise. It was whining when I reved. Well I had it professionally installed and they said there was noise, so they turned down the gains on my amps. Well wouldn't it only be my 4ch amp they needed to turn down? When the rca's and power come into my trunk, the power is ontop of the box (hidden behind a panel) while the rca's come under the box and up to the amps. The box fires subs into the car, the back of the box is showin in the trunk with the amps mounted on the back. KX 1200.1 and a KX 350.4 kicker amps. Should I go behind my radio and investigate? Its not the same noise as in the malibu, and I only hear it on the speaker not the subs.

Jon Goddie
10-23-2005, 12:19 PM
your Rca cables are picking up interference from a power source, rca cable should be run as far away as possible usually other side of vehicle from the power cable.

if they are not close to and power lines or car wiring harnesses then then id sudgest a better shielded set of of RCA cables.

In my T-Bird my 3 set of cables from the deck cost me close to $400 and this helped minimize engine noise

good luck

bdubs767
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Jon Goddie
your Rca cables are picking up interference from a power source, rca cable should be run as far away as possible usually other side of vehicle from the power cable.

if they are not close to and power lines or car wiring harnesses then then id sudgest a better shielded set of of RCA cables.

In my T-Bird my 3 set of cables from the deck cost me close to $400 and this helped minimize engine noise

good luck

he is right and you could perhaps upgrade your rca what I had to do. make sure their dual twisted. heres some great rca they dont pick up any noise at all and there cheap http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2825.html. personal I hate audibahm but hese r the best rca for the amazing price.

Harryc8786
10-24-2005, 09:42 AM
wow, well I have some average rca's the Phoenix Gold RS2 700 Series rcas for my speakers, some not so expensive sub rcas that work fine. My HU is a 5volt signal to each set of rca's. I hear that maybe a Sirius tuner can cause some noise. I am not sure if they moved it when they did the instal, last I knew it was somewhere behind my Hu which I find difficult to believe, especially if now I have 3 sets of rcas. Im pretty sure that the wires are run on opposite sides of the car as they were in my last, and the guys that did it arn't that bad. If the rcas are run under my box and up into the amps, could the box be pinching the signal and causing that? Also i notice if im stopped... if my music is turned down, and I press or release the brake, I hear a click in my speakers nothing loud because I only hear it at very slow speeds or when stopped with the music down. Any other suggestions? I think im goin back thurs to have them check it out. Are there any good sets of rcas I might be able to pick up on ebay or something? Id rather not buy anything new.

Harryc8786
10-24-2005, 09:49 AM
something like this be good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-Monster-Twisted-Pair-4-Channel-RCA-Cable-6M_W0QQitemZ5822224097QQcategoryZ94846QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the look of the audiobahn, but would this help more having all the 4ch rcas ran in 1 strand?

Jonathan@TCS
10-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Harryc8786
Are there any good sets of rcas I might be able to pick up on ebay or something? Id rather not buy anything new.

Here is your first mistake. Used RCA's are garbage. If anyone pulled a little too hard when removing them, they may have damaged the wire, and then you will definetly have engine noise problems, or no signal at all. Get a good pair of RCA's like the StreetWires Zero Noise stuff. Look at the quality of the cable, and how it is designed for the car environment.

As for engine noise problems, run RCA and Power on oposite sides of the car.( I think you did already) Next, check your grounds, you may have a bad ground. Make sure the ground wire, and the Power wire, are the same gauge, and try grounding your deck and amp to each other.

Good Luck!

DR.Gonzo
10-26-2005, 11:51 PM
another thing you could try as well is at the back of your deck. check your rca connections and make sure they are not touching any body metal ( like the braided grounding strap ) you could be getting a ground loop there.
I once had a customer that had that problem. something so simple, and overlooked by alot of different people.