PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or LCD tv?

Chester
10-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm looking to buy a plasma or lcd tv and have no idea what the difference is between all these different tv's. I know shit-all about tv's, somebody help me:confused:
Reccomend something so I at least know where to start.

eblend
10-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Are you looking for a pure lcd screen as in something u cna hang on the wall or lcd projection?

If your not hanging it on the wall get a DLP tv, same quality as plasma and much cheaper per inch size

Chester
10-23-2005, 01:29 PM
It needs to be something I can hang on my wall and probably bigger then 32, so it's probably going to have to be a plasma, unless there are LCD's bigger then 32.

Paul1234
10-23-2005, 01:55 PM
LCD = AWSOME PICTURE QUAILITY but also cost lots more
Plasma = not as good picture quality and cost's less

But if something f's up they both expsenive to repair hehe

Das_Amaretto
10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
^To each his own.

I find picture quailty on Plasma blows away LCD, and so do most other ppl I talk to. (IMO) But ya, I also hear LCD lasts way longer.

GO PLASMA

:bigpimp:

Chester
10-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Das_Amaretto
^To each his own.

I find picture quailty on Plasma blows away LCD, and so do most other ppl I talk to. (IMO) But ya, I also hear LCD lasts way longer.

GO PLASMA

:bigpimp:

Thats what I always thought; plasma tv's had better picture quality then LCD's, but I've been hearing different. A friend bought a 27 inch LCD a couple years ago and it was fucking expensive and the picture was shit, so thats probably why I'm thinkin plasma is better than LCD:dunno:

Celica TVS3
10-23-2005, 02:28 PM
^ that may have been because the resultion on the LCD was higher then the signal being pumped into it. When that happens all the flaws in the signal become visable.

LCD is going to be way more expensive then plasma if you're looking at over 32".

If your room/lifestyle can accomodate it look into getting a DLP front projector. By far the best $/" you can get.

pr0
10-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I find that LCD is better for smaller TVs. Plasma for larger.

Chester
10-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3
^ that may have been because the resultion on the LCD was higher then the signal being pumped into it. When that happens all the flaws in the signal become visable.

LCD is going to be way more expensive then plasma if you're looking at over 32".

If your room/lifestyle can accomodate it look into getting a DLP front projector. By far the best $/" you can get.

It definately needs to be something I can hang because I want to put it in my family room on the wall over the fire place

Chester
10-28-2005, 02:06 PM
K guys, plasma is out. My dad keeps telling me it will eventually burn out and the tv will be useless, so I've got it down to these two

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010061667&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010062415&catid=

rage2
10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
DLP your eyes will go :nut:

hehe, well if you're sensitive to it anyways ;).

Too bad they don't have the JVC 61" LCoS (http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=HD-61Z575) unit anymore. I bought one before they sold out of them for a little less than your DLP prices. Awesome TV for my living room, so bright, even though I have like 8 windows letting the sun in.

If you have the money, go for the Sony SXRD 60" (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010067083&catid=). $6499, 1080p native resolution, and the most brilliant colors I've ever seen, much richer than my old Plasma. Black levels are as black as I've ever seen, and you can actually see shadow detail even with very dark blacks. It's a LCoS type display. I have the 50" version of the SXRD (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10067082&catid=). Highest resolution, sharpest picture, richest color, and no DLP rainbows or headaches.

Chester
10-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Well my eyes are pretty sensitive so I probably will notice, damnit. I'll have to check out that sony.:thumbsup:

rage2
10-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Don't buy a DLP unless u can watch for an hour at the store without getting headache, or tired eyes. If you plan on having people over to watch TV, don't buy DLP, chances are, one of them will experience eye strain, headaches, or see rainbows and they'll never hang out with you haha.

I've updated my post with links to the products.

/////AMG
10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I did a search on this, on beyond ( :D ).
I still can't make a decision on what to go for!!

rage2
10-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Over the last few months I bought like 5 new TV's. Most expensive was the SXRD, and happiest was the SXRD. I got a CRT Rear Projection, a Plasma, a LCoS, a LCD RPTV, and the SXRD LCoS hehe.

Depends on your budget of course, and if the TV is just for you and only you and you can watch DLP's without any problems, DLP's offer the best bang for the buck. Really good image at fairly low prices.

In a bright room go for a LCoS type display. They are by far the brightest. CRT Rear projection is the dimmest and you won't be able to watch it unless it's in a dark room (ie basement).

Chester
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Don't buy a DLP unless u can watch for an hour at the store without getting headache, or tired eyes. If you plan on having people over to watch TV, don't buy DLP, chances are, one of them will experience eye strain, headaches, or see rainbows and they'll never hang out with you haha.

I've updated my post with links to the products.

I will definately have people over to watch it so I know that DLP is out forsure. Where did you buy the JVC Lcos from before they were sold out?

RC-Cola
10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Over the last few months I bought like 5 new TV's. Most expensive was the SXRD, and happiest was the SXRD. I got a CRT Rear Projection, a Plasma, a LCoS, a LCD RPTV, and the SXRD LCoS hehe.

Depends on your budget of course, and if the TV is just for you and only you and you can watch DLP's without any problems, DLP's offer the best bang for the buck. Really good image at fairly low prices.

In a bright room go for a LCoS type display. They are by far the brightest. CRT Rear projection is the dimmest and you won't be able to watch it unless it's in a dark room (ie basement).

Have you tired or purchase the Panasonic TH50PX500? From what I've read and heard this is the screen to beat? I would appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010062341&catid=

rage2
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Chester
I will definately have people over to watch it so I know that DLP is out forsure. Where did you buy the JVC Lcos from before they were sold out?
Future shop. They might still have demos available for cheap!

rage2
10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
Have you tired or purchase the Panasonic TH50PX500? From what I've read and heard this is the screen to beat? I would appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010062341&catid=
haha I know my TV's dude. I have the 42" version of that ;).

The SXRD is definately better IMO. Brighter and even richer colors. Black levels are fairly close between the 2. And price is a bit cheaper. For a little more than the price of the 50" Pany, you can get the 60" SXRD. 50" SXRD is priced between the 42" and 50" Pany.

DJ Lazy
10-28-2005, 05:20 PM
If you listen to anyone about TV recommendations... Rage2 is your man... CraZy Tv AdDicT!!!!!!:nut: :rofl:

RC-Cola
10-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
If you listen to anyone about TV recommendations... Rage2 is your man... CraZy Tv AdDicT!!!!!!:nut: :rofl:

I know, this is why I asked!!!

D-Man
12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Alright, I'm dumb as a door knob when it comes to the new television technology. I have no idea what the differences are or what the pros/cons are between plasma, lcd, crt rear projection, etc... Then you add into the mix edtv, hdtv, rptc, etc and I'm lost.

FYI, I've had a 27" Sony Trinitron TV for nearly 12 years...

I've been trying to do some research on plasma's versus lcd's, and some of the difference in the technologies but it's mind blowing. There seems to be one better than the other with some aspect of quality and then you add in the downsides and I get lost.

So, here is my criteria:

I have a small condo so I'm looking for a television that is thin in depth and doesn't weight very much. My couch will be no more than 10ft away from the tv. The tv will most likely be on the floor or on some sort of stand. I watch mainly just regular or digital cable television but I also like to watch alot of dvd movies. I'm not into tv gaming (mainly pc). The max size would be 42"-44" and my price range is no more than $3K. I don't really have a preference of plasma over lcd.

So, what is a good televsion that will give me the quality that I seek, the reliablity that I need and in the size & price range I'm looking for? Rage?

JordanLotoski
12-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

I have that in the 50' inch and i love it

Xtrema
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Are plasma getting better reliability wise? Friend's barely 2yr old LG have been in the shop 3 times already.

Mar
12-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Chester
K guys, plasma is out. My dad keeps telling me it will eventually burn out and the tv will be useless, so I've got it down to these two

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010061667&catid=

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010062415&catid=

It will burn out, but it's like 10000 hours of viewing or something, it works out to 5 years or something, regular life for a TV. Seriously, go to Futureshop and look at 2 big ass TVs next to one another, one LCD and one plasma. Look at both of them on an angle, the plasma colour won't change while you'll have a hard time seeing the LCD because it gets darker on an angle. I find plasma way better than LCD in quality, but do yourself a favour and compare side by side.

robpark
12-17-2005, 04:41 PM
I have a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD TV hooked up to a Shaw HD box and it is gorgeous... Keep in mind that plasma TVs have issues running at higher elevations, the picture eventually sags...blah blah blah.... Plasma does dark scenes better than LCD.

Gondi Stylez
12-17-2005, 04:55 PM
hmmm we might be gettin the 60" SXRD after xmas... around feb.... there will def. be something better out but that tv is just freakin sick... but it will be cheaper and will satisfy my needs and then some... :drool:

can u hang it on the wall rage or would a stand be better?

rage2
12-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Can't hang the SXRD on the wall.

AJL
12-18-2005, 12:08 AM
I wish I had the cash flow for a SXRD... but a starving student doesnt. :thumbsdow
Having just had my 3 year old CRT die (never buy RCA again) and just bought a 360, im going to go look for a Televsion around $1200. My options are 26" LCD (Samsung or Sharp) or a 26"-32" CRT. Not sure what to go for.
I'll go shopping tommorrow.

lastprodigy
12-18-2005, 03:20 AM
im a noob to this also but have notice the DLP tvs are quite reasonably priced....all i know is plasma is a bulb and lcd is pixels but what is dlp?

max_boost
12-18-2005, 03:47 PM
What's the best 42inch HDTV ready TV for $3000-$3500? I might be willing to spend more, monthly payments :D Don't really want to take the advice of a salesman because he might not even know what he's talking about.

Impreza
12-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What's the best 42inch HDTV ready TV for $3000-$3500? I might be willing to spend more, monthly payments :D Don't really want to take the advice of a salesman because he might not even know what he's talking about.

Are you looking for flat panel (plasma/lcd) or a rear projection? Cause your price range will give you tons of options!

max_boost
12-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

Are you looking for flat panel (plasma/lcd) or a rear projection? Cause your price range will give you tons of options!

At first I was thinking of mounting it on my wall over the fireplace but I'm not use to looking at the TV like that, it's a bit higher and I think I might strain my neck or something. :rofl: If I put it on the floor the max size I can get away with is 42. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just the 'best bang for buck' type thing.

Impreza
12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

At first I was thinking of mounting it on my wall over the fireplace but I'm not use to looking at the TV like that, it's a bit higher and I think I might strain my neck or something. :rofl: If I put it on the floor the max size I can get away with is 42. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just the 'best bang for buck' type thing.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, get the Sony KFE-42A10. I am sure Rage2 would agree that it is a phenomenal TV for the price, you can get it for about $1800, almost half your budget! Save the rest for an HD Box, etc. haha

rage2
12-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Get the KFE-42A10. Run it for about a month with your HD source. Calibrate that source.

The budget you have is a bit tough... right inbetween good and excellent technologies ;).

Impreza
12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
If his budget was about $4500, then he could get something really impressive!

rage2
12-18-2005, 11:36 PM
You're prob thinking about the Panasonic 42" Plasma ;).

max_boost
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Ok so what TV will you recommend for $4500?

Do you think the product service plans are worth it?

I have the Shaw HD+PVR right now and thinking about switching to Bell.

Celica TVS3
12-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Hey, Rage do how well do you know your front projectors?

I'm putting together a dedicated home theater and was looking at the Sanyo Z4. The reviews seem good just wondering if you have an opion on it.

rage2
12-18-2005, 11:56 PM
kenny is the projector expert. I don't have a home theater room yet.

max_boost, tell me what your requirements are (what u watch, what u play, xbox360? etc), and I'll recommend you a TV.

max_boost
12-19-2005, 12:02 AM
I rarely play video games. I try to mostly watch whatever that is available in HD through Shaw, sport channels, PPV movies, movie central and Smallville. :D

KFE-42A10 is cheap and affordable. I don't think I would even notice the difference between that and a bling one.

Or screw it, go big or go home, might just buy a 50inch plasma instead. Now that I think about it (again), either get something cheap or expensive. :drama:

max_boost
12-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Just got back from Futureshop, the SXRD is super pimp. Everything else just looks ordinary now.:eek: