PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a good watch - need suggestions

Weapon_R
10-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm looking to buy a nice watch as a gift for my dad. Budget up to $1000 for it.

Looking for something elegant and reasonably functional. He likes metal straps and lots of dials.

No Tag suggestions please. What do you recommend?

Redlyne_mr2
10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Tissot makes some really nice watches in your price range. Swiss made, nice materials and some really nice styles. They are known for their Ttouch...an analog/digital watch where the controls are touch sensors located on the crystal face.

theken
10-23-2005, 02:15 PM
get him a nixon they are pimp and he would be "in"

Godfuader
10-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Unless hes real picky about the dials....Movado is the most elegant.

jaysas_63
10-23-2005, 02:56 PM
it may be a little higher than your budget but i would highly recomend an omega...the speedmaster is probably what he would want, some models have lots of "dials"...nice metal bands, and in terms of elegance omega is second to no watch.....

t-im
10-23-2005, 05:12 PM
A bit higher then your budget but I def. recomend a Cartier.

The Roadster, Tank (Francaise esp) and Pasha's are very nice and my favorites.

Not too many dials but very elegant.

JordanEG6
10-23-2005, 05:24 PM
fossil makes good ones...but they are more for younger people, but i think they make some that'll suit your dad well.

GTS Jeff
10-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
it may be a little higher than your budget but i would highly recomend an omega...the speedmaster is probably what he would want, some models have lots of "dials"...nice metal bands, and in terms of elegance omega is second to no watch..... Those are double his budget!

Weapon_R
10-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Exactly, $1000 is kinda pushing it for a watch but its his big 5-0 so I want something nice. Some of those watches suggested are twice what I want to pay!

Neil4Speed
10-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey man, Raymond Weil makes some fantastic watches in your price range.

Oris, Kenneth Cole, Concord, Breitling all should be around your price range and make nice watches.

ESQ is nice too, but a little over played.

Stratus_Power
10-23-2005, 07:23 PM
i think the new Gucci watch design is very elegant and just about your budget

Ajay
10-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Kenneth Cole is probably my fave when it comes to nicer upscale watches without spending too too much money.

I have an Esquire that I've been using for the last two years and it's a nice watch but it's true. Everyone and their dog has an Esquire now.

spike98
10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a bulova marine star. Its part of there diamond collection and i have to say i love it. Its is a realonably priced watch that looks fantastic. I paid around $500 for it. It has a black mother of pearl face with diamonds for the number indications. No dials though.

KLCC
10-23-2005, 08:39 PM
seiko? or citizen eco-drives? (this way, you don't have to worry about battery out of power)

asp integra
10-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by theken

nixon for sure i ahve one and i love it, there are some super nice ones, also oakley makes some really nice watches too!

jaysas_63
10-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Those are double his budget!

if he goes the route i did, used it would be around 1200-1400

t-im
10-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

nixon for sure i ahve one and i love it, there are some super nice ones, also oakley makes some really nice watches too!

Definitely nice watches, but not exactly the most appropriate for a father.

Impreza
10-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

Nixon is nice, but it is definetly not a watch I would want to give my dad for his 50th birthday. I think Gucci watches would be a great gift.

GTS Jeff
10-23-2005, 09:26 PM

if he goes the route i did, used it would be around 1200-1400 Or knockoff would be 50-200...:devil:

lastprodigy
10-23-2005, 09:34 PM

if he goes the route i did, used it would be around 1200-1400

i dont exactly know about a used present, especially for an ocasion like that....maybe for a car....but not a watch

Weapon_R
10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
No it would have to be new. Nixons are nice but not the kind of caliber i'm looking for. I really like the Tissot watches and a couple of Omegas.

Thanks for the suggestions - keep em coming if you have something else I should consider.

wildrice
10-23-2005, 09:39 PM
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/watches/nixon_automatic_watch

The nixon automatic's not bad! Doesn't really have lots of dials, but looks sleek and doesn't require batteries.
As long as the watch is moved the slightest bit once every 3 days. it'll continue running.

It's about 900 something at spare parts.

lastprodigy
10-23-2005, 09:40 PM
i still personally think Movado is the classiest and one of the bes tI can think of for the price for the person....however that doesnt work for you i guess....

movado "the museum watch":nut:

t-im
10-23-2005, 09:46 PM
How about a Baume & Mercier, Piaget or perhaps a Rado?

I can't remember the exact pricing on those as its been awhile since i've gone watch shopping. I know Rado's cost less than Baume & Mercier and Piaget.

Edit: Even some Emporio Armani watches are quite nice.

Sorath
10-23-2005, 09:47 PM
rolex :bigpimp:

Weapon_R
10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
i still personally think Movado is the classiest and one of the bes tI can think of for the price for the person....however that doesnt work for you i guess....

movado "the museum watch":nut:

Never said it doesn't work. In fact, the Movado Esparanza is the watch that i'm leaning most towards so far. It looks incredible and very classy.

Redlyne_mr2
10-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Rolex...Cartier...Gucci come on guys...only post your opinions if you have something to contribute. $1000 budget will not buy him one of those so instead of just throwing out some random brands post some valid suggestions.

t-im
10-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
rolex :bigpimp:
hahah, except..the cheapest Rolex is ~3000..and that's from a Rolex price list circa 2000.

There are so many better choices then Rolex out there!

Pacman
10-23-2005, 10:11 PM
You could try a Tudor, which is made by Rolex and is their "entry level" line which competes directly with Omega and Breitling.

They use Rolex cases,crowns,crystals,bracelets but instead of getting the Rolex "inhouse" movement, they get a third party movement made by ETA (which is the exact same movement that goes in Omega, Breitling, Tag, Raymond Weil, Rado, IWC, Tissot and various other high end swiss watches)

I have 2 Tudors that I enjoy wearing. One is a 40 year old Tudor Submariner that recently came back from Rolex Canda after having a full overhaul (and it looks brand spanking new!), the other is a Tudor "Tiger" Hydronaut which is about 5 years old now.

http://members.shaw.ca/mr_pacman/IMG_0137.jpg http://members.shaw.ca/mr_pacman/IMG_0126a.jpg

Godfuader
10-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Never said it doesn't work. In fact, the Movado Esparanza is the watch that i'm leaning most towards so far. It looks incredible and very classy.

Thats the one I have. But the 2 tone one, I last checked was $1600. This was two years ago, so might be a bit cheaper when the jewellery stores have their sales. But as far as styling goes...I get LOTS of compliments every time i wear it! :thumbsup: Rolex looks tacky, wear it only on very special occasions. but the movado is classy for any event.

403Gemini
10-23-2005, 10:19 PM
60 bucks at walmart my good sir haha

my watch is from there lol it tells me the date, 24 hr clock, and what day of the week it is as well as the time! :D

Khyron
10-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Got a pair of titanium Citizen eco-drives for my wife and I. Compared it to an entry Tag and it's far lighter and looks better too imo. And no battery, as long as it sees light once a month or so. I think they were around 200 US each on a cruise ship.

Khyron

Lanks
10-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Got a pair of titanium Citizen eco-drives for my wife and I. Compared it to an entry Tag and it's far lighter and looks better too imo. And no battery, as long as it sees light once a month or so. I think they were around 200 US each on a cruise ship.
:werd:

I have this one
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/JR3060-59F.asp
And I love it... There's a ton of watches in their eco-drive line that are really nice

Rockski
10-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by theken

i am totaly a fan of nixon
love my nixon watch y0:poosie:

WWJAI
10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by wildrice
http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/watches/nixon_automatic_watch

The nixon automatic's not bad! Doesn't really have lots of dials, but looks sleek and doesn't require batteries.
As long as the watch is moved the slightest bit once every 3 days. it'll continue running.

It's about 900 something at spare parts.

I can get this watch for 40% off if anyone likes it. I get discount at spareparts but i'd be asking a small fee as well for helping out.

KLCC
10-24-2005, 05:52 AM
if you don't want Tag, try ORIS Ralf Schumacher Chronograph edition watch

statick
10-24-2005, 06:27 AM
muvado is great, I would go with that if i was in your shoes.
i'm not sure what kind of omegas you'd be able to buy, but those are also kick ass watches.

jaysas_63
10-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Thats the one I have. But the 2 tone one, I last checked was $1600. This was two years ago, so might be a bit cheaper when the jewellery stores have their sales. But as far as styling goes...I get LOTS of compliments every time i wear it! :thumbsup: Rolex looks tacky, wear it only on very special occasions. but the movado is classy for any event.

i don't know....i would never call a Rolex tacky, its all about how you carry yourself, sure if some 17 yr old were rocking the diesel jeans, and an A/X shirt, a Rolex would look weird (or possibly tacky, partly because some might think its fake), but on the right person it wouldn't matter if they are in a suit, or in their exercise clothing.

I personally don't like the Movado line, because it almost looks too sleek, it doesn't have that commanding look that a Rolex, Tudor, or omega has. Not to mention this is a watch that looks like it should only be worn with dressy clothing.

I personally like to be able to wear a watch everywhere, from university to formal functions. i guess its all a matter of personal taste, and what the primary purpose of that watch is.

ZorroAMG
10-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Rolex IS tacky. They are nothing special visually, and carry a name...blah i'd never buy one- they lack originality. Now Cartier, Patek-Phillipe, IWC, Breitling, B&M etc, i'd take those over a Rollie anyday. I have a Raymond Weil, a 1965 Omega Seamaster Chronograph Automatic, Emporio Armani and a few others because they are great watches in terms of mechanics, movement and design, not cause they impress some chin nuts on the bus.....

Enough with the $2-10,000 watch suggestions.

As you said, Weapon R, stretching your budget to Movado or Raymond Weil would be the best option if affordable. If not try a more obscure brand with good quality and design - it may require more research but is worth it in the end. (BTW Gucci watches are cheaply made, do not go for one)

Ben
10-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Rolex IS tacky. They are nothing special visually, and carry a name...blah i'd never buy one- they lack originality. Now Cartier, Patek-Phillipe, IWC, Breitling, B&M etc, i'd take those over a Rollie anyday. I have a Raymond Weil, a 1965 Omega Seamaster Chronograph Automatic, Emporio Armani and a few others because they are great watches in terms of mechanics, movement and design, not cause they impress some chin nuts on the bus.....

Enough with the $2-10,000 watch suggestions.

As you said, Weapon R, stretching your budget to Movado or Raymond Weil would be the best option if affordable. If not try a more obscure brand with good quality and design - it may require more research but is worth it in the end. (BTW Gucci watches are cheaply made, do not go for one)

Word.

I'm a big Tag fan myself, but they aint cheap. I highly recommend Movado. My dad loves his. It's been a tradmark part of his wrist for as long as I can remember.

Your dad's turning 50, not becoming 50cent. Get something classy and respectable commemorating his lifes achievments, not something gaudy and obtuse for people insecure with themselves.

jaysas_63
10-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Your dad's turning 50, not becoming 50cent. Get something classy and respectable commemorating his lifes achievments, not something gaudy and obtuse for people insecure with themselves.

HAHAH..that was great, but you have to remember that the "blinged out" rolex's aren't all thats out there, and most of them are customized to fit the clients needs.....one might call it the "rice" of the watch world:rofl:

i really think you and zoro need to take a look at the rolex website, and take a look at there different models, very few, if any would be considered "gaudy"

t-im
10-24-2005, 10:52 AM

I agree. I own a Cartier and a Patek and those are WAY better then any Rolex. I especially love Patek's moon phase calendar.

rolex's aren't all thats out there, and most of them are customized to fit the clients needs.....one might call it the "rice" of the watch world:rofl:

Rolex is disgusting, because everyone and their dog has one, and everyone thinks they are 'blingage' with their authentic (and/or fake) Rolex's. People who wear Rolex's only want to impress everyone else who doesn't know what Chopard, IWC, Patek, etc is. Is Rolex really 'customized' to each persons specification? I always thought purchasing a Rolex was pretty standard and there wasn't exactly any customization because they have sooo many varations of the same model out there.

Edit: and people who buy just Rolex's are the people with money who don't really know any better. Kinda like the argument of new money vs old money (same theory..).

Weapon_R
10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by statick
muvado is great, I would go with that if i was in your shoes.
i'm not sure what kind of omegas you'd be able to buy, but those are also kick ass watches.

That's just it - none. Or at least no new ones.

Originally posted by Ben

Thanks - yes, it's frustrating finding a watch in my price range because they are either much cheaper (ie $200 nixons, timexs, or far more expensive, ie cartier 3k+). I have no doubt that both types of watches keep time and i'm aware that cheaper Seikos have better movements than Swiss counterparts, but i'm very partial to watches. I think buying a good watch lasts a lifetime and is something that no one should cheap out on. I think the best watch i've seen so far is the Movado Esperanza, which is just slightly over my budget ~1200 and such an amazing watch.

If I were to pick a second suggestion well under $500 for anyone, i'd have chosen the Citizen Calibre 8700. So much watch for the price.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/d1/11/5268334P917598-resized200.jpg

t-im
10-24-2005, 11:03 AM
^ Have you checked out Rado? I could have sworn i've seen them <then 1k at a few shoppes. Many of the models are very elegant..some looking a bit 80's though, but very cool (the Ceramica ones).

Weapon_R
10-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by t-im
^ Have you checked out Rado? I could have sworn i've seen them &lt;then 1k at a few shoppes. Many of the models are very elegant..some looking a bit 80's though, but very cool (the Ceramica ones).

I did, and they are far too expensive. Of all the rados I did look at online, the only one that I liked was about $1800. Not for me, and not really a watch worth the price.

t-im
10-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I did, and they are far too expensive. Of all the rados I did look at online, the only one that I liked was about $1800. Not for me, and not really a watch worth the price.

Ahh sorry dude, I thought it would have been cheaper - I've seen some on sale at some local shoppes so..

Godfuader
10-24-2005, 06:00 PM

i don't know....i would never call a Rolex tacky, its all about how you carry yourself, sure if some 17 yr old were rocking the diesel jeans, and an A/X shirt, a Rolex would look weird (or possibly tacky, partly because some might think its fake), but on the right person it wouldn't matter if they are in a suit, or in their exercise clothing.

I personally don't like the Movado line, because it almost looks too sleek, it doesn't have that commanding look that a Rolex, Tudor, or omega has. Not to mention this is a watch that looks like it should only be worn with dressy clothing.

I personally like to be able to wear a watch everywhere, from university to formal functions. i guess its all a matter of personal taste, and what the primary purpose of that watch is.

Well, the Rolex comes out when the suit comes out. Its flashy, VERY flashy (Oyster perpetual Day-Date). What do u expect with a gold watch. But that was the purpose of the rolex. Not to tell me the time, but to make a statement, just like the suit, and the matching gold cross pen.

The beauty of the movado is the sleekness. As you said, the person needs to be able to carry it. i've worn it with jeans and otherwise. It draws attention to detail and simple elegance. definately not as commanding as an Omega, which is great watch on its own.

Rolex IS tacky. They are nothing special visually, and carry a name...blah i'd never buy one- they lack originality. Now Cartier, Patek-Phillipe, IWC, Breitling, B&amp;M etc, i'd take those over a Rollie anyday. I have a Raymond Weil, a 1965 Omega Seamaster Chronograph Automatic, Emporio Armani and a few others because they are great watches in terms of mechanics, movement and design, not cause they impress some chin nuts on the bus.....

Second to the Movado, Cartier was my previous favourite. Its a great watch. Good luck:thumbsup:

Edit: how about something like this...Movado s.e. (http://www.movado.com/selector/results.cfm?Category=Sport%20Luxury&pgNumber=5&thisImg=6)

BigMass
10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
My personal favorite watch.. around 2g

http://www.rado.com/public/collection/ceramica/ceramica_top.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Nice choices in watches Zorro, vintage chronographs are where its at!

\JCAR/
10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
go nixon all watches are guarnteed for life and the most exspensive watch is 1g.... chek out www.nixonnow.com

you will like what you see

they even have there watches in sections business,sport,casual

chek out the nixon venture silver with a blue face cost me well i get a discount on all nixon watches but store value is $250.00 can't go wrong