PDA

View Full Version : ipod firmware

Nav13
10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi I just bought a new mini and when ever I open up itunes it ask if I want to download the newest version of firmware. I have 1.3 on there right now it says the latest is 1.4. My question is, is it neccessary to update it, does it have any real benifints and am I hindering the performance of my ipod by not doing so. Also after I download the firmware how do I update it on my ipod. Thanks in advance.

eb0i
10-24-2005, 09:32 PM
use iPod updater to update your iPod. It should have been installed along with your iTunes. But you can also download it from the apple site. Yes it is important to update your iPod.

Davetronz
10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
IPOD without latest firmware = crash waiting to happen...

Nav13
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
cool thanks for the heads up. Thing is Ive downloaded the latest version and saved it on my comp, now do I just transfer the file onto my ipod? I know the updater thing your talking about, but since I have an Hp version I downloaded it off hp's site. Ill go through the updater thing and see how it goes.

Nav13
10-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey davetronz I was wondering why you said an "ipod with out the latest firmware is a crash waiting to happen". I know you work in the tehcnical department of an electronics store (not sure which one) and have far more experience with these kinds of things. But I was looking at ilounge.com this thread specificaly http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=104167&perpage=15&highlight=firmware%20update&pagenumber=1

and the general consensus is that firmware version 1.4 for the minis can be problamtic, I just wanted to know how not having the latest firmware can affect your ipod, because after reading that thread I rather wait for 1.5.

Davetronz
10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I would say that maybe 3/10 times that someone is having problems with their Ipod, updating the software on it is one way to fix it. It is the first thing to try.

I would like to think that as the firmware numbers get higher they are addressing problems and fixing known issues.....

Nav13
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
ah gotcha, thanks alot good to know.

Davetronz
10-26-2005, 11:01 AM
No problem...
But as a bit of a disclaimer, firmware could cause more problems... Its a gamble...

Nav13
10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
yea tell you the truth I was going to just stick with 1.3 for now, since it was about 3/10 that could be fixed with firmware I figure I was safe with just 1.3. Do you about how long they release the next version? is it on a fixed interval? or whenever they feel like it?