PDA

View Full Version : Business Admin @ Sait

CanadianBoy69
10-25-2005, 02:33 AM
hey guys i recently got accepted in the BA program at sait, i was wondering if anyone here has taken that program as i had a few questions bout it, i really dont no wut i wanan major in, most likely accounting but im also thinkin maybe finance any help would b gratly appreciated

Canmorite
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
English, grammar and punctuation 101 is key before taking BA.

B20EF
10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
I didn't know you have any choices at SAIT. I take hotel managment there and we don't have any choices about what you want to take. They give you every course required to get the diploma.
If you do get choice go for accounting, it's easy at SAIT.

ExtremeSi
10-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm in business at SAIT right now, and am going to major in marketing.

business admin give you four choices of major: Accounting, management, marketing, and finance
Accounting is easy if you know math and understand the concepts. There can be a lot of money in it too, so if you like it, its a good choice. Personally i just don;t like it. Management is kinda interesting, finance is boring as hell to me, and Marketing interests me the most.

Kobe
10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

business admin give you four choices of major: Accounting, management, marketing, and finance
Accounting is easy if you know math and understand the concepts. There can be a lot of money in it too, so if you like it, its a good choice. Personally i just don;t like it. Management is kinda interesting, finance is boring as hell to me, and Marketing interests me the most.

If i was planning on starting my own house building company, which direction would I go?

s dime
10-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
I didn't know you have any choices at SAIT. I take hotel managment there and we don't have any choices about what you want to take. They give you every course required to get the diploma.
If you do get choice go for accounting, it's easy at SAIT.

I am also currently enrolled in hotel and restaraunt management at SAIT, and I do have options to choose from. This year, my choices are small business (entrepeneur) Hospitality ( Hotel ) or restaraunt.

BTW: what class are you in B20EF?

DUBBED
10-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

If i was planning on starting my own house building company, which direction would I go?

Management. Make sure you take some introductory marketing courses as well at either Mt.Royal or SAIT, very useful in the business world.
:thumbsup:

2000_SI
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

I graduated from the marketing stream at SAIT, and I realy enjoyed it. I recomend Marketing if your the creative type, because there is a lot of free range in the direction you can take with some of the class projects...eg. 4th Semester Retail Marketing...you get to design your own retail apllication, whatever it is that you want..and go through and make a business plan...design the store..ect..

If you like numbers, but are not a cruncher, i would recomend Finance. Its got lots of math in it, but it isnt as extreme as accounting. Plus, you learn a lot that you can apply to your own spending habits.

If you can deal with number crunching infront of a computer, then go with accounting. Its not to bad if you are good at math, but it can be tedious sometimes. However, employees in this field are highly sought after, especialy if you continue on to U of L (sait has a transfer program set with them if you have over a 3.0 GPA, you can go straight into your 3rd year at U of L)

Finally... if you are not entirly sure what to do, or are looking at an easy pass... go with Management. You still get to be a litte more creative with your assignments (not as much as marketing, but way more so than accounting or finance), and organizational behavior theory is pretty easy. From the people that i have talked to that have gone through the program, it seems like the "easier" stream (with easier being a relative term, of course).

After Note: Your first semester, you will do 1 course from eachs tream, as well as an introductory business computers course (easiest 97% since grade 2:thumbsup: ) and one more class...cant rememebr what its called, but it goes over things liek writitng letters and resume's... again another REALY easy 90%...
But yeah, they let you take an introductory class to each stream so you can kind of get a feel for everything, and they dont make you select a course until 3 months in i beleive..unless they changed it since i went there...

ricefarmer
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM

in that case i would suggest marketing, as much as i hated marketing in my first year, marketing can really be applied to any industry and i think it would give you the most useful skills especially in starting your own business.

Foreign1
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
well... do you want to be rich?

if you do.. go finance. it teaches you most things you need to know about money and how to be rich off money

B20EF
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by s dime

I am also currently enrolled in hotel and restaraunt management at SAIT, and I do have options to choose from. This year, my choices are small business (entrepeneur) Hospitality ( Hotel ) or restaraunt.

BTW: what class are you in B20EF?

I'm in my third semester, i picked small business. It's a good course if you want to learn how to start your own business.

If your just starting out there the most important thing is picking good groups. You do a thousand group projects so pick hard workers, not your friends, unless their nerds. I've used the same group for the last twenty or so projects.

l8braker
10-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
English, grammar and punctuation 101 is key before taking BA.

So is grouping thoughts, and Comma usage 101... Just Kiddin ....... :)

Seriously though, you have to do the University Transfer for this to be worthwhile. That's my opinion, but a two year diploma, even from Sait, will severely limit what you can do..

saiyajin
10-26-2005, 11:17 PM
^ hmm i dunno im in 2nd semester of the financial major right now
in 3rd and 4th semester ill be taking the Canadian Securities Certificate course
and to think when i graduate il have it about the same time as my manager is right now as she is getting it to move up to FSR after working 3years as CSM
so IMO not too shabby :dunno:

HuMz
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
did my first year last year but got out of marketing, unless you plan on going back for the 4 year degree or have prior experience, its tough finding a good job specifically in marketing field without a foot in the door on the 2 year diploma.......finance and accounting have alot more opportunities from what ive heard

B20EF
11-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Another bonus about accounting is right now they're looking for tutors as long as you received a B+ or better and they pay $30/hr. Thats a pretty terrific wage for part time student.

crazyning
11-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Another bonus about accounting is right now they're looking for tutors as long as you received a B+ or better and they pay $30/hr. Thats a pretty terrific wage for part time student.

I took accounting and think it was a good choice. Where were they hiring tutors? At SAIT? I wish I knew about this when I was going to SAIT.

If you do end up majoring in accounting, I recommend taking tax with Carmel Robbins. There are lots of people who say that this is the hardest course in the accounting program, but I recommend it.

B20EF
11-03-2005, 10:20 PM
^^^Yah right now at SAIT they're looking for people particularly in Hospitality Accounting. First year accounting, it's very basic stuff, but a alot of people have trouble with it thus the high demand for tutors.

Zenshi
11-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Im doing accounting right now at sait. Im in my last semster... to me its pretty easy stuff. You just gotta understand the concepts, you really dont have to understand complicated math (Like calc.).

I heard accounting is fairly easy to find jobs in the market, but Ive been too lazy to get off my bum and find one. Finance, err its a little harder but not all that bad. Marketing, is a real bitch to find a job directly related to that field. As for management, dont really need to explain the jobs you can get with that! ;)

Take your first semster, then decide. Find what you really like out of the 4, and go from there... and plz plz... dont choose a major because your friend chose it. This choice is for YOU, not them.

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the info

jus another quick question does the tuition include books, or are books a seperate cost

also is it possible to major in accountin and then get ur diplomas in Finance and management

B20EF
11-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Books are not included in fees. Each semester cost me about $400 for books. I bought new books and just for myself, some people can find used books and share with other people.

When you go on to get your degree it should just be a Bachelor of Commerce or Management so it's general anyways.

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Books are not included in fees. Each semester cost me about $400 for books. I bought new books and just for myself, some people can find used books and share with other people.

When you go on to get your diploma it should just be a Bachelor of Commerce or Management so it's general anyways.

thanks so im going to sait and startin my first semester in Jan and it ends in april so pretty much that semester will cost me $400

l8braker
11-09-2005, 10:52 PM
^ hopefully only 400. they might want you to get the next version of the textbook.

iirc, it was around 300 for me. find someone who is 1st semester and buy their books that you need for cheap.

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
^ hopefully only 400. they might want you to get the next version of the textbook.

iirc, it was around 300 for me. find someone who is 1st semester and buy their books that you need for cheap.

do i need to buy the books when i pay for tuition or can i buy them after

l8braker
11-09-2005, 10:57 PM
no, you pay for the tuition first, then you will get a book list of everything you will need.. when the time comes post on here which ones you will need and someone will hook you up. or if that doesn't work, i could ask some classmates for ya.

mine are already taken though :burnout:

B20EF
11-09-2005, 10:57 PM
What do you mean, the books or the whole semester will cost you $400. I'm just sayin the books will cost $400, plus the mandatory pints for lunch until you get your first set of tests back:thumbsup:

l8braker
11-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Mmm beer

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:04 PM
no, you pay for the tuition first, then you will get a book list of everything you will need.. when the time comes post on here which ones you will need and someone will hook you up. or if that doesn't work, i could ask some classmates for ya.

mine are already taken though :burnout:

thanks ill post it when i actually start, all i no is first semester of buisness admin is wut im takin lol and i dont even remeber how much tuition is all i no is my student loan is in

and it would b gr8 if i could get used books off someone, lol it wut b alot cheaper for me lol,

wut did u major in at Sait

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:20 PM
managment 1st sem.

yea, get them cheap instead of the bookstore *shudder*

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
managment 1st sem.

yea, get them cheap instead of the bookstore *shudder*

lol thanks ill prolly get it off my buddy hes takin marketing so its prolly the same books
most likely get my books off him

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:25 PM
good luck man:thumbsup:

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:26 PM
good luck man:thumbsup:

thanks man

btw what was the easiest and funnest course in first semester

accounting, finance, management or marketing

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
there are those 4 plus Communications and Business Computers (BCPT), so 6 your first sem

I really enjoyed Marketing and COMM cause i'm a people person :rofl: I hate numbers so there, but I learned alot from all of them.

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:31 PM
there are those 4 plus Communications and Business Computers (BCPT), so 6 your first sem

I really enjoyed Marketing and COMM cause i'm a people person :rofl: I hate numbers so there, but I learned alot from all of them.

ive always been horrible at math but i took Financial Management in high school and has 98's and 100's in it so would it b a good idea to take the accountin major

also i was thinkin management cuz i love to tell people wut to do and make sure its done asap, also where i work they are constatnetly lookin for managers so it would b easier for me to get a job as a manager there

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
^ yea, for sure. it's good for people who are good at leading, and can motivate people to do their work well.

ACCT is tough I find. But as long as you know the formulas, and do the Lyrix (online studying) you should be fine.

oh yea, do the lyrix!!! sooo important.

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:36 PM
^ yea, for sure. it's good for people who are good at leading, and can motivate people to do their work well.

ACCT is tough I find. But as long as you know the formulas, and do the Lyrix (online studying) you should be fine.

oh yea, do the lyrix!!! sooo important.

wut kind of management are u takin

restaurant, small buisness or wut

l8braker
11-09-2005, 11:40 PM
just the general managent from sait (2 yrs) then I'm going to take something else, maybe an IT degree out in Vancouver.

i would like to own my own small business, as I hate working for other people. haven't found out what that is yet, but I have some ideas :thumbsup:

you?

CanadianBoy69
11-09-2005, 11:41 PM
just the general managent from sait (2 yrs) then I'm going to take something else, maybe an IT degree out in Vancouver.

i would like to own my own small business, as I hate working for other people. haven't found out what that is yet, but I have some ideas :thumbsup:

you?

good luck and thanks for ur help appreciate it

Hamann
11-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm in 3rd semester now with a management major, don't buy any of the textbooks till your teachers ask you to use them, i bought all the books 1st semester and it was a waste of $500, then u never use them again, or just share with someone in ur class (what im doin this semester). But unless u take a finace major, try to keep ur GPA above 3.2 so you can transfer to either UofL or UofA.

skandalouz_08
11-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
I'm in 3rd semester now with a management major, don't buy any of the textbooks till your teachers ask you to use them, i bought all the books 1st semester and it was a waste of $500, then u never use them again, or just share with someone in ur class (what im doin this semester). But unless u take a finace major, try to keep ur GPA above 3.2 so you can transfer to either UofL or UofA.

its totally not worth it to buy the textbooks right away. Wait for about a month and see how you're marks are, first semester i definitely could've got away with buying about 3 of the 6 textbooks and still got A's. I'm 3rd Semester finance, but even if you're in finance keep your GPA above 3.2 cuz you can transfer to U of L with that too.

HoisinSauce
11-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

I graduated from the marketing stream at SAIT, and I realy enjoyed it. I recomend Marketing if your the creative type, because there is a lot of free range in the direction you can take with some of the class projects...eg. 4th Semester Retail Marketing...you get to design your own retail apllication, whatever it is that you want..and go through and make a business plan...design the store..ect..

If you like numbers, but are not a cruncher, i would recomend Finance. Its got lots of math in it, but it isnt as extreme as accounting. Plus, you learn a lot that you can apply to your own spending habits.

If you can deal with number crunching infront of a computer, then go with accounting. Its not to bad if you are good at math, but it can be tedious sometimes. However, employees in this field are highly sought after, especialy if you continue on to U of L (sait has a transfer program set with them if you have over a 3.0 GPA, you can go straight into your 3rd year at U of L)

Finally... if you are not entirly sure what to do, or are looking at an easy pass... go with Management. You still get to be a litte more creative with your assignments (not as much as marketing, but way more so than accounting or finance), and organizational behavior theory is pretty easy. From the people that i have talked to that have gone through the program, it seems like the "easier" stream (with easier being a relative term, of course).

After Note: Your first semester, you will do 1 course from eachs tream, as well as an introductory business computers course (easiest 97% since grade 2:thumbsup: ) and one more class...cant rememebr what its called, but it goes over things liek writitng letters and resume's... again another REALY easy 90%...
But yeah, they let you take an introductory class to each stream so you can kind of get a feel for everything, and they dont make you select a course until 3 months in i beleive..unless they changed it since i went there...

Communication class.. I keep falling asleep in that class :guns:

ringmaster
11-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Hopefuilly you will get Shoaib Nasir for 1st semester COMM.. his class is a blast. I have all the texts you will need if your interested.

GreyFox
11-10-2005, 08:08 AM
:werd: Shoaib is the man! haha, he is a great teacher and his class is almost too fun!

l8braker
11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
^ I have Brenda Precesky, who is a pretty good prof too :thumbsup:

2000impreza
11-12-2005, 11:41 AM
^ I have Brenda Precesky, who is a pretty good prof too :thumbsup:

i hated that bitch. haha. i argued with her almost every class... till i stopped going altogether. still finished with a "A" somehow :dunno:

l8braker
11-12-2005, 11:52 AM
^ really? I could see how she could have a bitchy side, but so do all prof's :D I really like how she teaches.

CanadianBoy69
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
does anyone have used books for First semester of BA

saiyajin
12-04-2005, 02:35 AM
^ i got the Accounting book and Finance book

CanadianBoy69
12-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
^ i got the Accounting book and Finance book

pm me regarding how much u want for it

00sir2
12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I've still got all of my books too from first and second semester... PM me if you want anything

CanadianBoy69
12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
do i need my ti 83+ graphing calculator or can i sell it

saiyajin
12-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Itll be helpful when you take bmath you can use the TVM solver hah

CanadianBoy69
12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
Itll be helpful when you take bmath you can use the TVM solver hah

lol i think im takin that this semester

but other hten that i wont ever need it eh