PDA

View Full Version : Help: Car Audio Jargon =|

AdamFink
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
EDIT 2 :: I have one more question to throw out there, the rest below have been answered!

I'm hooking my speakers up to an amp, then the amp to an alpine cd player im buying I suppose... The CD player will still improve the speakers performance even tho the speakers arent directly connected to the CD player right? The cd players dont really provide enough power it seems.

Hello!

I was looking for some help on all of these vocab words when looking at speakers, amps, etc, when I came across these forums ... so here it goes! Any help to any of these questions would be great!

First off, I was looking at these component speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TsHio1M5LWt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=107DB6500 Theyre Polk Audio db6500 and provide 100 watts RMS power. I noticed that they were 2-way speakers, and there are different types of speakers (2-way and 4-way and such).

So my first question is -- What are the pros and cons of 2-way speakers and 4-way speakers, if any? Or, where could I find this information?

Also -- I wouldn't need component speakers in the back because the tweeter is unnecessary, right? So, if component speakers aren't necessary in the back, would it be a good idea to still get the same brand? Or would it be a good idea to just get the same speakers and leave out the tweeters?

Ok ... finally I was looking at amps. I want an amp to give full power to all 4 of my speakers, so thatd be 400 watts. However, I also plan on getting a sub later on, and want an amp that can power a 300-500 watt sub, so I was looking for something around 1000 watts for an amp. I didn't really understand what they were talking about for the amps when it said 100 watts x4 and what not.

I'm looking for an amp that can power 4 speakers with 100 watts, but also power a sub later on when I get one, so any help with that would be great. Also, if you could explain what the 100 watts x4 means, that'd be neat too. I'm guessing it means it supplies 4 inputs with 100 watts? But if that's so ... Id have to get another amp to power my sub?

Any help to any of my questions would be great!

Thanks!
-Adam

EDIT :: Also ... I noticed you can get many new speakers on ebay for much cheaper. The businesses that sell these speakers have like 10,000 feedback, so it's safe right? =)

A790
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by AdamFink
Hello!

I was looking for some help on all of these vocab words when looking at speakers, amps, etc, when I came across these forums ... so here it goes! Any help to any of these questions would be great!

First off, I was looking at these component speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TsHio1M5LWt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=107DB6500 Theyre Polk Audio db6500 and provide 100 watts RMS power. I noticed that they were 2-way speakers, and there are different types of speakers (2-way and 4-way and such).

So my first question is -- What are the pros and cons of 2-way speakers and 4-way speakers, if any? Or, where could I find this information?

2-way speaker - typically a woofer and a tweeter. For example, a 6.5" 2 way coaxial speaker will have a woofer to deliver lower notes and a tweeter built onto the cone (or on a seperate smaller cone) for the higher notes.

A 3, 4, 5 way speaker is the same principle; different cones for different notes. I have Pioneer 4 way speakers in the rear and it has TWO larger cones for bass and two different sized tweeters.

Also -- I wouldn't need component speakers in the back because the tweeter is unnecessary, right? So, if component speakers aren't necessary in the back, would it be a good idea to still get the same brand? Or would it be a good idea to just get the same speakers and leave out the tweeters?

I wouldn't say that you need components in the rear. Typically rear speakers just provide "fill" while the front provides the actual imaging. Components in the front make a huge difference, whereas in the rear you wouldn't notice a difference between them and a coaxial set.

And yes, get the same brand if possible. This way there won't be a discrepancy in tonal quality or otherwise.

Ok ... finally I was looking at amps. I want an amp to give full power to all 4 of my speakers, so thatd be 400 watts. However, I also plan on getting a sub later on, and want an amp that can power a 300-500 watt sub, so I was looking for something around 1000 watts for an amp. I didn't really understand what they were talking about for the amps when it said 100 watts x4 and what not.

I'm looking for an amp that can power 4 speakers with 100 watts, but also power a sub later on when I get one, so any help with that would be great. Also, if you could explain what the 100 watts x4 means, that'd be neat too. I'm guessing it means it supplies 4 inputs with 100 watts? But if that's so ... Id have to get another amp to power my sub?

There are several ways you can go about this. You could get a FIVE channel amplifer (4 channels for speakers and 1 for a sub) or get two amplifiers- one for your speakers, and one for the sub.

When an amp is rated at 100 watts x 4 channels, it means that it has 4 channels that it will produce 100 watts into, for a total of 400 watts. Generally, if you have 4 speakers, get a 4 channel amp.

Don't look at what your speakers max power requirements are, look at their RMS requirements. That's how much power they can continously handle- likewise, look at the same number on the amp. Only high end speakers need 100 watts RMS, and only a high end sub needs 1000 watts RMS.

EX- Subwoofer X is rated for 350 watts RMS, 1000 watts peak. You would buy an amp trhat put out 300-350 watts RMS, and not even really worry about the peak number (usually twice the RMS rating).

EDIT :: Also ... I noticed you can get many new speakers on ebay for much cheaper. The businesses that sell these speakers have like 10,000 feedback, so it's safe right? =)

Sure, so long as they are selling BRAND name speakers and not no name garbage. If it's your first stereo setup, I'd go into a stereo shop (Soundsaround, Visions etc.) and get them to do it all for you.

As a matter of fact, PM me if you want to go that route (I have good friends at Soundsaround here in Calgary).

Hope that helped a bit!

- Cam

EDIT: Just saw that your in Ohio. I'd head down to a stereo shop (even Best Buy as a place to start) and get someone to explain it in more detail. Chances are that you're going to have to get someone to install it all for you anyway.

Maybe you can swing yourself a deal with a sales rep.

AdamFink
10-25-2005, 05:00 PM
wow thanks for all the help!

I really appreciate all the time you took to answer each of my questions in detail. I have a much better understanding on what to purchase now to make everything work out. I'll probably end up getting my speakers off ebay, because I have found them new at half the price everone is offering and just take them to circut city to get installed.

Once again, I thank you for your time and effort!

Best of luck!
-Adam

AdamFink
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Don't look at what your speakers max power requirements are, look at their RMS requirements

BTW the 100 watts was the RMS power, and 300 watts was the max power ... I have that down now, but it was probably the only thing I really understood before coming here :thumbsup:

A790
10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
No problem. Everyone deserves good audio :thumbsup:

silva27
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Cam, I learn something new today too!:thumbsup:

A790
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by AdamFink
EDIT 2 :: I have one more question to throw out there, the rest below have been answered!

I'm hooking my speakers up to an amp, then the amp to an alpine cd player im buying I suppose... The CD player will still improve the speakers performance even tho the speakers arent directly connected to the CD player right? The cd players dont really provide enough power it seems.

The CD played will most likely be connected to the amp through a set of RCA cables (very similar to what you use to connect your DVD player to the back of your TV). Get a decent, magnetically shielded set to avoid any ground noise...

Sorry, back on topic :D.

The amplifier will be powering your speakers. So, so long as the amplifier is recieving a good singal from your CD player, and as long as the amplifier you bought is a good amplifier (decent power, effeciency rating, low distortion etc.) then yes, the speakers will sound better.

In this situation it is important to have a GOOD amplifier (don't cheap out for your speakers). With your sub, it's not so much an issue as bass is omnidirectional and not nearly as clear or defined as a speaker that will be playing midrange/high notes.

In short. Good CD player + good amp + good speakers = good sound.