PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64 Install Help

djayz
10-25-2005, 06:39 PM
so i just purchased a new system with a athlon 64 chip in it

now ive tried several times to install winxp 64...the first few times windows shut down on me and i got a blue screen saying it has been shutdown to prevent damage.

now that i finally got past that part it installed and runs but the problem i have is that the cd must be in the drive and the cdrom must be the first bootable drive.

if i remove the cd it says please insert a system disc and press enter.

so first off is windows xp 64-bit an upgrade to windows xp...meaning do i have to have xp installed then upgrade to 64?

or am i doing something wrong here?

Davetronz
10-25-2005, 09:12 PM
LOL I think you are doing something wrong man...
It is not an upgrade so you dont need to have XP installed before you install 64 bit.
I think you might have a driver/device conflict that is preventing the 64 bit Windows from loading.
Might be something that you have in your case that is incompatible with 64 bit platform.
In other words, stick with 32 bit until there is support and an actual release of 64...

benyl
10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
don't waste your time. You aren't going to see any benefit from running the 64-bit version.

Besides, most, if not all your application are running 32-bit code anyway.

djayz
10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
=( i hate re setting up the computer

when the expected release of 64bit going to happen?

EmJay
10-25-2005, 10:56 PM
im not to sure, but it might be the version of the operating system. If its a "borrowed" copy someone may have tampered with it or something along those lines to make it not function properly. Or is their an activation for this cd that is required?

emjay

rage2
10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by benyl
don't waste your time. You aren't going to see any benefit from running the 64-bit version.

Besides, most, if not all your application are running 32-bit code anyway.
You'd be surprised. There's advantages in using 64-bit code for memory and disk management.

Davetronz
10-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by rage2

You'd be surprised. There's advantages in using 64-bit code for memory and disk management.
Not to forget... Less chance of h4x0rz st0l3z1ng y0ur t3h m3g4hurtzzzzzzzz
:D

djayz
10-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by EmJay
im not to sure, but it might be the version of the operating system. If its a "borrowed" copy someone may have tampered with it or something along those lines to make it not function properly. Or is their an activation for this cd that is required?

emjay

ive tried several versions but i dont get why the computer only boots into windows with the cd in the drive.
everything installed correctly and fully but as soon as i remove the cdrom from the drive and restart it tells me to insert a system disk

and 64-bit does make quite a large difference as rage said. you might not notice it while working but with things going on in the background and what not it works like magic.

djayz
10-26-2005, 01:55 AM
i think ive found out whats wrong
i have a sata drive in as master but i also have an ide drive as master
and in windows when it does boot up my ide is the C: and my sata which has windows on it is D:

ill remove my ide and reinstall and see what happens

sabad66
10-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Go into your BIOS and make your boot drive your SATA drive. If you have a licensed copy of it, stick with 64 bit. Unless you own a logitech webcam that you absolutely have to use.

djayz
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
yah my SATA drive is the boot drive but for some reason my IDE drive shows up as C:
its all messed up right now in the process of taking the IDE out and starting fresh

and logitech webcams dont work with 64bit? haha

djayz
10-30-2005, 03:49 AM
well after working hard and trying many things
turns out my ram was installed incorrectly so i kept getting a memory error
i finally figured out how to turn off the quickboot setting which would skip all the hardware tests in the beginning ...when i turned that on my memory failed =(

so much for memoryexpress testing out the system before selling it

Davetronz
10-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Memory Express tends to test out everything VERY well before selling their product...
I dont work for them but I think they have a very good system all the way from ordering to technicians to POS.

djayz
10-30-2005, 06:05 PM
yah i asked the guy who i was dealing with if they would test the system in any sort of way before selling it
and he said yup we will install an os test out all the components and then remove it all and call you for pick up

seeing as how my ram failed and all i did to fix it was remove it and put it back in...i dont think they tested it at all

Davetronz
10-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Meh it could have been a static shock or something that just had a failure with no given ryhme or reason.
Its computers and electronics, things die, no explanation, no warning. It happens.

djayz
10-31-2005, 02:36 AM
yah POS still isnt working properly
finally got things installed but it likes to restart itself every once in a while like when trying to install the video card drivers

fuck this computer is starting to piss me off

Goblin
10-31-2005, 03:17 AM
The real release hasnt happen yet, that could be one of your main issues.

Did you wipe your HD? Make a new Partition?

djayz
10-31-2005, 03:32 AM
im using the 120 day trial version of xp 64-bit off the microsoft website so nothing should be wrong with it
ive downloaded the file twice and everytime i have reinstalled the OS i did a fresh install so delete all partitions, create new partition and format partition fully

sabad66
10-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Goblin
The real release hasnt happen yet, that could be one of your main issues.

Did you wipe your HD? Make a new Partition?

Uhh, yeah it has... http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=5690&SID=

kaput
01-02-2006, 11:43 AM

djayz
01-02-2006, 04:52 PM
^
thanks kaput...it was fixed a couple months ago...turns out i had bad ram and the guys that built my comp make my system quick boot so i couldnt see the memory test in the beginning.

after i had the memory replaced it all went smoothly