PDA

View Full Version : DivX DVD Player

koopkoop2
10-26-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm thinking of purchaing a DivX DVD player, but I wanted to find out a little more about the quality In DIvX mode,

Is the quality indistinguashible from a regular DVD?

Is it true I can simply load up a DVD with DivX content and play away?

Any recommended players or are they all the same?

/////AMG
10-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes to the 2nd question.

I'm no DVD expert so I can't anser the first, and for the last I doubt Canada has Tevion DVD players.

I got mine fo rbaout $70, works like a charm, I just load movies on DVD/CD-RW's and play them, then just write over them again. I would get those DiVX players where you can download codecs, I'm sure that will come in handy,

dragonone
10-26-2005, 01:30 AM
it depends how the author encoded it
but from what i've exp. xvid has some nice quality vids on the net

djayz
10-26-2005, 01:32 AM
the quality all depends on the source divx file
so if the resolution isnt good on the divx file dont expect much from the dvd player

and yes its true you can just load up divx files onto a dvd disc and play away

theres an lg one at futureshop
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10060449&catid=
this ones good from what i have heard and for the price its good

i went with the http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10062436&catid=
great deal.Has an HDMI output and its capable of upconverting 720p and 1080i which is awesome. I would highly recommend this one over the lg just cuz of the features. And another bonus is this one comes with an HDMI cable in the box.

saiyajin
10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
i have the phillips Divx player i bought from bestbuy for around 80bux i think its a pretty decent player, only bad thing about it is max 8x fast forward which isnt even close to the 32x on my toshiba but whatever
i find that i have watched files taht are dled in HD quality and i watch it on the player and it looks pretty clean
i watched the avi file for Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children and my brother thought i had the original dvd :dunno:

koopkoop2
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
i have the phillips Divx player i bought from bestbuy for around 80bux i think its a pretty decent player, only bad thing about it is max 8x fast forward which isnt even close to the 32x on my toshiba but whatever
i find that i have watched files taht are dled in HD quality and i watch it on the player and it looks pretty clean
i watched the avi file for Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children and my brother thought i had the original dvd :dunno:

Are you saying it's 8X just for DivX or for DVD as well?

saiyajin
10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
its 8x max for all formats

koopkoop2
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
its 8x max for all formats
In that case, it looks like Phillips has just dropped off my short list. Even my current, no-name, cheapo, player can do 100X.

koopkoop2
10-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by djayz
the quality all depends on the source divx file
so if the resolution isnt good on the divx file dont expect much from the dvd player

Ooops, that's the question I was asking, but I somehow managed to type something totally different. Anyways...so the codec is a full implementation of the DivX codec? It isn't some half-assed implementation where the same file is largely degraded in comparison to DivX playback on a PC (Excluding external factors like the quality of the TV)?

Also, what version of DivX is used on these players? Is there anyway to look this info up? I think there's a DivX 6 out right now, so is there anyway to update these players if their codecs go stale?

dragonone
10-26-2005, 11:48 AM
try videohelp.com or afterdawn forums for a definite answer

Xtrema
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Canadian Tire has the Koss for $60 last week that play DIVX.

Walmart has a Diamond Vision for $35 last week that rumor to have DIVX support but I havn't tried that out.

djayz
10-26-2005, 04:23 PM
yes the one at walmart plays divx and its $35 bucks and its a pretty small unit

and most of the new players support divx 5.0 and xvid so there shouldnt be any problems

403Gemini
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
i bought a cheap philips one because it can play divx :D cost like 59.99

koopkoop2
10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
i bought a cheap philips one because it can play divx :D cost like 59.99

Lol, that's the exact reason I'm buying one too.

I already have a DVD player that I'm willing to scrap in favour of one that plays DivX. I recently got a DVD burner and I've come to the realization of how amazing DivX really is. The quality rocks and it kicks the shit out of the DVD standard (MPEG4?) in terms of file size. I have a Divx movie that takes 800 MB on my HD and trying to burn it to DVD in "High quality" results in a 8 GB file :eek:. Just proves how crazy DivX's algorithims are.

There's probably alot of politics behind it, but it should seriously be considered as the codec standard for the next gen of media.

djayz
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
try out the one at walmart if your looking for something cheap that plays divx

if it doesnt work out too well return it

autospeed
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
i bought the lg one that the first link takes you to. At that time i paid $100 for it, so for $80 i think its a smokin deal. Awsome dvd player, and i've thrown in cd's of all formats and its played the vids fine. DivX formatted movies looked great on there as well.

CivicDXR
10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I have the Toshiba one listed up there with the HDMI cable hooked up to the TV... I've got a few DIVX episodes of the OC in HD and Initial D 4th Stage burned to a disc, and they look noticably better on the TV then on any of the computers in my house...

djayz
10-27-2005, 01:20 AM
^^^
thats cuz we get upconversion as well =)

thats a bonus with the toshiba dvd player over the LG one

autospeed
10-27-2005, 01:46 AM
if i had a nicer tv or well more money :nut: i would get the toshiba one as well, and i guess i know what i'm upgrading to next haha, but for the price lg's not bad

TurboZombie
10-27-2005, 08:28 AM
yes the one at walmart plays divx and its $35 bucks and its a pretty small unit

and most of the new players support divx 5.0 and xvid so there shouldnt be any problems

Have you played DivX files on the Walmart dvd player? I have looked at them, and the box has nothing on them stating that they play DivX files?
It is that Diamond DVD player correct?:dunno:

TurboZombie
10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Just did some research, and the Diamond Vision DVD players
DO NOT play DivX. Apparently it was a typo in the Walmart flyer.
Current models at Walmart are:
DVDV807-04
DVDV807-03
DVDV805-03

rage2
10-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
The quality rocks and it kicks the shit out of the DVD standard (MPEG4?) in terms of file size. I have a Divx movie that takes 800 MB on my HD and trying to burn it to DVD in "High quality" results in a 8 GB file :eek:. Just proves how crazy DivX's algorithims are.
DVD is MPEG2. DivX is a variation of MPEG4 ASP, developed by MPEG, same guys that does MPEG2, MPEG1, etc. Other codecs based on MPEG4, WMV, WMV-HD, 3ivx, XviD.

Codec actually came from the same place, and yes, newer is better ;).

djayz
10-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by TurboZombie

Have you played DivX files on the Walmart dvd player? I have looked at them, and the box has nothing on them stating that they play DivX files?
It is that Diamond DVD player correct?:dunno:

if i remember correctly i read on the box that it played divx in the store and you know how they put divx on the dvd player well it showed that in the picture on the box on the dvd player.
and a friend of mine bought it cuz i told him it played divx not sure if hes tried it yet or not.

eblend
10-27-2005, 07:24 PM
mem ex sells some ridata xvid divx dvd players

TurboZombie
10-28-2005, 08:11 AM

if i remember correctly i read on the box that it played divx in the store and you know how they put divx on the dvd player well it showed that in the picture on the box on the dvd player.
and a friend of mine bought it cuz i told him it played divx not sure if hes tried it yet or not.

I had a very close look at the 3 different models at Walmart- Diamond Vision DVD players, and none of the boxes say they play DivX. Have you tested the dvd player with a DivX file?:confused:

jdmakkord
10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
just saw in the best buy flyer, the philips dvd player is 49.99 I think, plus it plays divx for sure.

Xaroxantu Zero
10-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Does it play XviD with AC3 or DTS well though?