PDA

View Full Version : Speed Trap - very unfair!

rage2
02-17-2003, 12:52 AM
No I didn't get caught, but I drive Crowchild Southbound daily between Sarcee Tr. and Shaganappi Trail, and noticed something odd....

Normally, the speed limit is 80km/h.
About a month ago, they slowed that section to 60km/h, construction zone, and speed trap there DAILY.
At night it's marked back to 80km/h.
When there's no speed trap, it's back to 80km/h, even when construction people are working in the day time.
The other night, they only had 1 sign at the 53rd street entrance, small sign marked 60km/h. Pretty late at night, nobody working at all. Guess what? Speed trap! About 6 cars in a row getting tickets.

Pisses me off that they mark it back up to 80km/h to get people to get used to going that speed, then nail 'em when they feel like it by remarking it down to 60.

mrmattyk
02-17-2003, 12:57 AM
I've heard the same story a hundred times. The worst was when they were doing construction on Anderson.

James
02-17-2003, 04:41 AM
Yeah thats BS for sure, they did that alot on Deerfoot around the Mckenzie/Douglasdale area all the tiem, with construction on and off the last couple years, the speed limits seem to change as often as the weather around here :thumbsdow

CLiVE
02-17-2003, 04:52 AM
I've see them there all the time. Was almost caught a few days ago. Not fair...:thumbsdow

Scott
02-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Slow down then

kevie88
02-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Slow down then

For sure, but don't arbitrarily change speed limits whenever you feel like it either, and make sure that it's clearly marked that the limit is changing (Ie "limit ahead 70" signs)

TEG_G2
02-17-2003, 09:52 AM
:thumbsdow

Dope Dealer
02-17-2003, 10:11 AM
My sister got a ticket like that.

She was going 70 and thought no way in hell she was getting caught (Speed limit was 80). Then cops pull her over for going 70 in a 50.

Lo)2enz0
02-17-2003, 10:54 AM
ahh they did that again....

they have been pulling the same sceme every odd time for the past 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago they did it during the day and than kiss announced it on the radio.

Ben
02-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Yeah, those crooked bastards in McKenzie Deerfoot area, there is no contruction happening (even during the day) and they leave it at 70, then one day up it goes to 100 again, last about a week and then then bang, down to 70 for no reason, and out the laser patrol goes and most people are pulled over and given HUGE tckets (generally 40 over or so) because who does 100 on deerfoot?

I'm sure glad I havent been pulled over yet in there, I watch those signs religiously. That is the one senario where I feel cops are going beyond the "just doing their job" title...they could write just as many tickets driving the deerfoot from end to end. Writing up all the fuckers who follow too close and dont signal, instead of pulling over vehicles in groups of 6 or 8 that were all going the flow, safely. :rolleyes:

Glowrider
02-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Speed traps suck. NY Troopers are always setting them up on the various bridges between the islands.

boi-alien
02-17-2003, 02:19 PM
they did that when there was construction on shagannapi crossing crowchild, i got busted like that. such dicks, i mean i don't mind going the speedlimit, but if they change it whenever they set up a laser trap it's just not fair, they should LEAVE it at 50 or whatever all the time, not change it whenever they feel the need to make some money

Hakkola
02-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Yeah, those crooked bastards in McKenzie Deerfoot area, there is no contruction happening (even during the day) and they leave it at 70, then one day up it goes to 100 again, last about a week and then then bang, down to 70 for no reason, and out the laser patrol goes and most people are pulled over and given HUGE tckets (generally 40 over or so) because who does 100 on deerfoot?

Yeah I saw that last week, I gotta be careful there, I went to pick up my gf, there's a car pulled over right by the mckenzie entrance, then I leave 5 mins later and another car is pulled over already, it's the only time I feel sorry for people who get pulled over, I really don't think they deserve it.

Davetronz
02-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Scott
Slow down then
To what speed should you slow down to???
If I am not wrong, I think that was the point of the post...

Joe Malms
02-18-2003, 03:56 AM
That happened to me before as well.
During country hills blvd construction a few years back.
doing 70 in a 70 zone..labeled as a 50 zone that morning..on a small, low position sign...absolutely invisible with any traffic in the right lane (when driving in the left)

What bugs as much is how they are trying to be extra sneaky.
I saw a minivan with a huge dent on the side and its blinkers on pulled over on deerfoot..what do you know? Speed trap.
Then i saw two cars facing eachother on country hills with blinkers with one car having its hood open. Speed trap.
I think thats just lame.

kenny
02-18-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Joe Malms
Then i saw two cars facing eachother on country hills with blinkers with one car having its hood open. Speed trap.
I think thats just lame.

Wouldn't you like it if traffic went speed limit if you were on the side of the road jumpstarting your car? Guess you missed the entire point of the lesson. Its a safety thing, I think those kind of speed traps are fine.

The busted up van.. I agree, thats over the line.

Joe Malms
02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Wouldn't you like it if traffic went speed limit if you were on the side of the road jumpstarting your car? Guess you missed the entire point of the lesson. Its a safety thing, I think those kind of speed traps are fine.

I don't speed. In fact, the only time i've ever got a speeding ticket was the time i stated above with the limit changed overnight and signs basically invisible.

The area the cars being jumpstarted were in was well to the right of any traffic. The area on the side is almost like a whole other lane there.
I just think that they are going overboard. I'm sure everyone will agree with me on the fact that the radar is a cash cow, not a speed deterrent.

Like i said, i don't speed, but i think they're just being a little unreasonable.

CLiVE
02-19-2003, 03:31 PM

I just think that they are going overboard. I'm sure everyone will agree with me on the fact that the radar is a cash cow, not a speed deterrent.

:werd: A speeding tax...

kenny
02-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Like i said, i don't speed, but i think they're just being a little unreasonable.

I'm not trying to be an ass, just TRYING to see things from another perspective... nowadays photo radar is nothing more than a nuisance to habitual speeders... They slow down right before it, go thru at the speed limit and then speed up again. So that supports the argument that its nothing but a cash cow and obviously doesn't deter people.

However... by using these sneaky tactics, they'll actually catch these "smart speeders" and get some money from them. With *SOME* luck, it will deter at least a few of these people from speeding. Success!

Haha... hope that makes some sense. :)

Originally posted by mrmattyk
The worst was when they were doing construction on Anderson.

Anyone that got pulled over there deserved it, you could see the cop from the top of the hill so easily hahah :)

D-MON
02-19-2003, 04:41 PM

:werd: Last night I was driving down 14th St north (everyone who drives it knows there are ALWAYS cops on that road.) So I was doing 60 mabey 61-62 (speed limit 50) and I see this van ahead tinted to sh*t. I slow down to 55-56 (thinking it's a cop) and drive past it. Suddenly a bright ass flash in my rear view! I was like seriously??!! They're going to send me a ticket for doing 5-6 over??? Come on!!!!:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

BarryBeach
02-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by James
Yeah thats BS for sure, they did that alot on Deerfoot around the Mckenzie/Douglasdale area all the tiem, with construction on and off the last couple years, the speed limits seem to change as often as the weather around here :thumbsdow

Yes very gay situation ... now when i'm cruzin on deerfoot around there i feel as if i'm speeding going 80 with 3 LANES ... but thankfully it's back up to 100 km/h 'cause that was a lame ass 5 min's going from barlow to 130th :thumbsdow

Joe Malms
02-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kenny

I'm not trying to be an ass, just TRYING to see things from another perspective... nowadays photo radar is nothing more than a nuisance to habitual speeders... They slow down right before it, go thru at the speed limit and then speed up again. So that supports the argument that its nothing but a cash cow and obviously doesn't deter people.

However... by using these sneaky tactics, they'll actually catch these "smart speeders" and get some money from them. With *SOME* luck, it will deter at least a few of these people from speeding. Success!

Haha... hope that makes some sense. :)

I hear ya. I guess it does have its benefits. I never thought of it that way cause i never really speed..