PDA

View Full Version : Mazda RX7 GTX

A790
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Howdy,

Is it worth the money to import a RX7 GTX? Can anyone tell me what the difference between that, and a USDM Turbo II is?

Are there any mechanical problems I need to know about the RX7 (yes, I'm aware that it's a rotary), or am I safe with it?

If it's going to be nothing but a pain in my ass, I don't want it.

CSMRX7
10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by A790
Howdy,

Is it worth the money to import a RX7 GTX? Can anyone tell me what the difference between that, and a USDM Turbo II is?

Are there any mechanical problems I need to know about the RX7 (yes, I'm aware that it's a rotary), or am I safe with it?

Rotaries have the potential to be a pain in the ass.

They aren't always but can be. If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't get one.

lastprodigy
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't reccomend a rotary as a daily driver now tahts for sure.

JAYMEZ
10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7

Rotaries have the potential to be a pain in the ass.

They aren't always but can be. If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't get one.

:werd: . I am going to have to go with this one dude.

A790
10-26-2005, 05:24 PM
It's not going to be a daily driver, it's gonna be my "weekend warrior" if ya know what I mean...

What I'm asking is if I'm going to have to constantly rebuild the damn thing every year or if it's gonna last for a little while...

CSMRX7
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
If you are like most weekend warrior RX7 owners you will be rebuilding it every year.

Rotaries require, patients, respect, and some restraint.

If you manage these and have a little good luck a rotary can last a long time, I Daily drove my FD for over a year without a single problem, then I took care of it, but took it to the track every weekend all summer, and the only thing that hurt it was the wall!!!

I never had a mechanical problem, but I really took care of it.

Team_Mclaren
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
I wouldn't reccomend a rotary as a daily driver now tahts for sure.

how much do u know about rotarys???:rolleyes:

403Gemini
10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

knows enough to not trust em as a daily driver obviously ;) haha

i dunno rotaries are like dsms. everybody ive known whos had one has had major problems with em.

AutodreamMarvin
10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey Cam,

You want to trade RX7 for Silvia????

Let me know homie!

theken
10-26-2005, 08:26 PM
whats the big problem with rotaries if u take care of them and have a good xhaust wont they be fine

90Tegra
10-26-2005, 09:15 PM
The biggest problem with these cars is that most people don't understand them. Fundamentally, they are intolerant of running lean. (causes detonation, which breaks the apex seals, requires a rebuilt motor) So if you improperly modify the car, you WILL blow your motor. But if you take the time to learn from the others that have gone before you, you can have supercar performance at a much lower price.

JAYMEZ
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
1. You can daily drive an RX-7 with ease and Winter drive it
2. It needs to be maintained and taken care of.
3. You dont need to drive it like a bat outa hell

If you beat the living shit out of it , dont expect it to be nice to you , if you treat it like a lady it will be like a lady , a little bitchy at times but will always be there for you :D

Sorath
10-26-2005, 09:50 PM
cam, do not buy a rotary, ive heard enough of my fair share of rotary stories, no offense to the rotary guys, but all ive heard from rotary owners are bitchy comments/remarks about it

ApexDrift
10-27-2005, 06:44 PM
i really dont understand why people think that rotories are that horrible, ive honestly never driven anything more exciting as a RX-7, all you need to do is maintain the motor, and isnt that something you have to do with every car? ill admit rx-7's arent for everybody, but if you respect the car it'll do you good... i daily drive my car and drift with it...hey its still running fine and i drive a FC which is a 17 year old ROTORY powered car. i honestly cant say no to a car that was built in direct competition with porsche. i say do your research first, learn some more and make a choice then

yay for triangles :clap:

ProjectR
10-27-2005, 07:04 PM
rotaries are great! but like most people they are a pain in the ass...especially older models like the fc

lastprodigy
10-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Why must you attack my post even though many posted the same viewpoint?

He asked, I answered and now I will modify my opinion since he stated that it would promarily be his weekend car. I love 7's dont get me wrong I just dotn think its the IDEAL car for everyday use. :)

JAYMEZ
10-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Rotorys kick ass , such a fun car , and hearing the engine scream at high rpms , its pure sex :D

AsianCaucasian
10-28-2005, 10:49 AM
To answer your initial question, fc's do have a few mechanical quirks depending on the model year. I don't really see a probably with the rotary. Mine's running fine and it's been sitting in a field for 5 years :p You should check some buying guides. http://www.aaroncake.net/RX-7/buy2.htm
and http://fc3spro.com/TECH/h2b.html

A790
10-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the ACTUAL answers people :)

A790
10-29-2005, 12:36 AM
What kind of safe power can I make on an RX7 without killing it?

Sorath
10-29-2005, 12:46 AM
DONT DO IT

A790
10-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
DONT DO IT

KASEM MAN GODDAMMIT. STOP BEING A MOOT :eek:

JAYMEZ
10-29-2005, 10:13 AM
What kind of safe power can I make on an RX7 without killing it?

With all mods , comes a bit of risk , but I mean i see guys with FCs running around 400hp as a daily driver. It really depends on maintence and driving habits.

A790
10-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Looking at 300whp or so, nothing too astronomical. I take care of my cars ;)

Chris Ng
10-29-2005, 02:47 PM
If you have the mechanical aptitude to do your own work (more than doing an oil or sparkplug change).. and have the willingness to learn about your own car and how it works, than an FC will reward you with a smile everytime you drive it...

However, if you are more of the type of guy who can't be bothered to diagnose or fix a problem because you don't have the time or ability, then you better hope you have very deep pockets to keep the car running on the road..

These cars are upwards of 18 years old now.. while the motor might still be good, there are many other things in the drivetrain that will need attention before they leave you stranded.. Many of the local cars will have been abused by the previous owner, improperly maintained by the local shop and put up for sale because the previous owner can't afford to fix it any longer.. do not expect to purchase any FC and not to spend some money and alot of time in the first few months of ownership...

that being said.. a properly maintained FC, taken care of someone who knows how to work on them, can be a very reliable and fun daily driver..

the only reason I do not daily drive my car is because it is impractical in my line of work and it's appitite in premium gas would leave me bankrupt.. mind you, it's not stock either..

http://www.teamfc3s.org/forum/members_cars.php?disp=mem&car_id=69

Last dyno put it at 385rwhp and 315ftlbs torque on pump gas..

A790
10-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng
If you have the mechanical aptitude to do your own work (more than doing an oil or sparkplug change).. and have the willingness to learn about your own car and how it works, than an FC will reward you with a smile everytime you drive it...

However, if you are more of the type of guy who can't be bothered to diagnose or fix a problem because you don't have the time or ability, then you better hope you have very deep pockets to keep the car running on the road..

These cars are upwards of 18 years old now.. while the motor might still be good, there are many other things in the drivetrain that will need attention before they leave you stranded.. Many of the local cars will have been abused by the previous owner, improperly maintained by the local shop and put up for sale because the previous owner can't afford to fix it any longer.. do not expect to purchase any FC and not to spend some money and alot of time in the first few months of ownership...

that being said.. a properly maintained FC, taken care of someone who knows how to work on them, can be a very reliable and fun daily driver..

the only reason I do not daily drive my car is because it is impractical in my line of work and it's appitite in premium gas would leave me bankrupt.. mind you, it's not stock either..

http://www.teamfc3s.org/forum/members_cars.php?disp=mem&car_id=69

Last dyno put it at 385rwhp and 315ftlbs torque on pump gas..

Nice ride!

How much did it take to get to that level of power?

ApexDrift
10-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Nice ride!

How much did it take to get to that level of power?

blood, sweat and tears~... haha jkjk

its actually very easy to to get high hp, with mininal effort, you can do your own modicications, or our friendly rotory junkies at racing beat have a "guide line" to get 250hp-500hp... im not sure if its really really accurate, but i wouldnt throw it out all together.... i know of 3 FC's in calgary that push high hp, chris being one of them, max, and grahem i think.... all are very friendly and very knowlagable.

http://www.racingbeat.com/pdf/perf_guide.pdf

ApexDrift
10-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Howdy,

and to answer that is, there is no difference power wise between the USDM, and JDM, motors... the only difference is the USDM motors have extra useless emission which can be removed and blocked off with "block off plates"....
the only time you'll see power differnces is what year you buy

13b-t S4 motors 87-88 is 182hp
13b-t S5 motors 89-91 is 200hp
these motors are the stock ones, you might be lucky and find a 13b-RE with is a sequential turbo or a 20B whic is a triple rotor twin turbo, but be warned with the last 2 motors you'l be able to watch your fuel guage fall in real time! haha

other then that its driving on the left or the right side adn having a back seat

junpower
06-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Howdy,

Ok to finally answer your Question Unlike other members on this board!

The difference between the GTX and the TURBO II USDM

The GTX has
no sunroof
205 PS (slightly more than the USDM 200PS)
4.30 8" turbo II rear VLSD
Special Bucket Seats (non reclineable)
Nardi Steering wheel
ECT ECT ECT

Turbo II are pretty reliable if driven not more than 30% of capacity 90% of the time.Drive at %100 percent capacity then expect to fix your car more often. tho I have been in rotories with over 200k miles that ran a 14.9 at sears point.(stock car)
It all depends who woned the car and how it was driven and maintained.
The main problem whits these cars is heat under the hood.
Then we have the old rubber bushings.
but the only other thing I can think of is BURNING too much rubber!

A USDM Turbo II is also good enough but the GTX is faster and stiffer.

If you would like me to find a Turbo II for you out here in the states PM me with your budget.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by junpower

Ok to finally answer your Question Unlike other members on this board!

Good thing it only took you three years. Nice bump.

heavyD
06-16-2008, 07:35 AM
To do list:
1. Take out garbage.
2. Buy milk.
3. Bump three year old thread and answer question asked three years ago.
4. Reserve plane tickets for Star Wars convention.

Tomaz
06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
hahahahaha, holy crap! nice bump!

Eleanor
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
To do list:
1. Take out garbage.
2. Buy milk.
3. Bump three year old thread and answer question asked three years ago.
4. Reserve plane tickets for Star Wars convention.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: