PDA

View Full Version : Hakkola - Military Man

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
:rofl: Holy shit, don't know what to say, except that I won't be sleeping much tonight.

Called the Finnish military tonight to see the status of my application to the Finnish Defense Forces, and I've been ordered to their English speaking special forces unit on July 10th 2006. :eek:

Good news is, I've gained about 15 pounds in the past month and a half, now I'd like to gain at least another 35 pounds before I get there, so I'm gonna have to step up a bit on my workouts and get my stamina back.

I guess plans for the car will be put on hold, but I should be able to make it to a couple shows hopefully, before I'm gone.

Exciting news, only thing that sucks is that I'll be out of school for another year at the least.

Don't think I'm gonna sleep at all tonight.

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Congrats man, i gotta put some weight / muscle on as well. Tell me all your tricks :rofl: too lazy to read the workout threads hahaha...but good stuff dude :thumbsup:

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Haha, I've just been working my ass off in the gym, only upper body though, and eating a lot right after my workout and eating healthy.

Thing is I have to start running again, get my stamina way up WHILE gaining weight, which is going to be tough, time to bust out the protein shakes, I'm going to be needing some tips myself.

dj_honda
10-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Are you born in Finland? or 2nd generation or whtever?

How long are you gone for?

Congrats:thumbsup:

Team_Mclaren
10-27-2005, 12:35 AM
that's crazy dude!!!

bring home some finish girls!!!:love: :love: :rofl:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/mazhouma/Military%20MM/Finland3.jpg

I'm sure you'll be busy doing joint operations with other countries as well! It can only be a good thing!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/mazhouma/Military%20MM/Czech7.jpg:thumbsup:

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:35 AM
2nd gen, both parents from Finland, my older sister and lots of extended family there. There's lots of oppurtunities for me there, but I don't think I'll stay. I have my citizenship obviously, but I want the passport and I think military service will be good for me. Post secondary is free there though, so who knows, maybe I'll stay and get my education there.

I'm gone for a year, but I believe every 3 months they'll fly me home (to Calgary).

Finland, high taxes, but mad benefits.

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Haha, I've just been working my ass off in the gym, only upper body though, and eating a lot right after my workout and eating healthy.

Thing is I have to start running again, get my stamina way up WHILE gaining weight, which is going to be tough, time to bust out the protein shakes, I'm going to be needing some tips myself.

See i got the stamina, roller hocky finally got me back in shape, ice hockey is now a joke :rofl: but i just lack severe strength

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Hahaha, nice pics, I love how the guys face is blurred out.

Honestly, most the Finnish girls I've known in Canada I haven't found too attractive, but there are some hotties. Hopefully I'll meet the right girls in Finland, I'm sure they'll love my accent.

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

See i got the stamina, roller hocky finally got me back in shape, ice hockey is now a joke :rofl: but i just lack severe strength

I miss roller hockey, I used to play goalie for two teams in the Chinook league back in the day, I was playing 4 games a week sweating buckets, man was I ever in good shape.

Are there any roller hockey leagues that are competitive for people who are 20 years older and up?

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:40 AM

I miss roller hockey, I used to play goalie for two teams in the Chinook league back in the day, I was playing 4 games a week sweating buckets, man was I ever in good shape.

Are there any roller hockey leagues that are competitive for people who are 20 years older and up?

Yessir, me and my buddy have been playing for a while (more him) i just started up again, but its an adult league, very competitive, lots of fun. Season would be just wrapping up by the time you leave, we could use a full time tendy next year...My buddy organises our team, so if you want in, i can talk to him about it

edit: we play about 2 -3 times a week, and if we get enough money raised, we go on tournaments, like the canada cup i think its called, the road trips are a blast...

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Awesome, I was a VERY good roller hockey goalie and I would love to play.

Let me know, make sure you don't forget. When does registration start?

Team_Mclaren
10-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

Yessir, me and my buddy have been playing for a while (more him) i just started up again, but its an adult league, very competitive, lots of fun. Season would be just wrapping up by the time you leave, we could use a full time tendy next year...My buddy organises our team, so if you want in, i can talk to him about it

edit: we play about 2 -3 times a week, and if we get enough money raised, we go on tournaments, like the canada cup i think its called, the road trips are a blast...

fuck i wann play bitch!!! I dont wanna go in net dude..:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

btw matt: come play ice hockey with us

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Awesome, I was a VERY good roller hockey goalie and I would love to play.

Let me know, make sure you don't forget. When does registration start?

registration is in march i think we start getting our shit in gear. Its just over 200$ to play i believe, i wont forget, i'll try and remember to bring it up with him tomorrow to see whats up. You can also play out if you want, we usually had a steady rotation going on. msn me if u want, so i can make sure i dont forget, hahaha.

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:48 AM
I prefer goalie, but I was decent when playing as a forward, nothing special though.

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

btw matt: come play ice hockey with us

let me know when, I'll get the ol' skates sharpened.

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:50 AM
I prefer goalie, but I was decent when playing as a forward, nothing special though.

Forward isnt a big deal in roller hockey, i mean, first time i played, i hadnt played hockey in 5 years, was drunk (flames game 6 vs detroit) and i got 2 g notes and an apple, ahahha havnt looked back since...

I mean some teams its pretty intense, but we have a few solid players that u just feed it to them, and let them do the work, hahaha.

Team_Mclaren
10-27-2005, 12:50 AM
do u have full equipment? come play on me and jaret's team..

AllGoNoShow
10-27-2005, 12:51 AM
I'll take care of the Benzo and wash it every day with the bimmer while your gone ;)

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
do u have full equipment? come play on me and jaret's team..

:werd: he can be my D partner for a game, i'l cover for him...

vince, last game me and rc (my buddy) worked it out, uhad 0 shots against when we were on, and we were + 6 or 7 , bahahahahah, OWNAGE...

7thgenvic
10-27-2005, 12:54 AM
i'll take it off your hands, daymn after seeing that at school yesterday, i would gladly take her!

but thats sweet news, you'll be a killing machine in no time

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 01:03 AM
I think I only have my roller hockey goalie equipment left over, all I have for ice hockey is skates and a stick, I'll look at getting some used stuff, but my ice skating ability is nowhere close to where it used to be, it might be embarrasing the first couple times I go out there.

This thread went so off track.

I'm not selling the BeNZ! haha, my mom will probably drive it and ruin it while I'm gone though. :(

ryder_23
10-27-2005, 01:05 AM
:hijack:

yes finally got to use it...hahahaha

OK BACK ON TRACK PEOPLE

yes, i know i'm the #1 culprit for this, hahaha...i'm done

/////AMG
10-27-2005, 05:11 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats! We need lots of pics of the women and cars, thats all I ask!!

shakalaka
10-27-2005, 05:36 AM
Hahaha, nice pics, I love how the guys face is blurred out.

Honestly, most the Finnish girls I've known in Canada I haven't found too attractive, but there are some hotties. Hopefully I'll meet the right girls in Finland, I'm sure they'll love my accent.

First of all, Congrats man on making it into the army.

And as far as accent is concerned, trust me, you will be loved.
I recently moved to Scotland for studies and everything, and even though there are lots of international students here, and there are like 100's of different accents, chicks seem to dig the Canadian accent. Its fuckin awesome, and I am lovin it. lol

statick
10-27-2005, 05:50 AM
congrats, that awsome that u got into the military. i was actually considering going to the royal military college of canada. they pay you to sutdy with them and ur housing/food is paid for, but u have to work with them for at least 5 years after graduation. let us know how u like it:thumbsup:

Vagabond142
10-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Statick: there is also the continuing ed entry plan. They pay you to go to the University of your choice, and when you grad it's five years service, which in the view of things isn't that long of a service period.

For the military occupation I'm looking at if I don't make it on the JET Programme (Japanese Exchange and Teaching, basically get paid $40,000 cdn a year to sit on your ass and mark english tests 2 hours a day, from all the blogs and first hand accounts that have been told), which is MARS Officer, Navy, it's a commitment of 9 years. But, I love the sea, it's always been in my blood (I'm a New Zealander), and she calls to me to this day :love:

statick
10-27-2005, 10:29 AM
^maybe i can go to u of c and get paid to go there....but i dont think they'd pay for living expenses/food/tuition....would they?

Vagabond142
10-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Ummm... go down to the recruiting center at the Harry Hays building downtown (it's close to the Telus tower, the main one, not the switchboard). It's a big, low, flat building, two floors. I think you get off the LRT at City Hall and head north to get there, I'm not 100% sure, but I know that it's near Telus. They have people there that will answer all your questions.

As far as I know, the military covers your tuition and books. You are also paid an OCdt salary, so basically $1500/mth, if I remember correctly (it's been a looooong time since I've talked with the guys downtown, like seriously 10 months, so my info is less than current, nor accurate). That should be enough to cover housing and basics (food, binders, paper, etc).

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS. I am an UNOFFICIAL source of information. If you want official info, head to the recruiting office and talk to the dudes at the front desk :thumbsup: (of the recruiting center.... go in the main doors of the Harry Hays, up the escalator, and BOOM it's right there, in the middle of the floor, with Canadian Forces posters all over it :bigpimp: )

statick
10-27-2005, 02:34 PM
they open on saturdays?

Vagabond142
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Okay, I just got back from downtown, picking up my application to the Navy. I talked to them about entry plans, and they said that the ROTP (Regular Officer Training Program) is the one that you're after.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx?id=9

^^^^^^^ Info.

Basically, you are paid to go to an accredited university (the U of C is one), they'll cover pretty much everything and pay your books and such. BUT.... you CANNOT get out of your 5 year commitment to them or you forfeit all your subsidized stuff. They also reserve the right to send you on training programs over the summer or any semester you are not in school

EK 2.0
10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
on olkona auringon Hakkola??