PDA

View Full Version : Funny things that happen at your Gym.

5hift
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I work out at Westside Rec Center reguarily and entertaining stuff happens on a regular basis so I'm guessing its like this all over Calgary.

I'm talking about everything from the hot chick that completely embarassed herself or the old guy that makes up his own exercises.

ricefarmer
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
may i refer you to a rant by 1 Cent

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101931

5hift
10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
This idea about the thread came to me yesterday at the gym.

We have this regular guy who's like 25 years old, 6'3 and 250 lbs. He is always lifting huge amounts of weight. Anyways yesterday huge guy is squatting his usual weights and I'm on one side doing the leg press. On the other side is another squat rack and it has this old guy and his wife who is just watching him lift. The old guy is clearly way out of shape but still has the gator gym sweat suit and the fanny back and weight belt and the 1980's ear muff headphones. Anyways as huge guy starts upping the weight, old guy needs to feel strong infront of his wife so he keeps upping the weight to an amount that was clearly too much for him to lift. I think old guy realized he had over done it but since everyone in that part of the gym had seen him put the weight on he was going to try it anyways. So two seconds later huge guy is pulling the barbell off the old guy who crumpled immedietly to the level of the saftey stop.

Ekliptix
10-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I've never been to a gym. That's the only funny story I have.

gran turismo
10-27-2005, 12:37 PM
In Leduc a few years ago the powerlifting championships were being held there. So their were a bunch of competitors working out at the local gym. There was one guy who struggled for probably 30 minutes to get this spandex shirt on. He's screaming and yelling and pulling. He's buddies are pulling and screamin. So he finally gets in on, does his first rep on the flat bench and RIIIIIP. Shirt's torn. Of course I didn't laugh out loud. He was probably about 280 lbs.

Later on, another big guy was lifting a very heavy weight and he tore his pec muscle and dropped the weight on himself. It took 3 people to lift the weight off him. That was definitely not funny.

DUBBED
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Watching Gord Gilles workout at Mount Royal is pretty funny, he has absolutely no clue what he's doing. I was watching him do squat presses one day and he was doing the positive of the press on the negative of the squat. Looked like an umpaloompa trying to lift weights. :rofl:

V6-BoI
10-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
Watching Gord Gilles workout at Mount Royal is pretty funny, he has absolutely no clue what he's doing. I was watching him do squat presses one day and he was doing the positive of the press on the negative of the squat. Looked like an umpaloompa trying to lift weights. :rofl:

Haha it's even better when you see some guy that you normally watch on T.V.
I don't think I've seen anything funny happen at the gym before. I don't really pay any attention to anyone at the gym.

Vagabond142
10-27-2005, 04:19 PM
My story relates to the look on my PhysEd teacher's face back in Grade 12....

Anyways, those that know me know that I have extremely strong legs. So in high school, we're doing the "fitness month" of the phys ed program, so I hop on the inclined leg press... 300 lbs + machine weight = no problem. Teacher puts on 100 more lbs. No worries. His eyebrow goes up...

This continued until there was 550 lbs + machine weight + four average high school students (say 150 lbs each), so basically 1150 lbs and change. Three reps. Teacher's jaw drops to somewhere around his ankles, he points at me, then just waves his hand dismissively and walks off :rofl:. I legpressed over half a ton of weight :D One my prouder moments, and I think after I get back into the swing of things, I'll be able to do it again :)

b_t
10-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Funniest story.. hmm well there is a Stampede Wrestler that works out in my gym, Kid Nichol... the guy is fuckin huge. Like six and a half feet tall and I think he weighed in at 250 pounds. He always roars like he's been shot when he squats, though, so one day he was doing some ridiculous amount of weight (four plates a side), doing his regular pained grunts, when all of the sudden he did an even more pained grunt then usual - except he squeaked up like five octaves and sounded like a little girl crying. He put the weight down on the rests as fast as he could and started playin it down, but it was still hilarious.

Hakkola
10-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Not really a funny story, but I always laugh when I see people on the mat with only toes and elbows touching the ground (can't remember what it's called), and their ass is way up in the air. Then they brag to whoever they're with about how long they can hold it :rolleyes:

~Leah~
10-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Not really a funny story, but I always laugh when I see people on the mat with only toes and elbows touching the ground (can't remember what it's called), and their ass is way up in the air. Then they brag to whoever they're with about how long they can hold it :rolleyes:

Front plank or front bridge... I know, they're doing nothing for themselves!

ERTW
10-29-2005, 01:41 AM
what are you talking about they are doing nothing for themselves? that is one of the best exercises you can do to strengthen your core. i use it all the time, and it came highly recomended to me from my coach. to make it more difficult one can put their feet on a 4kg. medicine ball and try to balance on top of it while also still doing the bridge. now that is a great exercise.

~Leah~
10-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by ERTW
what are you talking about they are doing nothing for themselves? that is one of the best exercises you can do to strengthen your core. i use it all the time, and it came highly recomended to me from my coach. to make it more difficult one can put their feet on a 4kg. medicine ball and try to balance on top of it while also still doing the bridge. now that is a great exercise.

Good for you. Did you read his post? When people are doing that exercise with their asses 4 feet in the air. It does nothing. Thanks for comin out bud.

2002civic
10-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Good for you. Did you read his post? When people are doing that exercise with their asses 4 feet in the air. It does nothing. Thanks for comin out bud.
haha buddy got told

ecstasy_civic
10-29-2005, 12:28 PM
she hasnt been so fiesty lately, its nice to see :rofl:

Wildcat
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
i saw this guy puke all over himself when he was at the bottom of a squat. he still got the weight up lol. :barf:

ricefarmer
10-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
i saw this guy puke all over himself when he was at the bottom of a squat. he still got the weight up lol. :barf:

hahaha! holy shit thats disgusting

1-Cent
10-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Thats not funny, if anything you should have shook his hand and tried to be more like him. :drool:

ecstasy_civic
10-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 1-Cent

Thats not funny, if anything you should have shook his hand and tried to be more like him. :drool:

:rofl:
such a hardcore:bigpimp:

Foz
10-30-2005, 12:54 AM
This wasn't funny.

Working out in my previous employer's gym. There's this overweight guy running on one treadmill.

He's sweating a hurricane. While running he grabs the "shared public towel" off the machine and lifts his shirt up and wipes his torso/belly and face.

Totally disgusting. My initial thoughts were, maybe it's his own towel. I continued to work out and kept an eye on him.

Sure enough, it was the towel for that treadmill for public wipes.

Idiot.
:thumbsdow :nut: :barf:

YCB
10-30-2005, 12:57 AM

kinda embarassing to say, but i puked yesterday from squats.. not all over myself.. near the car when i left haha.. :drool:

is that sick feeling from the lactic acid build up? or blood going to your legs instead of your brain?? :nut:

Wildcat
10-30-2005, 03:51 AM
^ive puked a number of times at the gym, but i always make it to the toilet :rofl:

1-Cent
10-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I workout in my basement.. at first I'd run for the window and hurl outside and then hose it down but that was pretty nasty so I adopted what I like to call the squat bucket, plastic pale beside my power rack :D

My worst encounter with the squat bucket was when it was the end of an already grewling leg day and my buddy goes 'hey i bet you cant do 315 30 times before we call it quits'... i got to about 26 or 27 and was just like 'oh shit... SHIT! SQUAT BUCKET, NOW!' I dry heaved for a good 5 minutes and then laid on the floor in the fetal position for another 20 lol its funny now but at the time i just wanted to die.

ramminghard
10-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Saw Ralph Klein at the gym today.

Foz
10-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
Saw Ralph Klein at the gym today.

Was he drunk and :barf: ????

three.eighteen.
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by YCB

kinda embarassing to say, but i puked yesterday from squats.. not all over myself.. near the car when i left haha.. :drool:

is that sick feeling from the lactic acid build up? or blood going to your legs instead of your brain?? :nut:

did it for my first time today...after leg press and squats i started sweating all cold...then i chucked tuna and tabasco sauce :barf:

rahim
11-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gran turismo
There was one guy who struggled for probably 30 minutes to get this spandex shirt on. He's screaming and yelling and pulling. He's buddies are pulling and screamin. So he finally gets in on, does his first rep on the flat bench and RIIIIIP. Shirt's torn. Of course I didn't laugh out loud. He was probably about 280 lbs.

thats a bench shirt, and he must have been pissed when it ripped, those things are fuckin expensive

Vagabond142
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
The other day, I was in the U of C gym and doing my regular leg toning, and there was this ANCIENT guy sitting down at the pull-down bar... Well, he puts on 100 lbs and I'm like "oh shit, this guy's gonna hurt himself," so I hop off of my machine and stand, not intrusively, ready to jump in and grab the bar if he called for help. So he uses his cane to reach up and pull down the bar, and then does 20 reps without even so much as a pained grunt. :eek:

After that, he let the bar up gently with his cane, stood up, nodded at me, and hobbled off... I just stood there, then :rofl: a bit

B17a
11-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Just watching skinny high school kids trying to lift tons of weight is always a source of amusement for me! The other funny thing is watching all the guys' heads turn like they're on a swivel when a nice piece of T&A walks/runs by.

stevieo
11-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by B17a
The other funny thing is watching all the guys' heads turn like they're on a swivel when a nice piece of T&A walks/runs by.

damn amuteurs!
they put all those mirrors in the gym for a reason :D

Wildcat
11-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Just watching skinny high school kids trying to lift tons of weight is always a source of amusement for me! The other funny thing is watching all the guys' heads turn like they're on a swivel when a nice piece of T&A walks/runs by.

hehe, the "ego" trainers as i call them.

B17a
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

damn amuteurs!
they put all those mirrors in the gym for a reason :D

I've mastered those techniques!:thumbsup:

Vagabond142
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Funny story from today!!

At U of C gym, ~11 am... guy and girl are at the squat rack by the stretching and exercise mats at the far end of the main floor... guy is spotting girl as she does ~100 squats (she had N-I-C-E legs :drool: )... except, he is spotting really REALLY close to her... ie whenever she went down, her ass was pushing hard into his pelvic area. With the amount of pained grunting from her, it seriously looked like a sexual encounter and I had to quickly avert my face so I could burst out laughing as soon as I got upstairs at the fit center :P Sex @ the gym :bigpimp:

Super-Grandpa was there today again... except this time he was doing the front push machine with ~120 lbs. I seriously am in awe of this guy... he looks like a skinbag when he's hobbling along, but as soon as he exerts, muscles just seem to burst out of him, and he looks better than half the people exercising at the time. He is fucking RIPPED under the loose skin.

Also... had a german speed skater in the gym Monday... guy squatted damned near 600 lbs for a warm up :eek: