PDA

View Full Version : buying used car from a dealership

rtsen
10-28-2005, 01:40 PM
If I buy a used car from a dealership:

1) do you have to pay gst?
2) do you need to get the car inspected before you buy? In other words, do you need to bring the car to another mechanic to inspect the engine?

Thanks

me&you
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rtsen
If I buy a used car from a dealership:

1) do you have to pay gst?
2) do you need to get the car inspected before you buy? In other words, do you need to bring the car to another mechanic to inspect the engine?

Thanks

1) Yes
2) That's up to you, but I would recommend it.

Weapon_R
10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
1) Yes

2) Yes

rockym20
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
1) Yes

2) That depends - if the car is inspected by the dealership to provide you with an extended warranty (i.e. I got a factory warranty good for another 2 years/90,000 km when I bought my Volvo), then it probably isn't worth it to you. However, if there is no warranty, then definitely do it.

HRD2PLZ
10-28-2005, 03:01 PM
1) Yes, and if you have a trade-in you only pay GST on the difference.

2) I would, most dealerships will inspect them but in most cases its the dealership you are buying the car from who is the one inspecting the car.... I got kinda screwed by High River Honda for not having a car inspected a couple years ago :thumbsdow

lastprodigy
10-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I would stay away from it. But yes you do have to pay gst, I have bought one used car from a dealership....but thats cuz we knew the people personally :)

Rav4Guy
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
just make sure you find out the history of the vehicle (origins, owners, maint. logs)

buying a used car.. that's one or two years old is an excellent way to save yourself money. New cars get hit with most of the depreciation once it's off the lot, so why get hit with it.

as for the inspection...... it really depends on what kind of car it is, the warranty (if applicable), the year of the car, the dealership, and of course... what area the car was owned in.

rc2002
10-28-2005, 09:03 PM
1. You have to "pay" GST. I use that term loosely because the price is always negotiable. You could very easily convince them not to charge you the 7%.

2. I would definitely get an inspection. Lots of used cars at dealerships come from auctions and other sketchy sources.

EK 2.0
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
1. You have to "pay" GST. I use that term loosely because the price is always negotiable. You could very easily convince them not to charge you the 7%.

2. I would definitely get an inspection. Lots of used cars at dealerships come from auctions and other sketchy sources.

agreed...on both counts...

Raz2
10-28-2005, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't ever buy a car, new or used from a stealership...

- Rasmus

EK 2.0
10-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Raz2
I wouldn't ever buy a car, new or used from a stealership...

- Rasmus

I dunno I sell both new and used...and tehre are great deals to be had if you know someone in the industry...

Raz2
10-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyones toes, what I simply meant was that most dealership prices have too much overhead for regular folk like me to afford them.

It seems that any car I see in the bargainfinder or autotrader that are from dealers are usually 1/3rd of the price more than the privately owned ones...

But if there is a lesson to be learned about good/bad dealerships, I'm always willing to learn! :)

- Rasmus